Zero Punctuation: Monster Hunter Tri

milskidasith

Jul 4, 2008
DrDeath3191 said:
*sigh*

Remember when Zero Punctuation was good? I miss that.

As for the review, yes it can get quite grind-a-rific but I feel it is misrepresented here. It does not take nearly as long as Yahtzee says to kill monsters. This would be okay if the review were funny, as that is why any sensible person would watch Zero Punctuation. Given by the first two lives of my post, you can clearly deduce that I did not find it to be so. When you strip away the humor, you get a crap-tastic review, unfortunately. It's likely he hasn't played the game for longer than an hour by the sound of his near-baseless complaints, and he didn't cover the online... you know, the thing you buy Monster Hunter for?

Also, for anyone trying to justify Yahtzee's laziness in regards to multiplayer (especially those who do this and still try to pass him off as a legitimate critic); shut the hell up. If he intends to give us a game review, he should do the whole job. By failing to do so, he has failed as a critic and the people who actually trust his reviews (as foolish a notion that should have revealed itself to be by now). He cannot reliably represent the game with as little time as he has spent on it, making his review moot. However, this doesn't stop him from being funny (his tired writing does that by itself. I think the guy needs a break).

For those uncertain of the game, I say rent it. Play it until you hit 2* quests. If you aren't hooked by then, this isn't the game for you.
3*, I'd say. You hit two star quests doing a "slay minions" quest; you start to get a new big monster every mission when you hit 3*. Otherwise, I agree completely.

Dec 14, 2009
Thumper17 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Wow, Yahtzee completely missed the point of the game. Me thinks he didn't play long enough to fight some of the bigger monsters.
This is exactly the stuff he's addressed in a previous video. His response.

"So these people seem to think I've misinterpreted my own opinion!"

Bugger off.

I liked the video, was hoping for Alan Wake or RDR though.
Which is all well and good, but he didn't have an opinion on the part of the game past the tutorial
He said nothing about the game past that part, you know, where you hunt monsters.

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
milskidasith said:
That whole list up there is my point. If you find his opinions agree with yours, that is perfectly fine. But you seem to actually *play* the games before forming opinions. My problem is with, as I've been trying to state the entire time, two groups: The group that thinks you can't criticize Yahtzee at all because he's not serious, even when he's taken seriously so he should at least try to present an honest viewpoint, and the people who make posts just to say "this game looks like it sucks, Yahtzee said so."
Well I don't think I fall into either of those categories; my point was just that his reviews can be taken as more than just humor, and even if they're not really concise I do think he often brings up a lot of good points. I wasn't arguing about this video in particular just in general at people who think Yahtzee's reviews are worthless other than to make people laugh.

milskidasith

Jul 4, 2008
SomethingAmazing said:
milskidasith said:
It's ten minutes of something that is *possibly* uninteresting, and 50 minutes of stuff that's fighting creatures/seeing your first giant monster, and then you get to killing giant monsters. That's pretty good as far as tutorials go; even Call of Duty and Halo, games notorious for being nothing but dumb action, have similar levels of "learn how to play" before you actually shoot something.

If you haven't played the game, please don't argue about how the tutorial works. I've explained it to you: Two mandatory quests that are boring in concept, one of which is the tutorial mission, one of which is where you encounter your first big monster, and the rest is either not required, or hunting. That's not bad, at all.
Just an FYI, I stopped talking about Monster Hunter Tri. Let me put the point bluntly for you. A tutorial that is too long and too boring is most certainly a reason to dislike a game.
Iron Lightning said:
Enlong said:
Thumper17 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Wow, Yahtzee completely missed the point of the game. Me thinks he didn't play long enough to fight some of the bigger monsters.

Bugger off.

It's more that he shows no evidence of actually reaching the giant monster fights that he apparently wanted to get to, not the idea that he's misinterpreted his opinion of the stuff he did get to.
If you want a game about killing really big lads, I'd recommend Shadow of the Colossus. From what I've read in other reviews apparently there's no real story in Monster Hunter Tri, you spend the first half of it fighting relatively smallish things, and when you finally do get to fight the big lads you'll have to do it a half-dozen times to get the good gear from them.
There's a story, although it's pretty minimalistic. Anyway, to get the gear from monsters, you have to fight it a few times, but not a lot, and the fights really don't take long unless you're trying to fight them undergeared, and weapons are absurdly easy to make, plus armor isn't super necessary (well, you need some, but you can do just fine with crappy 2* monster armor in 6* quests).

To somethingamazing: OK, well if you've stopped talking about Monster Hunter, why are you still posting? I agree a long tutorial is bad. It's just there wasn't one in monster hunter, so portraying it as being such is disingenuous at best, and outright lying at worst.

DrDeath3191

Mar 11, 2009
milskidasith said:
DrDeath3191 said:
*sigh*

As for the review, yes it can get quite grind-a-rific but I feel it is misrepresented here. It does not take nearly as long as Yahtzee says to kill monsters. This would be okay if the review were funny, as that is why any sensible person would watch Zero Punctuation. Given by the first two lives of my post, you can clearly deduce that I did not find it to be so. When you strip away the humor, you get a crap-tastic review, unfortunately. It's likely he hasn't played the game for longer than an hour by the sound of his near-baseless complaints, and he didn't cover the online... you know, the thing you buy Monster Hunter for?

Also, for anyone trying to justify Yahtzee's laziness in regards to multiplayer (especially those who do this and still try to pass him off as a legitimate critic); shut the hell up. If he intends to give us a game review, he should do the whole job. By failing to do so, he has failed as a critic and the people who actually trust his reviews (as foolish a notion that should have revealed itself to be by now). He cannot reliably represent the game with as little time as he has spent on it, making his review moot. However, this doesn't stop him from being funny (his tired writing does that by itself. I think the guy needs a break).

For those uncertain of the game, I say rent it. Play it until you hit 2* quests. If you aren't hooked by then, this isn't the game for you.
3*, I'd say. You hit two star quests doing a "slay minions" quest; you start to get a new big monster every mission when you hit 3*. Otherwise, I agree completely.
I was hook by 2*. 3* is freaking awesome though (except the Barroth. Fuck that guy).

Dec 14, 2009
AverageJoe said:
Daystar Clarion said:
You misunderstood, probably because I didn't make it clearer. I meant the sound of fanboys sucking arse, i.e. the low post count users with no opinion other than Yahtzee's
Ah, apologies then :)

Incidentally, which part of Nottingham are you from?? I recently moved from Nottinghamshire to Australia. Little market town there called Retford.
I live up on Mapperley Plains, they built a bunch of new houses up there.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Iron Lightning said:
Enlong said:
Thumper17 said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Bugger off.

It's more that he shows no evidence of actually reaching the giant monster fights that he apparently wanted to get to, not the idea that he's misinterpreted his opinion of the stuff he did get to.
If you want a game about killing really big lads, I'd recommend Shadow of the Colossus. From what I've read in other reviews apparently there's no real story in Monster Hunter Tri, you spend the first half of it fighting relatively smallish things, and when you finally do get to fight the big lads you'll have to do it a half-dozen times to get the good gear from them.
Well, the story is basically "This fishing town was nearly leveled by an earthquake theybelieve was causd by the smae monster that destroyed the fishing boats (that sea monster that chased Yahtzee out of the water). You're a new hunter, here to fight monsters, make their skin into armor, and eventually kill that big beastie." (there's more stuff after that beastie, but...)

True, it's a pretty minimal story, but it's all the excuse I really want to go out and kill things. Don't really need an epic story sometimes, sometimes I just wanna hunt monsters. *shrug*

Khajios

May 26, 2010
The first time I played MH2 I would have had to have agreed with this, I fell asleep playing.
I then gave the game a legitimate chance, and loved it. You do miss a chunk of the fun if you don't have friends to play it with, and finding people online tends to net you complete retards.

The Wii version did seem like a bit of a disappointment to me, but I am rather biased against the Wii. Anyways, it doesn't seem like Yahtzee got that far into it, but the start can be a bit dull for people new to it, and the control scheme really could have been better.

Not a terrible review, just wish he had played a bit further and had more complaints about the actual game, and not the tutorial.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
DrDeath3191 said:
milskidasith said:
DrDeath3191 said:
*sigh*

I was hook by 2*. 3* is freaking awesome though (except the Barroth. Fuck that guy).
I dunno. The Barroth fight was pretty tough, and some parts of it ticked me off (gee, do I wait until he hits me, now that I'm mud-covered and can't fight back, or do I use the Cleanser, and get hit during the flexing animation?), but I kept coming back until I was wearing his hide for my entire suit of armor, so something about it must've appealed to me. Maybe it was 'cause his armor looked cool, and I desperately needed to get new waist armor (the Rhenolpos set looks like someone threw a Hunter into a pot-bellied stove and called that armor.)

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
That arguement he covered with his Final Fantacy 13 review with his "putting your hand on a stove for 20 hours" anology.

Dec 14, 2009
Not G. Ivingname said:
Daystar Clarion said:
That arguement he covered with his Final Fantacy 13 review with his "putting your hand on a stove for 20 hours" anology.
Which works for FFXIII, which does take that long to really get into. Not a 2 hour tutorial at best.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Not G. Ivingname said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Except it doesn't take 20 hours to get to your first big fight in MH3. More like 2, on the upper end.

edit: ah, ninja'd by someone who made my point better.

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
Yahtzee at least played FFXIII for 5 hours, this he seemingly played for less than half...
And FFXIII is a JRPG!

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
watch out yahtzee, monster hunter fans are rabid dickheads when it comes to not liking this series

Onionman

Feb 23, 2010
Its actually not that bad of a game (considering the alternatives on the wii, which make me want to puke). Its the only wii game out there with decent multiplayer

ObsessiveSketch

Nov 6, 2009
..."in the American states that the other American states pretend not to acknowledge."

....HAH! I got a damn good laugh out of that line alone. Honestly I'm surprised people didn't recognize this sooner as the terrible MMORPG that it really is :p

Chameliondude

Jul 21, 2009
wow, it almost just seems lazy now, seriously, when was the last time Yahtzee (a game reviewer) played a game through.
to judge a game, it probably helps to play most of it, or explore all the features at least, like online in any game for example, if he is that short on time, surely he could get a debug or quick complete dev mode on it.

I swear you cant even get an overview from these reviews any more, just 1 problem he had, which could have been obtained from the box art, and or genre repeated about 10 times.