Zero Punctuation: Mass Effect 2

Orange Monkey

Mar 16, 2009
Ahh Gareth Gobelcoque! From the days gone by when ZP had different musical intros and outros for each vid, Tabula Rasa if I rememeber correctly.
Havn't played Mass Effect 2 yet but looking forward to it, not looking forward to that mining side mission -_-

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Gazisultima said:
Umm, all I get is a 404 error message :S and people comment fast :S
Got that one too, realized I should wait a minute and check later before I made a comment.

I agree with the "choices" you get in most of these kind of games. You have to be the good guy because otherwise you'll get a crappy ending and need to play all over to get the good one. Great video as always.

axle 19

Bearer of the Necronomicon
Aug 2, 2008
Totally agree. Fantastic story telling and writing but the combat move about with the speed of a sodden turd and the team AI was lacking but hopefully in the third game they can find the right combat system to go with the story.

cieply

Oct 21, 2009
Well, my god, the tosser liked it! I'm genuinely surprised abd I agree with pretty much everything said.

ivarsa15

Nov 21, 2009
I agree with all of Yahtzee's complains. This is the first time he actually nailed all of my personal complaints, and as usual he gave me a couple of new ones too.

A1

Jul 9, 2009
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Oh man... I haevn't laughed that hard from a ZP in a good long while.
Best part: RAAAR SHEPARD SMASH, and the following animation.
Good times.
I agree. This one was hilarious.

So I guess Yahtzee has ultimately mixed feelings about the game. It does well in the story and writing departments, which as Yahtzee indicated is 100% expected from Bioware at this point. But at the same time the Mass Effect franchise is still somewhat lacking when it comes to gameplay, although most RPG fans probably won't care all that much.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I'm not quite sure I understand the hostility towards being able to select your gender...

Is it odd that I always find the offhand comments the most infuriating? I mean, why throw in the comment about indeterminate gender? Personally I don't like ManShep, as he is often referred to, much preferring Jennifer Hale's voice work to that of Mark Meer.

I suppose my thought is... why comment on it unless you're going to propose something better as an alternative, or perhaps by providing some clarification?

Bah! I told myself I wouldn't watch this one, and I did anyway... that'll learn me.

Telperion

Storyteller
Apr 17, 2008
Hi Yahtzee!

Space vampire? Heh, heh...

Well, on the other hand not having dozens of boring places to visit in a crappy-bouncy-mako is good. And: yes, everyone who hasn't hibarnated since the release of the game knows the planet scanning stuff sucks. I could almost say it's the worst part of the game, and not be too much off.

I enjoyed playing an Infiltrator too! O' the new sniper rifles are fun, fun, fun!

Hey! You are becoming complacent in your assumption that everything Bioware touches is instant Storyteller Gold! Or, was that your way of saying that you enjoyed it? I can't tell the difference.

Nice touch on the Even Online comparison.

Cheers!

Footinbox

Oct 28, 2009
squarks said:
not to mention Mordin Solaris sounds ALOT like Yahtzee.
hilariously true! Never noticed that. As for the video, it was funny. I do disagree with his comment on gameplay though. It has been improved since ME1. I think it is a good game. Cuz if i went with everything Yahtzee said, I'd only have about 3 games. But he's still good at what he does and funny as well.

TZer0

Jan 22, 2008
I bet those who recommended Yahtzee EVE online regret it now. :p

Fun to watch, as always.

PessimistOwl

Jan 19, 2010
IF you find the combat too easy, switch it to a harder mode. Criticizing a game for being too easy when it starts on the second easiest difficulty setting by default is like complaining that your soda is too far away because it's out of arm's reach. Do something about it and up the difficulty. When I noticed that the enemies went down on default difficulty like a little boy in a republican politician's secret molestation basement, I upped goddamn the difficulty so they'd be tougher to kill and have access to the same powers I do.

For the record, insanity is a goddamn blast to play, challenging but not impossible.

Also, fuck the exploration segment of the first game. Was I the only person who was bothered by the complete lack of fauna on EVERY PLANET IN THE FUCKING UNIVERSE in that game? That alone gave the first game a copy paste sort of feel.

This is only the first or second review I can think of that I really found myself at odds with Yatzhee's criticisms.

ThisWasAWaste

Aug 7, 2009
Suskie said:
I do like how he tried to make the fact that BioWare are known for good writing sound like a negative (and failed miserably).
I didn't quite seem like he was doing that to me. From the review I'd say he actually enjoyed it a bit, but his job is to nitpick, so thus he has (with valid points).

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
ME2 is my fave game ever. Thank GOD they ironed out the flaws from the first one, they do get on your nerves after a while. Good review :D

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
He was pretty fast in this video.

Well that's mass effect 2 so up next will probably be Dante's Inferno then Bioshock 2.
(i'm doing this for fun so please no one call me out on this okay)

Tyrann

Dec 25, 2008
Posted at first to say link was broken. Amended after it was fixed and viewed the video.

Slaanax

Oct 28, 2009
I thought space wolves usually shoot bolter rounds at you though, of course they could be using lascannons.