Zero Punctuation: Mass Effect 2

buddycat

Feb 24, 2010
Excellent review and spot-on. The mining is *dull*. You can tell players to ignore it if they don't like it, but then what's the point of having it if it's only enjoyed by some? I don't want to spend 50 bucks on a game that's only 80% fun. I miss the planet exploration; as the view from the ground provided an interesting perspective on many of the planets, and I appreciated BioWare's creativity in coming up with varied terrains and atmospheres in the first ME--I especially loved the planet with the moon (or, dual planet, maybe) that was shearing its atmosphere. Instead of fixing the Mako--maybe with a jetpack, per Yahtzee's suggestion--BW instead substituted mining, which got tiresome. That was my only real complaint, that the lack of planet exploration made ME2 seem confined; I believe Yahtzee picked up on this as well, so I'm glad it wasn't just my own gripe.

Can't complain about the game, otherwise, and it's obvious that ZP loved it and was really reaching for anything to complain about; yet, it came off as entertaining as always.

Sandaime

Oct 5, 2009
I actually liked the vehicle bits from the first Mass Effect. Nothing more satisfying than smearing your enemy across the planet surface. Or ramming them off a cliff. Or shunting them into hot lava.

Anyway, I'm interested to see Yahtzee tear into Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening. They almost make it too easy.

Seriously, did they think Dragon Age was too long to make Awakening part of the game, but then get too lazy to make an actual sequel?

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Sandaime said:
Anyway, I'm interested to see Yahtzee tear into Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening. They almost make it too easy.

Seriously, did they think Dragon Age was too long to make Awakening part of the game, but then get too lazy to make an actual sequel?
Alright seriously, how many people do we have to tell this to, before the majority actually understands this. Bioware wasn't just lazy and not made the Awakening part, it's about the deadlines. Yes even companies like Bioware have deadlines, and they usually have to stay pretty close to them. Awakening, and any other DLC they put out, is stuff they wanted to put in the game, but ran out of time, because they have to polish the game so it isn't a buggy piece of shit.

Second of all, am I seeing gamers get even less tolerant? First it's "Oh DLC is a waste of time, compile it into a Expansion Pack." Bioware says alright and starts development on Awakening, which is an Expansion Pack. Now its, "Fuck the Expansion Packs, those lazy bastards should have every little idea they came up with in development and kept at the grindstone until an epic game that will keep me playing until I die is created. Grow up.

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
About the "Romancing Tali" issue aka "should or shouldn't you romance her?" ...

Of course you should! And don't forget to romance everything else there is to romance! In case you paid good money for this game, why wouldn't you want to try and discover everything it has to offer? Explore all the possibilities (non-romance as well)?

Sorry. The completist in me gets carried away sometimes.

ward0630

Nov 25, 2009
Its not a bad game all told. In fact I'm starting to question what goes on in Yathzees mind. Apparently his idea of a good game is mindless slaughter and uncensored titties. I can't say this without sounding like a fanboy, but I enjoyed it and if you've enjoyed any other bioware RPG you will love this one.

ward0630

Nov 25, 2009
??? He wasn't talking about the plot which really wasn't supposed to be focused on the reapers. I didn't see any giant plot holes either. What ME2 r u refering to?

Gvaz

Sep 8, 2008
I agree 100000000000000000000000000000000000000% of everything he said in this review.

also, if it wasn't obvious (it should have been) he was saying that bioware DOESNT have good writing.

Kramcake2516

Feb 8, 2010
Another good review totaly agree with the mining point your commander shepard for god sakes not Edward Hargraves lol

redsoxfantom

Jul 22, 2009
Glad I waited until I had already played the game a bit before watching this, otherwise the fact that Shepherd dies in the beginning would have been spoiled. Lucky Break.

Fusionxl

Oct 25, 2009
Mass Effect 2 is good stuff, but it does get me confused every now and then since I haven't played the first game. The first two hours were spent mostly on figuring out WTF is going on, who is who and what they do, occasionally it throws in some new dude(ette)s who you are apparently supposed to know, which makes some strange conversations since I'm not entirely sure how to talk to them.

But other than that, well worth the time. Plenty of talky talk, colorful characters, mostly enjoyable combat ( face it, smashing a warp blast right into someone's jaw IS satisfying ) and nice story.

+1 cookie from me.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
very good review (I was just playing ME1 and was thinking about trying out ME2 once I'm done)
tho I feel lately he's been rushing to find the bad points, point them out...and that's it really
not saying that he's sacrificing humor for efficiency but...idk, been distracted by the mana bar and book? haha well best wishes to ya

Mangroth

Mar 28, 2010
If there is no cosmic radiation making you play this game, you must think it's realy good! :)
That aside, played it few times myself, had great fun except for two things - mining (ofcourse)
and how do you get spaced, fall towards a planet and you've got just all your bones broken and stuff. Ripping off from "The fifth element" would've been better.

happyschnapps

Dec 16, 2009
I just finished this game and thought this it was completely awesome!

I do agree with Yahtzee about how easy it is to be a sniper. I was given the option to start using sniper rifles midway through the game and eventually I had to stop using it because the game wasn't much of a challenge afterwards...

Mangroth

Mar 28, 2010
I do agree that it's easy to be an infiltrator, but have you tried the difficulties beyound casual and normal.

Hey_look_a_cat

Dec 31, 2008
"The writing was good but then again bioware doesn't get points for that anymore" I laughed so hard at that, cause its true, heck I still am falling in love with the dialogue in bioware games