Zero Punctuation: Metroid Other M

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Hubilub said:
GloatingSwine said:
Hubilub said:
Of course, as GloatingSwine pointed out, Fusion became much more open towards the end of the game when you had all the power-ups and could go scout for upgrades, but the fact that it started of very linear is what I think Yahtzee had in mind when saying that Other M was more linear than Fusion.
It's not just that. It's that you can sequence break in Fusion. Not as much as in the other games (especially Super Metroid), but you can still try and do things in the wrong order, and deliberately skip items and upgrades in order to provide more challenge. (there are special ending screens for particularly low item runs).
Hu. I didn't know that.

You have given me another reason to replay my favorite handheld game!

Where did I put my Advance SP?
It's possible to complete the game collecting 1% of the available items.

eyedonutkair

Feb 6, 2009
]
Fronzel said:
Then what the hell is sustaining your relentless Nintendo fanboyism? Why are you so gentle and forgiving to the slightest smell of bullshit coming from a Wii title?
*spoiler alert*
Well, its pretty obvious that a ps3/xbox fanboy would think the game is bad.
I personally wouldn't go so far as to say its perfect, but it's far from bad. The whole authorization was stupid, and true, you had to have some level of dexterity aside from button mashing to use missles adeptly without taking damage. In fact, it's safe to say someone that doesn't play WoW or Halo almost daily would probably say those games suck, whining that they 'can't do it'. The thing I have a problem with is how many stupid people can't seem to figure out who the traitor is. James was a suspect since he planted the bomb, and he was found dead in the room where you left MB, that room being the BRC. I believe the thing sustaining nintendo fanboyism is not having the need to 'feel' like an adult buy playing games that make you think you're being a bad ass by shooting people and swearing. I like to think that people play games because they like them, not because all your sissy friends think it cool, and that you're lame for not playing it. Then again, sheep don't really have control over their lives, do they?

fmatthew5876

Feb 22, 2010
Finally a ZP on an interesting game.

The whole deal about not getting to use your upgrades until your boyfriend tells you is pretty bad. They couldn't come up with a better way to handle the powerup issue?

I would have prefered any of the following:
1) Just reuse the whole idea where you get your powers drained by some event/enemy in the beginning. Its been done before but as long as the rest of the plot is solid nobody will care.
2) Samus got the Hyper gun at the end of super metroid which was insanely powerful. Maybe after the end of the game this gun burned out all of her powerups. Maybe it destroyed the functions of her suit and she had to repair it / get a new one. In this case I wouldn't even mention it up front, it could be in a note or something thats easily missable. Players would ask why she doesn't have her powerups from the last game and this would be a nice little piece of trivia for gamefaqs forum nerds to talk about.
3) Or just make her start out without her powerups and just not explain it at all. Its more of a gameplay issue than a story issue and could easily just be ignored rather then having to find a way to shoehorn the issue into the story and create a completely retarded scenario where samus walks into a hostile environment without protection just because her boyfriend hasn't said its ok. When I played Xenosaga episode 2 I didn't ask why my characters were all level 1 again and didn't have all of their powerful attacks from the first game.
4) Maybe you start with the plasma beam but its the weakest gun in this game. Upgrade further from that. You would still need an explanation for bombs and missiles and such.

Does this also mean that you get all of your major powerups on a linear path? What about finding secret items? Is it setup so that if you find a secret room then he will call you and tell you its ok to use the wave beam now?

I've been considering getting this game and this review has been very helpful. It sounds like the story was pretty awful but I might have to try it anyway for educational purposes.

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
You know usually I feel like you're too harsh to what is probably an alright game, even when you justify your points entirely well. This reviews marks one of the few times the game is literally as bad as you say it is. I wasted £40 on this shit pile of a game so it was incredibly satisfying to watch you agree with every single thing I picked up on when playing it.

"...the bloated cancerous mass of the story's atrocity overshadows everything else". Best way to describe this game ever.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
I'm curious to know if anyone has heard how this game was received by japan.

Uberman5000

Jul 21, 2010
No one thinks much of this game, including myself. As it should be.

Hopefully now Nintendo will knock off the bullcrap of letting Team Ninja develop a game that goes against their innate need to make the female characters 90% tits and 10% kicking.

Crono Maniac

Jan 8, 2009
Let's see... Yahtzee hates it, Spoony hates it, Socksmakepeoplesexy.net hates it...

Well, Moviebob likes it. At least someone's on my side.

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
i usually never agree with your bashing (i watch it just for giggles) but this video was filled with giggles and JUSTICE.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
Calibanbutcher said:
Best review in a long time.
I literally laughed out loud.
Shame on me for saying that
This. A really good one. I almost stoped to be his fan.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
Crono Maniac said:
Let's see... Yahtzee hates it, Spoony hates it, Socksmakepeoplesexy.net hates it...

Well, Moviebob likes it. At least someone's on my side.
Im not trying to bash or anything, Im actually Bobs fan but sometimes he appears to me like he just wants to have different oppinion then everyone else for any price.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Heh...and this is what happenes when you outsource what was a respectable francise heh

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
Is it just me or has nintendo killed it's idea bucket and are making it's own games worse and worse?

if you ask me I say the only reason the Wii is still alive is because of SEGA (MadWorld, Conduit, Arguably the day levels of Unleashed) and Ubisoft (No More Heroes 1 + 2, Red Steel 2)

I wonder if that new Zelda game will bring it back to life or if the wii is still on life support...

esliang

Nov 18, 2009
Great review, though it really was story-heavy. I guess with Metroid games you know what to expect from the gameplay. Hope the Friday ZP rocks as much as this one did.

MailOrderClone

Nov 30, 2009
Jaredin said:
Heh...and this is what happenes when you outsource what was a respectable francise heh
Oddly, the Metroid Prime games are also what happens when you outsource a respectable franchise. F-Zero GX & AX were also handed over to Sega to produce, and it turned out to be a fantastic racer. The same folks that made Metroid Prime are doing the new 2D sidescrolling Donkey Kong Country, too. Handing games to other developers isn't at all a bad practice, you just have to be careful who you hand it to.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Now this comes tricky defining what kind of standard Nintendo failing this is. They generally come in two types, the "Lets try something completely different" kind (Mario Sunshine, Starfox adventures) and the "lets make the same money train again without change" (Super Mario Sluggers). Well on the one hand this is a different set up from the Prime games with more traditional 2D platforming and 3D fighting plus making Samus talk, but it could also be said that is just Super Metroid Prime with a talking Samus and a flip to screen FPS mode.

Which would you classify it as?

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
I disagree with his claim that Kojima's writing is worse (he's long-winded and quirky, sure, but he still makes interesting if convoluted plots with mostly likable characters), but otherwise he gives a pretty accurate description of the game.

MasterRahl

Feb 2, 2010
So, yes the controls would be fixed if they incorporated the nunchuck, yes the switch to first person sucks balls, yes the story telling may be atrocious. But, was it fun? I got to play the demo at pax where the guy running it reminded me of Shia LaDouche where he went, "No no no no no no no no," or, "Ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya," every other minute. I think he hates me now because I was kinda pointing out that it was incredible stupid not to use something you have (nunchuck). But, after 2 hours of waiting because people are inherently bad at that game, I blaze through the whole demo in about 10 mins, and I had fun playing it. They went with a fast pace approach where it's fun if you're trying to do a speed run, which is refreshing after the Prime series.

All in all, I still might get the game (on ebay for 10 bucks) because I did have fun.

On a side note, the people who did the prime series are now doing the new Donkey Kong Country ='( . I recommended that game to my coworker just because the person who's going to be playing it is 9 and I'm pretty sure that's the only age that is going to have fun with the new one.

On another side note, please hate the game more so the ebay price will drop faster, thank you.

~Rahl