Zero Punctuation: Red Faction Armageddon

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
Hungry Donner said:
Ne1butme said:
Finally, a Leisure Suit Larry reference that actually works. But now i'm sad when i have to think of what happened to my poor Larry.

I miss Al.

Thanks Yahtzee.
Buck up, Lowe was brought on board for a new Leisure Suit Larry game: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110692-Leisure-Suit-Larry-Returns-Later-This-Year
[sniff] I'm just so happy!!!

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
Another one I knew would be shit from the start. How did they go from a story about a revolution against the oppressive dictatorship on Mars where you could actually do stuff that vaguely resembled guerilla warfare, to Gears of War on Mars? Seriously, they could have just made RF:G again and set it in Libya, that would nearly have made more sense, and I'd buy that one.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
dinggledoser said:
Does Yahtzee know that there were two other Red Faction game before Guerilla?
Yes. I remember him saying something about having the one on the PS2 (don't remember which one that is) and saying that it was one of the few games he had and he hated it.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
It's a different guy now? Well damn I finished the game and never noticed, pretty much tells you how engaging the story is.

The fighting was silly fun tho, I say get it for 10$, or buy it for 50$ and sell it for 40$ like I did.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Wow the plot of this game sounds batshit insane. I'm guessing that guy borrowed that flashlight-thing from the protagonist of Singularity.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions has a better "hero breaks the thingie" plot than this pile a crap. Which, given how much guilt Darius brought upon himself over the whole ordeal, AND the fact that almost everyone instantly (and stupidly) hates him like a colony would a witch in Salem; the game's plot is that of a piss-poor Spider-Man story. I half expected Darius to sprout two sets of arms and spew quips in battle, which would have been awesome: Arm all six arms with each gun and go nuts!

I'm only glad that the disc I rented was fucked up, because it gave me an excuse to return it. That's not to say that I didn't have fun with the sci-fi guns. But even said guns weren't that creative: assault rifle, shotgun, grenade launcher; pew-pew laser, big pew-pew laser; and the make-out gun (or magnet gun).

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Akalabeth said:
Dude they tell you at numerous times you're like, the other guy's grandson.
I would've thought the factions being completely different would've been your first clue.
Well let's see they switched from a zero character space marine called Mason to a zero character space marine called Mason, and they usually don't switch characters between sequels... they really didn't make me think for a moment it's someone else, sure they mention your grandpa but it's not like the previous guy didn't have one.
And how are the factions different? EDF is missing but the rest seems the same.

Honestly with the paper thin plot there really wasn't anything keeping my attention story wise.

Arren Kae

Nov 10, 2010
Yahtzee has revealed over time he's out-of-touch with gamers and sense in some ways.

In this review he complains about the game having multiple weapons to select from. A game with only one weapon wouldn't be focused, it'd be lacking content. I'd accuse him of saying ludicrous things for the sake of having another topic to whine about, having mistaken joking for moaning, but he has been consistent in describing games that do more than one thing as flawed b/c they "lack focus".
A game is capable of doing more than one thing well. Yes, different mechanics (like a racing sim and a RTS) are at odds so how polished they are is independent of each other and the developer might not have the resources (time x money x talent) to implement all the mechanics it intends to but Yahtzee talks like it's fundamentally impossible to do more than one feature well.
The reason he says multiple weapons are bad in the review is he didn't choose what to use quick enough to survive. Indecision is ineptitude on his part, not a design flaw in the game.

On the plus side, if a game's plot is average-to-bad (or not what you're playing it for) I don't care about spoilers so it's good Yahtzee talked about events that happen late in this game. Only in something more substantive and story-based like Skyrim or Human Revolution would spoiling the ending irk me.

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
So glad I didnt buy this played red faction guerilla loved it and came really close to buying armageddon just after. Looks like I saved myself some cash \o/

Bugerion

Jan 10, 2011
Red faction guerilla was a second game yatzhee didn't do his resarche very well
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Faction