Zero Punctuation: Red Dead Redemption

Plumbomatic

Jul 2, 2010
Boyninja616 said:
I might have got Green Spleen Submarine if they hadn't just brought it out for the consoles. Maybe bringing it out for the PC would actually solve the problem Yahtzee mentioned of VERY bad controls, and the one about sprinting.

Rockstar REALLY dropped the ball there. I guess it was because they didn't seem to involve the AWESOME people at Rockstar North.
The controls aren't nearly as awful as he makes them sound. They are actually rather fluent. Don't judge it if you haven't played it. Rockstar did not drop the ball and I am racially offended that you weren't burned shortly after your birth.
wkrepelin said:
Take this review, combine it with one of those others that just mindlessly shower the game with praise and you've got a pretty fair idea of the game. What really gets me is that this game, as great as most of it is, is just a reskinned version of every other GTA. The game mechanics are decidedly last generation and it's just wrapped in pretty graphics. I think everyone just shit themselves because there's finally a wester worth playing.

By the way, I'm glad Yahtzee got a truly funny review out again. The last three have been a bit ho-hum after the bar he's set previously.

Cheers.
Have you played the game? The controls are nearly identical but only because those controls work for this genre. Other than a similar mission structure which all sandbox games share that's all RDR has in common with GTAIV. The reason people shower the game with praise is because it's sort of a great game. Easily Game of the Year. And last generation? What the hell does that even mean? Surely you're not referring to Euphoria. If you are then you're an idiot. Just to clarify, "Red Dead" comes from Red Dead Revolver, the game's spiritual successor. Red was the name of the main character. It doesn't refer to a color. I refuse to acknowledge the auto aim complaint simply because you can turn it off. I'm positive that the entire review except for the end was sarcasm. If not he's an idiot.

DeepComet5581

Mar 30, 2010
Plumbomatic said:
Boyninja616 said:
I might have got Green Spleen Submarine if they hadn't just brought it out for the consoles. Maybe bringing it out for the PC would actually solve the problem Yahtzee mentioned of VERY bad controls, and the one about sprinting.

Rockstar REALLY dropped the ball there. I guess it was because they didn't seem to involve the AWESOME people at Rockstar North.
The controls aren't nearly as awful as he makes them sound. They are actually rather fluent. Don't judge it if you haven't played it. Rockstar did not drop the ball and I am racially offended that you weren't burned shortly after your birth.
What the hell prompted that!? Fair enough, you make your point and move on, but you didn't have to insult me at the same time! You certainly didn't have to make it look like I was being a racist just by being born.

Reported.

wkrepelin

Apr 28, 2010
Plumbomatic said:
Have you played the game? The controls are nearly identical but only because those controls work for this genre. Other than a similar mission structure which all sandbox games share that's all RDR has in common with GTAIV. The reason people shower the game with praise is because it's sort of a great game. Easily Game of the Year. And last generation? What the hell does that even mean? Surely you're not referring to Euphoria. If you are then you're an idiot.
Yeah, I have played it. I own it and finished it some time ago. I got 760 gamerscore from it and I really liked it (I'm thinkihng about going for 100% since I'm nearly there already).

Everything I said was true. The game mechanics are decidedly last generation as in the controls and the mission structure is nearly identical to all the gta games on the PS2. I know Euphoria is a current gen engine and I don't know where you got the idea that was what I was talking about. The game is glitchy as hell and it drags in the middle. I would still give it a 9/10 though. It is a competitor for game of the year. It's up there with Mario Galaxy 2, Mass Effect 2 and God of War III but it still has issues and that should be reflected in the game's scores. That's why I said that if you combine this review with one of the other ones that just shower the game with praise as if there's no problems then you'll get a good idea of the way the game really is. It's a really good game but it has issues.

Plumbomatic

Jul 2, 2010
wkrepelin said:
Plumbomatic said:
Have you played the game? The controls are nearly identical but only because those controls work for this genre. Other than a similar mission structure which all sandbox games share that's all RDR has in common with GTAIV. The reason people shower the game with praise is because it's sort of a great game. Easily Game of the Year. And last generation? What the hell does that even mean? Surely you're not referring to Euphoria. If you are then you're an idiot.
Yeah, I have played it. I own it and finished it some time ago. I got 760 gamerscore from it and I really liked it (I'm thinkihng about going for 100% since I'm nearly there already).

Everything I said was true. The game mechanics are decidedly last generation as in the controls and the mission structure is nearly identical to all the gta games on the PS2. I know Euphoria is a current gen engine and I don't know where you got the idea that was what I was talking about. The game is glitchy as hell and it drags in the middle. I would still give it a 9/10 though. It is a competitor for game of the year. It's up there with Mario Galaxy 2, Mass Effect 2 and God of War III but it still has issues and that should be reflected in the game's scores. That's why I said that if you combine this review with one of the other ones that just shower the game with praise as if there's no problems then you'll get a good idea of the way the game really is. It's a really good game but it has issues.
Once again the controls are nearly identical because they work for this genre. What else could they do? Maybe have right trigger jump and x pause the game? If I remember correctly you couldn't take cover in any GTA games on the Ps2. The mission structure once again can't really be changed, nearly all sandbox games have a similar structure. Meet someone, go to their map marker, work for them, finish mission, meet someone else, and repeat. How the hell could they change that? Nothing about the game is last gen. What game mechanics are you referring to? What, specify, is last gen? You penalize a game for using a good control scheme that works or for using a mission structure that makes sense. Everything you said was idiotic.

wkrepelin

Apr 28, 2010
Plumbomatic said:
Once again the controls are nearly identical because they work for this genre. What else could they do? Maybe have right trigger jump and x pause the game? If I remember correctly you couldn't take cover in any GTA games on the Ps2. The mission structure once again can't really be changed, nearly all sandbox games have a similar structure. Meet someone, go to their map marker, work for them, finish mission, meet someone else, and repeat. How the hell could they change that? Nothing about the game is last gen. What game mechanics are you referring to? What, specify, is last gen? You penalize a game for using a good control scheme that works or for using a mission structure that makes sense. Everything you said was idiotic.
Wow, you are just the whiniest of fanboys and a rude jerk to boot. Why are you on a new account? Get banned or suspended for being rude?

Edit: typo

Plumbomatic

Jul 2, 2010
wkrepelin said:
Plumbomatic said:
Wow, you are just the whiniest of fanboys and a rude jerk to boot. Why are you on a new account? Get banned or suspended for being rude?

Edit: typo
When I dismiss all your points you turn to insulting me. Seems like you had and have no argument. I did not have an account prior to yesterday. This account was made specifically to insult you. In my defense you deserve it.

Plumbomatic

Jul 2, 2010
Romeka B said:
SonicKoala said:
Hm, he spent the overwhelming majority of the review hating on the game, and then at the end we hear the words "beautifully written and beautifully atmospheric" - have to say, didn't see that coming. Regardless, it really seems like this game is worth checking out.
... do you guys even watch these reviews?

He's saying it is, indeed, a good looking, well told video of immersion... it's just missing the whole "game" part. There's no point to getting money to buy guns or horse pills or whatever because: you're not punished in any way for dying, you get the upgrades and extras within the missions anyway, and the "challenges" offer no reward other than "fame" which doesn't give you any real, or rather, palpable advantage/reward while playing.

Watch better. You'll learn something.
You are punished for dying, you lose all progress since your last save. Not all guns are rewarded from mission, you still need ammo, challenges award you rewards like free stagecoaches or the buffalo rifle. I wouldn't call these reviews because they give you a completely incorrect judgment of the game. Nearly none of his complaints are true or make sense. You must not have played the game and you shouldn't pass judgment. Lastly the only thing you'd learn by watching closely is that you are a condescending ass and these farces don't give you an idea of what the game is like.

Bourne

May 8, 2010
Mountain lions are the bane of my existence... I have yet to meet a bear, though.

I have only experienced one glitch: While out hunting packs of wolves (collected about 60 hearts at this point), a mountain lion (my first encounter) sneaks up on my and chews on my kneecap, so I shoot at it once point blank with the double-barrel shotgun, which of course erases it from existence, only to have my character permanently stuck in "hold-your-gun-up" mode, unable to fire, reload, or take a piss, which is of course about the time another cougar shows up and decides to start browsing the lunch menu for the testicle special... so here I am, unable to run, crouch, shoot, or mount my horse, and this mountain lion is chasing my like I've got honey smoked turkey stapled to my taint; needless to say, the encounter ended with my death and the loss of all the shit I had collected over the past hour since the last save.

Lessons learned from my Purple Monkey Dishwasher experience:

Lesson 1 - Rockstar writing is superb, and any cutscene which makes me want to slap my girlfriend for interrupting is to be considered engaging and relevant to the game, and besides, I asked for a fucking sandwich 2 minutes ago, woman
Lesson 2 - Mountain lions prove my theory that all cats are demons and thus should be destroyed
Lesson 3 - Five finger fillet is not the same in real life as it was in the game, and even when using a butter knife, is extremely painful and damaging to expensive tabletop furniture
Lesson 4 - Just Cause 2 is a horrible, empty black hole of a game, and selling a black hole for 60$ is... well, genius, actually...
Lesson 5 - Plot and character development trumps customization and in-game freedom and online multiplayer any day

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Plumbomatic said:
The control scheme works, judging by your comment you haven't played the game and you are taking everything Yahtzee said literally. I mean this with high offense, You're and idiot.
You're a troll who seems hellbent on insulting everyone in this thread. Why take criticisms of this game so personally? Did you work on the dev team?
No I haven't played it, I was merely reacting to Yahtzee's review. I take everything he says with a grain of salt. That doesn't matter to you though, as you also insulted another guy who actually did play the game, just because you disagreed with him.
Reported.

reddeadgod

Jul 16, 2010
why u gotta hate? if you stop thinking so critically about the game you might enjoy it, i personally found the story and plot enthralling.

reddeadgod

Jul 16, 2010
im not sure what yatzee is talking about when it comes to glitches, maybe our playing it on the PC, anyways, i have found very few glitches, the only one i can account for is the one where you park your horse on a animal corps and it skips the skinning animation.
and im playing on xbox

Aug 21, 2008
That was a bit harsh, I played it on ps3 and it didn't glitch once. And if you don't like the auto-aim training wheels, take them off in the menu you big softcock! It's not hard!

akmarksman

Mar 28, 2008
I loved the review..and the Editors review of it as well.

Tarnation..made me LOLZ.

The hunting didn't take me ages,but while I was hunting up near Tall Trees,there were more cougars than Sex and The City..

Plumbomatic

Jul 2, 2010
beema said:
Plumbomatic said:
The control scheme works, judging by your comment you haven't played the game and you are taking everything Yahtzee said literally. I mean this with high offense, You're and idiot.
You're a troll who seems hellbent on insulting everyone in this thread. Why take criticisms of this game so personally? Did you work on the dev team?
No I haven't played it, I was merely reacting to Yahtzee's review. I take everything he says with a grain of salt. That doesn't matter to you though, as you also insulted another guy who actually did play the game, just because you disagreed with him.
Reported.
I enjoy it when the peons take offense. Report all you want this account was made specifically for insulting peons. I won't ever use it again because I don't find hyper-criticism entertaining. Please report me a few more times to save me the trouble of deleting the account.

hotshot78

Jul 1, 2010
yea i had a problem with the skating thing it happenend once for like a fraction of a second i also hate when you fall over while drunk it takes you awhile to get back up and then your drunk has worn but overall i love this game

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
finally got to play the game!

except...hmm does he not realize you can make camp and save/quick-travel? haha