Zero Punctuation: Metroid Other M

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Mr. Shoggoth said:
Hubilub said:
team star pug said:
Hubilub said:
Oh my. Could this be one of the few times where people don't comment before watching the video?

IT'S A MIRACLE!

EDIT: "And it's a lot smaller and more linear than, say, Metroid Fusion"

I see what you did there
I do not. I remember metroid fusion being a 2d sidescroller for the gba but I don't get the joke.

OT moreso: He didn't review reach so I can only imagine he was dumbstruck by how good it was. (in joke). I bet his review of reach will be something I don't agree with (I like reach) but still ind hilariuos
Metroid Fusion was, at least before Other M came out, the most linear Metroid game.
The obvious difference here is that Fusion was loved by everyone.
But I doubt Yahtzee was going for a joke there. It's just a fact that Other M is the most linear entry in the series.
Ohhohohoho.
You would be surprised my Good man.
I know people who hate Fusion only for the reason that Samus is given a Clear Objective.
Even though on the way to the Objective there is plenty of Room to explore a bit.

Ot:I laughed.
Metroid:OM does have its flaws, but the ones pointed out in the Video are the worst ones, and a few Exaggerated Times 10.
I don't remember seeing Samus's Ass every 10 seconds.
But funny jokes are still funny.
Though it gonna be interesting to see where the series goes now, maybe a 3rd person Metroid Prime:Hunters?

Verrenxnon

Nov 17, 2009
Is Metroid such a guaranteed sell that Nintendo wouldn't care about how its story was handled?
Do game designers really think audiences are foolish enough not to notice atrocious storytelling and ham-handled gameplay elements?

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Pandora92 said:
You just summed up exactly why I'm steering well clear of the game, Samus always just worked as a silent protagonist in the same way that Gordan Freeman does, giving her a voice was dodgy enough without doing it in such a plain and overdone way with a boring stereotypical story. :|
Then again, it is possible to give a silent protagonist a voice... look at Jak.

PROTOTYPical

Sep 24, 2009
i think its been several episodes of ZP since i literally loughed out loud (i LOVE zp though) but i lol'd several times at this new one. and my sibling got this game and hasnt quite loved it so i was interested.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Crono Maniac said:
Let's see... Yahtzee hates it, Spoony hates it, Socksmakepeoplesexy.net hates it...

Well, Moviebob likes it. At least someone's on my side.
Moviebob would like it because it's not an FPS and it's an exclusive Wii title, asking him what he thinks is like asking this guy what he would think:

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Jaredin said:
Heh...and this is what happenes when you outsource what was a respectable francise heh
Not really....
Nintendo, namely Sakamoto, had full control over almost every aspect of the game.

Team Ninja only did the Art Style, Animation, and 3d Modeling.

Motakikurushi

Jul 22, 2009
And with that, the last dying embers of the Wii have been snuffed out. I can't fathom how unimaginably difficult it must be to be a nintendo fan. Failure is staring them in the face with every game nintendo release.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
BlueInkAlchemist said:
So the best way to enjoy a game that's trying not to be an FPS is to play an FPS? Huh.

When was Samus established as having a "bold, independent spirit"? I don't remember that being mentioned at all in any of the games other than the fact that you, the player, are controlling her and she's completely alone. She blindly followed our orders even if it meant smacking into a wall repeatedly when our phones rang or falling into an acid pit when we mis-judged a jump she probably could have handled were she in control of her own body.

This sounds so much like so many other arguments against Other M I'm wondering if Yahtzee either got bored with the ZP enterprise now that his novel's out or has just been too busy to form salient points that he's cribbed notes from other sources. Not that I myself would ever do such a thing [http://gameoverthinker.blogspot.com/2010/09/episode-40-heavens-to-metroid.html].

Funny? Yes. Accurate? No idea. I'm too poor to own a Wii. But I find myself kinda confused by all of the hatred. Maybe it's just me.
Remember folks, when everyone is making the same arguments against the game, that just makes them all the wrong-er. Bonus points for blurring the line between fantasy and reality by saying she's not been established as a bold, independent person because she's merely a puppet of the player. May as well have just said "I concede".

EDIT: Really though, despite his thankful harping on the story for over half the video, Yahtzee completely managed to downplay what a submissive, panicky, well... "chick" she became. So much for those of us who saw the Ellen Ripley expy in her from Day One. Hey, Ripley had a motherhood character arc too, didn't she? You'd almost think that's what the baby metroid was supposed to remind us of. (Naturally, that was handled better even without Samus talking.)

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Motakikurushi said:
And with that, the last dying embers of the Wii have been snuffed out.
Lol no.
The majority of Reviewers like Other M.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii/metroid-other-m
And many people still do too.
And even with OM there are plenty of Amazing games keeping the Wii alive.
And there are plenty more coming out.

The Wii is far from dead IMO.
But..that is just my Opinion.

Zeetchmen

Aug 17, 2009
Nitrokitty said:
So I looked up who did Samus's voice for the Metroid Prime series, even limited as it was to grunts when she gets hit, and I found out who it was.

JENNIFER MOTHER FUCKING HALE!
WHHHAATTT! They ditched an amazing VA who did Fem-Shep among other great voices for the robot we got in OM?

jamescorck

Jan 25, 2010
Yeah, I did saw this one coming. But Yahtzee gave it a very fair review, and I liked it a lot. Very funny, very enjoyable, good work man.

Also, should we be expecting a review of Metroid Prime when you run out of games to review in summer next year?

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Last time that I can remember Brian Blessed in a video game was Viking: Battle for Asgard, which was apparent from the very start... no one can miss that booming voice.

Anyone who watches The Spoony Experiment, did you also feel the character of Samus had been "raped"?

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
I assumed the game wasn't named after anything in particular but rather Team Ninja trying to be clever again (Other M? M Other? Eh? Eh?)

Gigaguy64 said:
Jaredin said:
Heh...and this is what happenes when you outsource what was a respectable francise heh
Not really....
Nintendo, namely Sakamoto, had full control over almost every aspect of the game.

Team Ninja only did the Art Style, Animation, and 3d Modeling.
If I remember correctly the same Sakamoto said in an interview that he was so moved by the game's story that he cried. I think we can remove him from the "knows quality" part of our Venn diagrams.

CriticalQuit

Jun 16, 2009
Great review.

Say, I wonder why Pokemon FireRed version was in that stack of games at the beginning. Especially since Portal was also in that pile.

Dr. Paine

Oct 26, 2009
Zeetchmen said:
Nitrokitty said:
So I looked up who did Samus's voice for the Metroid Prime series, even limited as it was to grunts when she gets hit, and I found out who it was.

JENNIFER MOTHER FUCKING HALE!
WHHHAATTT! They ditched an amazing VA who did Fem-Shep among other great voices for the robot we got in OM?
Yet another reason for me to never touch this game. (Coincidentally, I'm currently getting into Mass Effect- I bet Hale could have pulled Other M's script off, even if it is truly as bad as I've heard it is. Some fantastic work out of her :D)

... and yeah, after hearing some of the voice work? The little cries of pain we got in Prime far outstrip this... ... there's no word for it.

Zudarkness

Feb 24, 2010
My God when was Samus such a pussy. Team ninja sure fucked up on this game. Way to screw up yet again. Go and make us a new Dead or Alive game already.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Zudarkness said:
My God when was Samus such a pussy. Team ninja sure fucked up on this game. Way to screw up yet again. Go and make us a new Dead or Alive game already.
*facepalm*
Team Ninja had NOTHING TO DO with Samus as a character.
They only worked on her Design and the games 3d modeling.

Wanna blame someone?
Blame Nintendo, namely Sakamoto.

AngelicSven

Aug 24, 2010
Next up, Link will not be a silent protagonist any longer and he will be whiny and emo.
I really wouldn't be surprised if that happened.