Zero Punctuation: Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - $40 Demo

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
The Gentleman said:
I distinctly remember there being a manga where an evil (albeit lighthearted) queen had a dinner with a feudal lord and served him a well-made hamburger steak, only to reveal that that hamburger steak was made from the lord's son whom she had kept as a political ransom.
The "making a parent eat their child" plot actually dates back to Titus Andronicus, one of Shakespeare's earlier plays. Not sure if it had ever been used before then, but we've gotten a lot of great adaptations and parodies since then.

On the topic of MGSV: wow this is messed up. I was never planning on playing it, but the fact that the game, already overpriced and sinister in and of itself, is so violent toward women just makes me want to steer clear forever.

mrm5561

Apr 27, 2010
Xsjadoblayde said:
This being a metal gear game and me having far too little stealth action lately, meant that i had no choice but to hand over my precious money for this. I knew what i was doing and i do feel ashamed just like the moment my landlord rises my rent because i don't tickle his love spuds.
Is kojami going to ever acknowledge what a rip off this is? Because i keep expecting some sort of compensation, at least money off the full game or something. Luckily i got the digital download on 360 so it was 20£. Like fck am i getting the current gen version for more!
im in the same boat as you. being a metal gear fan i had to play it the day it came out, and an hour later i felt like i was the one having a bomb pulled out of me. as for kojami admitting its a rip off he actually went on record saying you can get a hundred hours out of playing it over and over again.... because you apparently can't do that with every game ever made. hell the intro mission in mgs2 took twice as long to beat as their new game 2 console generations later

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
erttheking said:
nima55 said:
The only way that bomb-gut thing sounds like it could be any worse is if they put it in her uterus.
Oh don't worry, they didn't. They just put the second one in her vagina...no I am not making this up, I wish to Christ that I was.
I'm not one to go on about triggers and overly sensitive things in games, but that's kinda squick. Shock entertainment value is a valid form of expression. But I thought Metal Gear was supposed to be deep, where most things had a purpose, no matter how shitty. What is the purpose here?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
erttheking said:
nima55 said:
The only way that bomb-gut thing sounds like it could be any worse is if they put it in her uterus.
Oh don't worry, they didn't. They just put the second one in her vagina...no I am not making this up, I wish to Christ that I was.
Just watched the cutscene, and she says "There's another...in my..." and doesn't specify as far as I can see. (Also, 24 mins of cutscenes)

And...well, having a bomb in your vagina wouldn't be fun, but at least you wouldn't have to be cut open to get it out.

thetenet

Mar 12, 2008
It is a very dark game in some parts, which reinforces the inconsistency problem of the franchise as a whole. That being said, I liked the game, ignoring the price (which it was lower to me in absolute terms since the parallel dollar in Argentina absorbed most of the blow), MGS is one of the franchises in the triple A world that tries to speak of real world problems within the context of its own narrative,it brought up electronic surveillance way before Snowden in MGS2, child soldiers exist all over the world and when they get captured no one gives them any special treatment because of their age.

What other game series dares to bring such things to the forefront? I mean just look at Spec Ops The Line it brought PTSD and civilian killings to the game and hardly anyone played it. This is why I still applaud the MGS series and I will play the Phantom Pain the day it comes out.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Taunta said:
04whim said:
I would think that having an unloackable audiotape 'reward' of the villain having a young girl gangraped is more than "leaning on the fence of being weird a little too hard". That's more like bulldozing the fence and jumping on it with clodhoppers.
erttheking said:
nima55 said:
Jesus, that just..."makes me extremely uncomfortable" is an understatement.
Imagine how she felt.

probably not good.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
30 minutes? I think even Battle of Los Angeles is longer.

"Arranging dead Bodies in the form of a Swastika" that never occured to me to do in game, until now...

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
The Gentleman said:
Transdude1996 said:
erttheking said:
nima55 said:
Trying to who's the sickest villian now, Mr. Skullface from MGS5, or the villain in Oldboy for
making the protagonist have sex with his daughter
I distinctly remember there being a manga where an evil (albeit lighthearted) queen had a dinner with a feudal lord and served him a well-made hamburger steak, only to reveal that that hamburger steak was made from the lord's son whom she had kept as a political ransom.

Wait, there's two MGSV games?
Better yet there is the Shakespeare play were two guys rape a girl by order of their mom and cut off her hands and tongue, and later when her dad finds out he invites the boys' mom to dinner only to reveal that the pie she's been eating is made up of her two dead sons. Ah Shakespeare, what literary genius you are!

Under_your_bed

Sep 15, 2012
Evonisia said:
Lenny(ie?) was supposed to be likeable? I spent the whole book (and the film) wishing he would die horribly.

Still, this gives me slight hope for MGSV, which I may pick up when it's actually out, and not a glorified demo.
Heh. That takes me back to the start of High School where we had to study "Of Mice and Men" in English. I'll never forget that someone wrote

GEORGE SHOOTS LENNY

on the first page of their book. I'm still laughing about that today.

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
I always got the feel that Kojima writes in that particular "stupid anime" sort of way. Having played Revengeance I frankly couldn't help but giggle and cheer at it's attempts at seriousness. It just comes across so very campy that it ends up being hilarious.

"oh no kids brains are getting hijacked to build drones!"
"holy shit remove the pain blockers on my implants itll make me fight gooder!"
"BLAH BLAH BLAH MEMETIC THEORY BLAH BLAH BLAH DODGE THIS BUILDING"
To which Raiden answers, after the villian's defeat:
"YOUR MEMES ARE GOING TO BE FORGOTTEN" in a Batman voice.

God of Path said:
BRB annexing Sudetenland.
I think you mean Suderland.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
mrm5561 said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
This being a metal gear game and me having far too little stealth action lately, meant that i had no choice but to hand over my precious money for this. I knew what i was doing and i do feel ashamed just like the moment my landlord rises my rent because i don't tickle his love spuds.
Is kojami going to ever acknowledge what a rip off this is? Because i keep expecting some sort of compensation, at least money off the full game or something. Luckily i got the digital download on 360 so it was 20£. Like fck am i getting the current gen version for more!
im in the same boat as you. being a metal gear fan i had to play it the day it came out, and an hour later i felt like i was the one having a bomb pulled out of me. as for kojami admitting its a rip off he actually went on record saying you can get a hundred hours out of playing it over and over again.... because you apparently can't do that with every game ever made. hell the intro mission in mgs2 took twice as long to beat as their new game 2 console generations later
Wow. He said that? Who wants to be playing 100 hours of the same level? Granted, fighting games can perhaps get away with this. Though the players who prefer that style of play always know what to expect. Personally, i always try and do things as stealthily as possible, if i go the rambo/action route, it's usually because i screwed up...not because i wanted to play it all again.

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
04whim said:
I would think that having an unlockable audiotape 'reward' of the villain
having a young girl gangraped
is more than "leaning on the fence of being weird a little too hard". That's more like bulldozing the fence and jumping on it with clodhoppers.
Nope. Nope this can't be real. This can't be-*googles it*

Fucking hell.

And on top of that apparently you can examine her underwear-clad, scarred body during a cutscene? Really? Is there a single indulgent impulse Metal Gear won't jump into with both feet? Because this has crossed the line to being just completely not cool.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Evonisia said:
Lenny(ie?) was supposed to be likeable? I spent the whole book (and the film) wishing he would die horribly.
Which, oddly enough, would put it into my comparison of the Metal Gear series.

dragongit said:
Well... it could have been more. It was gonna be 40 USD, but they decided to lower it by 10 bucks at the last minute because paying 75% of the game's price for 10% of the experience would have been too far. It's solid gameplay, but it's just a means to release something for the Japanese PS4 owners near their launch, and as far as I can suspect a means to pay off their new expensive engine.
Plus, if you put it on sale, people will buy it because screw logic, it's on sale.

"You bought clams from Al's Pancake World?"
"We had a coupon."

nima55 said:
Oh... Well that is just... SUPER not ok. Like seriously, that is just whole new unexplored levels of not ok, so many that boggle the mind. It makes me look at the whole MGS franchise with a little bit of not ok.
This is barely new ground for MGS. It's not even particularly envelope pushing, as prior threads on this have illustrated. Like, I get why people are uncomfortable. What I don't get is why this retroactively taints a series that's always been about two steps from tentacle rape.

04whim said:
Kojima's a hack writer trying to be edgy.
And brilliant. And deep. He's basically the end result of a really shitty indie dev given a massive budget and constant ego stroking from a fanbase who will defend the premise of paying 40 bucks for an hour of gameplay because Kojima did it, even though a couple years ago the concept of such a paid demo was floated by (EA? Activision? I forget which, they're so similar in most respects) and people lost their bloody minds. Not to mention Dead Rising, which was only five bucks.

Next up: Phantom Pain will charge for bullets and Kojima's fans will defend the practice so we can literally go back and look and see which of them screamed when the same idea was floated by John Rikki Tiki Tavi.

thaluikhain said:
And...well, having a bomb in your vagina wouldn't be fun, but at least you wouldn't have to be cut open to get it out.
Knowing Kojima, I'm pretty sure the method by which it would be introduced would be worse than being opened up surgically.

As such....

Scars Unseen said:
Imagine how she felt.

In short, I'd really rather not.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Scars Unseen said:
Imagine how she felt.

probably not good.
Imagine how it will feel when tons of MGS fanboys are going to swarm on us, hand wave it all away and say sexism and misogyny exists only in our own mind.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
CarlsonAndPeeters said:
The "making a parent eat their child" plot actually dates back to Titus Andronicus, one of Shakespeare's earlier plays. Not sure if it had ever been used before then, but we've gotten a lot of great adaptations and parodies since then.
maxben said:
Better yet there is the Shakespeare play were two guys rape a girl by order of their mom and cut off her hands and tongue, and later when her dad finds out he invites the boys' mom to dinner only to reveal that the pie she's been eating is made up of her two dead sons. Ah Shakespeare, what literary genius you are!
See kids: Shakespeare was the Ridley Scott of his time.[footnote]Although I still prefer Marlow, the Martin Scorsese of Shakespere's time.[/footnote] Now do you think literature class is boring?

The Last Melon

Mar 19, 2012
Stevepinto3 said:
04whim said:
I would think that having an unlockable audiotape 'reward' of the villain
having a young girl gangraped
is more than "leaning on the fence of being weird a little too hard". That's more like bulldozing the fence and jumping on it with clodhoppers.
Nope. Nope this can't be real. This can't be-*googles it*

Fucking hell.

And on top of that apparently you can examine her underwear-clad, scarred body during a cutscene? Really? Is there a single indulgent impulse Metal Gear won't jump into with both feet? Because this has crossed the line to being just completely not cool.
You know what's weird, too? Ubisoft posts a trailer implying Laura Croft is about to be sexually assaulted and the gaming world goes nuts, but this stuff apparently gets by with a free pass? How the hell does this thinking work?

nima55

Paladin of Traffic Law
Nov 14, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
nima55 said:
Oh... Well that is just... SUPER not ok. Like seriously, that is just whole new unexplored levels of not ok, so many that boggle the mind. It makes me look at the whole MGS franchise with a little bit of not ok.
This is barely new ground for MGS. It's not even particularly envelope pushing, as prior threads on this have illustrated. Like, I get why people are uncomfortable. What I don't get is why this retroactively taints a series that's always been about two steps from tentacle rape.
Even if the series had a history of skirting the line, this still crosses the line. Just... all of my nope.

04whim

Apr 16, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
He's basically the end result of a really shitty indie dev given a massive budget and constant ego stroking from a fanbase who will defend the premise of paying 40 bucks for an hour of gameplay because Kojima did it
I was watching an episode of Let's Drown Out the other day, Yahtzee's let's play series on YouTube with Gabriel, and they mentioned that one of the reasons the Star Wars prequels were so bad is because no one dared to challenge Lucas' decisions by that stage and the only reason the original trilogy came out well was because Lucas wasn't given complete unquestioned control on the project. I feel like Kojima's going much the same route.