Zero Punctuation: Psychonauts

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Psychonauts

This week, in honor of The Escapist's Game Circle game of the month [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.44954], Yahtzee throws down on Psychonauts and you, the consumer.

Watch Video

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Not quite as laugh-out-loud hilarious as the other three, but still really, really funny :) Can't wait to see what's coming next!

alexrpgguy

Aug 18, 2007
You, sir, are just astoundingly excellent at what you do XD
Promise me you will never slack off and sell out. I would be devastated to see such talent become monotone. Just look at Penny Arcade.

Tom Edwards

Oct 3, 2006
I'm missing the scathing sarcasm already. This series is definitely better when it's taking the piss out of a game. :)

J.theYellow

Jun 1, 2007
That was excellent. It's good to know early on that Yahtzee can dish it out to gamers as well as games. Psychonauts was poorly marketed (symptom of being hard to classify) and the criticism about the difficulty curve is very accurate, but there's no good reason not to at least play it up until the part where it becomes so hard you want to throw things.

Games ought to be fun, too. Loved that bit. They're not going to get fun unless gamers recapture the spirit of what fun is, and there are too many games that bury fun in heaps of not-fun activities that have to be slogged through.

Andrew Armstrong

Aug 21, 2007
Pen thing bloody hurt ;)

And it was very good, I agree that scathing criticism isn't all the guy can do, and its the better for it :) (although the sarcasm was still heavy). I am glad it only took a few of these to get something that he liked up there :D

I can't wait for next weeks. :)

Sasquatchua

Aug 22, 2007
You've made me feel rather guilty that I acquired a promotional copy through a friend at Double Fine rather than helping the market behave the way it ought to have. I'm really enjoying these reviews - kudos to The Escapist for snatching Yahtzee up!

Aquilon

Jun 18, 2007
Sir,
that was effin brilliant. Somehow The Escapist have gotten even better. May I ask who exactly it was that discovered you and brought you to international stardom?

Corridor

Aug 16, 2007
That one wasn't as good. :colbert: Being angry and SWEARING and stuff doesn't automatically mean funny. I still watched it twice though. Bits of it were cool. Tell your bosses to let you review games that suck.

J.theYellow

Jun 1, 2007
Making people cause themselves pain is always funny.

I'm impressed that Yahtzee can churn these out on a schedule, at least twice in a row. This column would get really old really fast if all he did was play crappy games and make fun of them. Thus far, ZP has had a very consistent message about what games ought to be like.

StolenName

Aug 22, 2007
Jack.B.Nimble said:
I tried the pen thing.

It didn't work.

I feel oddly disappointed.
Agreed. But I'm glad it didn't considering I bought the game - on PS2. Maybe it should have hurt - according to the game of the month circle it was broken.

Enjoying the series still! Actually started playing one of his adventure games yesterday (the DeFoe series) and I'm thoroughly enjoying that I can run them in a window and hide it from my boss when he sneaks up behind me to check what I'm doing. ;)

Rock.

StolenName

Aug 22, 2007
Upon watching it again ... that scene regarding the Mysty-Eyed hippy and the narcoleptic ritalin popping douche is hillarious ... love the Halo 3 line as well. Does well to sum up the majority of active skim-readers and comment whores present on most gaming websites eg. Kotaku, ICGamers, Joystiq, GameSpot, NEOgaf etc.

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
StolenName said:
Jack.B.Nimble said:
I tried the pen thing.

It didn't work.

I feel oddly disappointed.
Agreed.
You can file this under "curiosity killed the cat" but I found at first that it did not work either. At first.

The trick to hurting oneself is making sure that when you squeeze, the two pairs of fingers remain in the same plane. If you allow two fingers to subduct under the other two, and the pen twists, there is no pain.

So, if you keep the fingers in a flat plane, and squeeze, it does indeed hurt. And surprisingly, while the initial pain is not very great, the dull ache produced lasts a little longer than you would think.

So, ummm... ow.

StolenName

Aug 22, 2007
Geoffrey42 said:
You can file this under "curiosity killed the cat" but I found at first that it did not work either. At first.

The trick to hurting oneself is making sure that when you squeeze, the two pairs of fingers remain in the same plane. If you allow two fingers to subduct under the other two, and the pen twists, there is no pain.

So, if you keep the fingers in a flat plane, and squeeze, it does indeed hurt. And surprisingly, while the initial pain is not very great, the dull ache produced lasts a little longer than you would think.

So, ummm... ow.
Oh, dear. That's ... wow.

Dedication! I'll give it a shot after lunch :)