Zero Punctuation: Nintendo 3DS

Crazie_Guy

Mar 8, 2009
I've said it before, but the 3D was really not the best thing for Nintendo. The 3DS itself is a great system with a vast amount of potential, albeit currently untapped. It's just that the dialogue surrounding the device is almost exclusively centered around the 3D. People just can't see past it for some reason. And while that isn't entirely bad from a marketing perspective, it remains that the 3D itself is a mixed bag and to many underwhelming.

It's unfortunate that this seems to draw attention away from the fact that it is still the DS 2. It is still the next generation handheld, powerful and and waiting to show off. I can't help but think it would have been better off dropping the 3D and just being the DS 2, plain and simple. Of course, an Xbox 360 playing Halo 1 isn't very impressive, and likewise the 3DS has nothing to show for what it is. Yahtzee is entirely correct about the current titles being horrible, but the system will come into its stride.

CriticalQuit

Jun 16, 2009
Three things that will redeem the 3DS.

Final Fantasy V 3DS.

Final Fantasy VI 3DS.

and best of all:

Cave Story 3DS.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
Wow, this video had very little substantial criticism.

And I have a feeling he won't be as head over heels for Portal 2 as everybody seems to think he'll be.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
Seems to be some confusion about the price of 3ds games. To clarify, they are $40 USD.

I found the jetpack easier to maneuver than the other 2 vehicles after about an hour of practice. To say it handles badly is asinine- you simply are a bad driver.

And I'll say it for about the 1000th time- The Zelda games have more variety between them than just about any major videogame franchise in history. Exactly how can he review about 30 games from this generation that are the exact same concept (shooters) then rip on Zelda for being unoriginal is beyond me.

Oh and the streetpass feature works fine. I don't know what he's going on about during that segment.

CriticalQuit

Jun 16, 2009
40 USD is the price of some DS games (ex Pokemon HG/SS) so that's not so bad.

I still say Cave Story 3DS is going to kick ass. I don't have a 3DS yet, that's what I'm waiting on.

srpilha

Dec 24, 2008
true, less in-depth criticism in this vid than others, but I LLOL'd (litterally LOL'd) with Señor Koquonfaes and everything that followed. brilliant piece of toilet humour, and probably the only time paedophilia has been made fun of in an adequately funny way. so yeah, all good. :D

Sicram

Mar 17, 2010
Awesome video! The "Koquonfaes" and kids parts made me to laugh but I held it back so I giggled instead, which made some people look at me like if I were high.

For me any handheld is "utter bollocks". Why? Because I have no interest in them at all and there's no single game I find interesting. I also like to do other things than stare at a screen when not sitting at my computer.

Hell, I barely even watch TV so I have no idea what's even going on in that TV world. Looking forward to Portal 2 next week!

siNwrath

Feb 23, 2010
DanDeFool said:
And this whole 3DS thing is triple-y lame because now Mega Man Legends 3 is going to be cancelled (probably) due to the fact that nobody wants to buy this gimmicky piece of crap.

For my part, Nintendo has been sliding steadily downhill ever since they decided to release the N64 with a cartridge slot instead of a CD-ROM drive.
People are buying it...

Fusionxl

Oct 25, 2009
OhJohnNo said:
Portal 2 should be an interesting review - "Hey! Let's see how much I can praise this game without losing my fanbase!"
The thing is, the game really does deserve it. Portal 2 is easily my GoTY and they're going to have to try hard to knock it down from its rightful throne.

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
yeah...Very much disliked the whole webby popup its actually the video you better wait till it loads since your not a subscriber and the site is generally slow with all its ad's no don't close the window because you cant get the video to load in the main page just wait dammit.
just for that you are out of my consideration for webby award voting escapist *actually I was never going to sign up for an account on an aol website anyways*

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
Every time they have a success it is followed by a failure? Which was the last failure? I didn't think the Gamecube did that bad, especially with Metroid Prime.
Well, the GameCube did do terrible, I think it was a good console, but worldwide it was a flop beeaten by everything but DreamCast.

Great review, though I actually like the 3DS.

esliang

Nov 18, 2009
I was considering getting one of these too...I feel like Yahtzee hit the nail on the head.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
yes Yahtzee, let's foresee doom after the thing has only been out for two months. His bizarre vendetta once again continues

Lordofthesuplex said:
Butthurt? No. Just tired of Yahtzee forcing the same elitist viewpoint into every Nintendo related review and people not seeing how much of biased drunkard he really is. I will admit right now that Nintendo does make mistakes (The Virtual Boy, the GC Bongo Controller and E3'08. There I just gave you 3 examples in which they fucked up) but I do not watch Yahtzee to act basically like the Seth McFarland of game critics which is basically what he's acting like every time he's reviewed something from Nintendo.
That's actually how I'm feeling. His material regarding Nintendo is just, well, STALE at best. Thing is Nintendo's going to have the last laugh with him anyway.

ZetaZeta

Oct 23, 2007
Portal 2's review will be about Load Screens and Puzzle Difficulty (or the lack thereof).
That'll probably be it though.