Zero Punctuation: Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - $40 Demo

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
04whim said:
I watched that let's drown out too and was thinking the same thing when I was watching this video.

OT: This reminds me a lot of when the first Zone of the Enders came out and everyone I knew was interested in it only for the MGS2 demo. I didn't care about the demo and was a bit miffed when I tried to talk to people about ZoE only to hear that they hadn't bothered playing it. It seems this time they decided to skip releasing an entirely new game and just package the demo.

And that bomb thing creeps me out; I knew the series was a bit out there but that just seems both gratuitous and well, evil.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Sounds to me like this whole, "We had you extract a bomb from a girl's guts only to have to insufficient time to extract another one from her nether region which then explodes - and oh by the way the bonus feature is hearing her being gang raped" is basically what happens when the developers thought to themselves, "We want to be dark and edgy, but people have the Internet and sensationalist news now, so that sets the bar rather high." Alright, fair enough, if being edgy to you is that important.

I'm more bothered by the duration. Half an hour. Really? Literally half an hour for a $60 AAA PS4 release? I'm not even sure that would be worth the price of the GameFly subscription to rent it.

Researching this a bit, not really a half-hour [http://www.howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=17291], but it's possible to beat the game inside ten minutes if you know what you're doing, and it might take around 13 1/2 hours if you're a completionist. Still, not a real big bang for my buck there.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
The problem with me isn't that Kojima does weird and terrible things to people in his video games. Hell I've read books where awful shit happens and if Video games are art we have to be given the same sort of freedom. My problem is it's shit writing.

2 dimensional characters, a weak plot, poor motivation and no consistency at all in tone means it cant' get away with what something good could. A good book wtih gangrape and a bomb in someones vagina is still good and often can be better for going so dark. Something shit is still shit no matter how much edgy stuff it throws out there. Indeed it often seems worse for it.

Oct 20, 2010
SNCommand said:
erttheking said:
nima55 said:
The only way that bomb-gut thing sounds like it could be any worse is if they put it in her uterus.
Oh don't worry, they didn't. They just put the second one in her vagina...no I am not making this up, I wish to Christ that I was.
It's a snuke
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!
nima55 said:
erttheking said:
nima55 said:
The only way that bomb-gut thing sounds like it could be any worse is if they put it in her uterus.
Oh don't worry, they didn't. They just put the second one in her vagina...no I am not making this up, I wish to Christ that I was.
Oh... Well that is just... SUPER not ok. Like seriously, that is just whole new unexplored levels of not ok, so many that boggle the mind. It makes me look at the whole MGS franchise with a little bit of not ok.

I don't even think the stuff in this game is OK in Japan...

Mathak

The Tax Man Cometh
Mar 27, 2009
04whim said:
Kojima's a hack writer trying to be edgy.
I suspect Mark Millar has secretly murdered Kojima and is now wearing his face Hannibal Lecter-style. This is exactly his type of EDGY EDGINESS. Like, it could have been Nemesis: The Video Game.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
I am okay with dark, the horrible scenes was not a deal breaker for me on their own, but they are so sexualised that it just makes me sick.

And this is metal gear, the game with a biseuxal vampire that blocks bullets by dancing, photosynthetic snipers and cyborg ninjas! It should be camp and over the top and funny as hell. Not.. This!

The sad thing is that I get what he was going for. Metal gears message always was that war is hell and that it ruins lifes.. But geez! I am playing games to be entertained, not cry myself to sleep!

The road between dark and horribly sick and gut wrenching is usually very long, though it becomes a interestingly short leap in Kojimas hands. One could say he skipped entire sections of the morality meter. Going straight from "Ooh, edgy" too "AHH! Dig out my eyes!".

The Last Melon said:
Say what now?

I almost didn't believe the bit Yahtzee said about the bomb surgery and had to verify it on YouTube for myself, and now you're telling me there's a gangrape? What the hell is going on in this crazy-ass game?
Don't forget the child rape, as in forcing a 13 year old boy to rape his 25 year old friend.

Then mentally crushing them both to do it willingly.

Then more rape. And a bit more, and more..

And so on and so on.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
SecretNegative said:
The Gentleman said:
See kids: Shakespeare was the Ridley Scott of his time. Now do you think literature class is boring?
Ridley Scott's kinda shitty. Alien was good and Blade Runner had some very nice visuals, but that's about it. Black Hawk Down, Robin Hood, Promotheus, Hannibal, Kingdom of Heaven and GI Jane were all pretty fucking terrible.
No love for Gladiator, Themla and Louis, or Legend?
I haven't read Shakespeare, but he's atleast supposed to be pretty good atleast, no?
He's pretty good. A nice balance of clean and dirty to make it accessible to all the classes.

And Ridley Scott's filmography is a good way to describe Shakespeare's set of works: everyone has their favorites, and a lot of people will debate which is superior to the others and which ones were outright terrible, but you look in the grand scheme of things and think, "you know, all of them were pretty damn good, even if I didn't like this one or this one."

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
nima55 said:
erttheking said:
nima55 said:
Oh... Well that is just... SUPER not ok. Like seriously, that is just whole new unexplored levels of not ok, so many that boggle the mind. It makes me look at the whole MGS franchise with a little bit of not ok.
I think that was the point. It was supposed to be very much so not ok to drive home just how far the antagonists are willing to go. Also it is worth pointing out that it might not have been in her vagina you don't actually see where they pull it out from so it could have been her but or even sewn into her ass cheeks for all we know. It never actually showed or specified just people assumed.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
The Last Melon said:
Stevepinto3 said:
04whim said:
I would think that having an unlockable audiotape 'reward' of the villain
having a young girl gangraped
is more than "leaning on the fence of being weird a little too hard". That's more like bulldozing the fence and jumping on it with clodhoppers.
Nope. Nope this can't be real. This can't be-*googles it*

Fucking hell.

And on top of that apparently you can examine her underwear-clad, scarred body during a cutscene? Really? Is there a single indulgent impulse Metal Gear won't jump into with both feet? Because this has crossed the line to being just completely not cool.
You know what's weird, too? Ubisoft posts a trailer implying Laura Croft is about to be sexually assaulted and the gaming world goes nuts, but this stuff apparently gets by with a free pass? How the hell does this thinking work?
The same reason PETA went nuts over Assassin's Creed 4 for letting you whale every once in awhile while they let Far Cry 3 go despite the fact that half of the progression in that game is obtained through animal skins, publicity, or lack thereof.

Plus, I think a lot of people are being turned off of Ground Zero because of the price tag for the short length.

Lyvric

Nov 29, 2011
Wow, the price for the demo and the content are both wrong. I guess this is why I only played the very first and second MGS games. Just for running around in a cardboard box in a super secret base to see peoples ?s and !s.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Guys tell me if I'm in the minority here, but I ONLY played the 2nd Metal Gear game, where you're Snake for one mission on a boat and then you're the Fulgrim wannnabe for the rest of the game.
These games are so super goofy, they're virtually unplayable. They are to games what Dr.Who is to scifi; if the writers aren't going to take this seriously, then neither am I.
Now you can say I shouldn't take them seriously, any more than say Goat Simulator. But I get the impression, like I do with post RE4 games, that the writers tried very hard to create a deep, emotional and compelling story. And that they look at their work and they think they accomplished their goal. This is the best they can do and they are VERY satisfied with themselves.
Its like reading a self-insert FanFic; the writer is having a little too much fun with this.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
geldonyetich said:
I'm more bothered by the duration. Half an hour. Really? Literally half an hour for a $60 AAA PS4 release? I'm not even sure that would be worth the price of the GameFly subscription to rent it.
I'm not sure where you got "$60" from; Yahtzee repeatedly said it was $40, and as usual I assume that's only the ludicrously inflated Australian price. Somebody further up in the thread said it was $10 American. Still don't get why they would do that, though, unless they literally ran out of money and had to scrape together some emergency funds to finish the full game.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Everyone is mentioning the really nasty stuff in this game, but I'd also like to point out that the prison camp is very definitely meant to be parallel-universe Guantanamo Bay.

TheomanZero

Jan 12, 2011
Actually, Raiden in MGS2 did have a point -- people enjoyed MGS1 too much without noticing how tortured Solid Snake was supposed to be, so Kojima made a character who tried to be like Solid Snake by playing video games but was actually really pathetic. And then put the player's name on his dog tag at the end, in case that was too subtle.

TheKrigeron

Apr 4, 2013
The tape that everyone is talking about:

I swear if Kojima pulls a "lol t'was out of context they actually were eating lollipops" I'm gonna punch something sentient.

Edit:
Roofstone said:
Don't forget the child rape, as in forcing a 13 year old boy to rape his 25 year old friend.

Then mentally crushing them both to do it willingly.

Then more rape. And a bit more, and more..

And so on and so on.
Well gee, that sound like it would be awful if it occured in real life.

nima55

Paladin of Traffic Law
Nov 14, 2010
TheKrigeron said:
The tape that everyone is talking about:

I swear if Kojima pulls a "lol t'was out of context they actually were eating lollipops" I'm gonna punch something scentient.
Let me remind people that the guy doing this is called SKULLFACE. Tone? Never heard of it.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Lyvric said:
Wow, the price for the demo and the content are both wrong. I guess this is why I only played the very first and second MGS games. Just for running around in a cardboard box in a super secret base to see peoples ?s and !s.
Actually, there is no cardboard box in this one.

Also, :( That appears to be the least disturbing thing about this game.

I completely agree with Yahtzee on Metal Gear games. They are very dumb in brilliant ways and that's one reason they are so loved, but this whole thing just feels a little tacky to say the least.

I get that if we want games to address more "mature" things we have to be ready to feel uncomfortable with them sometimes, but I'm worried that Metal Gear may not be able to do so in an appropriate manor.

Hope Yahtzee will explore this more in an Extra Punctuation.

Drunken_step_dad

Feb 19, 2014
I've been waiting for someone to say it was just the prologue mission chopped off, now for The Phantom Pains to come out and prove us right. I'm still gonna check it out tho, I just got into MGS and can't stop now. It's only $20 off the network for PS3 tho so let's see if it's worth that much.