Zero Punctuation: Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - $40 Demo

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I've never been into these game and if the first page of this thread is anything to go off of (I'm not going to bother with the next three), I don't think I ever will. It all just sounds like a really awful anime that's trying desperately to be edgy. As far as the 30 dollar price point goes, when people ***** about companies regularly charging money for their tutorials in the future, I will point to this game and hope that the people who bought into this crap feel some sense of responsibility.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Ugh. You hit the nail on the head completely here - I DID like what little gameplay there was, but the fact that I had to pay for a demo for a game we have no clear release date for is appalling. Someone told me I could get 5 hours out of it if I played all of the side missions, but that was also bullshit. Repeatable missions in the same level? No thanks. Don't get me wrong, I did them, but it wasn't fun.

This game just isn't what we were led to believe it would be. Kojima said that Ground Zeroes got so big it had to be it's own game, but there's no obvious sign of that being true here. There's no reason this game couldn't have been part of Phantom Pain.

Razhem

Sep 9, 2008
This is fiction there really is "no line that cannot be crossed". What I do see is an incredibly lack of taste and hack writing at it's finest worthy of Kickass 2. Basically Paz being tortured in various ways could have been changed by a dog and the message would have been the same "the villian is very bad", because for Paz (must be feeling clever for calling her peace in Spanish...) it's never analyzed how this actually affects her.

Basically, this is not being "adult" or "dark", this is being juvenile and 90s comics edgy all over again just because you can. Basically, if you want to tackle the heavy stuff, you actually have to tackle, it, yes there was "torture" in MGS, but aside from not even getting the insinuation of Meryl being raped (which again adds nothing outside of "OOOH LOOK THEY SO BAD!" since physically and mentally she clearly doesn't seem any worse for wear), the torture we see is cartoon torture of being strapped to James Bond devise, after the session Snake is right and chipper so it's not like it ever had the balls to deal with the aftermath and certainly with the tone of the game it didn't seem it had to go nowhere near there.

Want to see something adult? Read the latest chapters of Attack on titan manga, [SPOILERS COMING] we had a secondary character tortured to death only to have a few chapters later, two prominent main characters torture the other torturers to get information, while being quite graphic, but more importantly, while making it very damn clear what the sequels of it for the tortured and how incredibly low hour "heroes" have sunk for it. There is also the Berserk manga where you get to see the brutal consequences on two main characters of rape, leaving tremendous mental scars on both, one becoming a violent frothing mess of a man and the other becoming a catatonic woman that can't deal with reality anymore.

Basically, if you want to add real life horrible issues, tackle them head on and to the end of it, if not, its just shock value and has no worth except for making kids feel all manly and say "I play adult games!".

As for the price thing, nothing else to add, its bullshit pure and simple, I mean, I'm glad people could enjoy it but anyone who bought it has to understand that is the reason a publishers know they can get away with this shit. We, as consumers, have to be responsible too if we want to get the best for our buck.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
04whim said:
I was watching an episode of Let's Drown Out the other day, Yahtzee's let's play series on YouTube with Gabriel, and they mentioned that one of the reasons the Star Wars prequels were so bad is because no one dared to challenge Lucas' decisions by that stage and the only reason the original trilogy came out well was because Lucas wasn't given complete unquestioned control on the project. I feel like Kojima's going much the same route.
I don't contest the Lucas theory, but Kojima's shitty movies-masquerading-as-games have been like that for over a decade now.

Leon Declis said:
You know, what actually happens in these places. Rape is a real threat if you get captured and you're a women.
And that....What? Makes it all better? Seriously don't know where you're going with this argument.

Yes. Because you don't like it, means no one should like it. Congratulations on being the stereotype of the Escapist community.
I do know where you're going with that, though. Into the realm of falsehoods I didn't say. In fact, if the only reason you had to quote me was to rant about the "so nobody should enjoy this" thing I neither said nor implied, then why exactly did you quote me? To turn me into a stereotype that I wasn't until you changed the script? Seriously, I'm puzzled here.

Once again, no one is defending the price. Stop making up extra things, we've got enough to discuss as it is (what with implied rape, torture, etc).
Well, yes. People have been defending the price. I can't imagine you've been following these things so closely and yet can't find people on the internet defending the pricing decision.

But the irony of accusing me of making things up? Errrr....You do remember the part where you attributed to me something I never said nor would ever say, right?

Vicioussama

Jun 5, 2008
Surprised he didn't make jokes about Kojima putting himself in the game lol. Cause that's so fanfiction-esque it's hilarious.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Totally not suprised about any of this, i keep wondering when gamers at large will wake up to the fact that Kojima enjoys fucking over his fans.

$40 for a demo, gangrape scene, one map only.....its getting worse..

And as for the Two bombs thing, Kojima did exactly the same with Emma Emmerich in MGS2....protect her (or get a game over) all the way to her unavoidable death scene....again fucking over the fans.

As ive said before, Screw you Kojima, i wont buy your shit until you start taking fans seriously.

odinzeus

Mar 16, 2013
Valderis said:
Anyone remember the time when gangrape used to be funny in a game? Ah dungeon keeper, you're the product of a different time.
Welcome to the age of oversensitivity."Muh sojiny" in gamez,games will make you serial killer and so on.R rated games can't have "R" stuff in them,it's offensive now.Good,I miss 90's PC gaming.
Is the escapist community by any chance fan forum of fox news?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKzF173GqTU

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Quellist said:
Totally not suprised about any of this, i keep wondering when gamers at large will wake up to the fact that Kojima enjoys fucking over his fans.

And as for the Two bombs thing, Kojima did exactly the same with Emma Emmerich in MGS2....protect her (or get a game over) all the way to her unavoidable death scene....again fucking over the fans.

As ive said before, Screw you Kojima, i wont buy your shit until you start taking fans seriously.
Gangrape scene? $40? Those just aren't true. There's a rape scene, but it isn't gangrape, and the game is only $40 in Australia where game prices are much higher than other places. At least get your facts right.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
ToastiestZombie said:
Quellist said:

Gangrape scene? $40? Those just aren't true. There's a rape scene, but it isn't gangrape
Don't forget that it's more or less hidden and not "shoved in your face" as someone said in a recent thread complaining about it.

But hey, there's no time to consider things like context or correct information when there so much moral posturing to be done y'know?

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
Valderis said:
I don't know what people are getting so upset over.

I've listened to the supposed rape tapes on youtube and all I hear is hack writing and piss poor voice acting.

Frankly I'm disappointed.
I think the 'hack writing' is part of the reason why people are upset. I mean imagine if Ed Wood had made Schindler's List or something.

DaViller

Sep 3, 2013
This whole bomb-vagina stuff actually made me more interrested in the final product, kind of curious how much more fucked up the whole thing can get.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
So...if a video game has a rape (not even visual) it's not okay, and if a film has a rape scene it's okay? These things fucking happen in real life. We as gamers can't live in a fucking world of sunshine and unicorns that shit rainbows. I wish more video games would do stuff like this. But only if it works in the context of the story.

ThatDarnCoyote

Dec 3, 2011
anthony87 said:
The Metal Gear games have always had the fucked up stuff right along side the fun and the ninjas and robots and magic, the only reason people are getting their knickers so twisted now is because it's the "in" thing at the moment.

That last bit about knickers isn't directed towards you specifically, just wanted to avoid double posting. ^_^
That's sort of the problem, though. When you make a game series as bombastic and goofy and over-the-top as Metal Gear (to the point that its fans often defend it as intentional satire), it's awkward to then shoe-horn in serious topics. You've got your ninjas and cyborgs and possessed arms and fourth-wall breaking and weird dialogue filled with philosophical buzzwords, and then you're trying to make serious points about child soldiers, PMCs, and the horrors of war.

The abrupt tonal shifts between jokiness and seriousness are whiplash-inducing. And when a developer does that, they run the risk of either looking like they're treating the serious topics as a joke (in which case they look appalling), or looking like they mean the goofy stuff seriously (in which case they look insane). Tone can make or break a story.

People in this thread are invoking comparisons with [em]Spec Ops: The Line[/em]. Remember, [em]Spec Ops: The Line[/em] didn't end with you ascending the tower to have a 20-minute dialogue with Col. Konrad about the Singularity, at the end of which he throws off his cloak to reveal his gleaming cyborg body, and then you have a sword fight while he yells at you about genetic theory and nuclear deterrence.

Unless there's some DLC I missed.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
the hidden eagle said:
Kenbo Slice said:
So...if a video game has a rape (not even visual) it's not okay, and if a film has a rape scene it's okay? These things fucking happen in real life. We as gamers can't live in a fucking world of sunshine and unicorns that shit rainbows. I wish more video games would do stuff like this. But only if it works in the context of the story.
Games aren't real life,some people play them just to avoid things that happen in real life.
I said only if it works in the context of the sorry and world the developers created.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
the hidden eagle said:
Kenbo Slice said:
the hidden eagle said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Games aren't real life,some people play them just to avoid things that happen in real life.
I said only if it works in the context of the sorry and world the developers created.
And that hardly happens most of the time, rape scenes in games come off as just trying to be edgy or for that extra "shock factor".The only types of stories I've seen rape being handled correctly are those where people are already fucked up to begin with.

Storytelling in video games have a long way to go before they can handle things like rape and child abuse.Right now it's only used for the sake of it.
I think we're at a point to where stories in games can use those subjects. However, I don't believe that the majority of gamers are ready for it.