Zero Punctuation: Nintendo 3DS

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
Enlong said:
OhJohnNo said:
Portal 2 should be an interesting review - "Hey! Let's see how much I can praise this game without losing my fanbase!"
Only if the game was good enough to overcome the deadly sin of being a sequel.
Uh, yeah, except he's said that a good chunk of his favorite games are sequels; Half-Life 2, Thief 2, Silent Hill 2...

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
I like the 3DS. I'm probably going to buy one at some point before the next handheld generation. But I totally agree with Yahtzee on at least one thing:

Having a platform that requires motion controls and the user to remain completely motionless simultaneously is a really, really poor design choice! lol

(Also this episode was hilarious. I actually laughed several times out loud, particularly when he started talking about running into groups of schoolchildren.)

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Yahtzee always needs at least two weeks after a game's release to create a review, one week for playing, one for creating the video. No surprise then that Portal 2 didn't get reviewed this week.

I agree that the launch lineup is lame. My game of choice was Samurai Warriors Chronicles which reviewers appear to be allergic to. I like it but since Yahtzee is a reviewer it would likely cause internal bleeding for him.

PixelKing

Moderately confused.
Sep 4, 2009
Am I the only one who got the old zp reference in his little paragraph during the credits?

Xander_VJ

Nov 8, 2007
C14N said:
Good enough review but I can never understand Yahtzee's insistence that all the Zelda games are the same. The major home console releases change greatly from one game to the next, especially when put beside a series like Call of Duty or even GTA.

Ocarina was the first 3D one.

Majora's Mask had the "masks" thing and the "3 days" thing added so much to the depth of the game, especially for things like side quests. It wasn't just a time limit on dungeons like I had expected.

Wind Waker had a completely different art direction and overworld (lots of tiny islands with a few big ones instead of a field with a few towns). Once again, it totally changed the way of doing sidequests compared to MM or OoT.

An Twilight Princess, while looking a bit like OoT again in terms of art direction was still very much its own game. It was probably the most like a bigger OoT but there were still the wolf/twilight sections to add something new.

Even the plot changes greatly between the games when you look at it closer than "kid saves world, there's a princess in there somewher". I think Yahtzee just gets annoyed because the standard weapons (sword, bow, boomerang and bombs) show up in every one but even then, every game has introduced a few weapons/items of its own.
Not only the major console games, but almost every single entry in the franchise.

Yahtzee hatred for the "Zelda" series seems to come from somewhere else, because when you really look the games, that kind of claims he does about the franchise are pretty irrational.

Maybe because its a popular AND respected series?

When something you dislike is praised like that, you tend to hate it even more and your mind over exaggerates the flaws it sees.

DSQ

Jun 30, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
Every time they have a success it is followed by a failure? Which was the last failure? I didn't think the Gamecube did that bad, especially with Metroid Prime.
Did we buy the same Gamecube?

But your kinda right. The gamecube only bad but wasn't awful until you compared it to how much fun you were haing on the ps2.

As for the 3DS, i think of it as an upgrade for the ds. I'm really only buying it because i want Pheonix vs Layton and the rest the the new games i would have been getting on the DS if it wasn't for the 3DS.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Heh, I also thought PilotWings was more of a bundle game :p
and also, hurray! Portal 2 review next week 8D

Colinmac93

Mar 20, 2011
I wonder how long it'll take for someone to go out and make Senor Koquenfaes on their 3DS.
Hell, someone's probably already done it (excluding Yahtzee himself, of course).

yanipheonu

Jan 27, 2010
Toasty Virus said:
It did seem like they rushed it out before...you know

ALL THE GOOD GAMES CAME OUT.
Because remember all those great games the first DS came out with...oh...

Actually I'd say the 3DS had a better launch.

I really didn't want Yahtzee to review this so early, it's not really accurate. By that mentality, the PS3 was the worst console ever because it had a terrible launch line up.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Man that having to keep your head completely still thing is such a bummer cause I don't stay still when I'm playing my games.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
It's a nifty piece of hardware, sure, but I just wanted some good titles on it. Sadly, we're still in the aftermath of the Casual Schlock Revolution, where every title has to be a colorful collection of stupid minigames. (yes, it's a generalization, but fuck me if my Wii isn't the most useless electronic device I own right after my PSP)
Every other title of note are remakes. *Sigh*

Perhaps a new strategy game or something that doesn't require a dedicated 3D environment camera to play. Incidentally, the 3D effect gimmick is the part I care the least about.

Watching Yahtzee ***** about how much of a headache the 3D effect gives is amusing; it paints him as a pretentious masochist who is incapable of finding the little slider that turns the effect off.
Alternatively, I'm reminded of an analogous scene where a movie critic is bound to his seat by chains while the rest of the movie-going audience leaves in utter disgust.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Just one thing: while Majora's Mask has the same controls and playstyle of Ocarina of Time, and the same Young Link and copies of characters from Ocarina of Time, I'd like to say that everything else is completely different, as it stands along with The Adventure of Link as one of the black sheep of The Legend of Zelda series.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Haha, that was great. Pretty damn spot on too!

The 3d effect on this thing did make my head hurt when I played it so yeah, he's right about that one for damn sure.

DJShire

Sep 27, 2008
DJDarque said:
HankMan said:
Fitting that the 3DS has such an in-depth critique.
You absolutely love making puns, don't you?

OT: Yeah, I wasn't impressed by the 3DS either.
We could just say his humor doesn't have many dimensions

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
I definitely agree with his diagnosis of Nintendo. It now sucks. First the gamecube,then the Wii and now a shitty handheld console that is more or less the same as an older one (that was shit).

I used to love Nintendo, they broke my heart.

Fucking Japanese bastards. Bring back the good games!