Zero Punctuation: Mirror's Edge

kibayasu

Jan 3, 2008
I thought the platforming worked rather well, myself. Most of my (many many many) deaths came at the hands of the police because I'm a wussy and didn't want to shoot at them. Maybe my instincts are just good, but I thought DICE proportioned Faith's running quite well, so much so that I could back up from a ledge and very accurately estimate how much of a distance I'd need to make the leap AND take my last step just before the downward oblivion.

I just think there was way too much emphasis on running away from enemies in the later stages of the game. It was nicely spaced during the first few levels, but after the Subway it got a bit too much to constantly have to fight or run, instead of... platform?

tikiwargod

Oct 27, 2008
I'm going to be getting it for christmas so it should'nt be too disapointing (i spent no money), I think the story is going to redeem it in the next two though. I loved the demo and can't wait to play teh full game but 6 hours seems pretty weak for a game that's already going to be a trilogy. (Hear that? that's the sound of us gamers being spanked into submission by EA).

bakura240

Nov 20, 2008
When I first saw the review was Mirror's Edge I just about nerdgasmed but now I feel like all my hope and dreams have been shattered.
Oh well I'm still going to buy it, and if I suck at it as much as I suck at all other first person games then I'll end up agreeing with you on everything.
I just happen to be weird that way ... and a loser.
Great review as always.
(Please review World of Warcraft sometime I think it would be great to see, whether you praise it or bash it into a thousand peices).

Tom Dude2

Oct 10, 2008
I would say it deponds on the perspective of the player if its a Mario addictit who has Donkey Kong arcade to Super Mario Galaxy then they would probably like it. If it were an FPS addict who likes blasting peoples head so much they he's doesn't care whether there on his team or not.

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
fish food carl said:
Musimo said:
JimbobDa3rd said:
so i was on the AOL home page the other day
Campin said:
wewt love this game
Vampiric Puppet said:
very funny
brazuca said:
Uhm... So it comes around 15:00 hours here in brazil. I'll see this review. Please make the next one Farcry2 or Left 4 Dead.
Vicare said:
That was HILARIOUS
Hamster at Dawn said:
I'd been wondering if this game was any good. Thanks for the review.
flaming_squirrel said:
Thought the demo was a bit 'meh'

Do you people really need to post before you even watch the freaking video?

That happens a lot. The first half dozen posters are banned, as always, generally because they just post early hoping to be FIRST!!!!1

They all posted barely a minute after the video was up - why would they do that?
I wonder if the ban has anything to do with the content instead of the post timing? Like, for example, if I wrote a full rant for the game the day before (based on the preview on the day before's Escapist Show's ZP Preview), and posted an epic rant as the first comment before the full length of the video has elapsed... Would I be banned?

Hrm...

Lord Doomhammer

Apr 29, 2008
Country
United States
I cannot imagine it was THAT bad, I mean it must have had something going for it, even just one thing. But seriously, review Gears 2 or little big planet now.

DungeonRaider

Nov 3, 2008
I loved the game... sure it's short in story mode but trying to find fastest path (which may not be the way you would go when playing it in story mode) for the time trials and speed runs add to replayability. In addition the pacing of the gameplay makes it quite a ride despite the length and I wound up far more impressed with this game than many twice as long.

Not saying it's perfect but it's pretty damn good IMO - always love Yahtzee's reviews though, even when I disagree they're so great to watch!

DungeonRaider

Nov 3, 2008
I loved the game... sure it's short in story mode but trying to find fastest path (which may not be the way you would go when playing it in story mode) for the time trials and speed runs add to replayability. In addition the pacing of the gameplay makes it quite a ride despite the length and I wound up far more impressed with this game than many twice as long.

Not saying it's perfect but it's pretty damn good IMO - always love Yahtzee's reviews though, even when I disagree they're so great to watch!

justdan

Jan 28, 2008
Great review, although I'll admit the slide-show advertising at the beginning pissed me off (it would be better just to put the damned commercial there -- I had no idea how long I'd be staring at that still-frame). I like the point about the fact that experiments are good, even if they fail. It made me think.

Leyvin

Jul 2, 2008
You know something that has been disappointing of late is that honestly the reviews while still kinda cool, are definately begining to loose their edge.

I think mostly in part that they are no longer rants, but quite obvious panderings to the masses who seem to keep responding with "you slating that game means it's funnier"; which is a shame.

Do you remember your original Fable review? Maybe you recall the even better reviews you did for the Heavenly Sword(s) and Darkness?

You know what was better about those reviews, it wasn't that you were smacking the games around like they were your *****; but that you imaginatively took a simple every day annoyance like say running face first into an invisible wall; then truely taking the piss out of the solution to your original problem.

That's what was funny about the reviews. It isn't the outright attack of a game, but that you could creatively take issues that we ALL experienced to come up with an entertaining interpretation. Stop sucking the cocks of the fans who just like you ripping apart games with a chainsaw like you have been of late, and dust off that precision slice'n'dice set you have to make some good reviews again.

There were a number of issues in Mirror's Edge, and yeah you tap on a few but rather than beautifully beating it around so it's not quite sure if it should be amuzed or hurt you're simply bludgeoning them with the closest blunt object.

I don't believe for a second that you hated Dead Space as much as you claimed to, seriously.. time and time again while you've ripped into Silent Hill and Resident Evil-Series games; it never felt like a straight forward and such contrived attack before.

Same with Mirror's Edge and Fable 2.. I find it very difficult to believe that you honestly hated these games so much that you couldn't say one.... ONE... fucking good thing about them.
Still whatever, eh. This current style fills helps bolster the number of people who might not quite get your true rambolic style.

Gamer137

Jun 7, 2008
beddo said:
I disagree with most of Yahtzee's review. I thought the game was good, flawed but good. It was thoroughly entertaining all the way through. It's a bit like watching an action flick.
True. I think Yahtzee is just pissed off because he is frusterated by playing a trial-and-error game. I don't really enjoy platformers, except 2D Mario games, the first three Spyro's, and Sly Cooper, and I still enjoyed Mirror's Edge even with the higher level of realism, and the first person perspective.

neojam

Sep 21, 2007
The parkour moves were actually not bad, but in general this games pretty much sucked balls.
The whole thing felt more like a tech demo/proof of concept, than a proper game... a very expensive tech demo :/

Anyway, i hope your next review will be Left4Dead.
The game received very good scores on various sites, but if you take it apart, the game has absolutely nothing to offer, except very linear and arcadey zombie killing fun.
Dont get me wrong, I love the game, but its nothing what i expected it to be, or how it was advertised (there supposed to be a story & etc)... Well cu the next Wednesday ^^

jewru

Jun 1, 2008
that was hilarious ...... i think i pissed my pants a little.....im gonna watch it again

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
bibblles said:
I cannot imagine it was THAT bad, I mean it must have had something going for it, even just one thing. But seriously, review Gears 2 or little big planet now.
No dude. It's that bad. Not worth 60 bucks. More like $30, hell at a clearance price instead.