Zero Punctuation: Metal Gear Solid 4

Carthight

Oct 13, 2008
Psycho Mantis is actually one of my favorite villains! Seriously though, by the time you get to MGS 4, wouldn't you already assume by the time you get to the "new game/load" screen that there is going to be a psycho somewhere making a Metal Gear, and that you should probably kill this person and destroy their Metal Gear before they destroy everything? We're dealing with Solid Snake! Yahtzee said so himself: If you've dealt with all the overlong cut scenes before, if you've braved through the insane story and plot twists before, if you have given up hope on seeing anything but long, dramatic death soliloquies. . . If you know the insanity is the norm, and that it bugs you so, then why bother getting the next game? it's because you LIKE the series.

naisanza

Jul 18, 2008
The controls in this game were perfect. Though there was a slight learning curve to master aiming, moving, and sneaking. After that its a easy task to hide behind cover and pop out as a soldier runs past you to shoot him in the back with a rocket. Or put every guard to sleep and drag them all to one place and plant trip mines around them, so when they wake up they get a nice surprise.

V1p3r

Nov 15, 2008
Funny, However he should have played on a difficulty higher then 'Very Easy' before reviewing it.Cause most of the stuff said sadly is inacurate.

Bodb

Mar 16, 2008
They should just make a game that's all the boss fights from each game linked together.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
It's true ;_; At least one out of every 10 women will jump on anything that implies guy x guy. Now I have to play this.....

LiquidIroquois

Jun 26, 2008
All the Metal Gear/MG Solid games have good stories but the cutscenes in MGS4 are to long!!! and it doesnt even make up for it in the action. Hideo Kojima sold out big time on this one.

Thel Vadumee

Apr 7, 2009
i think that mr.Croshaw is totally right i thought the game was so boring i didnt even finish the first act, I was like you no this is stupid and and confusing.

Solaris Paradox

Apr 23, 2009
I found Metal Gear Solid 4 enjoyable, but the main flaws that Yahtzee points out are all indeed present except for one:

I found the story very easy to follow. Yes, this is because I knew the previous games' stories, but I also found MGS2 very easy to follow and I hear people complaining about how confusing that game's story was, leading me to believe that either I am some kind of supergenius or the world is filled with retards. Given the history of mankind, it's probably the latter.

I did and still do take issue with the games STUPIDLY LONG MONOLOGUES. Apart from that, the gameplay is fine even if it is too action oriented, and the story was an engaging conclusion to the series. It's a good game, it's just not the *system-seller* it's cracked up to be.

jedidk93

Apr 19, 2009
controls were not bad for me cut scenes were to long ran through the game 16 hours with cut scenes 6 without what i really didn't like were 1 the gekko they were very annoying and could kill u in 2 - 1 hits if you got to close and they made doing a no alert run even harder and 2 the fact that snake is old just a turn off when playing a game with a charecter that i liked turned old and the game was too short but big boss hard or extream or w/e was insane and otacon was annoying boss fights were alright i guess I beat the game 6 times few got almost all the extras story wasn't that bad to understand but i didnt play the snes games so i was abit confused depends on your prefrence i guess and i noticed the game wasnt very focused on them metal gears really mo re of the nano machines and liquid

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
You know what, MGS4 sucked..period

All the game is about is Hideo deciding to push Soild Snake out of the picture just so he could revamp Raiden to a character the fanboys would like. I guess he had a crush on Raiden (I mean he looks like every other androgynous J-pop leading male so go figure) and didn't take it too dearly when everyone hated that character from part two.

And as for the story? It sucked too, so many random side plots being thrown in left and right just so Hideo could tie up all the loose ends from prior installment. It's like I ordered steak at a restaurant and what I got instead was a chicken patty seasoned with a whole bunch of mismatch ingredients left over from yesterdays menu.

The game did have some outstanding parts but it wasn't enough to cover over all the stupid stuff happening in the game...

SPOILER

From a goofball with diarrhea getting Snake's girl in the end to having Big Boss come back from the dead just to die again from the Foxdie virus that is supposedly still in Snakes system...the game even for it's story just had bad direction and left me with a complete bad taste in my mouth.

And Hurray, now we have another MGS game in the future coming out that's going to have nothing but Raiden in it, magically more bad ass then before and not so whinny..>>

And probably still wearing high heels...lol

Draycos27

May 25, 2009
I take great insult to the table top gaming refrence. It is actually very very fun. Then again,mabey that is why i don't have a girl friend:(.

SABRENOSE

Dec 23, 2009
Poorly written? It's just dense get over it...players are forced to consider and reconsider every bit information given to them...and that makes even better if you cut out spoilers that ruin this franchise the suspense and revelation is phenomenal.

SABRENOSE

Dec 23, 2009
Yes MGS3 was the most relevant but thats also because it was story filler and had pre-existing history for players to comprehend. But the CQC pissed me off because I the tutorial was never properly done. Also the weapons were so powerful and plentiful you rarely ran out of ammo like you could in MGS2.

But MGS1 is the best because the story and gameplay had a basic and well grounded flow.