Zero Punctuation: Mass Effect

Steve the Raven

Dec 6, 2007
I dont know I wasnt rolling on the floor until "MASS ERECT" came up and love toothpaste had been said. I like mass effect and I am sure not insulted by what somebody says on the internet over A: a game I like B: a game I have or C: go check out the gamespot forums youll see my point like a big fat whore jumping out of your screen and face sitting you to death.
Overall it was entertaining but if I had to choose this is my least favorite one.

Lanowar

Oct 10, 2007
You know what annoys me about these reviews it's not Yazthee at all it's the fact when the videos end your greeted with a random advert for a product most people will never be able to buy outside of America. If you don't pause it at the end your find it hard to go back to watch it again.

eggdog14

Oct 17, 2007
David Cat said:
I fail to see how yahtzee can complain about too much dialogue considering how much of it there was in art of theft
There wasn't any dialogue in Art of Theft.

And i totally agree about webcomics, they can't really be that funny if it takes 10 minutes to get to the punchline. And it usually isn't that funny.

RentCavalier

Dec 17, 2007
Art of Theft has all skippable dialogue and Trilby is one of the more refreshing characters I've seen in games, all told.

Evilducks

Sep 20, 2007
Seems like he skipped over some of the more glaring issues that I've seen in the game. The texture popping is increasingly annoying, the elevators are arduous and skipping the side quests meant we missed out on the fact that the same 4 buildings make up every structure in the fucking galaxy. Fortunately they decorate with different sets of giant boxes from time to time. The game is also bad at handling some of its own niftiness, for example sometimes when you get hit by biotics it throws you into places you can't get out of without reseting the game, even if it just meant you had to pull yourself up 3 feet...

The good/evil choice you get with this game seems to at least have a bit more middle ground than the Mother Teresa or Hitler angles of Bioshock at least. While there is quite a bit of dialog, all of it is spoken including half the journal he was talking about so you can just listen to most of the writing. The voice acting isn't horrible.

Another question is why are the humans the only species in the galaxy with both male and female genders? Granted the thought of a female Krogan is a bit frightening, still it seemed kinda odd because they implied that only one of the races was single gendered.

J.theYellow

Jun 1, 2007
Satisfying, but now that we all ought to know Yahtzee's leanings when it comes to games and what's supposed to make them fun, I wasn't surprised at all. But well done anyway.

Annonchinil

Dec 19, 2007
He shows Planescape Torment and the complains about dialogue? Although PS;T did have the best dialogue of any game.

Cato

Dec 19, 2007
Was that an ogre fish in this week's episode? God, I hate those things.

Ack well, the review made up for the horrible image of what I can imagine my death will involve.
Hooray!

bean

Dec 19, 2007
I wonder if it is possible to make an RPG that Yahtzee could like. Play as a socially challenged misanthrope. Use special abilities to channel your rage into non-violent activities in order to avoid behavior that would get you thrown in prison. Obtain and equip over 300 witty remarks and devastating comebacks. Learn to summon your disgust, and ultimately choose not to save the world because, you know. . . screw 'em.

milocade

Nov 7, 2007
Ashley Williams is the full name of Bruce Campbell's character out of Army of Darkness. As cool as that character is and the possiblility of it being a hommage to Army of Darkness, doinking the female version of a cool guy action star is not what I want to be doing in a game. I guess if your a real die hard fan you can screw the female version of Bruce Campbells iconic character but you may want to check yourself into a psych ward.

Lockback

Nov 28, 2007
I liked Mass Effect, and I think you do lose a fair bit not doing the side quests. However, I am impressed that Yahtzee actually took the time to point out that he didn't do the side quests. However, I am always a sucker for story, so if you aren't interested in story I could see it being tedious.

Tumbler360

Nov 28, 2007
Great Roast!

Didn't much care for the game so it's nice to hear someone else say the kinds of things I felt about the game. The dialog in general felt gratuitous, after a few conversations I just got tried of listening to everyone ramble on and wish they'd spent all that time making more content for the game instead of voice acting.

Open galaxy to explore my ass. There are a handful of planets you can land on and at best there are some enemies to kill. If it's not directly related to the storyline the planet seems to be a cookie cutter area slapped together with some glue and random stuff sitting around.

And without the animated video sequences there is really nothing involving space in this game. You can tell your ship where to go but it's basically a fancy loading screen, you can't control your ship in space, you only get control of your character once you've docked and been dropped on a planet. Some of the storyline levels are great but I never felt like I was in space, just magically transported from planet to planet.

I was hoping for more...

J.theYellow

Jun 1, 2007
Oh yeah, and I had to look it up, not being a Proust scholar: À la recherche du temps perdu, or "In Search of Lost Time"/"Remembrance of Things Past," is perhaps the largest single modern storytelling device with some 2,000 characters; Proust died before he could finish the edits on the final three volumes (there are 7 total) and there was apparently an improved English translation some years back so people who can't be bothered to learn French can still claim to have read it and sound smart.

So there.

Hypersapien

Nov 14, 2007
Callipygian [http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/callipygian] superman!

No one on the tubes can hold a candle to Yahtzee when it comes to pure unadulterated wit.

SatansBestBuddy

Sep 7, 2007
Oh, what's this, I got here before the 100 post mark?

Cool.

Loved the Bruce Cambell bit at the end, as anyone who's so much as tried to poke around your site will find so very, very funny.