Zero Punctuation: Rage

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
lol some very very good points here

all in all...I do wanna try Rage. I did enjoy Borderlands for a while, tho the story and action got boring even WITH co-op :/ at least Rage is pretty?

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
I was never really intent to pick up Rage anyways. I've got nothing against Id and they do make some decent games but there's an antiquated feel to them, like they never really got over Doom and Quake. Sure those games were good when they were around, but there's a lot more available to pick from these days and if I really needed to I'd just re-install my copy of Painkiller or Half-Life 2.

I guess my point is that despite the polish, at its core games like Rage still feel like Doom 3 or Quake 4, which feel like Doom and Quake, which are very dated games. And that is a problem, because if I wanted to play a game that feels like a classic, I'll play the classic. Maybe in a century when the bombs go off and I've become a radioactive lich forced to feed on the souls of passerby's, having a game like Rage will help me recall those nostalgic days of yore when I enjoyed games like Doom. And still had skin. But for now we can just play Doom, and that makes Rage redundant.

And I don't want to play Doom anyways.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Yahtzee has so eloquently echoed a feeling I've had since FF13: Programmers are spending all their time and money to make the game as shiny and bloom spackled as possible to enchant the graphics tards/360 owners at the expense of creating a game with any staying power or replay-ability.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Ya know I thought to myself if the vehicles sections were fleshed out more perhaps with more open spaces. Lots visually interesting environments to run through. Some creatures a to gun down. A giant creature to gun down. And finally. A wide array of vehicles with interesting advantages like a car that can jump or a tank your friend can jump into and ride shotgun in.

All right. Full disclosure I would have liked rage's car section if it included some of the cool stuff you could do in Jak 3.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
funny how "game similar to another" in today's industry basically means "complete ripoff"

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Spoilers were to be expected.The game is out for almost 2 weeks so there's that.

OT: Plenty of spot on remarks on this game Yahtzee which I agree with.

The technical problems with some of the games on the PC version was really awful,expecially the texture pop-in which was horrendous,trying to compensate for 60fps smooth gameplay.

Dash-X

Aug 17, 2009
What I'd like to know is why this game was titled "RAGE". All the NPCs seemed fairly cool and level-headed. There was no rage on the part of the protagonist, either. Why did they call this game "RAGE"?

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
I was really disappointed by this game. I thought it would be one of the best games this year but it turned out to be the opposite.

SickBritKid

Jan 11, 2011
Did you just say that FFVII is a "bad example" of a long gaming experience, Yahtzee!?

C'mon, man, I knew that you were an elitist sod with a chip on his shoulder about damn near EVERYTHING, but only an idiot would say that Final Fantasy VII was any sort of bad.

Even the FF6 elitist fucks I've tangled with have admitted that FF7 was a groundbreaking masterpiece, they just said that it's incredibly overrated whereas FF6, the the Final Fantasy series in general, was only moderately popular in the States prior to 7's advent.

Say what you will about FF7 being a "bad example", Yahtzee. It's still damn near my favorite game of all time, only coming CLOSE to being ousted by MODERN games like Mass Effect 2 or other such great games.

Personally, I think you just hate 7 because 7 was the game that solidified the FF series' place as a cornerstone of RPGs, which would eventually give us the travesty that is FF13...

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Really Yahtzee, you're going to compare the lenght of a SHOOTER to an RPG? That's amazingly stupid, even for you. There are hints of RPG, but Rage is without a doubt an FPS, as you even point out as being part of Shooter Season 2011. So compare it to an older shooter. How long was Quake or Halo? Oh, that's right, sub 10 hours. How long is Rage? 12+ hours. Yeah, games sure are getting short these daaaay.....wait, THAT'S LONGER.
VulakAerr said:
Urh said:
fanklok said:
You don't get it Yahtzee the entire point of Rage was to show off the new engine Skyrim is going to run on. And to shoot bandits dressed like children in robot costumes during halloween.
Uhhh, what? Pretty damn sure Skyrim isn't using id Tech 5...
You are correct, sir. It is using a heavily modified Oblivion engine.
Creation is not Gamebryo 2.0, it is a completely new engine. Which having actually seen the game in person now, is very apparent. Creation will likely be used for FO4 as well, though I sorta hope they use idTech 5 after they work the kinks out of it.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
believer258 said:
To be fair, Final Fantasy VII, like many RPG's in general, had tons of turn-based random encounters that stopped you every thirty fucking seconds so you could tap the same attack button until everything died. At least that's the impression I got of it after playing for two hours.

I do have RAGE but I'm not playing it until tomorrow, when fall break starts and I can really admire the great graphics, great animation, and shooting stuff. Because my criteria for a good shooter amounts to "it controls well, runs well, and the guns look and sound cool".
HA, but according to yatzhee you can finish this in a weekend, so hope your fall break isn't too long or you have another game to back you up !

OT: Great video , wasn't even thinking of getting it , but now i won'T even get it when the price drops.

dantoddd

Sep 18, 2009
I had high hope for this game but now i'm finding it difficult to convince myself to finish this :(

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
i hated every second of Rage. sold it off to a friend (and i almost never sell my games) and was glad that was able to return 60% of money. i was promised rich fps RPG but in the end was left with depthless FRS derp with a sh*tty story and lazy setting design. i'm utterly disappointed with id Software.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
krazykidd said:
OT: Great video , wasn't even thinking of getting it , but now i won'T even get it when the price drops.
This, right here, is everything wrong with Yahtzee fans. You take an online cynics word as gospel and don't try anything for yourself.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
It can be played in a weekend you say? Y rent it is than. Y would i want to spend $60 on that?!

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Jennacide said:
krazykidd said:
This, right here, is everything wrong with Yahtzee fans. You take an online cynics word as gospel and don't try anything for yourself.
Did you miss the part of me saying , i wasn't even thinking of getting it ?