Zero Punctuation: Metroid Other M

postulio71

Sep 13, 2010
The moment I see any game from or on Nintendo I just think, "Oh look, shigeru miyamoto just remembered an old idea he had for NES."

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
She has derived a char
BlueInkAlchemist said:
So the best way to enjoy a game that's trying not to be an FPS is to play an FPS? Huh.

When was Samus established as having a "bold, independent spirit"? I don't remember that being mentioned at all in any of the games other than the fact that you, the player, are controlling her and she's completely alone. She blindly followed our orders even if it meant smacking into a wall repeatedly when our phones rang or falling into an acid pit when we mis-judged a jump she probably could have handled were she in control of her own body.

This sounds so much like so many other arguments against Other M I'm wondering if Yahtzee either got bored with the ZP enterprise now that his novel's out or has just been too busy to form salient points that he's cribbed notes from other sources. Not that I myself would ever do such a thing [http://gameoverthinker.blogspot.com/2010/09/episode-40-heavens-to-metroid.html].

Funny? Yes. Accurate? No idea. I'm too poor to own a Wii. But I find myself kinda confused by all of the hatred. Maybe it's just me.
Samus Aran created her personality from her body movements and actions. She showed no sign of fear, yet this character is nothing like that Samus.

And yes, you could walk her into a wall or step into acid, but that doesn't mean you can't do it with a well developed character.

I don't know about you, but my game characters don't control themselves except in cut-scenes.

Flamma Man

Jul 23, 2009
Samus Aaron said:
No need to freak out; nothing ever shifted. Besides, is Metroid really known for great story? No, of course not, it's known for awesome gameplay, exploration, open-worlds, and worthwhile backtracking.
Funny enough, this game had none of those.

The control scheme is just annoying as Hell with no analog stick. If they had just thought about attaching the Nunchuk to the control scheme, it would have fixed half the problems with the game play.

This is also the most linear of all Metroid, even more linear than Fusion which is just inexcusable when that's what this series was known for. Then you're confinded to one ship. No going to different areas or planets, just a ship with "different" environments.

And, again, there's zero backtracking. It's just awful.

What's even FUNNIER is that one of the main selling points of the game was the story and Samus' background.

Seeing the result, it's an incoherent mess of a story, littered with toned out voice acting, poor dialogue, insufferable monologues, and poor execution.

This was not a Metroid game and was far from being a great game.

Razhem

Sep 9, 2008
xdiesp said:
I am pleased to read that many among you are already brainwashed into thinking that yes, a soldier must only obey and kill. Well done, military videogaming! You've got your next batch of cannon fodder ready.
You know what is even worse in a soldier? Being an Evangelion character.

People aren't saying she can't have a soul, people are saying that a 7 year vet acting like a spaz is retarded. Like many have stated, if this was during her initial times has a bounty hunter or during her last days in the army, basically, when she was green, it would make all the sense in the world. But having a person that can't let go if her personal grief after years and years is not a complex character, it is a psychologically unstable character. Or are you going to tell me your friends don't feel deep to you unless they are fucked up?

RestamSalucard

Feb 26, 2010
Razhem said:
xdiesp said:
I am pleased to read that many among you are already brainwashed into thinking that yes, a soldier must only obey and kill. Well done, military videogaming! You've got your next batch of cannon fodder ready.
You know what is even worse in a soldier? Being an Evangelion character.

People aren't saying she can't have a soul, people are saying that a 7 year vet acting like a spaz is retarded. Like many have stated, if this was during her initial times has a bounty hunter or during her last days in the army, basically, when she was green, it would make all the sense in the world. But having a person that can't let go if her personal grief after years and years is not a complex character, it is a psychologically unstable character. Or are you going to tell me your friends don't feel deep to you unless they are fucked up?
I think he was actually talking about the people who were excusing Samus' stupidity for not putting on her varia suit as just following orders.

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
I was hoping Yahtzee would get to this game

I'm not surprised he ripped it apart, the story is a tad weak and you probably won't get most of it if you haven't played Super Metroid or Metroid Fusion.
I'm also not about to argue with the people on the escapist, though this is not /b/ I'm still expecting things to get harsh.

One thing I really enjoyed about this game though, was that despite trying to act tough and (to quote Crowshaw) Robotic, about things, we finally see that Samus actually has a soul!! instead of being a cold-blooded killer. (and more robotic in my opinion). Although the theme about Motherhood is just a bit overdone, I'd still recommend this game to Metroid fans. If you beat the game, you can watch all the cutsenes together in a 2 hour strung-together film (which is what's advertized on the back of the box) but that's only if you don't wanna play through the game again.

I'm also glad that Yahtzee didn't mention that many gameplay issues. This means that it was a lot better than most of his Wii reviews. (with the exception of the 1st person mode, that sucked. I agree)

Also, I might just be flattering myself since Wii is the only console I own, but did it seem like he was reviewing this from a more normal standard as opposed to his usual "wii" standards?

Flamma Man

Jul 23, 2009
Okysho said:
Also, I might just be flattering myself since Wii is the only console I own, but did it seem like he was reviewing this from a more normal standard as opposed to his usual "wii" standards?
I think it's because he has a soft spot for the Metroid series, unlike Nintendo's other franchises.

And who can blame him? Prime kicked much ass.

Monk Ed

Feb 11, 2010
Okysho said:
I'm also glad that Yahtzee didn't mention that many gameplay issues. This means that it was a lot better than most of his Wii reviews. (with the exception of the 1st person mode, that sucked. I agree)
Other M does a lot right that can be easy to miss.

For example, it was only after hard mode forced me to play right (instead of relying on brute stamina) that I could appreciate the combat. SenseMove is forgiving, but somehow all the more fun for it, and far better than Prime's spotty dodge mechanic. The extra agility overall makes the fights just more appealing and replayable to me than Prime's repetitive lock-on circle-strafing standard fare.

Another big one is the item indicators on the map. In the Primes, even with a guide I struggle to get the last few items. In Other M, the indicators don't make it too easy, oh no; they just make it possible without a guide. I admit that I still had to resort to a guide to get one particular missile expansion in the last area.

I even got used to using the D-pad, eventually. SenseMove wouldn't really be possible without it due to the lag inherent to moving an analog stick from zero to a direction, I think, or it would otherwise just be too awkward without adding a dedicated dodge button.

Oh yes, how could I forget! Another one is the lack of scanning. It had its time and place, but I've since gotten tired of the scan mechanic because of how OCD it makes me. I spent the Primes going around 90% of the time in scan mode hoping not to miss a single tidbit of info, and that was even before realizing that some scans were one-time-only and easy to miss forever. This and the indicators combine to make Other M a much more relaxing and thus replayable play: You don't have to remember which items you have or haven't gotten, nor be on any constant lookout for possibly limited-time scans.

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
It's
Flamma Man said:
Okysho said:
I think it's because he has a soft spot for the Metroid series, unlike Nintendo's other franchises.

And who can blame him? Prime kicked much ass.
True Prime kicked ass, but that was probably the last good metroid game to come out, besides other M IMO. Prime 3 was good, but like Nintendo always seems to do, take away good elements from a game in order to incorporate random stuff for the Wii controls to do... I can't really blame Team Ninja for the gameplay flaws, I'm starting to see just how hard Nintendo probably is to work with...

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
Other M does a lot right that can be easy to miss.

For example, it was only after hard mode forced me to play right (instead of relying on brute stamina) that I could appreciate the combat. SenseMove is forgiving, but somehow all the more fun for it, and far better than Prime's spotty dodge mechanic. The extra agility overall makes the fights just more appealing and replayable to me than Prime's repetitive lock-on circle-strafing standard fare.

Another big one is the item indicators on the map. In the Primes, even with a guide I struggle to get the last few items. In Other M, the indicators don't make it too easy, oh no; they just make it possible without a guide. I admit that I still had to resort to a guide to get one particular missile expansion in the last area.

I even got used to using the D-pad, eventually. SenseMove wouldn't really be possible without it due to the lag inherent to moving an analog stick from zero to a direction, I think, or it would otherwise just be too awkward without adding a dedicated dodge button.

Oh yes, how could I forget! Another one is the lack of scanning. It had its time and place, but I've since gotten tired of the scan mechanic because of how OCD it makes me. I spent the Primes going around 90% of the time in scan mode hoping not to miss a single tidbit of info, and that was even before realizing that some scans were one-time-only and easy to miss forever. This and the indicators combine to make Other M a much more relaxing and thus replayable play: You don't have to remember which items you have or haven't gotten, nor be on any constant lookout for possibly limited-time scans.
This is 100% true. I must admit I'm glad that someone besides Masahiro Sakurai (the guy who did smash brothers) finally found a use for those jets on Samus' back! I was beginning to wonder if they were just for show! I loved Other M's combat Engine. It's better than primes for sure, it's damn near impossible to beat the game without getting E-tanks because you lose Samus' (to quote Smash brothers) Super Athletics, which is a big part about Smaus' character. I'm glad to see that in her counterattacks she'd kick the enemies in the face or jump on top of them and smoke them, rather than just point and shoot and jump to one side and hope you don't go spiraling off the edge. It's Samus in a new light that I really was hoping to see... around Prime, but Prime also did a good job.

Scanning... oh the scanning! Yes I OCD'd about it too. GOOD GOD, it was the most tedious way to unlock the concept art I've ever seen! I like the way Team Ninja did it... with the exception of those random scan bits where you're locked in and can't move until you've scanned the one "Which doesn't belong" in the room. hoenstly... scanning that green goo... I never would have guessed it right off the bat.

Besides that Other M seemed damn near flawless. (Gameplay wise) story still needed a bit of work, but Team Ninja is Japanese! They're all about the emotional connection, (no matter how much they drag it out) so what do you want?

NautoAceOne

Sep 29, 2010
Tidbit, Samus wasn't a silent protagonist, in the Prime series she talks to herself, but no voice, she's not like link. In Fusion, she talks to the computer who memory is based on Adam, no voice, but she talks, it's not like Link who is silent everywhere. As for the game, it's your opinion, that's all I can say.

Gaming King

Apr 9, 2010
se7ensenses said:
Nintendo- making the same game over & over & over since 1985. The broken record of the gaming industry.
Nintendo is a far lesser offender than most American companies, who simply release the same damn first person shooter with minor variations over and over and over.

As for this review, it's so right. Except that the spoiler bit regarding Metroids is limited to...
**SPOILERS**

only one Metroid. Well, technically seven.

**ENDSPOILERS**

And that the gameplay isn't that bad thanks to the sheer coolness of many of the attacks you can do, particularly in boss fights. And that the murder mystery element is still cool, despite being kind of an aborted arc.

Prankman

Aug 26, 2010
Gaming King said:
And that the murder mystery element is still cool, despite being kind of an aborted arc.

*SPOILERS*

I think its less of an aborted arc and more the fact that it just stopped mattering that far into the story. One of Adam's men was clearly The Deleter, and by the time we reach the climax with MB and the Queen Metroid, every last person in Adam's unit is dead. Samus, at this point, probably realized this and didn't really care who it was anymore, because whoever it was, they were dead. What mattered was that the Federation was willing to pick people off in their own ranks to keep secrets, and that amount of corruption amongst them is indeed expanded upon in Fusion. It's not that the entire plot detail was ignored, its that its relevance had ended. We get to see plenty more of the Federation's dipping their hands in things they really shouldn't be in the next game, so this didn't bug me that much.

Honestly, not much bothered me with the plot, not even Samus' inner-monologues. Yes, we had lines like 'confession time', but considering that every other character in the game is written fairly well, and that Samus spends most of her time floating in space by herself, I wouldn't expect her to exactly be able to write Shakespeare. I also assumed that when she said that, she was being tongue-in-cheek almost since she was talking about her younger days.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Okay, now that I've actually completed Other M, I can safely say that I agree with mostly everything Yahtzee had to say, especially the part about the murder myster.

Dapz

Sep 2, 2009
Actually, when it comes to Nintendo, fully voiced movies are a freaking miracle that deserve to be pointed out. Yah, Nintendo are a bit behind...

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
Dapz said:
Actually, when it comes to Nintendo, fully voiced movies are a freaking miracle that deserve to be pointed out. Yah, Nintendo are a bit behind...
Yeah, because it worked so well for Mario and Link. *sarcasm*

Edit: I don't know about Kirby though.

dynamicsketch

Jan 2, 2008
I think someone in Team Ninja has a vore fetish. How many different monsters did you come across in the game that put Samus in their mouth, chew on her, and spit her back out?