Zero Punctuation: Overlord 2

Jursa

Oct 11, 2008
I actually liked the first overlord so I tried out the second one and truthfully I can't pick the bloody game up... My subconscious is trying to tell me to avoid being bored out of my mind.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
Yahtzee, it's one thing that you are damn funny, but it's just another to show just how much you want a job with Valve by giving them a gigantic free plug for the most INconvenient game download service most people will ever use. Maybe you're lucky but there are more glitches in Steam than there are in your average sandbox game, and we both know that that is saying something.

Anyone who thinks a game download service is more convenient than a store two blocks away is probably not just lazy, but fused to their chairs by way of flab. Or they're making a plug that they're paid for, or want to be paid for.

Freakout456 said:
Hmm I was actually thinking about buying this off of steam and now I know not to thanks yahtzee.
I second that notion.

Jirlond

Jul 9, 2009
Silva said:
Yahtzee, it's one thing that you are damn funny, but it's just another to show just how much you want a job with Valve by giving them a gigantic free plug for the most INconvenient game download service most people will ever use. Maybe you're lucky but there are more glitches in Steam than there are in your average sandbox game, and we both know that that is saying something.

Anyone who thinks a game download service is more convenient than a store two blocks away is probably not just lazy, but fused to their chairs by way of flab. Or they're making a plug that they're paid for, or want to be paid for.

Freakout456 said:
Hmm I was actually thinking about buying this off of steam and now I know not to thanks yahtzee.
I second that notion.
Steam is about as cheap as yahtzee's mum. Not very cheap at all!

znix

Apr 9, 2009
I tried the first Overlord game and it was actually pretty fun.

I haven't tried the sequel yet, but I will soon. If we were to trust Y for which games are worth playing, we'd all be stuck playing Thief and Psychonauts and a few more games adding up to less than a handful.

So, thanks for the funny review, but I'll play the game anyway, and enjoy it!

JimmyFuzz

Jun 29, 2009
*Arranges desktop icons in a smiley face*

I agree wholeheartedly with everything he says in this one.

dudeman0001

Jul 8, 2008
Oh cool, he's reviewing games that have numbers at the end, maybe next week he'll review Street Fighter IV or Killzone 2.

Anyways this was a great review, as usual.

"People say i'd like these games and I don't really know how to respond to that..."

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
Maraveno said:
BY GOD! YAHTZEE STOP REVIEWING STUFF ON THE WRONG PLATFORMS

And give the developers a little credit for the dark humor they put in which in some points actually quite resembles your's

I mean the whole game is A rip on the fantasy universe have you not played the first game do you not get what It's about

Usually I agree with you but this is a game that actually seems to be you YES I said you if you we're to be a game
Then maybe developers should stop putting the games on consoles they weren't designed for to make a quick buck from unassuming people, eh?

Jeffman12

Oct 23, 2008
mike1921 said:
You can't really blame him that much, I mean in the tutorial I was able to tell I'd be fucked if a real puzzle comes along in the demo. Which annoyed me to no end because that's not what I was doing/wanted to be doing 99% of the time. It's like God of war, I love when I'm killing shit but when you give me a puzzle sequence I'll only be able to get passed it if I have gamefaqs handy, hopefully there are some fun monsters to fight during the puzzle sequence so I could not bore myself to death (really , who the hell thought it'd be a good ideas to add puzzles to a fast paced action game?). If the whole game or a fuckton of the game was that minion controlling thing the game'd be as unplayable as it deserves to be for forcing you to do that shit.
Yahtzee can't use the same excuse you can as he made a game based on puzzles, and nobody's paying you to write a review, so you don't have to play it, which I'm pretty sure you haven't anyway.

mike1921 said:
Making a critic play a bad game through to the end will do what exactly? I never expect to hear, from anyone"wade through this massive ocean of shit for the ending".
Just because you don't have the capacity for puzzle solving, which you admit, doesn't mean it's a bad game, it just makes it ill-suited to your playstyle. It's a critics job to play through it. That's what they're payed for, giving a review to its entirety. He stopped playing probably around the use of the fire minions, he doesn't even mention blue or green, let alone what they do. This suggests he didn't even read the manual. Part of each review should be based on how easily you can get a hang of the game, if he's unwilling to learn. Furthermore, maybe there's some redeeming quality later on, like, I don't know, having access to all the minion types. Simply put, don't even try to back it up unless you're going to play through and make a decent objective review that explains the pros and cons. And then you can throw in why you hate it and the developer should go die in a bush, or whatever drivel you want to add. Maybe The Escapist will pay you instead then.
Lord_Jaroh said:
Then maybe developers should stop putting the games on consoles they weren't designed for to make a quick buck from unassuming people, eh?
As was the case with Ghostbusters. Even then, he did have a point criticizing the dumb AI.

Cobopolies

Jul 16, 2009
I agree with the mouse/keyboard combo kind of sucking a little bit. I used it for like 5 mins, up until you had to move all your minions around, and then I plugged in my Xbox controller *GASP* OMG, really? PC's have controllers? Just like consoles? Who would have thought...Anyway, the game played much better.

I thought Overlord 2 was alright. I didn't mind the linear aspect too much, I just thought their wasn't enough content, not enough side missions to do.

minarri

Dec 31, 2008
This week's wasn't a knee-slapper, but I think it was a huge improvement from the reviews of the last few weeks.

Jacques 2

Oct 8, 2007
If you're getting paid, do you're job, unless that job is some how unethical in regard to human rights and/or will result in the inability to use the money you are paid. I've been a fan of this review series for a while, but it seems to be getting full of it self, much like the web comics it criticized a few months ago. I heard less about the game and more about the boring things he did while not finishing it, oh and a lot of things about an ass, and about how being a dick is only fun if you're not supposed to be a dick. In that vein, the grand theft auto series must be shit, because you're playing a theif (usually a member of a gang or mafia or something related to those), that acts generally in a dickish manner and does dickish things to people (some of which go above and beyond the call of dick: see GTA SA in the mission regarding the construction workers that whistle are Kendel, the main character's sister). And what's the point of being a dick in HL2? you can hop on peoples heads, but it doesn't affect them, you can't kill allies, except during one chapter where you can command a useless squad of ally AIs that supply you with health, ammo, and an inability to effectively kill the enemy on their own, to their deaths by simply sending them into the thick of it and letting them die, beyond that, and the juvenile humor you can get by harassing people with bug bombs, to which no allies respond. Maybe Yahtzee enjoys that sort of thing, but I can't help but doubt that more people enjoy doing dickish things in GTA than in HL2, or maybe he's playing with SMod and kills his allies (in which case he'd run into a similar problem as Fallout 3's Dr. Braun where there's no one left to play with, well, except with the spawn command, but even that gets boring after a while)

That said, Overlord II and it's predecessor have flaws, some of which he did touch on, such as the uselessness of mistresses aside from the added presence of boobs to your grand chamber, and the control issue, albeit, explained until exhaustion. He didn't mention the humor which while not laugh worthy (usually) can bring a smirk to your face at the least.

RedPanda

May 28, 2009
I would certainly get bord indeed I guess...I dislike being a jerk but if the game makes u then it's like oh I can't be myself anyways? Lol, good points XD

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
Jeffman12 said:
mike1921 said:
You can't really blame him that much, I mean in the tutorial I was able to tell I'd be fucked if a real puzzle comes along in the demo. Which annoyed me to no end because that's not what I was doing/wanted to be doing 99% of the time. It's like God of war, I love when I'm killing shit but when you give me a puzzle sequence I'll only be able to get passed it if I have gamefaqs handy, hopefully there are some fun monsters to fight during the puzzle sequence so I could not bore myself to death (really , who the hell thought it'd be a good ideas to add puzzles to a fast paced action game?). If the whole game or a fuckton of the game was that minion controlling thing the game'd be as unplayable as it deserves to be for forcing you to do that shit.
Yahtzee can't use the same excuse you can as he made a game based on puzzles, and nobody's paying you to write a review, so you don't have to play it, which I'm pretty sure you haven't anyway.
Like I said, I played the demo. It made me feel "ehhh". I'll get the full game when gamefly sends it to me.

I'm not saying GOW is a bad game, on the contrary, it'd be my favorite game of all time if they removed those fucking puzzles. And I did play it through the end despite the puzzles because the non-annoying parts of the thing was sooooo good. If you meant the minions with the mazes,that's a completely different kind of puzzle IMO. Please tell me if he made a game based on maze solving from an angle where you could barely see. Also, judging from his review of the darkness demo, he has the same problem with this kinda crap that I did.
mike1921 said:
Making a critic play a bad game through to the end will do what exactly? I never expect to hear, from anyone"wade through this massive ocean of shit for the ending".
Just because you don't have the capacity for puzzle solving, which you admit, doesn't mean it's a bad game, it just makes it ill-suited to your playstyle. It's a critics job to play through it. That's what they're payed for, giving a review to its entirety. He stopped playing probably around the use of the fire minions, he doesn't even mention blue or green, let alone what they do. This suggests he didn't even read the manual. Part of each review should be based on how easily you can get a hang of the game, if he's unwilling to learn. Furthermore, maybe there's some redeeming quality later on, like, I don't know, having access to all the minion types. Simply put, don't even try to back it up unless you're going to play through and make a decent objective review that explains the pros and cons. And then you can throw in why you hate it and the developer should go die in a bush, or whatever drivel you want to add. Maybe The Escapist will pay you instead then.
But, how will playing it through to it's entirety change anything? For GOW, maybe this is me being biased, but I think it's pretty out of place to follow killing a barbarian with the blades of athena with a puzzle sequence. There are people who read the manuals before they run into problems O_O ?

It didn't seem like he didn't get the hang of the game to me, it seemed like the difficulty of the actual game (I consider the minion puzzles to be mini-games within the game ) never went up. Which I admit is his fault, thrice so if he chooses the game he reviews every week .

Playing each game through to the end.....given some games I've played and their horribleness/difficulty .....I would need to know the payment.

The Keeper

Feb 19, 2009
The Pope is lawful evil, huh?

Nice to know that Yahtzee is still a little child at heart. Then again, it's games that he excels in, and not worldly issues.