Zero Punctuation: Red Faction Armageddon

RagnaThePig

Oct 27, 2010
Hey The Escapist ! I know it is off topic but how about you update that little blurb below the video ?

Yahtzee is a British-born, currently Australian-based writer and gamer with a sweet hat and a chip on his shoulder. When he isn't talking very fast into a headset mic he also designs freeware adventure games and has a novel coming out soon. His personal site is www.fullyramblomatic.com.

Enkidu88

Jan 24, 2010
Bugerion said:
Red faction guerilla was a second game yatzhee didn't do his resarche very well
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Faction
Actually it was the 3rd, because there's a Red Faction 2 as well.

The point he was making is that it felt like there should have been an intervening game between Guerilla and Armageddon, which the original Red Faction obviously isn't.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
Mr.K. said:
Akalabeth said:
Dude they tell you at numerous times you're like, the other guy's grandson.
I would've thought the factions being completely different would've been your first clue.
Well let's see they switched from a zero character space marine called Mason to a zero character space marine called Mason, and they usually don't switch characters between sequels... they really didn't make me think for a moment it's someone else, sure they mention your grandpa but it's not like the previous guy didn't have one.
And how are the factions different? EDF is missing but the rest seems the same.

Honestly with the paper thin plot there really wasn't anything keeping my attention story wise.
Space ENGINEER :)

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
Bugerion said:
Red faction guerilla was a second game yatzhee didn't do his resarche very well
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Faction
It was the third game.

He's talking about Guerrilla as a supposed series, as the Masons are based there.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I actually thought it was a decent game.

But, like Silent Hill 4, it didn't fit in with the series namesake.

Had this been 'Mars: Alien Armageddon' and the canon not connected to the RF universe I'd say it would have been better for it.

Personally, I hope the series finds a home and gets another game made.
Maybe in the style of RF1/2 - but with more destructible environments/elements.

IncredibleKoosh

Apr 20, 2011
LobsterFeng said:
dinggledoser said:
Does Yahtzee know that there were two other Red Faction game before Guerilla?
Yes. I remember him saying something about having the one on the PS2 (don't remember which one that is) and saying that it was one of the few games he had and he hated it.
He mentions it in the Shadow of the Collosus review. Talking about why so many of his favourite games are PS2 games, and how for every Silent Hill 2 there was a Red Faction. Basically the reason was that simply lots of games on the PS2 full stop.

And Guerilla was the first of the rebooted series. The only thing it really had in common with the PS2 games was the name, Mars and destructo-scenery.

honeybakedham

Sep 29, 2009
"This game's plot is like an audio book that someone left in their trouser pocket during the wash."

Well, despite channeling the memory of books on (gasp) tape, that sentence is brilliant!

koga88

May 19, 2009
I thought that he would also mention the game's abysmal length. I sat down with the game and literally finished it in one sitting... in four and a half hours. This is with picking up the little collectibles and watching the completely mishandled storyline.

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
Wait, wait, wait...on Mars with a reconstruction flashlight? Oh Yatzhee, how could you miss that opportunity to reference some serious Brit-nostalgia!

DoomBlackDragon

Sep 13, 2008
Hate to ruin Yahtzee rant but red faction armageddon is the 4th game in the series. Which games 1 2 and Guerrilla was about the civil war between earth and mars. I know most of you may have missed game one and two because they where for the PS2. Which was before the xbox was made. Still armageddon is complete shit. Even though it went back to the lineor shooter that was RF 1 - 2. The story of armegeddon does not even make sence. At less RF 1 2 and Guerrilla keep true about the civil war on mars story plot. Now we have a story plot the goes way out in left field. The whole reassion mars is a big war zone is because it the life blood of humanity. As Earth is dieing. The whole story was like Yahtzee said completely stupid and made little progressing for the war with earth.

I did not mind the many weapon and combat abilities. I just wish I could have carried more then 4 guns at once. Why do shooters have to limite my fun by doing this. We play a shooter to shoot stuff and many creative ways. So more guns = more fun. Specailly if I have all the guns on my back at once. I frankly do not give a fuck if it does not make any sence for me to carring 20 guns at the same time. So does getting shot and not dieing instantly but people do not seem to nit pick about how many bullets our heros and villians can take. So if I can take 2 - 10 rockets in the face with out dieing. Then why should I not be able to carry a tank in my cargo pants.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
A rainbow on Mars? Sure, i'll believe that from a game with magic thing-healing flashlights.

Maybe i'll borrow this from my little brother after he plays through it. For some reason he loved Guerilla and has been stoked to get this "new" one. Can't really say Guerilla ever did it for me and apparently it's the better one of these two -.-

Cat of Doom

Jan 6, 2011
Yopaz said:
Cat of Doom said:
Have THQ ever published a good game?
Saints Row 2.
Company of Heroes.
the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Series.
Warhammer.
Dawn of War.
Metro 2033.

Or simply said. Yes.

OT: Great review. Loved the part where he complains about how he takes the blame for everything.
Oh, fair nuff, just every game I have played from them (Except Metro 2033) I have greatly disliked. Never played Dawn of war or saints row however.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I really enjoyed this game, it was a hell of a lot better than the shittyness that Guerilla was. They actually put more to this one than "destroy stuff to get a real mission, ok, now go to this area and repeat".

dariuseng

Mar 20, 2009
I don't know if anyone has already said this but a TV movie is what bridges the gap between Guerrilla and Armageddon.

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
I think Yahtzee is having some sort of issue that is impacting his closing comments.

I feel like the last couple have been weirdly angry, seemingly at women, except for the last one which strangely was about missing sex or something like that.

What up, man?
Something you would like to talk about?
Get off your chest?
Chest high wall?

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
I agree. The plot a was a fucking train wreck that needs to be forgotten. Thanks a lot Volition for making a crappy, linear sequel to my favourite sandbox.