Zero Punctuation: Metal Gear Solid 4

spudpuffin

Apr 27, 2008
brazuca post=6.62443.519335 said:
Hey!!! MGS series is the Matrix of video games. You just need open your mind. Yes I would vote in Kojima for President!
yes it is indeed like the matrix in that the first one was brilliant and the others are all just to piled up with bullshit and suck

bartos

Feb 18, 2008
I guess MGS4 is not so bad. I'd like to play it. But I dont have a PS3 and I've been too busy with SSBB and metroid prime 3. But this is something for the future...

bartos

Feb 18, 2008
fan on gamefaqs: omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg...
I lol'd there :p so recognizable

Pastey Old Greg

Jul 2, 2008
I like how he's been ripping on story-intensive games for having clueless characters while we all know exactly what's going on. I remember it was especially bad in the SNES era, where I would reach points in RPG's where I thought I was supposed to solve a riddle (Like in the TWEWY review), but it turns out that I couldn't actually solve it until I had someone tell me the answer. It's never been endearing in movies or TV, so why should games be any different?

MGS4 is not bad or mediocre like Yahtzee's 16-year-old sycophants will say, but it's not (for my tastes) the second coming like many other suggest. In fact, I'd probably love them if the mandatory action sequences (boss battles and others) were a lot more intuitive, and the plot writers would add just a bit more subtlety to the mix.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
It's funny, I saw this one comic from Penny Arcade, making a comment about how people are angry angry that Metal Gear Solid 4 is ranked 9 out of 10, and here Yahtzee is, saying that Metal Gear Solid is, and as always been, badly written.

What confuses me is how Yahtzee was trying to recite how the game went. Usually he likes creative stories, and MGS seemed pretty creative to me when I first heard about it... Though if the cutscenes are as boring and confusing as he says they are, I guess I wouldn't blame him for saying what he did.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
yzzlthtz post=6.62443.520923 said:
Monokeros said:
Too much dialogue and 'adequate' gameplay are what makes up MGS4, if you dont LIKE the story there isnt much to get out of the game.
god you people really talk like you're experts.

the game-play in mgs4 is brilliant and very open ended and the main reason i play the game.

whatever, maybe i'm a masochist or a douche who likes being shoved into small places with a bunch of cunts, but i find the game to be a fucking blast.

that's my opinion, just like when i say things like "i find Yahtzee's review of my new favorite game pedestrian and insulting" or "this review has lowered my opinion of Yahtzee's intelligence, his ability to play games, his video editing skills, his family, any bedraggled pets he might take care of, and his clothing style."

i don't know why i do it, it's mostly just release. it feels good, like dishing out a limit break.

i mean, i can understand why someone might not like this game. it's weird and hard to get into at first. i spent my first hour of playing running around like a screaming idiot bird with a target sign on his bottom. but when i finally got into it, i started to SERIOUSLY enjoy myself, more than i have in any other action game. i might have to go back and play all the other metal gears after i'm thoroughly done playing through 4 on both the top difficulties...

again, i was just hoping for something a little more original from Yahtzee. i'm sure my feelings will mend themselves in a month or so, or if Yahtzee slams NG2, which is unlikely since it's plastered all over the place on this site.

have you even played mgs4, Monokeros? if no, please don't waste our time responding to this post.
God, you talk like a GIGANTIC FANBOY!

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
This review gets most points spot on - I know someone who stopped watching Yahtzee because of this review...god, MGS fanboys are the worst...it wasn't even a very good game!

Shadow-Knight

Sep 11, 2008
I loved how he said Hideo Kojima could be the president of the universe by afternoon. I haven't played the game yet but I've read about the crazy story.

BBQ Platypus

Sep 23, 2008
Speaking as someone who doesn't own a PS3 (or any current generation console), I thought I'd throw in my utterly irrelevant thoughts now that the game's been out for three fucking months. I've played the previous MGS games, and I like the series quite a bit (not so much MGS2, though). I wouldn't go to the level of calling myself a fanboy, though. I don't plan on getting a PS3, and I doubt I'll ever get another console again, even if it means missing out on MGS4. This is partly due to a lack of money, and partly due to the fact that I'm mostly a PC gamer.

So, why am I posting if I haven't played the game? Well, mainly to talk about the shit these games take for their storyline. Much of this criticism is valid - perhaps even most of it. The story is often convoluted and at times devolves into boring wankery (with MGS2 being the worst offender). The mixture of realism and boss-fight sillyness can be off-putting for some (though by the time MGS3 rolled around, I'd gotten used to it). In the end, however, I find it quite interesting the majority of the time - I don't mind watching cutscenes as long as they're entertaining, and generally, these games hold my interest.

My favorite of the lot is MGS3 - its story was more straightforward and contained far less wank than MGS2 had in it (though a couple of the bosses were fairly ridiculous, but then again, what do you expect? It's an MGS game). I never felt like I didn't know what the fuck was going on, like in Sons of Liberty. This is not to say that the plot twists didn't surprise or interest me - they just weren't confusing, frustrating, and self-indulgent like in MGS2. I had a good idea of what was happening and what the stakes were. I'm playing as Big Boss - I know who he is. I'm working for the CIA - I know who they are (unlike, say, the Patriots). I'm going into Russian territory to kill my boss and rescue a scientist who has designed what is basically an early version of Metal Gear - I know what that is. I'm doing this because Khrushchev is pissed - I know who he is (even if they don't pronounce his name right). The consequence for failure is thermonuclear war - I know what that entails. And hey, Revolver Ocelot is in it. The gameplay is better than previous installments, and the environments are expansive and show a great deal of variety.

Really, if MGS4 is anything like that, then I'd probably love it if I ever had the inclination to go out and buy it. If it's more like MGS2, then it's still not all that bad (and, in fact, is better than most other games out there). And hey, let's not forget the first installment. That was great, too.

Really, when it comes to sheer mind-numbingly retarded story elements, none of the MGS games have ANYTHING on Metal Gear 2 for the MSX. I mean, this is a game where Snake has to fight toxic HAMSTERS that kill him in ONE HIT. You kill them by luring them out with some cheese and shooting them. And Metal Gear has a penis. And you defeat Big Boss using a lighter and some hairspray. I wish I was kidding.

So anyway, that's my worthless, marginally on-topic opinion. Why did I post this here? I don't know. Fuck off.

Xazetuf

Sep 14, 2008
You can choose to get rid of the cutscenes or you can choose to use different gameplay elements so at the endo of the day i choose to enjoy my favourite game series.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
I watched the review about 3 times to try and spot the cons. I spotted them, then bought the game and I liked it. Regardless of what everyone says, even Yahtzee in this matter, you do not have to buy all the previous games for the story to make sence. You just have to read the stories in Wikipedia. That's what I did and I grasped about 85% of the whole story, without having played the previous titles. But Yahtzee is Yahtzee and is always right about some things. He was right on the money about verbal explosions, stun gun and other things like the script. But in my opinion, the PMCs are nothing but thick.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
I loved the game, and disagreed for with Yahtzee for the first time ever. but I still loved the review, no point getting upset because we disagreed.

Carthight

Oct 13, 2008
How do you do. Long time viewer, first time replier. You are awesome Yahtzee, and the review you gave for Portal is funny. That being said, I never actually played the MGS games, though I have viewed a number of coughgaycough cutscenes and read that novel they pumped out last year or so. Despite this, I have managed to follow a decent chunk of the plot, and though it is really bananas by the fourth game, I can't really say I dislike it. Oo Maybe it's because I've been reading CLAMP mangas too long, or maybe it has something to do with the fact that I actually understand the plot of FLCL, but the story hardly seems like something worth bitching about. At least to me. . .

Also, take it from a Snake/Otacon shipper: they have been bootknocking in fanart and fanfiction since Twin Snakes.

Othere thatn that, I'm certain you're spot on about the combat. But one thing irks me: no comment on those "deadly beauty" freaks? I'd think Laughing Octopus would have at least garnered some sort of odd reaction out of you.

ChantoriaDemona

Apr 8, 2008
I actually like the game play especially when they started using camouflage(fun times). But when it came to all the cutscenes and nano conversations, I usually skipped them or I would make some food and half listen to what their talking about. Can't they just keep the dialogue to a minimum. "Guess what...there is another conspiracy involving government and someone wants to try and kill you with another military weapon that is again called metal gear. Destroy metal gear and that person before they destroy you." It would save so much time if they just said that at the beginning and then just gave me little clues on where to go. "Sneak to the weapons lab to the north and sneak around till you find another clue, okay?"