Zero Punctuation: Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - $40 Demo

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - $40 Demo

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes.

Watch Video

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Lenny(ie?) was supposed to be likeable? I spent the whole book (and the film) wishing he would die horribly.

Still, this gives me slight hope for MGSV, which I may pick up when it's actually out, and not a glorified demo.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Well... it could have been more. It was gonna be 40 USD, but they decided to lower it by 10 bucks at the last minute because paying 75% of the game's price for 10% of the experience would have been too far. It's solid gameplay, but it's just a means to release something for the Japanese PS4 owners near their launch, and as far as I can suspect a means to pay off their new expensive engine.

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
Well, I'm guessing Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain will likely include Ground Zero as well so no point in buying it really, if not it will probably be a lot cheaper than it is now

04whim

Apr 16, 2009
I would think that having an unlockable audiotape 'reward' of the villain
having a young girl gangraped
is more than "leaning on the fence of being weird a little too hard". That's more like bulldozing the fence and jumping on it with clodhoppers.

nima55

Paladin of Traffic Law
Nov 14, 2010
The only way that bomb-gut thing sounds like it could be any worse is if they put it in her uterus.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
nima55 said:
The only way that bomb-gut thing sounds like it could be any worse is if they put it in her uterus.
Oh don't worry, they didn't. They just put the second one in her vagina...no I am not making this up, I wish to Christ that I was.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
nima55 said:
Yeah, I was wondering if "guts" was supposed to mean that.

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
erttheking said:
nima55 said:
Oh don't worry, they didn't. They just put the second one in her vagina...no I am not making this up, I wish to Christ that I was.
It's a snuke

nima55

Paladin of Traffic Law
Nov 14, 2010
erttheking said:
nima55 said:
Oh... Well that is just... SUPER not ok. Like seriously, that is just whole new unexplored levels of not ok, so many that boggle the mind. It makes me look at the whole MGS franchise with a little bit of not ok.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
erttheking said:
nima55 said:
Trying to who's the sickest villian now, Mr. Skullface from MGS5, or the villain in Oldboy for
making the protagonist have sex with his daughter

The Last Melon

Mar 19, 2012
04whim said:
I would think that having an unloackable audiotape 'reward' of the villain having a young girl gangraped is more than "leaning on the fence of being weird a little too hard". That's more like bulldozing the fence and jumping on it with clodhoppers.
Say what now?

I almost didn't believe the bit Yahtzee said about the bomb surgery and had to verify it on YouTube for myself, and now you're telling me there's a gangrape? What the hell is going on in this crazy-ass game?

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
04whim said:
I would think that having an unloackable audiotape 'reward' of the villain having a young girl gangraped is more than "leaning on the fence of being weird a little too hard". That's more like bulldozing the fence and jumping on it with clodhoppers.
erttheking said:
nima55 said:
Jesus, that just..."makes me extremely uncomfortable" is an understatement.

Everyone talking about this game so far has only mentioned the "40 dollar demo" thing. I'm not sure which is a worse problem, honestly.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Transdude1996 said:
erttheking said:
nima55 said:
Trying to who's the sickest villian now, Mr. Skullface from MGS5, or the villain in Oldboy for
making the protagonist have sex with his daughter
I distinctly remember there being a manga where an evil (albeit lighthearted) queen had a dinner with a feudal lord and served him a well-made hamburger steak, only to reveal that that hamburger steak was made from the lord's son whom she had kept as a political ransom.

Wait, there's two MGSV games?

04whim

Apr 16, 2009
Say what now?

I almost didn't believe the bit Yahtzee said about the bomb surgery and had to verify it on YouTube for myself, and now you're telling me there's a gangrape? What the hell is going on in this crazy-ass game?
Kojima's a hack writer trying to be edgy. And then, to fit in with the tone of all this, there's literally an in game version of him winking at the camera.

Steve2911

May 3, 2010
Evonisia said:
Lenny(ie?) was supposed to be likeable? I spent the whole book (and the film) wishing he would die horribly.
That's sort of terrifying. Please don't kill your kids should you ever have any.

Anyway I pretty much agree with this. It's a fantastic game, and is one of the first games to make stealth feel genuinely organic rather than like a series of hiding places and blind guards. It's just a shame that Konami couldn't resist the temptation to charge for it.

I get the feeling that they put pressure on Kojima Productions to get the game out as quickly as possible (Konami's been bleeding cash for years now and MGS is pretty much its last garunteed payday) and they had to reach a comprimise to make sure the main game could keep the development time and budget it needed to be good.

Either way I'm god damn excited for The Phantom Pain now.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
This being a metal gear game and me having far too little stealth action lately, meant that i had no choice but to hand over my precious money for this. I knew what i was doing and i do feel ashamed just like the moment my landlord rises my rent because i don't tickle his love spuds.
Is kojami going to ever acknowledge what a rip off this is? Because i keep expecting some sort of compensation, at least money off the full game or something. Luckily i got the digital download on 360 so it was 20£. Like fck am i getting the current gen version for more!

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
dragongit said:
Well... it could have been more. It was gonna be 40 USD, but they decided to lower it by 10 bucks at the last minute because paying 75% of the game's price for 10% of the experience would have been too far. It's solid gameplay, but it's just a means to release something for the Japanese PS4 owners near their launch, and as far as I can suspect a means to pay off their new expensive engine.
I don't think Australia got the memo about changing the price. It happens a lot over there.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Dear me, I must be a dreadful softie in the greater scheme of things, considering I got too uncomfortable with the series all the way back in Snake Eater.

Are we sure Kojima doesn't operate out of some kind of home?