Zero Punctuation: Mortal Kombat

Feb 13, 2008
*narrows eyes* And what is WRONG with the new Doctor Who? Eh?

Anyway, Doctor Samuel Beckett vs. Marty Mcfly depends on which body Sam has jumped into. And if Ziggy says it's 98.7% important.

Feb 13, 2008
K84 said:
I like the new/old MK, reminds me of times when gaming was fun.
And when arcades still.....*emotion*
Of times when Doctor Who was still worth watching.

I do not like the new one, no sir, i do not.
Torchwood, on the other hand, tres bien.
And that show about the smeghead.
Sir, I challenge you to Mortal Kombat for even mentioning Toshwood.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
fare777 said:
I didn't like this one. Not that I take your reviews seriously but you might be dragging people down.
Same. This is a great game to play with your friends and get drunk over for some cheap LOLs.

I love the Mortal Kombat Franchise and I found this new one to be quite invigorating to say the least....mostly because the Last Mortal Kombat I played was on the Nintendo 64.

Either way I'm going to disagree with Yahtzee on this one. While the story line is a bit haphazard the 2 player mode is grand as all hell. Don't play online though. Always good to play with a friend within slapping distance XD

ShenCS

Aug 24, 2010
Y'know, I really wish Yahtzee had reviewed the first BlazBlue, because that was a fighter with a great storyline with multiple paths that all actually happened. The second BlazBlue's story was less amazing although no different mechanics-wise and really requires the first game to make any sense out of it....
In other news: Mortal Kombat is still a casual fighter. Suck it.

Apr 16, 2008
Sam Beckett (the Quantum leap guy) would totally win! He's had much more like experience than Marty (multiple life experiences in fact) and would therefore have much more experience in things like combat and the like.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
boag said:
I thought the story mode was refreshing from not having one at all, and the mass retcon actually fixed up a lot of crap with the storyline up to the Armagedon game.
Indeed. It was a MK game that had some sense and reason to it. I mean I finally discovered who Noob Saibot was.

Noob Saibot was basically the first Sub-Zero AKA Bi-han (The Older Brother of Tundra, the one you play as) who was resurrected by Quan-Chi after Scorpion killed him out of revenge. Thus explains the 2 different Sub-Zero dilemma

N00B Saibot is BEASTLY!!! Him and Smoke

Quorothorn

Apr 9, 2010
Was anyone else honestly expecting the review to end with sound effects of police sirens and barking attack dogs, or was that just me?

DirtyMagic

Mar 18, 2011
Funny how awesome our generation has become, since we do no longer get offended or grossed out by people ripping out spines with their teeth, then decapitated the person with their spine while afterwards sticking it up their bumhole.

Sure, the first 2 times it's fun and stuff. But then we yearn for something else.
I love our generation! :D

Pontus Hashis

Feb 22, 2010
Ps3 has no region-lock.So he ordered it from amazon I guess =P
(Did I mention that he wrote a novel and you can pre-order it on amazon.co.uk? Well he wrote a novel and you can pre-order it from amazon.co.uk!)

Zaverexus

Jul 5, 2010
An anti-Matt Smith comment plus Back to the Future and Quantum Leap! Just throw out enough references and I'm happy.
And for the record Dr. Sam Beckett would kick Marty McFly's ass

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Funny review, but Yahtzee's hatred of fighting games really shines through too much on this one. He makes good points about the mindless violence and the gore, but I thought that's what it was all about. It's not selling itself as anything else.

LorahRoo

May 13, 2011
totally agree with Yahtzee.

never been a big fan of blood guts and gore in video games, it all seems rather pointless when the person you're attacking just gets back up again.
as if the TV advert for Mortal Kombat was incentive enough not to play it, perfect reinforcement from Yahtzee imo.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Another vote for McFly.

Backula would pull some very excellent, text book fighting moves, and marty would do something nutty and unexpected and put Bakula down with a skateboard across the mouth.

I hope this game causes Mortal Kombat vs. DC to drop in price. Then I'll pick that up instead.

Didn't the Xray breaking bones thing ruin Fight Club the game?

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
The series for me reached its peak at Mortal Kombat 3 on the Mega Drive, definately the best one in the series.

The animalities were just pure genius sometimes.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Actually, with all the crossovers Capcom has done already, I'm surprised they haven't spontaneously collided into something MUGENlike...

Yahtzee was spot on with the comments on relevance, I must say. Mortal Kombat, as a fighting game, seems to be more of a back chapter nowadays than having any real relevance since MK (in my opinion) was more about the violence than about any actual fighting.

Kurt Horsting

Jul 3, 2008
Mechanically and competitively, this is probably the best out of the MK's with Ultimate mortal kombat 3 being second. It's fast paced, has mechanics closer to 3d style games (attack strings, and mixups within those strings, emphasis on whiff punishing etc) has a unique way of dealing with zoning, and has a very unique style of meter management. Using your meter for either a breaker, boosting your combos with ex moves, or using an x-ray adds a lot to each characters dynamics. Its great if you want to have something to play with your friends and love some friendly competition. Which is why yahtzee does not like this game.

This is how this game should be played...

Regardless, good review, love your stuff.