Zero Punctuation: Nintendo Switch & Breath of the Wild

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
LordTerminal said:
darkrage6 said:
LordTerminal said:
darkrage6 said:
It really does not have much in the way of games coming soon, the Switch's release schedule looks really dry aside from Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey, both of which are several months away, so I don't expect the console to continue flying off the shelves for the rest of the year.

He was right, nobody was really asking for it, people wanted another like the Gamecube.

Jeez you are such a ridiculous fanboy. Do you write angry emails to Yahtzee like those fools did for his Mailbag Showdown video?

PS4 and Xbox One's launches were FAR better then the Switch's, at least they had actual exclusives that were not available on last-gen consoles.

Switch has a lot of problems, you cannot deny that.
No but I can't deny that the PS4 and Xbone had problems either like you are.

I'm sorry but you weren't asking for Nintendo or anyone for that matter to bring back local multiplayer instead of everything being online multiplayer only? You people are nuts.

And no they really aren't. Quantity wise maybe but practically everything exclusive to those consoles was forgettable garbage (Knack, Ryse, etc.) You had to wait until early '13 for the first decent exclusives to come out and everything else was either ports or 3rd party stuff that was already long on STEAM which was the better deal.

And why would you want Nintendo to make another GameCube? I understand it was an awesome system but guess what? IT DIDN'T SELL! You see how backwards your logic is?
Um did I ever say they didn't have problems? NOOOOOOOOOO, you just assumed I did.

You are nuts, I was never asking for Nintendo to do any such thing. PS4 and XB1 had plenty of good exclusive titles, their launch line-up was far better then Nintendo.

Gamecube did sell well actually, it certainly was not a failure like the Wii U, it just wasn't as big as the PS2 was that gen.

Not everyone plays games on PC, don't assume that they do.
You mean like how you assume everyone wants another GameCube? Double standards much?

And no they did not. They had forgettable garbage. PS4 had to wait until Infamous Second Son and that was average and forgettable. And I'm still waiting for XBone to give me one good exclusive that isn't a compilation disk.
You're the only one I see with double-standards here.

They did not have "forgettable garbage" just cause you say so, now repeat after me- "my opinions are NOT indisputable facts".

PS4 also has Killzone, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, Bloodborne, Gravity Rush 2, Yakuza 0, Until Dawn and Horizon Zero Dawn.

Xbox has good exclusives-Sunset Overdrive, Halo Wars 2, Gears 4, Dead Rising 3 and 4, Quantum Break, Killer Instinct, Halo 5 and Re-Core.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
kenu12345 said:
darkrage6 said:
LordTerminal said:
darkrage6 said:
It really does not have much in the way of games coming soon, the Switch's release schedule looks really dry aside from Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey, both of which are several months away, so I don't expect the console to continue flying off the shelves for the rest of the year.

He was right, nobody was really asking for it, people wanted another like the Gamecube.

Jeez you are such a ridiculous fanboy. Do you write angry emails to Yahtzee like those fools did for his Mailbag Showdown video?

PS4 and Xbox One's launches were FAR better then the Switch's, at least they had actual exclusives that were not available on last-gen consoles.

Switch has a lot of problems, you cannot deny that.
No but I can't deny that the PS4 and Xbone had problems either like you are.

I'm sorry but you weren't asking for Nintendo or anyone for that matter to bring back local multiplayer instead of everything being online multiplayer only? You people are nuts.

And no they really aren't. Quantity wise maybe but practically everything exclusive to those consoles was forgettable garbage (Knack, Ryse, etc.) You had to wait until early '13 for the first decent exclusives to come out and everything else was either ports or 3rd party stuff that was already long on STEAM which was the better deal.

And why would you want Nintendo to make another GameCube? I understand it was an awesome system but guess what? IT DIDN'T SELL! You see how backwards your logic is?
Um did I ever say they didn't have problems? NOOOOOOOOOO, you just assumed I did.

You are nuts, I was never asking for Nintendo to do any such thing. PS4 and XB1 had plenty of good exclusive titles, their launch line-up was far better then Nintendo.

Gamecube did sell well actually, it certainly was not a failure like the Wii U, it just wasn't as big as the PS2 was that gen.

Not everyone plays games on PC, don't assume that they do.
Bro, there's no point to debating the guy. He'll keep assuming your opinion on things, making accusations, and genuinely acting like this
Beats being a Nintendo fanboy like that guy.

skim172

Nov 28, 2007
In the past few months, Yahtzee has enjoyed a Final Fantasy game, lauded a Resident Evil game, and gotten immersed in a Zelda game.

I am now buying plutonium, because I've apparently slipped into an alternate dimension, and I need a flux capacitor to get home.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Wow...it took 8 responses (well 7 since the first was apparently an ad spam) for the fanboy to pop out? I'm kinda disappointed...one would think it would be sooner.

LordTerminal said:
kenu12345 said:
I spotted the fanboy everyone.
For having a legitimate point? And you people wonder why I'm so anal when this is what I get for bringing up a very obvious fault with that frame of logic.
No, you were called a fanboy for immediately taking an aggressively defensive stance against an innocuous comment: "the game doesn't play better on the Wii U, but since there aren't that many games out for the Switch yet there's no real reason to buy one yet."

Well...that's true, and you can't really argue against that: there are indeed few games currently out on the Switch. You're screaming for people to have patience, yet you're (apparently) demanding that people go out and buy a Switch immediately. Why can't they have patience in buying a Switch until more games come out?

You later bring up "Well the XBox One and PS4 had crappy launches too!" Yeah...and while there was certainly an early rush to buy them at launch - as there is with all consoles, including the Switch - many consumers preferred to wait until there was a decent library of games to play on those systems before actually buying them...just as Yahtzee is advocating to do with the Switch.

So...why is it that you're so pissed off about people not rushing out to immediately buy a Switch? The only faulty logic I've seen in this comment section is your own: condemning everyone for being so impatient that they can't wait a couple months for more games to come out...while at the same time implying that everyone should go out and buy a Switch right now (since the basis of your stance requires that everyone either already has a Switch and thus should be waiting for more games to come to it or that they should pick one up soon and then be patient for more games to come out).

In short: people that don't have a Switch yet but intend to get one - which would be the only people you're arguing with in the first place - already are effectively waiting for more games to come out, displaying the very patience that you're saying they lack. And that is why you were labeled a fanboy: you apparently came in here specifically looking to get irritated by a comment and latched onto the first one you could find...even though all the accusations you hurled at it were completely pointless. :^)

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
It's a little dark soulsy, a little skyrimy, the difference being a that I like more than both of those games. Play it, it's great.

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
darkrage6 said:
TheScorpion said:
Wow, I'm shocked Yahtzee wasn't as negative about this as I thought considering its a Nintendo game.

Though Yahtzee was recommending the WiiU version, I'm still debating on whether or not to get this now on the WiiU(despite it's declining FPS and my lack of attention towards it despite having a big backlog for it) or wait until like my birthday to get this on the Switch alongside this and maybe Super Mario Oddysey. Just hope the Switch won't crash and burn by that time of November though.

EDIT: Funny thing is that I was expecting Yahtzee to target Horizon Zero Dawn first but I guess that one might be next week. I'm mainly curious if that games supposed feminism controversy is meant to cover up that the game isn't very good or not.
It's a total non-troversy and it's not meant to "cover up" anything, such a claim is completely asinine considering that the game received very positive reviews.
Well, that's according to mainstream critics which give positive reviews to almost any mainstream title. Do you really think Yahtzee is going to think the same as them?

Samael Barghest

Mar 5, 2014
demoman_chaos said:
Honestly, I give the Switch 6 months before everyone gets utterly bored with the shiny new toy, realizes it is just another load of shit dumped out of the ass of an archaic backwoods hermit who seemingly despises its customers with the fervor only matched by its hatred of emulators (despite them selling downloaded ROMs on their storefront, no I'm not joking: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-18-did-nintendo-download-a-mario-rom-and-sell-it-back-to-us ). After about 6 months the hype will die and everyone will go back to their PS4/XB3/PC Master Race and only ocassionally fire up the Switch when they want to play Mario 64/DS Again, Zelda OoT Returns, Metroid Another One, or Smash Bros Some More while the rest of the Switch library gets clogged to fucking hell with shovelware (most of which will be little more than empty "tech demos" of the gimmick controls released several years after the console).

The Wii was the same, the Wii U was the same, and the Switch will be the same. An outdated brick that doesn't actually seem anymore powerful than the PSVita.

That's how I am with the Wii U. Only ever turn it on when I want to play Monster Hunter.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Sounds interesting, I'll probably buy the Wii U version when the price comes down because I'll be damned if I'm paying 80 fucking dollars.

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
Calamity Ganon made me think of Calamity Jane too.

I have to be honest, as much as I'm enjoying Zelda I was kind of hoping he'd shit all over it. Purely for entertainment purposes. I'm a wee bit disappointed.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
Samael Barghest said:
I think Yahtzee is the first critic to say buy it on the Wii U. Everyone is saying to buy it on the Switch.
It runs perfectly fine on the WiiU, so if you already have one and aren't looking to buy a Switch, then get it on the WiiU. I've also heard that in docked mode on the Switch it runs worse than the WiiU, because the Switch isn't actually meant to be a console, it's a mobile gaming device.

That being said, it runs at 30FPS on both, and it does have framerate drops on both systems. They're noticeable, but I don't think they detract from the game that much. I'm really flabbergasted, though, that a console released in 2017 will have FPS drops running at 30FPS on a game that was made for it's predecessor. Breath of the Wild isn't even a next-gen game, it's been a WiiU game since 2014, and it plays fine on the WiiU aside from some framerate issues; I can't even begin to fathom why the Switch should have issues with it. But hey... it's Nintendo. They make great games, but I'm afraid they've forgotten how to make game systems.

Big_Isaac

May 24, 2012
The comment about getting it on WiiU seemed to have more to do with the fact that so far the Switch so far has precisely one good game to its name (namely Zelda), while the WiiU has a decent library. In other words, the standard "new consoles suck" jab with the "no backwards compatibility sucks" left hook.

The Ubisoft comparison was pretty obvious, given that it's an open world game with towers, but the comment about the game feeling soulless (or something to that effect) compared to WW seems really silly. NPCs and especially enemies have more personality than in any of the previous games (WW included). I don't see how Ganon being more of a natural disaster to avert rather than a villain to defeat suddenly negates all of that, or how Ganon being portrayed in such a fashion is even inherently bad in the first place.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
LordTerminal said:
And take notice how many of the those games you listed have realistic graphics or are in realistic settings? Yeah because that's what I want my video games to be: far more grounded in reality and not explore more creative and unique areas of art direction and game design and thus be completely unimmersive. I play games to escape reality after a hard day's work, not be reminded of it. If all people are going to use this hardware and graphics engines for is dull realistic visuals, bland character designs and shooters then that proves modern gamers and developers have absolutely no imagination.
I've not followed your posts in this thread, btw, but you do concede what I quoted is just entirely subjective, right? That no one can possibly follow up an 'I play games to/because---' statement with an accusation of design bias equating to 'proving' something about modern gamers and devs?

You like colour and fun and whatever else Nintendo provide, I like me some [affected] realism and grit. Both are escapist, both are equal in a spectrum of art/entertainment.

Oh, and regarding what may be immersive or "unimmersive": realism and non-realism are objective states (a tree either looks like a real tree, or it does not), immersion is subjective irrespective of a game's style, e.g. someone can be immersed - or have their immersion broken - in a realistic game as well as a heavily stylised one, depending on taste and design preferences.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
ProfMcStevie said:
Combat mechanically is very basic, music doesn't always provide an atmosphere to the area, you can't detail ANY progress on the map manually so its the vision towers or bust (locations of things aren't added but I can't even run off in a random direction and jot out the map from my random wandering) and the climbing can get very tedious be it the rain making you have to stop or just the general fact taking it slow and steady is the stamina appropriate decision, forcing just holding UP for a lot of it. Oh and frame-rate drops, I don't care if they are few or far between there shouldn't be ANY in a game that was delayed for years to be made and ported to the switch. Least give me some graphical tweaking options to have more control over it.
I've been using the stamps on the main map to mark locations where I don't have tower sight. You get 100 of them on the main map so it's not that bad. I only really mark gem locations and places with easy to pick up half decent weapons (in case I need to build my arsenal from scratch) . I do wish I could label them though.

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
-Dragmire- said:
ProfMcStevie said:
Combat mechanically is very basic, music doesn't always provide an atmosphere to the area, you can't detail ANY progress on the map manually so its the vision towers or bust (locations of things aren't added but I can't even run off in a random direction and jot out the map from my random wandering) and the climbing can get very tedious be it the rain making you have to stop or just the general fact taking it slow and steady is the stamina appropriate decision, forcing just holding UP for a lot of it. Oh and frame-rate drops, I don't care if they are few or far between there shouldn't be ANY in a game that was delayed for years to be made and ported to the switch. Least give me some graphical tweaking options to have more control over it.
I've been using the stamps on the main map to mark locations where I don't have tower sight. You get 100 of them on the main map so it's not that bad. I only really mark gem locations and places with easy to pick up half decent weapons (in case I need to build my arsenal from scratch) . I do wish I could label them though.
I'm cool with the scribbling on a map concept even if it is just stamps and stuff, reminds me of the fun of doodling on the DS Zelda games dungeon maps. I DESPISE that absolutely no information is displayed on the map of somewhere I've been, even Assassins Creed and all it towery goodness let you map slow but eventual progress on maps by just running around the area. At the LEAST I wanna scour the edges of the land just to get that stuff filled in.

The tower to get full area vision (though it doesn't add anything to it, just normal geographical data) is a HUGE misstep for BOTW, it coulda been a far more exploratory game if the towers only purpose was a kickass view and a great glide point, hell maybe throw some sick treasures at the top. It's a huge ass pillar its gonna naturally want to be climbed by the player regardless of use.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
Apparently the connection issues are because they put the left controller's antenna right next to a metal box that's interfering with the signal. So I guess if one has some DIY electronics skills it wouldn't be too hard to fix, but it's a really stupid oversight.