Zero Punctuation: Psychonauts

LxDarko

Nov 11, 2006
That was a funny video and it did make feel a bit bad for never buying Psychonauts, but I still not going to go get it.

Unfortunately I hate platformers haven't played one since Crash Bandicoot 3 and the first Spyro the Dragon. Spyro ruined platformers for me and I've never looked back since then. To bad he didn't make Pychonauts a rpg, shooter or action adventure game instead, I would have bought the game if it had been in one of those genres.

StolenName

Aug 22, 2007
LxDarko said:
To bad he didn't make Pychonauts a rpg, shooter or action adventure game instead, I would have bought the game if it had been in one of those genres.
That's ... sarcasm right?

StolenName

Aug 22, 2007
J.theYellow said:
Leave it to gamers to spend time analyzing an activity to minimize and maximize pain.
It's funny though, when you follow the instructions laid out by Geoffrey42, it really does hurt.

I'll accept that as punishment for not buying the PC version the second time round and taking it on Press license instead.

Ouch.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
StolenName said:
LxDarko said:
To bad he didn't make Pychonauts a rpg, shooter or action adventure game instead, I would have bought the game if it had been in one of those genres.
Or a healthy dose of irony?

fupjack

Aug 19, 2007
CantFaketheFunk said:
StolenName said:
LxDarko said:
Or a healthy dose of irony?
Funny. Humor is best when completely accidental.

lightbulbsun

Aug 23, 2007
This is awesome. I've loved these every since I saw them on SA recently. And yes, I registered and know of this site because of Yahtzee!

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
lightbulbsun said:
And yes, I registered and know of this site because of Yahtzee!
Welcome! Hopefully you'll see more stuff you like here. If not, we'll see you every Wednesday!

DeusExMathias

Aug 17, 2007
:D Nice.
I wanted to get Psychonauts, but never got around to it. Great review, dude! Although, now I've gone 15 seconds without killing something and am starting to feel a bit... twitchy.

J.theYellow

Jun 1, 2007
Factual note: According to DoubleFine's blog, Psychonauts has been officially out of print in America since June, but there are apparently about 500,000 in circulation here and THQ is still pressing new copies in Europe. As of this writing, only the PC version was available new on Amazon and the used Xbox versions were selling for $20, the latter of which won't be making Tim any money.

The PC version's on Steam and GameTap and TryGames, though, and should you find a used Xbox version (like I did,) it runs fine on the latest Xbox 360 update -- having an 3r33t version with an attached hard drive helps. Haven't found any problems besides switching to and from the Start options menu changes Raz's outfit to the sky-blue background color for the menu.

Aug 27, 2007
Brought a smile to my face, but I liked the others better because you're attacking the game. I'm all for glowing reviews...but somehow seeing a game get slandered makes it laugh-out-loud funny.

...the exception being the cheap shot you took at World of Warcraft. Calling it a second job when it clearly is the first MMORPG that does NOT feel like a second job seems a bit counter-intuitive to me. :)

TheLostSkeleton

Aug 27, 2007
Either it's the "Ultima Online got a makeover" flash-ads or it's the video service you guys are using, but trying to view this entry pretty much forces Firefox to use 98% of currently available process cycles - in other words, EVERYTHING stops working, even most of Firefox itself. The only solution to regain control of my system is to open the task manager and forcibly terminate the Firefox process.

The same thing happens when people embed Youtube videos on other websites, but in those cases, it's easily fixed by pausing the video - it only uses up 98% of currently available process cycles strictly while the video is playing, which is somewhat understandable.

Not so, here. Considering I was able to watch the last two videos no problem, I'm assuming the problem is the Ultima banners - but if I enable adblock to get rid of them, the video stops showing up, too.

We're basically talking a lose-lose situation, here.

Edit: I can't even turn adblock on and make exceptions JUST for the Videoegg player, it seems. Putting all Videoegg related URLs into Adblock's exceptions/allowed URLs list makes the player window show up, but the video still won't play.

I understand you guys need the money from advertising, but I'm not going to tolerate this, sorry.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
TheLostSkeleton, I'm running Firefox and have no such problems viewing the video. Hm. Interesting.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
sharp, et al: We've been investigating the Flash slowdown issue. It's true that some of the flash-heavy ads we've been running lately cause a hit (not anything like 98%, but a hit) and we're looking at what to do about that. Those are delivered to us as-is by the respective developers so if you feel compelled to hate on anyone, blame Garriot.

In the mean time we're looking at how to ease the situation, or if it's even possible, barring rejecting ads that bunk the site. If we come up with anything, we'll let you know.