Zero Punctuation: Red Steel 2

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
joshthor said:
Sovvolf said:
Wow, I've just reported a hell of a lot of people for posting before watching the movie. Anyway... decent review, haven't really played the first game and I haven't the pennies in my pocked to play the second game just yet. I'd have thought a game like Oblivion would be good for the wii, with the sword play and all... though they'd have to downgrade the graphics... a lot. Then they'd have to decrease the size of the world.

Also people, when the movie is posted at 5:00 , don't start offering praise at 5:01... it's impossible to have watched a 5 minute review then processed that it was good, then write a review. What's all this first business about anyway?. That's a permaban offence on the wrong do so why bother.
COMPLAINER!!!!! also, zero punctuation is like....the most popular video series on the escapist. its probably heavily moderated even if people dont report anyone.
Yep I'm an evil complainer, but I'm just getting tired of seeing people post "First" about a minute after the video as been posted... makes no sense to me what so ever.

DrEmo

May 4, 2009
When will the Wii just give up and start pumping out mindless mini game compilations like it's supposed to. Those are the best sellers on the system along with Mario. This gives you and idea of what kind of people own Wiis.
On a better note, Wiis make great projectiles since they're so inexpensive.

airsoftmanic

Aug 6, 2008
nice review.
im still not sold on the Wii. all it's games are either nintendo games which just debase down to mario and mini-games or third party games that recieve no support what so ever from nintendo.
plus the controller still needs some fixing (motion plus does work somewhat) and not putting decent hardware in it to reduce the cost (we all know it was for that reason) is like the final nail in the coffin for me.
and im not just going to beat on Wii either. natal and PS3 motion is probably going to go the same way.
wow, ive rabbled on a while to say "good review".

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
A ReBoot, Calvin and Hobbes, and A Clockwork Orange reference?
My word, it seems I am going to nerd-gasm.

I quite liked this one, granted it may be the call-backs to my childhood that are making me squee with delight.
Regardless, thumbs up.

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
If only the Wii were as hardcore as that Snake Plissken-looking fellow.

And not one but two masturbation jokes (with the first one getting a special "oh-no-he-di'nt" nod.)

I only recently even heard of this game, having looked it up after seeing the box at the local gamestore. It didn't look appealing on the cover, I thought maybe it was going for that same simplistic-art style that Madworld had.

The swordplay looks cool enough, though I've seen/read that it doesn't exactly correspond to the way you're holding the Wiimote (despite it requiring the "advanced" Wii MotionPlus.) Maybe Red Faction 3 will have the 1:1 Wiimote-to-swordplay movement recognition that we've all assumed would come with Big N's wiggle-stick controllers.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
AceInTheHole16 said:
WTF's Reboot?
One of greatest animated series ever made and the first fully 3d series produced by anyone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRQgybOH1tw

Gaming King

Apr 9, 2010
AceInTheHole16 said:
WTF's Reboot?
Oh my gosh. -_-'

Chocolate Caek said:
I would buy this if I had a wii, looks fun.

The motion controls looks very cool
When you get a Wii (might I recommend doing so by the release of Metroid: Other M?), also check out Metroid Prime Trilogy. Best motion control EVER.

Ghostwise said:
Wave it around like a tard! Wii in a nutshell for me. Thanks Yahtzee! :D
Then you are playing the wrong games, sir.

Thunderhorse31 said:
Awesome as usual, even when the Wii does something right it's still gimmicky and condescending.

Best part was the wincest analogy, though I wonder why anyone would think of such a thing...
Wincest is losecest. Why would anyone do... THAT when looking at one's sister? And... how old is the sister in question? ;X

Gammaj4

Nov 18, 2009
The Rockerfly said:
Huh I thought it was going to be awesome, oh well I don't have a Wii but it was still amusing to watch
Actually, it is quite good. Yahtzee tends to exaggerate, and this is no exception.
Unless you spend all your time traipsing about breaking stuff for cash, you're not going to be able to buy all the special moves, weapon upgrades, armor upgrades, ect. faster than your enemies scale.

And while you CAN use the Tiger to kill every enemy with ease, chances are, you won't. The actual combat is too much fun.

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
you know, hes got a point. What other kind of game would be good for precise motion than a sword? They should just make a good sword attachment and keep milking the idea if it leads to realistic style sword fights where you stand sideways towards a friend and actually fight them with the wiimote for points in game.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
TraumaHound said:
If only the Wii were as hardcore as that Snake Plissken-looking fellow.

And not one but two masturbation jokes (with the first one getting a special "oh-no-he-di'nt" nod.)

I only recently even heard of this game, having looked it up after seeing the box at the local gamestore. It didn't look appealing on the cover, I thought maybe it was going for that same simplistic-art style that Madworld had.

The swordplay looks cool enough, though I've seen/read that it doesn't exactly correspond to the way you're holding the Wiimote (despite it requiring the "advanced" Wii MotionPlus.) Maybe Red Faction 3 will have the 1:1 Wiimote-to-swordplay movement recognition that we've all assumed would come with Big N's wiggle-stick controllers.
It doesn't because the gameplay would become a mess. Blocking is 1:1...

At least, that's the excuse the devs came up with.

I think what they said is that if it were 1:1 control, everyone would suck too much. :D

Seriously though, I've spent some time doing martial arts that have sword forms, and it's harder than it looks.

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
Love the Hellsing, Calvin and Hobbs as well as the Princess Bride references. It's nice to see that Yahtzee recovered from his sore throat and delievered a pretty damn good, if rather unexpected, review (I never thought he'd do Red Steel 2 of all things). This really leaves the door open as to what he'll review next week and I can't wait to see it.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
cool but i'm hoping you have a chance to review just cause 2

while i know you'll criticize the shitte story and somewhat frustrating gun controls, i have you will like the feeling of defying gravity and basic physics by hookshotting a 747 while on a fighter jet only to parachute out on to a missile to install a bomb and jump off again to watch it explode

Gaming King

Apr 9, 2010
DrEmo said:
When will the Wii just give up and start pumping out mindless mini game compilations like it's supposed to. Those are the best sellers on the system along with Mario. This gives you and idea of what kind of people own Wiis.
On a better note, Wiis make great projectiles since they're so inexpensive.
I like that you respect the fact that Nintendo can move product and make money, but it's not good business to totally neglect players of good games. The reason the Wii is successful is that, yes, it can crank out stuff for the masses, but also, it cranks out enough (JUST enough) for the hardcore players, too. It's probably about a 50/50 balance. Nobody ought to complain about good business models. The business model is so good that Sony and Micro$oft have--very unsuccessfully--tried to mimic it.

Now, may I direct you to Tatsunoko vs. Capcom?

Midnight Voyager

Jan 7, 2008
Yahtzee, while the Hellsing riff was lovely, it's a Western! Shoulda gone for Vash the Stampede.

Though the hat... probably made it a tough call, yes.

Baron_BJ

Tired. Cold. Bored.
Nov 13, 2009
I haven't bothered to dust off my Wii for a fair while considering how bad most games are in regards to actual gameplay control, but with what can reasonably be considered a positive ZP review of the controls then it can't really be too bad, this kind of action is after all, the reason I purchased the system in the first place. Lack of physical interaction will still make this a bit shitty.

I haven't seen this release in stores here in QLD, despite Yahtzee already having his hands on a copy. It may merely be sold out.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
I fear putting anything in here, for Yhatzee will likely ridicule it, or I will appear a fanboy, or both

I will instead nod approvingly

(Assume I just nodded)