Zero Punctuation: Monster Hunter Tri

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
Aylaine said:
In response to anyone bashing Yahtzee here, something you should keep in mind:

He reviews how he wants. If it's not adequate for you, the viewer, then it can't be his fault. He does things his way, you choose to accept or not accept it, and move on. Arguing about it won't accomplish anything in my opinion because this method works for him and most of the people who watch Zero Punctuation. He's also not here to do 100% professional reviews. They do contain validity, but it's at a 40% vs 60% humor ratio in my opinion, averagely so expecting him to play through the entire game in a week when he has other things to do, clearly doesn't like the game or simply lost interest (or perhaps all 3) is asking too much. He knows how to do his job, and if you guys don't really agree with it, I'm sorry. That's the way things go. Arguing about it won't solve anything though, and it will likely cause more problems.

Just thought I would clear that up. :)
Well said, we need a disclaimer like that at the beginning of the OP for his videos.

Quaidis said:
feather240 said:
PayJ567 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Wow, Yahtzee completely missed the point of the game. Me thinks he didn't play long enough to fight some of the bigger monsters.
Just what I was about to say. He basically summed up the HR1 experience.
How long does it take to get to the good part? It isn't one of those "Only 13hours until FFXXXX gets good!" things is it?
Apologies if someone already answered you. It takes less than an hour (two hours at most if you take your time enjoying the scenery) to get to the bigger monsters. The first quests are very easy and quick, and are there to help you get a feel of the game and controls. If you are use to previous Monster Hunter games, it takes less than thirty minutes.
Maybe he was playing with the wiimote instead of the controller. He probably had one at some point, but maybe he sold it. To get money for a triple-cun- *cough* Nevermind... <.<

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
feather240 said:
Quaidis said:
feather240 said:
PayJ567 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Wow, Yahtzee completely missed the point of the game. Me thinks he didn't play long enough to fight some of the bigger monsters.
Just what I was about to say. He basically summed up the HR1 experience.
How long does it take to get to the good part? It isn't one of those "Only 13hours until FFXXXX gets good!" things is it?
Apologies if someone already answered you. It takes less than an hour (two hours at most if you take your time enjoying the scenery) to get to the bigger monsters. The first quests are very easy and quick, and are there to help you get a feel of the game and controls. If you are use to previous Monster Hunter games, it takes less than thirty minutes.
Maybe he was playing with the wiimote instead of the controller. He probably had one at some point, but maybe he sold it. To get money for a triple-cun- *cough* Nevermind... <.<
Ahahaha... Ahh..... Good times.

Honestly, I've been playing with the Wiimote and haven't had any trouble. It takes getting use to, mind you.

Bloody well that could be read in all sorts of fashions.

Mangue Surfer

May 29, 2010
Usually I prefer not to participate in these discussions. But I have to say something about this game. It's sucks! Dinosaur balls.

You know, here all the games have to be imported. Game, shipping, taxes, the thing cost me $130. And it is pure garbage.

Yahtzee has not played enough to know how much this game stinks. When the big monsters begins, the shit goes downhill. You know, the fans make it seem like there is much complexity involved but Monster Hunter can be classified as an "wait RPG" instead an "action RPG". You just wait, wait, wait. If wait is a sign of complexity then a dog in the back door of a MC Donalds waiting put the trash out must be the best monster hunter ever.

You wait the exaggerated animal attack animation, wait the exaggerated animations when you use items, the monsters have a habit of running away (big reptile pussys!), God! The loading screen is burned in to my eyes!

I'll describe how my experience with the game. Well, has this slug with wings who spends most time on the ceiling where you can not hit it with melee weapons. Man I hit him the maximum I could but the time end and the thing not die. Then I thought, "I have to give an upgrade on my weapon."

I looked for rare resource for hours.

Don't work. Then someone in a forum told me: "the best weapon is the bowgun". Except that this weapon is made up of three parts.

I looked for rare resource for hours.

When I face the monster again saw the gun hardly cause any damage. Someone said, "no! you'll need special ammunition, you should go after rare resource for hours!"

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ps.: Sorry the bad English, I feel really stupid after playing MH3. I think my brain has regressed to Jurassic levels after having played this thing.

crypt-creature

May 12, 2009
mike1921 said:
I played Mass effect, those elevator rides were the most annoying flow breaking things ever.
Honestly... is there anything that doesn't annoy you?

Luckily for most people, your statement doesn't seem to apply. It mostly seems like you're an impatient gamer.
But that wasn't the original point, and as it is these discussions are going nowhere. I shall take my leave.

go nana go

May 24, 2010
epsilon246 said:
go nana go said:
epsilon246 said:
ForgottenPr0digy said:
Hooray another shitty game for the wii

I don't get it why do Japanese people like this sort of grind fest with no storyline(final fantasy and so many other JRPGs are grind fest with a storyline)
Believe it or not japanese gamers like being told what to do next.
evidence: fusion the most linear of the metroid games did much better in japan than it's predecesors. That's just what they're like.
Fusion was 2D
Those do good in Japan dude,
They INVENTED it!
Other 2d metroid games didn't do as well as fusion, and they were much less linear. Japanese gamers prefer linear gaming western prefer open.
Super Metroid, good
Metroid Zero Mission, good
This doesn't make sense!!!!

Wiki on fusion:
"The game went on to sell over 940,000 copies in North America by August 2006, with revenues of $27 million.[33] As of November 2004, the game has sold 155,000 units in Japan."

Wiki on super metriod:
"Super Metroid sold poorly in Japan. With the help of strong marketing from Nintendo, Super Metroid sold better in North America and Europe."
?!?!?! A 2d linear game selling better in North America?!?!?!?

It's more about the fact metroid is not japanese at all. It's pure sci-fi with no spirits or folklore or allusions or chosen ones or any staples of japanese society, and it fits in perfectly with the american audience. We DO love shooting stuff in space. EVERY game was linear back in the day. And no one complained they wished they could have dialog options and bang Asari in space for the lulz.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
crypt-creature said:
What he complains about are minute things, the load times are long in every version of MH that has ever been produced (people saying it doesn't have a good enough processor for this type of game don't know what they're talking about).
Nitpicking caveat: Freedom Unite (PSP) included an "install" option. My friends who played it multiplayer took upwards of 12 seconds to load just about every map(pretty bad).
The install option (I used it) cut that down to no more than 3 seconds, which is pretty good.

Ok, nitpicking over.

Mindmaker said:
While the latter 3 focus on getting more pixels, shaders and whatnot, the Wii can focus on innovation, playability and fun.
Oh how I wish that were true. No, I'm not being sarcastic. I was stupid enough to actually buy a Wii and I have enjoyed a whopping one title on it for the controls and innovation.
It's depressing to see how much trash gets vomited onto the system in an effort to make a quick buck. Make no mistake, I know what developers really do with the Wii. Their profits come from lower development costs and the fad-mentality associated with the Wii ensures there will be a large market.

"Innovation" for the vast majority of Wii titles works as follows:
1) Develop Gamecube game.
2) Remapping traditional console controls into waggles.
3) Maybe do something new with the pointer feature, the only part of the Wii that is functionally different and exclusive to the system.

So in essence, you've simply replaced a stable working version of control for one that is in every way less stable and reliable.
There is room for innovation, but it's often just cheaper to do the remap gimmick and hope nobody catches on.
I know this because I played both versions of Twilight Princess. The Gamecube controls were every bit as entertaining and often superior to the Wii's.

milskidasith

Jul 4, 2008
Mindmaker said:
@milskidasith:
Nice to see another Urist around here.
Do you mind telling me, under which username you are being active at bay12games?
Milskidasith, though I don't post on the forums much.

As for Mangue: I don't want to explain everything again, but you're pretty much wrong... that slug monster (Gigginox) stays on the ceiling sometimes, and it has two attacks: A bodyslam that puts it back on the ground, and a "I eat you" attack that keeps his head low to the ground afterwards. I was also able to beat him with a 2* quality weapon, and he's a 4* boss, and even if you have to grind weapon upgrades, no weapons on offline actually *use* rare materials; they all use a couple common drops from bosses so the only way to not have them after one fight would be if you are "unlucky" enough to get mostly rare items used in armor crafting.

PS: Gigginox is very weak to fire and his chest is his weakest point, try between his head/tail and legs and slashing with a fire SnS; I can beat him in five minutes at this point, though I've upgraded a bit since my first encounter.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
crypt-creature said:
mike1921 said:
I played Mass effect, those elevator rides were the most annoying flow breaking things ever.

Luckily for most people, your statement doesn't seem to apply. It mostly seems like you're an impatient gamer.
But that wasn't the original point, and as it is these discussions are going nowhere. I shall take my leave.
Is there anything that does annoy you? I can't imagine someone actually enjoying a loading screen whether it's disguised to look like an elevator ride or not

I'm patient, just not when I'm supposed to be having fun. I'm supposed to be having fun when I'm playing a game though, so every point in the middle of gameplay where I am stopped from playing and forced to wait is a point against it to me.

Ghored

Mar 15, 2010
Not as great as other reviews, but how Yahtzee reviews things is how he reviews things.

I had the very first MH, it was awesome, even if no one else might think so, so when I heard of MH3, I was excited,
Seeing other people play it, it doesn't look as bad as he makes it out to be.

If I still had a Wii, I would have gotten this game, regardless of Yahtzee's Opinion, or any of the people who say the game is shit.

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
Dracolich5 said:
AverageJoe said:
Judging by your posts, I think you get a kick out of being condescending. Nice subtle way of attacking someone. Making your insults sound clever doesn't make them any less insulting to people.

Reported, anyway. I'm sick of seeing shit like this on the forum.
Silly power-tripper, you're not a mod and trying to act like one is pretty silly. Their comments were insulting as well though not as direct. I find your post insulting too. Welcome to the internet. For the record, getting a user banned is useless in a world with proxies and free anonymous registration.

Have fun spinning your wheels, noob.
It's not my fault if the mods here ignore the pretentious swine in favor of banning people for asinine things. Someone's gotta speak up now and then if this community has any hope of being a decent place to spend our time again. Even if it gets the speaker banned for speaking up.

In case you didn't notice, the user you talked down to was making their very first post in the thread and the tone and content of the post was completely friendly and passive. Whether you agreed with the content or not is irrelevant (I mostly don't agree either) because you replied in a holier-than-thou attitude with a patronizing and insulting post which is something I see every frickin day on this forum and is something nobody ever does anything about. Frankly I'm sick of it, and we don't need more of it here.

milskidasith

Jul 4, 2008
Ghored said:
Not as great as other reviews, but how Yahtzee reviews things is how he reviews things.
I don't get this defense. Nobody is complaining about how he reviews/criticizes things (because apparently whether I call it a review or criticism affects whether or not he can be called out for making mistakes, somehow, so just pick which one you agree with), we're pointing out he didn't play the game for more than an incredibly short period of time and gave false impressions to the viewers because of it.

Mr Metzger

May 26, 2010
ezeroast said:
Mr Metzger said:
Who is that guy who is always used in his pictures?
If i remember he wanted something to express expressionless, did a google search and found that guy.
Thanks man it was really bugging me. I think i found the face on google too lol

Titanium Dragon

Apr 23, 2008
It sounds like Yahtzee stopped playing the game pretty quickly from the review, as the large monsters are actually somewhat interesting to fight. It takes rather too long to get to the large monsters, and the grinding part is moronic and obnoxious, but fighting the large monsters is actually kind of fun.

Really, this strikes me as one of those examples of chaff which makes a game worse than it needs to be. If the game was pretty much entirely just hunting large monsters, it'd be a much better game, as the rest is dross which is simply not very enjoyable. Running around the island to gather resources is boring and tedious, and fighting the large monsters several times to gather resources from them is ALSO boring and tedious - while some of them mix things up a bit, and capture quests are a somewhat interesting diversion, more than two fights with them just is dumb and yet the game sometimes requires far more than that.

The game is not as bad as Yahtzee makes it out to be, but let's face it - it is still not a very good game and contains grinding.

Belbe

Oct 12, 2009
Wow so much reaction to this video o_O seems like this game like any other, has an audience that "gets it" and others that just don't, which in turn makes it "good" or "bad".
I personally didn't think Tri was that terrible, but I agree they didn't Tri hard enough.
I'm back to playing the PSP version as I'm typing this, it was much better imo.

P.S I'm guessing being the usual Yahtzee, he didn't try to play online. Just as well, that place is filled with 10yr olds anyways.

Hammith

Dec 26, 2008
crypt-creature said:
mike1921 said:

Actually, the Mass Effect elevator rides were probably the single most complained about thing in the entire game. There were threads with upwards of a thousand posts about it on Bioware's forums after the release, and they were mentioned as bad by a large number of reviews. I mean, hell, there's even a Penny Arcade about it. :p

branno

May 30, 2010
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST.
seriously, im fucking dissapointed.
what the fuck happened to Zero Punctuation!

been watching since the darkness preview and this is the last nail in the coffin.
ZP has gone the way of xkcd and xplosm.

since the beggining we've been able to see yahtzee was never a great gamer, sure, good a guitar hero, complex as hell... but he's fair shit at everything else. used to be funny as hell

monster hunter is one of the great RPG gaming series, and yahtzee just doesnt get the fucking concept of a good game, his sence of taste has some good points, but only infamously good games.
eg, psychonauts, BG&E. he refused to see what this game is actually about, missing the main gameplay line entirely.

tl,dr: YAHTZEE is a ****.
Zero Punctuation is shit.

mikekearn

Erudite Loquaciousness
Aug 27, 2008
If only this game wasn't for the Wii, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Despite, or perhaps because of, the review, it seems like a fun game. Starting off as a lowly hunter that needs to work up to the grand, epic scale fights appeals to my inner leveling demon. That bastard can't get enough of the grind, and so I have to feed it games like this now and again.

crypt-creature

May 12, 2009
Hammith said:
Actually, the Mass Effect elevator rides were probably the single most complained about thing in the entire game. There were threads with upwards of a thousand posts about it on Bioware's forums after the release, and they were mentioned as bad by a large number of reviews. I mean, hell, there's even a Penny Arcade about it. :p
Hm, then I suppose it's sad I never paid attention to Bioware's forums (I find it hard to care that much) or Penny Arcade. Quite honestly, from word-of-mouth I never heard a peep about people being annoyed by the load times... and having been employed by a video game store at that time, I find it odd.

Admittedly, the sites that complain about these kinds of things the most I just don't go to. I find them... rather biased or uninteresting.