Zero Punctuation: Nintendo 3DS

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Electrogecko said:
Seems to be some confusion about the price of 3ds games. To clarify, they are $40 USD.

I found the jetpack easier to maneuver than the other 2 vehicles after about an hour of practice. To say it handles badly is asinine- you simply are a bad driver.

And I'll say it for about the 1000th time- The Zelda games have more variety between them than just about any major videogame franchise in history. Exactly how can he review about 30 games from this generation that are the exact same concept (shooters) then rip on Zelda for being unoriginal is beyond me.

Oh and the streetpass feature works fine. I don't know what he's going on about during that segment.
A: He didn't say that all Zelda games are the same, but that Ocarina of Time has been released on every console following a different Zelda release. Ocarina of Time was bundles with Wind Waker, and released on the virtual console.
B: He constantly rips on shooters for being generic, gritty, boring and often cover based.

He's not the only one who's had problems with Streepass either.

DoctorPhil

Apr 25, 2011
PixelKing said:
Am I the only one who got the old zp reference in his little paragraph during the credits?
I certainly didn't get it(though I laughed at that part harder than any other). Enlighten me.

PixelKing

Moderately confused.
Sep 4, 2009
DoctorPhil said:
PixelKing said:
Am I the only one who got the old zp reference in his little paragraph during the credits?
I certainly didn't get it(though I laughed at that part harder than any other). Enlighten me.
Gareth Gobblecock was his character in a mmo he reviewed when he first got the job, he apparently gave him bright pink armour. I think the game was called tabusa something.

DoctorPhil

Apr 25, 2011
Lordofthesuplex said:
Quizza said:
Someone's butthurt
Butthurt? No. Just tired of Yahtzee forcing the same elitist viewpoint into every Nintendo related review and people not seeing how much of biased drunkard he really is. I will admit right now that Nintendo does make mistakes (The Virtual Boy, the GC Bongo Controller and E3'08. There I just gave you 3 examples in which they fucked up) but I do not watch Yahtzee to act basically like the Seth McFarland of game critics which is basically what he's acting like every time he's reviewed something from Nintendo.
It's meant to be taken with a grain of salt. I'm kind of a Nintendo fanboy but I can laugh about it because there's a core of truth in there. Don't take it too seriously. He's only trying to entertain us, he's not trying to be an uber witty bawler.

PixelKing said:
DoctorPhil said:
PixelKing said:
Gareth Gobblecock was his character in a mmo he reviewed when he first got the job, he apparently gave him bright pink armour. I think the game was called tabusa something.
Thanks. I'll look it up sometime, sounds like fun.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
Yopaz said:
Electrogecko said:
Seems to be some confusion about the price of 3ds games. To clarify, they are $40 USD.

I found the jetpack easier to maneuver than the other 2 vehicles after about an hour of practice. To say it handles badly is asinine- you simply are a bad driver.

And I'll say it for about the 1000th time- The Zelda games have more variety between them than just about any major videogame franchise in history. Exactly how can he review about 30 games from this generation that are the exact same concept (shooters) then rip on Zelda for being unoriginal is beyond me.

Oh and the streetpass feature works fine. I don't know what he's going on about during that segment.
A: He didn't say that all Zelda games are the same, but that Ocarina of Time has been released on every console following a different Zelda release. Ocarina of Time was bundles with Wind Waker, and released on the virtual console.
B: He constantly rips on shooters for being generic, gritty, boring and often cover based.

You're right. He didn't say all Zelda games are the same. He said they're all Ocarina of Time. He didn't touch on the fact that OOT has been released on multiple consoles.

And the cover system is one of the biggest innovations the shooter got this generation. The fact that he rips on it is pretty narrow-minded, but my point remains that he uses this "Nintendo rehashes everything" as the crux of all his anti-Nintendo arguments (along with way too many users of the Escapist) when they are in no way deserving that criticism.

I think there's confusion over the initial setup of Streetpass and the requirements for it to initiate, but neither me nor anybody I know that owns the system has had any trouble with it (not that I've heard of anyway) and I just don't think it's a legitimate criticism. It's not rocket science- you have to have streetpass enabled for w/e titles you want, your wireless switch needs to be on, and it needs to be in sleep mode. (closed w/o being shut down)

I think people put waaaaay too much faith in Yahtzee's words. I'm sure the man is well aware that several of his points are bullshit and there for comedic effect, but the majority of his viewers don't seem to understand this.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
no Portal 2?
does this mean he think,s it,s perfect? (he said he really like Portal and Portal improves on the things he likes.)

Nostalgia

Mar 8, 2009
Enlong said:
DoctorPhil said:
Can't remember the last time I saw such a funny ZP.
Really?

I mean, it was OK, but as someone else said, his Nintendo-based reviews are becoming kinda predictable. It's always "Nintendo is cashing in on weak stuff when it's not failing hard", "Motion Controls are a dying breed", "sequels are horrible", "HAHAHA Zelda", "I'll be proven right" in some order.

I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't biased, but I kinda prefer ones where he's not banging on about Nintendo. Because, whether I agree with them or not, they're more funny.
Pretty much this.
His Nintendo related reviews are so predictable and old now that they're not funny anymore, hell, if they ever were. After being on here for so long, the hate towards Nintendo kinda makes any "criticism" towards them seem like a religious chant. Step into a thread and recite ten "Hail HD," three "Glory be to the DLC," two "Our Achievements," and one "FPS' Creed."

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Electrogecko said:
Yopaz said:
Electrogecko said:

You're right. He didn't say all Zelda games are the same. He said they're all Ocarina of Time. He didn't touch on the fact that OOT has been released on multiple consoles.

And the cover system is one of the biggest innovations the shooter got this generation. The fact that he rips on it is pretty narrow-minded, but my point remains that he uses this "Nintendo rehashes everything" as the crux of all his anti-Nintendo arguments (along with way too many users of the Escapist) when they are in no way deserving that criticism.

I think there's confusion over the initial setup of Streetpass and the requirements for it to initiate, but neither me nor anybody I know that owns the system has had any trouble with it (not that I've heard of anyway) and I just don't think it's a legitimate criticism. It's not rocket science- you have to have streetpass enabled for w/e titles you want, your wireless switch needs to be on, and it needs to be in sleep mode. (closed w/o being shut down)

I think people put waaaaay too much faith in Yahtzee's words. I'm sure the man is well aware that several of his points are bullshit and there for comedic effect, but the majority of his viewers don't seem to understand this.
OK, I see was wrong with Zelda, and you are right when you say he gives unfair criticism that isn't meant to be taken seriously, but is. Really, I love the 3DS, but he does have several valid points here.
I also mentioned the fact that he complains about cover based shooting because you said he NEVER complains about shooters, when he complains about just about everything. There are actually quite few games he doesn't complain about. You seem to want to disagree with him which makes you just as bad as anyone who wants to agree with him. I agree with him when he makes a valid point, that doesn't mean I share his opinion.
Also, one more question. How is hiding behind a cover, getting up to shoot, hiding, waiting for your health to regenerate, then repeat the process the biggest innovation? You could hide behind covers in Half-Life, that's not a new game.
Also, how stupid do you think I am? Of course I carry the 3DS in sleep mode while walking around in places where there should be someone else with a 3DS while having wi-fi turned on. Having IQ over 80 I understood this as soon as I understood there was something called Streetpass on the thing. It gives you a tutorial that explains everything to you in so much details that you would have to be an idiot not to understand it.

Nov 12, 2010
Bleh, 3D. The most useless gimmick since "smell-o-rama". At least in its current state. Not to mention all those migraines a certain percentage of the population get just by watching it.

The first and last 3D movie I ever saw was "Avatar" and it was supposed to have the best 3D around, yet it actually wasn't that good, not to mention the movie was as good as a monkey's arse.

I am yet to play a 3D game though, since I am an Nvidia hater and thus an ATI (now AMD, Intel beats it in the CPU department though) fanboy. Still even if I were an Nvidia fanboy I would still give 3D a pass, since I absolutely despise those retarded 3D glasses! But seeing how looking at the same spot from the same distance is not that much of an improvement, who gives a monkey's arse about it?

Still, I might reconsider on two conditions. First: no stupid 3D glasses! And second: being able to experience 3D from a wide variety angles and at a reasonable distance. The first one is already realized by Nintendo. And the second one probably wouldn't be that hard to engineer: all you need is a sensor badge that calibrates 3D on the fly relative to your position. Well of course it would be hard to engineer, but my idea might be worth looking into, and I'm not even an engineer. That idea has one serious drawback though, only you would be able to enjoy that 3D and a spectator behind your back would only see a pixelated smoothie. But for us gamers it's not that important, especially not for DS users.

Louzon

Apr 9, 2009
I have one and I like it a lot. I don't know what the headache talk is about, I've played Samurai Warriors: Chronicles for over an hour (to finish one level, you know how that goes with that game, lol) and never had any eye strain, so maybe it's a "happens to certain people but not everyone" thing.

And, what the hell, Australia? $60 for Pilotwings? EVERY game in the states is $40.

Ddgafd

Jul 11, 2009
Why the hell are people complaining about the 3D? Not only can you turn it off, you can adjust it so it won't cause headaches nearly as often.

Oh wait, I forgot. This is The Escapist. Ignore my previous statement because it actually makes sense, and sense has no place here.

jsnfloyd

Mar 24, 2011
Worgen said:
it was rushed out a bit quick, Im annoyed the online store isnt even up yet but its launch titles are about as good as any system launch, almost no modern system has launched with a strong line up of games
The 360 launched with Need for Speed: Underground, which was one of the best in the series, Perfect Dark: Zero, which was decent until you tried multiplayer, and Oblivion. I don't know if I missed anything else, but that's a pretty decent line up.