Zero Punctuation: Rage

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
You mentioned Borderlands awful PC problems, but Rage's were worse to the tune of, it wasn't even really playable upon release. Because id had been using mystical non-existent drivers during testing.

The best of ideas, obviously.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
You're a cynic.

Beyond that, very nice rant as always. I wasn't too fond of this game, all my friends were.
God knows why, they don't really answer me. Seemingly it's just "fun".

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Im still in half a mind to buy this. Hell i loved Borderlands and Fallout.. but i think Rage may just be its bastard child..

Dutch 924

Making the impossible happen!
Dec 8, 2010
I've seen videos for RAGE. I agree, the sky is gorgeous and the animations are very smooth (if a little exagerrated at times), but if he says that it's not long for a game that has three discs, I might not get it.

Also, it's nice that this apocalypse came about through an asteroid strike, instead of (another) nuclear war.

JayDeth

Dec 18, 2009
This covered my thoughts exactly. It's pretty bland. And it was so hyped for... no reason. Why did this game have so much hype, why?

SaunaKalja

Sep 18, 2009
I kept hearing some people talk about Rage, but I could never find out why I should've been excited about it. The only things that consistently came up were "there are really fancy animations" and "it is developed by John Carmack".

Now I have seen some gameplay videos of it and I still don't know why I should be excited about it.

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
You mean id Software's latest title is nothing but a glorified tech demo? Shit. Well, I certainly wasn't expecting such a radical departure from their established business model...

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
The Point with the CD/DvD-Count is nails on. Nice phrasing for a problem I noticed before but could not into words.

I attribute it to the overall mentality of the industry of wanting to sell more games at a 60$-Tag, instead of selling one game that lasts you three years. (Morrowind)

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
You don't get it Yahtzee the entire point of Rage was to show off the new engine Skyrim is going to run on. And to shoot bandits dressed like children in robot costumes during halloween.

Alright, apparently I hallucinated reading that id was going to/did make the engine for Skyrim you can stop quoting me now.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
A game that's just a glorified tech demo wrapped around a convoluted and nonsensical plot?

Yeah... It's an Id Game.

therockdemon

Mar 17, 2011
i have rage for the xbox 360 and i never even used the 3 disc the story just ended after you get to the top of the authority tower during the 2 disc

Diegolomac

Jan 28, 2009
Great review, I agree that the effort on visuals means that they put less time in making the game long and really compelling even though it has three discs.

Anyways, I wonder how the hell is Yahtzee going to review what comes from here to the end of December. Just in October releases, there's still Spidermand Edge of Time, Dark Souls, Batman Arkham City, Battlefield 3, X-men Destiny, Forza 4, and Ace Combat Assault Horizon. And that's without counting the other, smaller ones, like Kinect titles he most certainly won't play.

November won't get any better, with Skyrim, Sonic Generations, Serious Sam 3, Assassin's Creed Revelations, Modern Warfare 3, Rayman Origins, Lord of the Rings War in the North, etc, etc. I wonder if he'll start reviewing two games at once, if he'll review the remaining ones next year, or if he'll just ignore more than half of the releases.