Zero Punctuation: Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - $40 Demo

inkheart_artist

Jan 22, 2009
JarinArenos said:
Anyone else getting stream not found, and then just an endless loading circle?
I'm getting that problem. Didn't we go through something like this just a few months ago?

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
JarinArenos said:
Anyone else getting stream not found, and then just an endless loading circle?
Should be fixed, had a bit of a syncing issue. :/

UberGott

Feb 20, 2014
Can't argue with a word Yahtzee has to say about the game: Great little teaser of what's to come and it's got me all frisky for PHANTOM PAIN next year, but the price tag combined with the actual play time are a bad joke. It'd sting a bit less if there were a boss battle or a longer teaser or, literally anything, but this does just feel like the prologue level cut off on short notice and sold as if it were something more.

As for everyone being upset about the content for its sheer offensive content: If the whole point is to violently break with the tone of Peace Walker, literally gutting, abusing and raping the left-over protagonists are at least a brutally honest and meta way of accomplishing the end goal. The simple fact that we're all numb to video game violence means the introduction of something worse was inevitable. Short of Skull Face eating live babies or something, I'm not sure what more could have been done to put the audience in the role of actively hating him.

US price on PS33/360 versions is $20/30 (Download vs Physical), and PS4/XB1 is $30 across the board. Packaged versions were set at $40 initially, but lowered shortly before release. No clue what the prices are in Australia, though I'm sure they aren't any lower...

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
What the actual fuck? As in what the bloody hell were they thinking? I watched the ending, it was needlessly gory and really made me uncomfortable. It was in poor taste, but I can kinda get over that. However, that interrogation tape... WHAT THE BLOODY FUCK? I feel I should be put on a watch list for listening to that. I've been gaming for over two decades at this point and I've seen some messed up shit, but this in right up around the top of the list. Who thought that was a good idea?

Seriously, there was a board meeting and someone said "Torture rape!", someone replied "Forced pedophilia!" and people thought this was something they should roll with.

All I can say to that is "Nope!" and jetpack away...

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Every person in the entertainment industry gets the need to be taken more seriously as they get older. This is most definately happening to Hideo. Personally i havent noticed this tape everyone's having fanny-fits abouts and ive played a fair bit of it so far (ya know...just to get my moneys worth), but there isnt really much writing in this game to even criticise. Its just far too short. I dont even remember Keifer saying enough for me to make an opinion on him. Just the odd stifled mutter.
Still...its got everyone talking about it, im going to get the phantom pain either way. Even if through morbid curiosity. So this is probably a wise move on their part. I think the full game will have more room for all that nostalgic silliness that the fans seem to love.

karma9308

Jan 26, 2013
Wait, I'm supposed to annex the Sudetenland second? Fuck, I knew I did something wrong.

OT: Really good video this week, I had to pause it several times so I could finish laughing.

XDSkyFreak

Mar 2, 2013
Ah the anti-consumer scams going on today in the industry. Makes life so much more fun watching people get scammed mor and more everyday.
At least this episode did tell memsomething fun that i can look forward too: a review of ESO by Yahtzee ... oh if only that happens. Then again I don't really need yahtzee to tell me how fenomenaly underwhelming and retarded ESO is ... figured that one out from the open beta and the insane cash grab this game is. But I'm sure some amusment can be had with yahtzee once more bringing the sledgehammer of reality down on all those fanboys who claim ESO to be a fantastic and original game when it is nothing more than a check list of what GW and WoW are doing, implemented poorly and held tighether with bugs and layers upon layers of money demanded from the customer.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
They made a standalone wing commander prophecy expansion and released it for FREE as a thank you to gamers. Now we get demos for $40...........How things changed.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Sounds about right; to me Kojima comes off as desperate and insecure about himself. It's like he's doing anything he can to get attention because, in all honesty, he's really just over the hill. He just isn't as good as he used to be and he's definitely been usurped as the most eccentric designer. In comparison to guys like Suda 51 or Tomonobu Itagaki, Kojima just looks like a square.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I admit to laughing harder than appropriate at Yahtzee's "Lenny" voice, like it was from one of the old Tex Avery cartoons with those two talking bears. I'm surprised Yahtzee didn't compare Kojima to Suda 51 as who's the more kooky auteur.
The Last Melon said:
Stevepinto3 said:
04whim said:
I would think that having an unlockable audiotape 'reward' of the villain
having a young girl gangraped
is more than "leaning on the fence of being weird a little too hard". That's more like bulldozing the fence and jumping on it with clodhoppers.
Nope. Nope this can't be real. This can't be-*googles it*

Fucking hell.

And on top of that apparently you can examine her underwear-clad, scarred body during a cutscene? Really? Is there a single indulgent impulse Metal Gear won't jump into with both feet? Because this has crossed the line to being just completely not cool.
You know what's weird, too? Ubisoft posts a trailer implying Laura Croft is about to be sexually assaulted and the gaming world goes nuts, but this stuff apparently gets by with a free pass? How the hell does this thinking work?
Ubisoft didn't make the Tomb Raider prequel/reboot, I thought it was Eidos and Squenix. But yes, that and what I read on this thread is just too fucking creepy to include in a game. Makes me question the sanity of the developers, as if the inmates are running the asylum.
Mathak said:
04whim said:
Kojima's a hack writer trying to be edgy.
I suspect Mark Millar has secretly murdered Kojima and is now wearing his face Hannibal Lecter-style. This is exactly his type of EDGY EDGINESS. Like, it could have been Nemesis: The Video Game.
Either Millar or Garth Ennis who's wearing a suit made from Kojima's skin. There are quite a few "edgy" writers in comic books now, just darkening up the place, but that's a complaint for another thread.

And these goddamned Rob Dyrdek ads can all go fuck right off.

Tyrfing

Apr 16, 2014
Did this review put anyone else in mind of a conversation between Don and William Willaims?

Sande45

Mar 28, 2011
I don't see the big problem here. Sure it's dark but it's an M-rated game. I don't see how emergency surgery, audio-only implied rape of a teenager (in a Guantanamo-esque torture facility ffs, sorry to burst people's bubbles if you think it was going to be sunshine and unicorns) and someone getting blown up is over the top and too much. I think they actually handled it pretty maturely, for Kojima at least. The bomb scene wasn't sexualised in any way, and no, there's no awkward "there's a bomb in my vag, look" *lifts miniskirt* scene. She just had another bomb in her (not even implied where) because they really, really wanted Big Boss dead. And that torture tape? It only goes as far as to say it happened. The actual act was cut out.

MXRom

Jan 10, 2013
There is something wrong when I am paying half as much for stuff like Mercenary Kings to get twice the enjoyment.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
I sometimes feel like I'm one of the few people who have been gaming since the early 90's and has never played (or even watched) a MGS game. And you know what? I have zero desire to. All I ever hear about any MGS game barring the PS1 original is bad. Disappointment, breaking the fourth wall, plot and characters that appear have to been made by 12-year olds on a sugar high, an ever more incomprehensible storyline, hour-long cut scenes. Seriously, does this series have any redeeming features at all?