Zero Punctuation: Monster Hunter Tri

scaily

Aug 12, 2009
[/quote]
For me, animation is more important than pretty graphics. If the characters move the way they should, and don't look awkward, the game will stand the test of time for me. E.g. MH, Ico, SotC.[/quote]

i agree with you animation is perfection graphic up grade every damn week thats not game play its not pulling enthralling of the imagination hell no one ask's oh my how the hell dose that guy fight with such a large wepon look it has such horrid handling no they say holy shit that dude just took down a a monster or set of monsters lager than 10 men and a hours combined!

AxemRed

May 27, 2010
You didn't even play the game. You didn't make it out of the tutorial and you think that's enough time to review the game? That would be like playing Fallout 3, without even making it out of the vault and complaining about how small the spaces are and how you don't get to shoot anything. There are legitimate reasons to not like Monster Hunter, but you didn't even make it that far to know about them. You based this entire review on 30 minutes of gameplay. Have you done this with other games, or can you just not stand to play Wii games?

macacos2

Apr 2, 2010
SirMax said:
So... did the game have a plot? Was there any value to collecting anything and upgrading it? Or was it literally just a circle of upgrading to make it easier to collect so you can upgrade more?
Isn't that like
the point of MMOs?

Darmort

Mar 16, 2009
Yahtzee mentioned Pokemon for the first time ever? Shocking... o_O'
*Wonders if there might be a Pokemon Review at some point in the next week or two about him reminiscing the old days of Red and Blue*

Still, I felt that Yahtzee was a bit bland this time around. The jokes made themselves and I thought they were a bit obvious, personally. Still, his overall opinion about the Japanese gaming industry hasn't really changed. No big surprise.

jigs160

Oct 18, 2009
Thumper17 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Wow, Yahtzee completely missed the point of the game. Me thinks he didn't play long enough to fight some of the bigger monsters.
This is exactly the stuff he's addressed in a previous video. His response.

"So these people seem to think I've misinterpreted my own opinion!"

Bugger off.

I liked the video, was hoping for Alan Wake or RDR though.
I think it's because Monster Hunter Tri is a Wii Game, so he decided it sucked before he played it. As such, he felt no need to actually continue playing the game and assumed that lagiacrus in the monster guts quest was just a one-off thing and was all the game had to offer.

No, really.

Megatheist

May 5, 2009
LeonLethality said:
Spacewolf said:
not sure if they have expanded the fetch quest ones but those fetch quests he was talking about just sound like 1 star quests from the first one, but he is right as it souldnt be on the wii put it on a real current gen consol so we can get out of the need for loading screens
It was put on the Wii for a few reasons, the biggest being production costs. Money is a big thing when it comes to making games and since this time they were trying to get it to appeal internationally it would be a huge loss if it failed. And the Wii is a real current generation console, like it or not.
The Load Screens are Capcom's Fault not Nintendo's. They Left those in the game on purpose, it wasn't a hardware thing.

Morbira

Nov 28, 2009
You know what? For anyone out there remotely interested in this game, the best way to get started is to play with one other friend you know who is a seasoned hunter. To me, that's the beauty of this game series. I started MH brand new with a friend who had only been playing for a month. I absolutely hated it. I just got my ass rolled over and over again to the point of maddening frustration. But then, some time later, another friend of mine who was a high ranking hunter sat down and started me up, showing me all the best quests to take, what armors to begin with, how to tackle big monsters, how to find and combine the right items, and you know what? That game became one of my all time favorites. That's the genius of the series here, other hunters sharing their tricks of the trade and passing them down to new hunters, and when those hunters learn and graduate, combining tried and true methods with new approaches to take down massive creatures.

In short, is it a game about killing stuff to make armor to kill bigger stuff to make bigger armor to kill bigger stuff, etc.? Yes, but I don't think you'll ever find a more realistic sense of mastering a trade than you will in MH.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
D_987 said:
Bigger, longer snip
Apparently, it is entirely pointless to try to have a debate with you. You have attempted to divert the issue from whether or people can criticize Yahtzee for employing his well-known style and parameters to a critique of me / my posting-style. (At this juncture, I would suggest that you go look up the term 'Ad Hominem'.) Further, when I attempt to defend myself, you flat-out state that you can't be bothered to consider evidence to the contrary, even if it is such a simple operation as clicking on my profile, and then clicking on a couple of the links under the 'post' tab to see if the accusation that you made has any basis in reality. (...And yet, somehow, you still feel qualified to sit in judgement of just 'how I am'. Do you understand exactly how ridiculous and arrogant that sounds?) You tell me that I can't complain about people having one attitude (whiny), because I have- in your opinion- a different attitude (rude and/or arrogant). Yet you seem to be incapable of understanding a) the contradiction inherent in that statement, and b) the fact that it's not your job to moderate these forums.

So, no. Feel free to 'get the last word in', as I know you will be compelled to do, but I am finished wasting time and thought on this ridiculousness.

kilbert66

May 12, 2009
did he even PLAY the game??
sounds like he grabbed the controller for an hour, ran aound moga saying "MISSIONS ARE FOR PUSSIES" and never got the experience the best parts of the game.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Limos said:
God Yahtzee. Usually I like you but I have to say this review reveals to me just how much of a biased prick you can be. Yes we get it, you don't like Japan, and you really don't like the Wii. You can stop beating a dead horse now and get over yourself. Monster Hunter is indeed very difficult, and clearly from your description you never bothered to progress past the the very first set of village quests. That was the tutorial. This is not a game for children Yahtzee, this is not some casual piece of shovelware.

This is Monster Hunter. The kind of game that will kick you in the balls repeatedly with hob-nailed boots just because it wants you to know just how much of a worthless prick you are.

That sea monster you mentioned is called the Lagiacrus. If you had bothered to keep going you would know that literally the very next thing you would be doing is Being sent to kill it. The gathering and hunting quests are maybe 1/3rd of the game altogether. They are filler designed to give you quick easy ways to get the bits you need to make your big shiny weapons and armor. And you need those big shiny weapons and armor because literally everything in the world can and will kill you at the drop of a hat.

You are not playing some pansy FPS where you can shrug off a salvo of bullets with nothing but your gritty facial hair and a one liner. You can't just crouch behind a rock and wait for your health to regenerate. If you stand still, if you screw up, if you come unprepared then the monster is going to take that rock and shove it up your ass. That monster you were so scared of is literally a miniboss in the lowest power bracket the game has to offer. If you go online then everything gets upgraded, and there are a dozen monsters bigger and badder than the Lagiacrus just waiting for you to come fuck with them. And then once you do that you get upgraded to Plus rank where you have to do it again except now they are even stronger than before, they have new attacks, and there are yet MORE giant baddies who make the last ones look like a bunch of prancing sissies having a tea party in the rose garden.

Since you have mentioned before that you hate people and have no friends you clearly didn't even bother to try the online portion. I can see why you would be discouraged by the game then since it is ultimately not a single player experience. This is not a matter of "Oh Yahtzee the single player game may suck but the multiplayer makes up for it!" No, this is a game designed to be played cooperatively. You and three other pricks versus a giant beastie from the dawn of time. The quests online are entirely different. You have to kill giant burrowing rock creatures that fling mud around and charge like a freight train, you have to fight off enormous living mountains while protecting the wooden ship from it's attacks using only ballista and cannons, you can climb on it's back while in mid fight and attack the thing from the inside after smashing your way through the armor on it's back.

As much as you may deride casuals and declare yourself the all seeing master of video games in this case you are blind. You just didn't have the stones to get involved in a game you were never going to admit could ever have anything going for it. You would not allow yourself to find a single good thing about a system that refuses to suck up to you.

So I say to you Yahtzee. You are a coward. Monster Hunter was too hardcore for you to handle.

No Yahtzee, you are the casuals.
This. I'm slowly beginning to see Yahtzee as a comic, not a gamer. Maybe he should try a starting act on an open mike comedy night at his bar?

And the whole "it's from Japan" brand was fun ... until you start throwing it at everything as an actual qualifier as to whether you should get it or not makes you sound like a xenophobic prick.

Seriously ... would you throw the 'It's from Japan therefore not suited for cultural translation" on Legend of Zelda? Could we have a break from the latent racism please? A joke's a joke but when you start arbitrarily making sweeping cultural and racial generalizations (incorrectly) about anything and everything it's time to take a good look in the mirror.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Potato21 said:
Lawllerskater said:
I think people are just /raging because Yahtzee doesn't like their stupid game. It's a stupid game. Get over it, you like a stupid game that is crap.
No, you`ve never played a great game and are basing your opinions off of others. Don`t be so stupid as to comment on something you`ve never tried.
ive tried it, i hated it and truthfully, its a bad game

scaily

Aug 12, 2009
kilbert66 said:
did he even PLAY the game??
sounds like he grabbed the controller for an hour, ran aound moga saying "MISSIONS ARE FOR PUSSIES" and never got the experience the best parts of the game.
my thots exactly you get no fun simply runing around that place exsplor learn have fun dont be a mindless fps fantard and leave the japs alone shees they come up with better game ideas

Solomon Grundy

Jul 24, 2008
Excited when i saw this Review. i agreed on a good part of what you were saying of how its a constant grinding and gathering game. but cant it just be a simple as that? it's a truly fun game when you get over the learning curve of the control's and weapons.

some things i noticed you didnt talk about.
-Multiplayer (thats when the game fully blooms)
-Cha-Cha

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite i think is a better choice when picking a MH game to play. i'll still rent Tri though.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Solomon Grundy said:
Excited when i saw this Review. i agreed on a good part of what you were saying of how its a constant grinding and gathering game. but cant it just be a simple as that?

some things i noticed you didnt talk about.
-Multiplayer (thats when the game fully blooms)
-Cha-Cha

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite i think is a better choice when picking a MH game to play. i'll still rent Tri though.
Biggest problem with MH3 is the reduction of big monsters (compared with the freedoms) .... that and there's no bow. But I think the better controls of the ccpro over psp games make it a (slightly) better game than the freedoms.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I liked the part when the wii killed itself and the Xbox360 and PS3 give each other a high five, which is good for me because PS3 and Xbox360 are fun, but the effect of the wii can easily be achieved by thrusting the controller when you play anything on PS3 or Xbox 360.
It's funny when people say how hardcore monster hunter 3 is. it's just funny. It's like saying that prototype has a deep emotional storyline and isn't supposed to be fun. The wii is a console for little kids, and some people think it's hardcore. It's called the Wii, something you say on a ferris wheel or when you need to use the bathroom, not when you win a barfight or eat cereal made of nails and motor oil.
Also, to that one guy talking about how 'hardocore' MH3 is, and how wimpy FPS games are, let's compare final bosses of MH3 and Doom 3, a 'wussbag' FPS game.
MH3: Aleteron
a 15 foot tall elementally unstable dragon like beast that lives in a volcano and has control over fire, ice, thunder and lightning, and can be killed by conventional means.
Doom 3: Cyberdemon
a 20 foot tall beast from hell with various cybernetic implements, such as a rocket launcher arm which can instantly kill the player, hydraulic legs that can step on and instantly kill the player, and is invincible to even the BFG 9000, and can only be destroyed with the soul cube, a relic from mars that must be charged up with the souls of lesser demons before each use.
I think we know which is the guy you wouldn't ask over for tea.

Zerophon

May 27, 2010
I am really surprised at the anger towards Yahtzee for this review. I mean, he may have not played the whole game but everything he said in his review does stay true threw the game. All that happens as time goes on as the size/difficulty of the monsters increases. This game is just one grind after the other to get better gear to kill the next monster so you can.... grind for more gear. He also didn't review the multiplayer but did he have to? I mean the multiplayer was just the single player but with up to three more people.

For his reviews in general, I think they have always held a good deal of weight. He takes the worst parts of games (when they are there) and exaggerate/focus on them for comic affect. Just because what he said is childish or funny doesn't mean it's not true.