Zero Punctuation: Portal 2

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Portal 2

This week, the Zero Punctuation you've been waiting for. Is Portal 2 better than Portal?

Watch Video

Telekinesis

Apr 26, 2008
Fuck me I was so hyped for this one. Great, comprehensive review. I agree that I like Portal 1's more 'modest' approach, so to speak.

Amax29

Feb 11, 2009
I had the same problem when I played co-op with two different people, it was fun with the first person but the second person was so slow to solve puzzles I just did it for him, it was a very frustrating experience for both of us.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Well,I've been looking forward to this episode for 2 weeks, so my feelings about it is much like your feelings toward Portal 2. I pretty much expected everything you said, so I was very disappointed. Maybe I just know you too well. For the record, I think it holds up very nicely and I'll look back on both the Portal games as the best there ever was.

motyr

May 24, 2010
well...uh...apparently the mods didnt like that I simply said "great review" in my original post...so let me expand.

I agree with your final analogy re: cherries/sawdust. Couldn't have said it better myself. Particularly in the middle third of the game, the exploration sequences get really dodgy. I appreciate some exploration in games (eg. Metroid) but this was way too over-the-top for Portal. My other criticism is that some of the puzzles seemed a bit too reliant on "luck" for me. But thats all. I would give it a 9/10

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
HankMan said:
When it comes to decent sequels, Portal 2...
Takes the Cake!
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
How the hell do you manage to make 90% of your posts lately puns?

hawk533

Dec 17, 2009
Glad to see you enjoyed Portal 2 enough to recommend it to others. I haven't picked it up yet, but this was a good reminder that I should get on that.

Sudenak

Mar 31, 2011
Yeah...Portal 2 had the problem of having to overdo everything in hopes of pleasing a fanbase that is possible crazier than any other fanbase out there.

(and yes, they did briefly mention cake in Portal 2)

It's a good game, but I do agree that having puzzles in gigantic empty spaces where I'm squinting to try and find the one portal spot is just tedious. I think the only room I liked with that was the one where you could spray down the entire room with the portal-able gunk, 'cause I just filled the entire room with it and proceeded to go everywhere.

Some of the puzzles were really fun to do, but none of them took me more than a minute or two to figure out, and most of solving it was just getting the mechanic to agree with me.

So, good game, but just a bit too vast and non-puzzle oriented. Spot on, sir.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
While i did find it hard to get through some of the area transitions, notably from the Enrichment Center into Cave's Enrichment Spheres, it did take me a while to figure out just where the hell i had to go.

As for quantity over quality when i played it it left me with the same satisfaction that i got 3 years ago when i played the first game.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
I agree with the fans of valve.
I will admit not all of them are idiots though.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Awesome review. Glad to see you liked it, but didn't overly shower it with praise.

I might get this game when it comes down in price to something stupid.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Awesome review. Glad to see you liked it, but didn't overly shower it with praise.

I might get this game when it comes down in price to something stupid.

i7omahawki

Mar 22, 2010
Great review, the replayability is the biggest flaw I think...shame they couldn't somehow figure out randomly generated puzzles...guess that would be next to impossible.

Good news about the incoming DLC though, hopefully that'll extend the length a fair bit.

Gotta say though, I don't really begrudge the game for its lack of replay value, which is odd. I really just thoroughly enjoyed the campaign, I felt that it added a lot more depth and the development of the characters was great.

Still, I haven't done the co-op yet, maybe afterwards I'll feel bitter about it haha.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
*sigh* I foresee 986.3 pages filled with nothing but cake jokes. Great review, but you're right, Portal has the most obnoxious fans of any game thus far.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
yesjam said:
well...uh...apparently the mods didnt like that I simply said "great review" in my original post...so let me expand.

I agree with your final analogy re: cherries/sawdust. Couldn't have said it better myself. Particularly in the middle third of the game, the exploration sequences get really dodgy. I appreciate some exploration in games (eg. Metroid) but this was way too over-the-top for Portal. My other criticism is that some of the puzzles seemed a bit too reliant on "luck" for me. But thats all. I would give it a 9/10
That'd be because you posted before you could have possibly watched the video.

OT: I think I'll have to disagree with Yahtzee on this review, but that may be because I just didn't get the buzz about the first Portal, didn't think it was that great. So from my point of view, more variety and more content is a great thing, I prefer the second.