Zero Punctuation: No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
saintfrankie92 said:
i dont miss the sandbox really. it was unnecessary the first time around.
I liked it, to be honest. The world offered a nice contrast to the exciting, frantic assassination missions. Don't get me wrong, I'm not in favor of it over the menu system.. I just didn't think it was as bad as people made it out to be.
Erana said:
Also, does Travis really have one of those body pillows in the game?
As well as a cardboard cutout in his bathroom.
I wish I was making this up.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
ForgottenPr0digy said:
I like this review because of all the funny jokes. I don't really care about this game in general though
Another witty and genuinely insightful comment from DOTFallen I see... =P

As for the video; it really did seem Yahtzee was disappointed in the game - moreseo than usual; the jokes were pretty funny - particularly the bulldog on the trampoline - but it seemed like he wanted to like the game, but didn't. Besides, I thought there was a port of No More Heroes coming to the 360?

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Best review in weeks! I got more than a handful of good laughs out of this one.

Looks like all that screwdriver weirdness in Rebecca's last video had the desired effect.

warps

Jun 10, 2009
I can't load this particular video for some reason. I wonder if other people have similar problem. Went ahead and watched a few of the older ZPs in the meantime :D

Migratingchimp

Jun 7, 2010
I gotta say that was a weak attempt at getting back at Mayes. Yahtzee you are funnier than that. Wish you would do a review of some of the crap songs she's put out. That might be amusing.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
Ghostwise said:
Slow gaming week. :(
Yep. and because of it, i was expecting a larger reference to Rebecca's video. Still, something...

OT:
Never planned on even considering this game. What a relief i'm not missing out.

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
At 03:46 - is it sad that I instantly recognised that sword as the Scottish Claymore manufactured by Hanwei forge? *Owns one*.
Actually that may have been used in a couple of other videos too, but I don't remember exactly .

Anyway, very funny as always, Mr. Croshaw. Personally I do find No More Heroes 2 fun, but as you yourself said things like this are nothing but personal opinion and focusing on the negative is pretty much the point of Zero Punctuation.
Reviews are not fucking gospel.
I will agree that Shinobu's jumping/platforming sections can go eat a dick, but personally that's the only real problem I had. Well, that and hearing her shout 'Moe!' was hilarious for all the wrong reasons if you ask me.

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
I actually had to go back and watch the video again, the Rebecca Mayes joke made laugh so hard I didn't hear what he said after that. :p Plus I was all like "He mentioned Rebecca!1!! OMG!1, I need to write a Blog about this!!" In my head I mean. I don't blog , but my brain went a little bit mental.
Anyway, it seemed like a bit of a slow week, I was hoping for Metro 2033 or some other game. "Numeros 2" seems very... bad. I'm not gonna buy/rent it.
EDIT: But I didn't buy/rent the first one either, so...

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
Nice callback to Rebecca Mayes.
Personally, I thought the sandbox in NMH1 was unecessary; a distraction from getting from Point A to B. I found this game to be more streamlined in terms of moving from one part of the game to the next. It's funny how Yahtzee would complain about too many games having a sandbox and now he's calling out on the decision to take it away from the game as a lazy decision.
While I do agree that at some points it feels like the fights do get a bit repetitive, my biggest complaint is the final boss who has this astoundingly cheap teleport attack and make you his ***** with it. Also, he can knock you out of a giant glass window for an insta-kill.
Also, I must say that given Suda's track record, all those details like an inconsistent camera, occasional sudden graphical jumps, tricky jumping mechanics, etc. are anything but unintentional, given how his games have been described as "punk", AKA, rough around the edges.
I've come to accept this from him and frankly I can dig it.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
I liked it better than the first. And I loved the first one.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
oh, nice, handy links to buy the games you bash now, how nice is that. as if the ads before hte video started weren't lame enough!

and i'm honestly surprised you reviewed this game, you sure are a sucker for punishment, aren't you

Aug 13, 2008
well im enjoying it, currently rank 4
but i sympathise with his points

but at the same time i love it cause it lets you properly let loose some anger since the enemies are mostly canon fodder and it's just satisfying to cut them up into small little pieces and i honestly loved that car park he talkedd about

but yeah, some wont enjoy it

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I don't know what it is about the Wii that makes me, well, not play it. Oh sure it does have some good games, particularly the great online store, but even when great games comes out I either don't buy them or don't play them enough. So I'm not sure if I'll even give this one a look and that has nothing to do with the quality of the game...

...sorry to the developers as well as they need the sales, more so since at least they're being creative.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
steeeeeve said:
I'm sorry...what?

Btw welcome to the escapist =)

And i hope he reviews the new Transformers game, want to know his impression of it

moose_man

Nov 9, 2009
Migratingchimp said:
I gotta say that was a weak attempt at getting back at Mayes. Yahtzee you are funnier than that. Wish you would do a review of some of the crap songs she's put out. That might be amusing.
I disagree. I don't think either of them really dislike each other, so that was, IMO, a good 'comeback.'

BigText

Nov 21, 2007
Huh, I was expecting a lot more of a positive review, but then again it IS your job to give out negative reviews, so I guess it's not too surprising.

We'll just have to wait until Portal 2 comes out to see how long you can harp on about it being too long.

Penis joke.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Personally, I thought this one was actually an improvement. The NES-style minigames were, I thought, a lot more fun and clever than the minigames in the first game. It's actually much LESS of a grind than the first one, plus there's more variety, and I felt getting rid of the sandbox wasn't a drawback at all (especially since it freed up more space on the disc for awesomeness). I got the impression that Suda 51 and his team were actually listening to their fanbase and fixed the stuff that didn't work in the first game.

Also, it's odd that Yahtzee took a few seconds of this video to rake the first game over the coals for making you traipse all the way back to the job center every time you wanted to play a minigame, and then proceeded to not even acknowledge the fact that this game fixed that problem.