Zero Punctuation: Metro: Last Light

Sean Kay

Jul 4, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
I could only play the first one for about half an hour before I got sick of the whole ammo = money thing.
You did realise you weren't meant to shoot the military rounds, right? You can buy the dirty rounds for a reason. Sure, they suck compared to the proper stuff but its better to buy shit bullets then to blaze through the good ones and find yourself penniless with a dry AK

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Sean Kay said:
canadamus_prime said:
I could only play the first one for about half an hour before I got sick of the whole ammo = money thing.
You did realise you weren't meant to shoot the military rounds, right? You can buy the dirty rounds for a reason. Sure, they suck compared to the proper stuff but its better to buy shit bullets then to blaze through the good ones and find yourself penniless with a dry AK
Yes, but the mechanic still didn't make much sense. Besides was ammunition the only thing these people could think of to use as currency after the bomb hit? They couldn't have used something like, oh I don't know, bottle caps?

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
Yes, but the mechanic still didn't make much sense. Besides was ammunition the only thing these people could think of to use as currency after the bomb hit? They couldn't have used something like, oh I don't know, bottle caps?
Well, bullets are useful and presumably relatively plentiful in the alternative Metro universe. It's about as logical a choice of currency as they were going to get, other than maybe rat sausage or cigarettes.

I never really noticed that big of a quality difference in the ammunition, myself. I mostly stuck to shotgun shells, though.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
What irked me the most about the game is the inclusion of what can only be called boss fights. The first game didn't have any and that was perfectly fine by me. Instead this time you get locked in an area and not allowed to leave until the monster is dead. This resulted in some controller throwing during one fight because I happened to be down to my last air filter and I kept suffocating before rather than dying to the actual boss. Oh and did I mention all the bosses take an entire armory of bullets to put down? And that this is is a game about scrounging and saving supplies so ammo is always scarce? And that one boss you have to fight twice in a row with only a short tunnel between arenas and barely any supply pickups? So...yeah :/

The atmosphere and detail to the world is absolutely fantastic, the core gameplay is still solid and fun, but it gets bogged down by issues like that mentioned above. Give it a rent at the very least ^^

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Mr. Q said:
geldonyetich said:
On second thought, lets do give it to the Call of Duty players. Maybe their being armless will slightly reduce the frequency of games in that formula being repeated, slightly.
I'm sure a few of the Spunkgargleweewee fans would suffer a nervous breakdown if not an aneurysm as well. Would certainly improve the gaming industry plus clean up the human gene pool a bit.
I really want to see that now. The fact METRO got released at all is proof the game industry still has some imagination at all and has room to get better.

captcha: baked in a pie
radioactive bear meat and potatoes are the pie fillings of the future.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
It'll be nice shooting at Nazis again. That's the ticket 4A Games.
Then you will be disappointed because nazis were just some assholes that you happened to pass through on your way to meet other assholes.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Muspelheim said:
canadamus_prime said:
Well, bullets are useful and presumably relatively plentiful in the alternative Metro universe. It's about as logical a choice of currency as they were going to get, other than maybe rat sausage or cigarettes.

I never really noticed that big of a quality difference in the ammunition, myself. I mostly stuck to shotgun shells, though.
Except that you need the bullets to shoot the monsters.
"No don't shoot that monster! That's little Timmy's lunch money!"

DJShire

Sep 27, 2008
This episode was really hilarious, especially the idea of getting CoD players to gnaw their own arms off.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
erttheking said:
DarkhoIlow said:
Ah, I was so very looking forward to this one from you Yahtzee and you didn't disappoint.

I really enjoyed Metro LL so much that I had to replay it again to get the good ending. I wonder if there's going to be a third game, regardless I hope it does well.
That'd be a bit tricky to do. I think you know why.
If they make canon the good ending, then it can continue, if not no.

Pretty much that.

RebsA

Jul 3, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
Muspelheim said:
canadamus_prime said:

If you would've read the book you would probably get it a bit better. As has been said before, bullets are plentiful and useful so it's more of useful things changing hands kind of a trade. There is also the deeper implication that everything is paid in lives. 1 bullet, is one life in the metro and in the metro life is cheap. Bullets are also rather easy to manufacture even underground and with shitty tools, I mean 19th century people made bullets for gods sake. Bottle caps have no real value, you can't do shit with them other than use them as money, where as bullets are bullets and as previously said useful... I am kinda going in circles here.

Also: Little Timmy probably won't need his lunch money when there's no such a thing as school or lunch. He might as well use it to shoot himself some lunch ;)

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
So why we aren't allowed to give this game to average codhead, again?
Outcome seems quite positive to humanity.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
Yes, but there's loads of only slightly shittier post-war bullets lying about, I don't think every citizen would break out the Sunday ammo unless it was an emergency, or if they're one of the spoiled elite prats from The Hansa.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
to be fair there were friendly Russians in the MW series haha
but in all seriousness, loved this review. my friend's been recommending the game to me, and I'm definitely going to try it out this weekend

Cpt. Slow

Great news everybody!
Dec 9, 2012
I've played Metro 2033 but did not finish it, first few levels made me so depressed. The only thing that was missing was a 1 year old boy in a room watching the popular Russian cartoon 'Shoe & Shoelace'.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
themilo504 said:
Personally I kind of like public transport, does anybody know if public transport is better in the Netherlands compared Australia?
Its not that bad, sometimes they are late and occasionally you get someone off their face and screaming but other then that.

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
gamegod25 said:
What irked me the most about the game is the inclusion of what can only be called boss fights. The first game didn't have any and that was perfectly fine by me. Instead this time you get locked in an area and not allowed to leave until the monster is dead. This resulted in some controller throwing during one fight because I happened to be down to my last air filter and I kept suffocating before rather than dying to the actual boss. Oh and did I mention all the bosses take an entire armory of bullets to put down? And that this is is a game about scrounging and saving supplies so ammo is always scarce? And that one boss you have to fight twice in a row with only a short tunnel between arenas and barely any supply pickups? So...yeah :/

The atmosphere and detail to the world is absolutely fantastic, the core gameplay is still solid and fun, but it gets bogged down by issues like that mentioned above. Give it a rent at the very least ^^

you sure the first game didnt have boss fights? really? i seem to remember the tank section, arguably the black librarians, the nuclear ooze monster. gameplay wise this game is basically the same, but with a little bit more linearity in terms of completing the areas.

anywho funny video, i still think i prefere the first one a little more, but the last light is definitely more fun overall

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
Loved the game, but I have one very big gripe with it: it completely retconed the good ending, so you start the game having committed a genocide, and every character congratulating Artyom about that made me want to punch the screen after all the trouble I went through to save the dark ones to ensure peace in the metro in the previous game, especially considering Last Light is using the same method to try to make you care about the Little One.

If they really wanted to make all players start from the bad ending, they still could have integrated it in the story to be less infuriating, e.g. Artyom has a dream about the good ending, but when he wakes up, he remembers he didn't, then it wouldn't have broken the storyline.

It was especially sadistic when
the water of life brings you back in time at the tower and the guy tells you can change destiny, but nope, you can't only sit and watch dickwad send the missiles
x.x

Saika Renegade

Nov 18, 2009
I'm surprised he didn't commend them for their decision to ignore that idiotic executive demand for a multiplayer mode.