Zero Punctuation: Red Dead Redemption

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
I just need to get this out of my system: I HATED the vehicle controls in GTA4. I couldn't even take civilized slow turns without veering completely off the highway. I guess 3/4 of the budget was spent on all the new content and not fixing the stewpid controls.

BurroDiablo

Mar 5, 2009
Does anybody know what version he played? I've had very little trouble with the 360 version.

I was surprised by Red Dead tbh, I didn't expect to like it as much as I did(never been a fan of Westerns), but with the immersibility and the immense detail, R* San Diego deserve the Ratings they are getting for it, theres still a lot of effort in this game even if it isn't to everybody's tastes. I've witnessed a few bugs, but nothing terrible; the horse stuck in a wall and people merging with them are new to me and I've nearly finished the story. I've had ONE crash with the game and even then I'd been playing it 12 hours straight (lazy weekend). Controls aren't bad, I had a little trouble getting used to riding horses but you get used to it a few hours in. Texas Hold em' is the best minigame, but I agree the rest are shite.
Also, these have probably been pointed out, but you can Fast Travel and change the Aiming system to Expert which disables lock-on.

Thumper17

May 29, 2009
I have to say, this is the first review I've 100% disagreed with.

I've never had any glitches. It's froze on me two or three times and I've been intsa killed by cougars a few times and that's pretty much it. It's been flawless, maybe Yahtzee should start importing games. Since I heard the UK game is buggier then the non UK versions.

I really think Yahtzee is losing his touch. He seemed to really be stretching for this one, all he talked about was bugs, no REAL problems with the game. Cause their are none. Every other review I've seen of it has been no lower then 9.6 or 7 out of ten.

Yahtzee should really focus more on the actual game instead of the very fixable bugs.

CKalvin

Sep 21, 2009
Therumancer said:
Okay, I am not one who is going to sing the praises of "Red Dead Redemption" to the high heavens despite liking the game quite a bit. However I am in the odd position of saying what a lot of other people (who I typically disagree with) have said to Yahtzee in the past, about him not having played the game he's reviewing. By this I do not mean "didn't play it right", or "didn't play it enough", but when he's talking about these glitches I can't say that I've run into anything he's talked about for the most part. What's more when he talks about the mini-games he comments on them being pointless, but a lot of those side tasks are connected to obtaining various outfits to change the protaganist's appearance. Not to mention the aquisition of Fame and Honor/Dishonor (depending on what your doing) which unlocks differant perks depending on where you are on the meter.

Though I will say I sort of agree with Yahtzee on the title. However I tend to think the "Red", being used in relation to a lot of games nowadays, comes from a subversive tone of idealized communism. People have talked about this in the "Red Faction" games (where it also has a dual meaning with Mars being the red planet), here I tended to notice that a lot of the philsophical jabbering that is going on tends to ultimatly be very anti-capitolist, anti-progress, and to an extent anti-goverment (at least the one in the US). I don't think you have to agree with what is being said to appreciate the game, but I suspect this might have something to do with the title. It's not "beat you over the head" ridiculous about it, despite the bias.

Basically I can get where the "Red" and the "Redemption" comes from looking at the content of the game, but I'm not entirely sure about the "Dead" part, though the ending of the game might have something to do with it.

I could of course be entirely wrong, I suppose unless Rock Star explains it (if they haven't already) we'll never know for sure. In the end it doesn't much matter.

It's also vaguely possible that they simply decided to start subscribing to the Japanese system of naming things, which is just to throw a bunch of random stuff out there most of the time. For example there was this one Anime called "Plastic Little"... it was about a busty teenager who commands a private mercenary whale-capturing submarine she inherited, that happens to be powerful enough to stand off the combined military forces of the planet it's on. She winds up using this, and other technology at her disposal, to protect an orphan caught up in a govermental coup. What the name "Plastic Little" has to do with any of this, and how anyone is supposed to even remotely infer what it's about from that title, is beyond me. However names like that have been occuring for decades, and I guess it shouldn't surprise me that with the way the East and West have been mingling pop culture recently, that some western companies wouldn't jump on the band wagon.
Having only played Red Faction 1, I can agree with the presence of idealised communism in it. The red, the hand clutching a hammer/pick/TOOL, the suppressed working class in revolt etcetc. I mean, just look at the cover art for Red Faction II http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e3/Red_Faction_2_Front.jpg/256px-Red_Faction_2_Front.jpg
That being said, I don't think its very substantial or profound considering the game doesn't reallllyyy bring it to the surface and discuss it.

ps this review was great, loved the beginning with Yahtzee VS Rockstar haha

pps how to embed images? =D

ahiddenfigure

Hunter of Monsters
Sep 14, 2009
So I take it we're not getting another cross-dressing art competition for this and Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood? Dern it... I was looking forward to it.

Timothy Vancrey

Mar 5, 2010
lol it is true about the crappy controls. I don't know how many times I failed to walk onto a set of steps I guess I am not good enough to even get into the doorway. I never ran into any glitches. I guess I was just lucky to not run into them, or I just never really noticed them which is more likely. P.S. I just remembered after writing this it froze on my once. Not that big of a problem when I look back, but I was ticked when it happened. And what is all this about the Cougars killing people? They always caught me by surprise, but they never killed me. The things that killed me where when the flipping bears attacked 2 or 3 at a time.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Another funny review Mr.Croshaw,really liked the mountain lion part and all the GTA comparisons.

Eagerly awaiting to see what will be the next "victim".

PasDeChat

Mar 22, 2009
Very confused i saw Red Dead Redemption and did a double take, hadn't he already done this one. no wait that was Dead to Rights: Retribution.

p3t3r

Apr 16, 2009
i think he was a bit nit-picky i found no bad glitches like the ones he mentioned. aside from one infinite load screen.

so is John Marston a manly man or a Macho man is what i want to know

Therumancer said:
well actually there was a PS2 era western named Red Dead Revolver that needed a publisher Rockstar bought the rights and published the game so Red Dead Redemption is in a way a sequel and the red dead part is just the name of the series

here is the wikipedia page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dead_Revolver

Katnap_Devikat

Feb 12, 2010
I experienced all those glitches but not since i updated, and much like his review of MH:Tri (which i loved, and he hated), he managed to point out the flaws of the game through the eyes of the modern gamer (ie. People that play MW2, and sing the Praises of Halo. ie. idiots).

Dooly95

Jun 13, 2009
While I realise that my comment will be ignored by most; ZP is about the flaws in a game. No one wants to hear praises about a game, if they did they'd go to gamespot or ign.

Yes to all the glitches. I also kind of get why they did it, but having the water insta-kill you is kinda silly - one point my horse skidded down the side of the ledge and half-immersed in water. Because whistling for it never worked (took way too long, the horses are half-deaf or something) I thought, "Hey, I'll just ride this one out" - and drowned. In water that didn't even reach me.

The doors, oh those doors. Running's annoying, especially when you have a hoard of grizzlies come at you (they travel in packs, and they each take 5 shots with the rifle), auto-aim was helpful, until they got to the stage where I had to start shooting people's hats off... I managed to kill a fair few people for it.

I'm glad he touched on the part that the main part of the story is short. 15~20 hours isn't the shortest by any means, but after finishing the main story, I can't get myself back into the game. It's like, there's nothing for it, aside from picking flowers (10 + 2 of each kind, no thank you).

Verex

May 31, 2010
Cid SilverWing said:
I just need to get this out of my system: I HATED the vehicle controls in GTA4. I couldn't even take civilized slow turns without veering completely off the highway. I guess 3/4 of the budget was spent on all the new content and not fixing the stewpid controls.
I agree with you. I traded in my GTA games. They were overly repetitive and driving sucked some serious...

SendMeNoodz84

Jun 11, 2009
Is there anything that will please you? You're everything that's wrong with most gamers today: They've forgotten how to have fun. If you can't sit back and enjoy a good game, maybe gaming isn't for you Yahtzee.

I'll continue to suggest some hobbies:

Kite Flying
Train Model Building
Painting
Clay Working

Also here's a website you might like: http://www.discoverahobby.com/

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
Interesting 'review.'

I've decided I enjoy these videos simply for the humor. Otherwise, Croshaw just sounds bitter and jaded when he's not being funny.
After about 6-7 hours of playing, I have yet to encounter any of the glitches mentioned in this video.

The only time Marston has slid like he was on "rocket skates" was, fittingly, down a very steep incline.

I haven't had any issues with the controls he mentions. None. At all. Though I am admittedly not a fan of the "tap A to run" business...

...but that aside, the griefs with the controls and handling of GTA and RDR in this video reminds me of an old adage from the creative sphere of things.

Those that can, do. Those that can't, criticize.

NJ

Feb 12, 2009
The animals in this game are so insanely hellbent on haunting you, you're scarred for life.

"Cougars? Whe--*cougar'd*"
"Grizzly bears are loud, big and can tilt over your car - You bli--*RAAWWUUHHRRR*
"And just when you think wolves trek in packs, they trek in billions. *skins 65 more corpses*"
"How about them boars then eh? Well, I got ba--*gets run the fuck over by a boar*"
"Then there's domesticated dogs that wander around town that walk infront of hors--*crush* Whoops."
"Also, bunnies. Yeah, cute? THERES MILLIONS! Mass breeding!"

*sobs*

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
Hexenwolf said:
SonicKoala said:
Hexenwolf said:
SonicKoala said:
Hm, he spent the overwhelming majority of the review hating on the game, and then at the end we hear the words "beautifully written and beautifully atmospheric" - have to say, didn't see that coming. Regardless, it really seems like this game is worth checking out.
You haven't been watching Zero Punctuation for very long have you? With the exception of Portal, even if he really likes a game, he'll still spend the majority of the review tearing it apart.
Yeah, only been watching it for about 2 years or so. So yeah, relatively unexperienced on the subject. Thank you for your profoundly pointless reply, though, I really appreciated that.

I'm fully aware of his review style, he just hadn't made the slightest mention of the story, apart from a small jab at the beginning - to later call the writing "beautiful" was a tad surprising.
And thank you for that sarcastic and mildly insulting reply to a perfectly innocent post. I really appreciated that.

I was not trying to insult you, you know. There are new viewers constantly, and at a glance it's perfectly impossible to tell who's been watching for 2 weeks and who's been watching for 2 years.
Sorry about that, I apologize for the unnecessary sarcasm. I had just replied to someone who had blatantly misinterpreted what I said, and I was feeling a little peeved. I can understand where you're coming from - a big part of my reply was how it was the first time I'd ever been on the first page of the comments section for a ZP video, so I felt compelled to say something other than the generic "great review as always" thing. Once again, sorry - the anonymity of the internet occasionally brings out the dick in me =D