Somehow I Returned?
Dec 2, 2009
Silly Firsters *tsk tsk*

Watched this in HQ and it was AWESOME

Jerking off a wind farm gave me a good laugh

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
FIRST!!!!....wait...

anywho i liked how the move "the tiger" turned the sword into calvin (edit: hobbes). also, air traffic controllers at the hindenburg disaster :p.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
interesting choice
will 2033 be coming around one day?
Toasty Virus said:
Silly Firsters *tsk tsk*

Watched this in HQ and it was AWESOME

Jerking off a wind farm gave me a good laugh
hahaha we elitists rule over the cheaper scum :)
joking, but we get titles :)

J-Alfred

Jul 28, 2009
Yeah, typo on the title screen...

Anyways, this is probably the funniest video that I've seen in a while. For a variety of reasons. Which I won't list here. Except I loved Hobbes showing up as "the Tiger". For he is the greatest.

I look forward to next week, Yahtzee.

xHipaboo420x

Apr 22, 2009
pedroREE said:
heh, reviews God of War III
I noticed that too. Hehe.

Also, it's quite funny all the people wanting to GET THEMSELVES NOTICED by posting before they've even watched the damn thing.

Le_Lisra

norwegian cat
Jun 6, 2009
AceInTheHole16 said:
WTF's Reboot?
Now young man, let me tell you about the nineties..

It was a fully 3Danimated TV-show from the nineties and was at the time insanely awesome and new. Now it is kinda embarrassing but fun, concerning digital people living in your computer.

Never heard of Red Steel or #2 because I never gave the wii more then 3 thoughts but it was funny anyway.

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
Indeed Mr. Croshaw. The first WiiMotionPlus game for the "Hardcore" player. And Mr. Croshaw's more ideas for creating more Wii MotionPlus games will probably go to Natal or even Playstation's Move idea.

wildcard9

Aug 31, 2008
Hmm...references to Charlie Brown, Helsing, and Calvin and Hobbes in the same review.

Yahtzee, here's a dozen freshly baked internet cookies. Nothing like references to old shows and comics we had as kids to bring back nostalgic memories.

sandumanu

Apr 14, 2010
Can you have a closed caption option Yahtzee?

My deaf cousin likes your show when I describe your jokes to her, but I think she would like it even more if there was a closed caption option! And yes she can read that fast!

yellowhead

Nov 18, 2009
You say that the difficulty when you unlock 'The Tiger' is a big flaw. But maybe that was part of the point. I think the game is meant to make you feel like an unstoppable warrior of death by the end, a bit like Kill-Bill.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
MaxChaos said:
pedroREE said:

Also, it's quite funny all the people wanting to GET THEMSELVES NOTICED by posting before they've even watched the damn thing.
and its always the word "FIRST!!!1!!!" isent it?

OT: great review, just wish it was a tad bit longer.

hawk533

Dec 17, 2009
I'm sorry but the princess bride comment at the end almost makes me want to buy the game just to feel like Inigo Montoya.
And then I would play the whole game left handed because I don't want it to be over too quickly.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
sandumanu said:
Can you have a closed caption option Yahtzee?

My deaf cousin likes your show when I describe your jokes to her, but I think she would like it even more if there was a closed caption option! And yes she can read that fast!
im not trying to sound mean or anything, but i dont think anyone in the world can read that fast.

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
Awesome as usual, even when the Wii does something right it's still gimmicky and condescending.

Best part was the wincest analogy, though I wonder why anyone would think of such a thing...

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Wow, I've just reported a hell of a lot of people for posting before watching the movie. Anyway... decent review, haven't really played the first game and I haven't the pennies in my pocked to play the second game just yet. I'd have thought a game like Oblivion would be good for the wii, with the sword play and all... though they'd have to downgrade the graphics... a lot. Then they'd have to decrease the size of the world.

Also people, when the movie is posted at 5:00 , don't start offering praise at 5:01... it's impossible to have watched a 5 minute review then processed that it was good, then write a review. What's all this first business about anyway?. That's a permaban offence on the wrong do so why bother.

A1

Jul 9, 2009
I can't say I'm really all that surprised that Yahtzee doesn't seem to care for the game all that much. It is a Wii game after all.

But what does surprise me is the fact that he didn't review Silent Hill: Shattered Memories this week. Hopefully he'll get around to that next time.

Still, I did find this one to be rather amusing. It's definitely one of Yahtzee's better efforts.

Super Jamz

Apr 16, 2009
Liked the Inigo Montoya reference, even if it was only vaguely related due to the swordplay.

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
...I don't have six fingers on my right hand.

OT: It was an enjoyable episode. I mean, you did lower my hopes about it, but my interest in it is still unchanged. Nice use of both Hobbes and Reboot.
AceInTheHole16 said:
WTF's Reboot?
Reboot was an old CGI cartoon back in the mid-90's. There should be some Youtube clips around about it.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Apr 11, 2008
The video still says "This week, Zero Punctuation reviews God of War III." btw. Great review though.

Joe Deadman

Jan 9, 2010
Overall it was an okay episode. Then that last joke came out of nowhere and had me laughing my head off.
Now excuse me while I find some ducktape to re-attach it.

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
Sovvolf said:
Wow, I've just reported a hell of a lot of people for posting before watching the movie. Anyway... decent review, haven't really played the first game and I haven't the pennies in my pocked to play the second game just yet. I'd have thought a game like Oblivion would be good for the wii, with the sword play and all... though they'd have to downgrade the graphics... a lot. Then they'd have to decrease the size of the world.

Also people, when the movie is posted at 5:00 , don't start offering praise at 5:01... it's impossible to have watched a 5 minute review then processed that it was good, then write a review. What's all this first business about anyway?. That's a permaban offence on the wrong do so why bother.
COMPLAINER!!!!! also, zero punctuation is like....the most popular video series on the escapist. its probably heavily moderated even if people dont report anyone.

bachterman

Mar 12, 2009
the rss said god of war 3. i said wtf? then clicked on the video. then: ooh, a leftover from last week.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Let's retroactively name this one Red Steel and the first one "Ubisoft made a whoopsie in it's pants".

He's on fire today! Easily my favorite review in months.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
joshthor said:
Sovvolf said:

COMPLAINER!!!!! also, zero punctuation is like....the most popular video series on the escapist. its probably heavily moderated even if people dont report anyone.
Yep I'm an evil complainer, but I'm just getting tired of seeing people post "First" about a minute after the video as been posted... makes no sense to me what so ever.

DrEmo

May 4, 2009
When will the Wii just give up and start pumping out mindless mini game compilations like it's supposed to. Those are the best sellers on the system along with Mario. This gives you and idea of what kind of people own Wiis.
On a better note, Wiis make great projectiles since they're so inexpensive.

airsoftmanic

Aug 6, 2008
nice review.
im still not sold on the Wii. all it's games are either nintendo games which just debase down to mario and mini-games or third party games that recieve no support what so ever from nintendo.
plus the controller still needs some fixing (motion plus does work somewhat) and not putting decent hardware in it to reduce the cost (we all know it was for that reason) is like the final nail in the coffin for me.
and im not just going to beat on Wii either. natal and PS3 motion is probably going to go the same way.
wow, ive rabbled on a while to say "good review".

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
A ReBoot, Calvin and Hobbes, and A Clockwork Orange reference?
My word, it seems I am going to nerd-gasm.

I quite liked this one, granted it may be the call-backs to my childhood that are making me squee with delight.
Regardless, thumbs up.

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
If only the Wii were as hardcore as that Snake Plissken-looking fellow.

And not one but two masturbation jokes (with the first one getting a special "oh-no-he-di'nt" nod.)

I only recently even heard of this game, having looked it up after seeing the box at the local gamestore. It didn't look appealing on the cover, I thought maybe it was going for that same simplistic-art style that Madworld had.

The swordplay looks cool enough, though I've seen/read that it doesn't exactly correspond to the way you're holding the Wiimote (despite it requiring the "advanced" Wii MotionPlus.) Maybe Red Faction 3 will have the 1:1 Wiimote-to-swordplay movement recognition that we've all assumed would come with Big N's wiggle-stick controllers.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
AceInTheHole16 said:
WTF's Reboot?
One of greatest animated series ever made and the first fully 3d series produced by anyone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRQgybOH1tw

Gaming King

Apr 9, 2010
AceInTheHole16 said:
WTF's Reboot?
Oh my gosh. -_-'

Chocolate Caek said:
I would buy this if I had a wii, looks fun.

The motion controls looks very cool
When you get a Wii (might I recommend doing so by the release of Metroid: Other M?), also check out Metroid Prime Trilogy. Best motion control EVER.

Ghostwise said:
Wave it around like a tard! Wii in a nutshell for me. Thanks Yahtzee! :D
Then you are playing the wrong games, sir.

Thunderhorse31 said:
Awesome as usual, even when the Wii does something right it's still gimmicky and condescending.

Best part was the wincest analogy, though I wonder why anyone would think of such a thing...
Wincest is losecest. Why would anyone do... THAT when looking at one's sister? And... how old is the sister in question? ;X

Gammaj4

Nov 18, 2009
The Rockerfly said:
Huh I thought it was going to be awesome, oh well I don't have a Wii but it was still amusing to watch
Actually, it is quite good. Yahtzee tends to exaggerate, and this is no exception.
Unless you spend all your time traipsing about breaking stuff for cash, you're not going to be able to buy all the special moves, weapon upgrades, armor upgrades, ect. faster than your enemies scale.

And while you CAN use the Tiger to kill every enemy with ease, chances are, you won't. The actual combat is too much fun.

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
you know, hes got a point. What other kind of game would be good for precise motion than a sword? They should just make a good sword attachment and keep milking the idea if it leads to realistic style sword fights where you stand sideways towards a friend and actually fight them with the wiimote for points in game.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
TraumaHound said:

And not one but two masturbation jokes (with the first one getting a special "oh-no-he-di'nt" nod.)

I only recently even heard of this game, having looked it up after seeing the box at the local gamestore. It didn't look appealing on the cover, I thought maybe it was going for that same simplistic-art style that Madworld had.

The swordplay looks cool enough, though I've seen/read that it doesn't exactly correspond to the way you're holding the Wiimote (despite it requiring the "advanced" Wii MotionPlus.) Maybe Red Faction 3 will have the 1:1 Wiimote-to-swordplay movement recognition that we've all assumed would come with Big N's wiggle-stick controllers.
It doesn't because the gameplay would become a mess. Blocking is 1:1...

At least, that's the excuse the devs came up with.

I think what they said is that if it were 1:1 control, everyone would suck too much. :D

Seriously though, I've spent some time doing martial arts that have sword forms, and it's harder than it looks.

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
Love the Hellsing, Calvin and Hobbs as well as the Princess Bride references. It's nice to see that Yahtzee recovered from his sore throat and delievered a pretty damn good, if rather unexpected, review (I never thought he'd do Red Steel 2 of all things). This really leaves the door open as to what he'll review next week and I can't wait to see it.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
cool but i'm hoping you have a chance to review just cause 2

while i know you'll criticize the shitte story and somewhat frustrating gun controls, i have you will like the feeling of defying gravity and basic physics by hookshotting a 747 while on a fighter jet only to parachute out on to a missile to install a bomb and jump off again to watch it explode

Gaming King

Apr 9, 2010
DrEmo said:
When will the Wii just give up and start pumping out mindless mini game compilations like it's supposed to. Those are the best sellers on the system along with Mario. This gives you and idea of what kind of people own Wiis.
I like that you respect the fact that Nintendo can move product and make money, but it's not good business to totally neglect players of good games. The reason the Wii is successful is that, yes, it can crank out stuff for the masses, but also, it cranks out enough (JUST enough) for the hardcore players, too. It's probably about a 50/50 balance. Nobody ought to complain about good business models. The business model is so good that Sony and Micro$oft have--very unsuccessfully--tried to mimic it.

Now, may I direct you to Tatsunoko vs. Capcom?

Midnight Voyager

Jan 7, 2008
Yahtzee, while the Hellsing riff was lovely, it's a Western! Shoulda gone for Vash the Stampede.

Though the hat... probably made it a tough call, yes.

Baron_BJ

Tired. Cold. Bored.
Nov 13, 2009
I haven't bothered to dust off my Wii for a fair while considering how bad most games are in regards to actual gameplay control, but with what can reasonably be considered a positive ZP review of the controls then it can't really be too bad, this kind of action is after all, the reason I purchased the system in the first place. Lack of physical interaction will still make this a bit shitty.

I haven't seen this release in stores here in QLD, despite Yahtzee already having his hands on a copy. It may merely be sold out.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
I fear putting anything in here, for Yhatzee will likely ridicule it, or I will appear a fanboy, or both

I will instead nod approvingly

(Assume I just nodded)

Gaming King

Apr 9, 2010
CrystalShadow said:
TraumaHound said:

I think what they said is that if it were 1:1 control, everyone would suck too much. :D

Seriously though, I've spent some time doing martial arts that have sword forms, and it's harder than it looks.
Yeah, Japanese swords are a pain.

Baron_BJ said:
I haven't bothered to dust off my Wii for a fair while considering how bad most games are in regards to actual gameplay control, but with what can reasonably be considered a positive ZP review of the controls then it can't really be too bad, this kind of action is after all, the reason I purchased the system in the first place. Lack of physical interaction will still make this a bit shitty.

I haven't seen this release in stores here in QLD, despite Yahtzee already having his hands on a copy. It may merely be sold out.

TATSUNOKO VS. CAPCOM. And in a couple months, Metroid: Other M.

_Russell_

Jan 5, 2009
Love the Princess Bride reference in the end credits. :D

The Wii was fun for the first few hours and handy at a couple of parties but I regret buying it.
The only game I?ve ever truly enjoyed on it was Resident Evil 4, and that was a GameCube remake.

Popeye said ?I am what I am?, Nintendo should keep this in mind for the Wii, it?ll never be anything other than a casual gaming platform so it shouldn?t try to be anything else.

Trying to market it has hardcore is like hiring a Sumo wrestler as a weight-watcher spokesman.

J-Alfred

Jul 28, 2009
hawk533 said:
I'm sorry but the princess bride comment at the end almost makes me want to buy the game just to feel like Inigo Montoya.
And then I would play the whole game left handed because I don't want it to be over too quickly.
This I like. This I like alot.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Cool review.
I was thinking of maybe getting this, but now I've decided against it. I guess Muramasa will continue to be the only Wii game I actually own, unless I ever get around to modding it to play Super Robot Wars Neo.

effilctar

Jul 24, 2009
Thunderhorse31 said:
Your avatar is amazing!

OT: You know, I don't pay much attention to the Wii and don't even acknowledge any games for it other than the fun little sports games you can play with the relatives at Christmas, the Xbox is for real games, but this game sounds okay.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
yellowhead said:
You say that the difficulty when you unlock 'The Tiger' is a big flaw. But maybe that was part of the point. I think the game is meant to make you feel like an unstoppable warrior of death by the end, a bit like Kill-Bill.
I think difficulty curves that don't plateau are more amusing and one is supposed to begin feeling like an unstoppable killing machine because they are GOOD at the game rather than they've put enough hours in and "earned" an unbreakable guard that needs one motion to work.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
AceInTheHole16 said:
WTF's Reboot?
You poor sad sad human being, Reboot was a kids show (one of the best and the first computer generated show ever) in Canada (no idea how Yatzhee knows about it) I recommend it also nice Reboot reference and he owned the Wii

DrEmo

May 4, 2009
Gaming King said:
DrEmo said:
I like that you respect the fact that Nintendo can move product and make money, but it's not good business to totally neglect players of good games. The reason the Wii is successful is that, yes, it can crank out stuff for the masses, but also, it cranks out enough (JUST enough) for the hardcore players, too. It's probably about a 50/50 balance. Nobody ought to complain about good business models. The business model is so good that Sony and Micro$oft have--very unsuccessfully--tried to mimic it.

Now, may I direct you to Tatsunoko vs. Capcom?
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom is a good game. I just hope they do like they did with Viewtiful Joe and port it.

OT: Great review. The joke about jacking off wind turbines was very original and unexpected.

happy_turtle

Apr 11, 2010
I played red steel 1 on a friends wii, and it was god awful, especially the split screen multiplayer with dumb downed graphics.

It's a pity that this one isn't any where near what they were promising regarding improvements. Good episode with cool reboot reference.

Diegolomac

Jan 28, 2009
I actually think that the Wii motion sensor is also useful for shooting games, if it works properly, like the arcade railway shooters, only you actually can control where you walk to.

Dok Zombie

Apr 24, 2008
Quiet Stranger said:
AceInTheHole16 said:
WTF's Reboot?
You poor sad sad human being, Reboot was a kids show (one of the best and the first computer generated show ever) in Canada (no idea how Yatzhee knows about it) I recommend it also nice Reboot reference and he owned the Wii
It was syndicated in the UK for CITV. That's how I know about it and Yahtzee is only slightly older than me, so that's probably how.

Gaming King

Apr 9, 2010
_Russell_ said:
Love the Princess Bridge reference in the end credits. :D

The Wii was fun for the first few hours and handy at a couple of parties but I regret buying it.
The only game I?ve ever truly enjoyed on it was Resident Evil 4, and that was a GameCube remake.

Popeye said ?I am what I am?, Nintendo should keep this in mind for the Wii, it?ll never be anything other than a casual gaming platform so it shouldn?t try to be anything else.

Trying to market it has hardcore is like hiring a Sumo wrestler as a weight-watcher spokesman.
You're dead wrong. You've obviously NEVER played any of the GOOD games on the Wii. There's plenty out there. One releases about every three or four months on average. And yeah, that's enough.

Also, what the hell is a Princess Bridge? You're obviously loony.

effilctar said:
Thunderhorse31 said:
Your avatar is amazing!

OT: You know, I don't pay much attention to the Wii and don't even acknowledge any games for it other than the fun little sports games you can play with the relatives at Christmas, the Xbox is for real games, but this game sounds okay.
HA!! Some day, I'll compile a list of all the amazing games for the Wii. In fact, maybe that day will be Saturday.

Quiet Stranger said:
AceInTheHole16 said:
WTF's Reboot?
It was also in America, on Toonami, which Cartoon Network axed in recent years. Shortly thereafter, they gave up Naruto to Disney XD, which is completely sick. They also barely have any good animoo left.

Abengoshis

Aug 12, 2009
Loved the video and completely agree. I do find Red Steel 2 to be the most fun I've had on my Wii for a long time.

EddySpaghetti

Feb 13, 2010
MaxChaos said:
pedroREE said:

Sooo some ppl know the exact moment of upload woow...get a fkin life....
P.S. what time is it?...xD

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
Wow, could this be the first step in Wii technology? As you said, it's only been 3 years >.<

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
A Reboot reference, an Alucard rip-off, cats with assault rifles...

Let it not be said that ZP doesn't have something for everybody.

Baron_BJ

Tired. Cold. Bored.
Nov 13, 2009
Gaming King said:
Baron_BJ said:

I've never heard of "TATSUNOKO VS. CAPCOM", in fact, I've never even heard of TATSUNOKO at all, quite frankly it doesn't sound like anything impressive, merely another game, most like set on either a 2.5D land frame or a very small arena like area each based on one of the characters who can be played as, each arena having very limited interactivity. The story would probably be extremely loose considering the game will be almost certainly combat only.

"Metroid: Other M", I've been very much looking forward to, however the title is still the very worst I've ever seen. Hopefully it won't be using the motion sensor, I hope to play the game using the "classic controller". The classic controller allows the Wii to perform like a proper console, it's the main reason I haven't sold my Wii, though it does limit my possible game choices.

SIDE NOTE: Posters, don't just type in a single sentence stating what happened in the video. This is a thread about the video. That means that the posts therein are meant to be part of a DISCUSSION about the video, it's not so that a person, for whatever reason can somehow feel gratified that they posted in one of the earlier section of a ZP thread. In laments terms; Post something constructive or that might be a basis of/continuation of a discussion or get out and stop wasting space that could be used by someone who wishes to post intelligently.

A1

Jul 9, 2009
Gammaj4 said:
The Rockerfly said:
Huh I thought it was going to be awesome, oh well I don't have a Wii but it was still amusing to watch
Actually, it is quite good. Yahtzee tends to exaggerate, and this is no exception.
Unless you spend all your time traipsing about breaking stuff for cash, you're not going to be able to buy all the special moves, weapon upgrades, armor upgrades, ect. faster than your enemies scale.

And while you CAN use the Tiger to kill every enemy with ease, chances are, you won't. The actual combat is too much fun.

I hope you're referring to the game itself and not Yahtzee's review. It would seem that according to Yahtzee the combat is decent but nothing else is.

Stickfigure

Oct 31, 2007
I always thought the Wii would lend itself well to the RTS genre(not that that would improve Yahtzee's opinion of it). While the mouse and keyboard setup continues to be the most effective way to play these games, the inability to point and click has always been the major shortcoming of the console-based RTS, and a wiimote could fill that vacuum quite effectively.

Gaming King

Apr 9, 2010
Baron_BJ said:
Gaming King said:
Baron_BJ said:

I've never heard of "TATSUNOKO VS. CAPCOM", in fact, I've never even heard of TATSUNOKO at all, quite frankly it doesn't sound like anything impressive, merely another game, most like set on either a 2.5D land frame or a very small arena like area each based on one of the characters who can be played as, each arena having very limited interactivity. The story would probably be extremely loose considering the game will be almost certainly combat only.

"Metroid: Other M", I've been very much looking forward to, however the title is still the very worst I've ever seen. Hopefully it won't be using the motion sensor, I hope to play the game using the "classic controller". The classic controller allows the Wii to perform like a proper console, it's the main reason I haven't sold my Wii, though it does limit my possible game choices.

SIDE NOTE: Posters, don't just type in a single sentence stating what happened in the video. This is a thread about the video. That means that the posts therein are meant to be part of a DISCUSSION about the video, it's not so that a person, for whatever reason can somehow feel gratified that they posted in one of the earlier section of a ZP thread. In laments terms; Post something constructive or that might be a basis of/continuation of a discussion or get out and stop wasting space that could be used by someone who wishes to post intelligently.

Glad you're looking at Other M. I personally think that's a badass-sounding title and can't wait to find out the meaning. It controls NES-style, with few buttons, and a + Control Pad. No motion as far as anyone knows. But Metroid has done motion controls right in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption and Metroid Prime Trilogy. Get Metroid Prime Trilogy if you like first person games AT ALL.

If you haven't heard of Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, you don't play fighting games and you're REALLY missing out.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Haha, brilliant one this week though it seems you quite enjoyed this one, aside from the seemingly easy difficulty curve.

DrDeath3191

Mar 11, 2009
Eh. I found the episode mediocre in quality. As a whole I think Yahtzee has been on the descent in quality, but I'm sure that's just me.

On topic, I love Red Steel 2. The motion controls add an energy that really can't be replicated in any other game right now.

_Russell_

Jan 5, 2009
Gaming King said:
You're dead wrong. You've obviously NEVER played any of the GOOD games on the Wii. There's plenty out there. One releases about every three or four months on average.
Hey I'm opened minded, care to list any of them?

Gaming King said:
Also, what the hell is a Princess Bridge? You're obviously loony.
Ah, so the madness finally sets in.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
i laughed at the part where he said that after a fight since he was holding the sword vertically the characther looks up the sky like in retrospective

Decabo

Dec 16, 2009
Excellent review, I'm looking forward to No More Heroes 2 review, if you do one.

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
CrystalShadow said:

I don't doubt for a moment that any martial art is difficult (they don't look easy at all, either.) I just figured that by now, with millions of wannabe-Jedi and/or fanboi-samurai out there there'd be a game that gave them what they want: realistic swordplay without the nicks and bruises unchecked cosplay-swordfighting can bring.

I bet the first-aid stations at anime conventions go through a lot of Band-Aids, Bactine, and boo-boo kissing.

I guess there're still boffers [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foam_weapon] for the physically motivated.

Warstratigier

Mar 28, 2009
Hrm what sort of hardcore can be used for the wii controller huh....whelp seems the thing is that question could remain unanswered because hardcore isn't really a part of Nintendo's stance.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
You asked at the end, what sort of scenario would the Motion plus really work for.

What about a Castlevania game? The motion control would work well as the series' canonical whip.

Sosa Star

Nov 23, 2009
I loved how he ragged on Nintendo for taking three years to make the Wii do what people have been expecting it to do from the release.

It actually seems like he enjoyed this game though, that kinda surprised me. But I'm happy he found some enjoyment, cause the poor guy really needs something. (Like a GF, seriously what is with all the wanking refs these days)

Also, I too hope to see him review Silent Hill: Shattered Memories as well

A1

Jul 9, 2009
Stickfigure said:
I always thought the Wii would lend itself well to the RTS genre(not that that would improve Yahtzee's opinion of it). While the mouse and keyboard setup continues to be the most effective way to play these games, the inability to point and click has always been the major shortcoming of the console-based RTS, and a wiimote could fill that vacuum quite effectively.

I think you have a really good point there. I agree that the lack of mouse control puts console RTS games at a big disadvantage. But what hadn't occurred to me before is that the Wiimote would theoretically make a good substitute.

However, I'm still highly skeptical of the idea of RTS games being successful on the Wii because they generally seem to be in contrast with the kind of games that have made the Wii popular like Wii Sports for example.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Teeheehee. This is the first one that made me laugh in a couple of weeks, as opposed to merely eliciting a snicker. Loved the gag at the end.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Here I was hoping "Red Steel 2" was one of those mechy games. Chrome Hounds turned out rather well, and the next Mechwarrior is just being a tease [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orhOvbfyyJw].

Anywho, Red Steel 2 sounds like an interesting game nonetheless that I should check out just to see how well it performs.

angel85

Dec 31, 2008
I always though that the wii motion plus would do nothing more than make games much more tiring to play. The only sword swinging game I have is Sonic and the Black Knight, and that one works by simple flicks of the wrist. I must say I'm pleased that the device works, but since the only thing you'd need it for is swinging a baseball bat, tennis racket, golf club, or sword I can't imagine it being used for many types of games.

J-Dude

Dec 16, 2009
Yahtzee, you're a great reviewer, and God, I love ya', but I really hope your constant disappointment with anything made by Nintendo is more about your intent to come off as a people-hater than to genuinely be dissuading people from looking into it.

I agree as much as you will that motion control is just a long-term experiment, much like 3D movies. The only reason it's got such a free ride is because it's different. It's a gimmick if there ever was one. But even if I personally don't like using it and will prefer plugging in the Gamecube controller whenever I (rarely) play a Wii game, I understand the necessity of it all.

Look, the Wii is definitely designed around the casual gamer, and for many but the most devoted of Nintendo fans, a lot of it won't seem made for them. A lot of it will seem really easy, almost insultingly so, but I think that's the truth of it all. A LOT of the Wii ISN'T for those of us seeking greater and greater challenges, not to say the first-party Mario titles ever disappoint even now. Nintendo realized there was a vacuum in the market for games and consoles priced and intended for gamers who were never gamers before. They realized that just as they had raised our generation of now-hardcores' back in the NES/SNES/64 days, so too did the newest generation need the same thing. Except nobody else in the gaming industry was prepared to do that.

Back in the golden age, we had Atari, Sega and Nintendo, all GAMING companies. Since then, the two new big guys have stepped in and made a name for themselves, and as a whole Playstation and XBox are distributing gaming to the masses adequately. But the problem is, Sony and Microsoft aren't GAMING companies, they're massive multinational corporate empires, and they're less concerned with the ultimate fate of the gaming industry than they are about appealing to what people seem to want here and now.

Back in the 80's, comic books went to a point when the geekier aspect made for kids was almost chucked entirely out the window when the "Grim and Gritty" fad took over, with comics like Watchemen and Spawn forming bandwagons that everyone else jumped on, since all the older hardcore comic book fans thought it was so badass. But then, early 90's, those fans grew up and stopped buying comics out of necessity, and there were no young comic book reading kids to spur on a new generation. No Mom wanted to buy their kid "Spawn", are you kidding? And so the market imploded, and to this day you can't get kids to buy comic books, not unless they actually happen to be Japanese manga.

This can happen to gaming, and it looks all too likely that it will. Nintendo has played their cards smart, they know they need to attract and makes games for new gamers. The WiiMote and all it's motion-sensor garbage was probably a fluke, but Nintendo is going to use it, because everyone wants it. They've got themselves a mascot, a timeless symbol of gaming named Mario for the new gamers to rally behind, whereas Playstation has "BluRay Logo Man", and XBox has Master Chief, a faceless lump of emotionless armor. Casual gaming is getting parents and grandparents little kids to join the cause. And if it keeps up, gaming may stop being such an insider thing and enter the mass media, securing itself as part of our culture, the same way that comics, film and television did in their day, when THEY were the new kids on the block.

And it's working, the Wii may make a lot of shovel-ware needlessly, but it's conquering sales, and Nintendo is unthinkably on top as if the world had rewound back to the good old days. Nintendo is a gaming company, and they're willing to step back and be the elementary teachers of the new generation instead of running with their graduates, willing to immortalize gaming and do what's necessary to strengthen its weak points and its place in the world. Playstation and XBox are doing their thing just fine, but what casual game exists for the Playstation? Ratchet and Clank? That's about it. But without all those new gamers, the market will implode. And the second it does, Sony and XBox can and WILL opt out. No more Playstation, no more XBox, and they'd take a ton of 3rd party devs with them, since Nintendo will still be going, but will see no reason to keep the 3rd parties on life support. Goodbye Konami, goodbye Capcom.

Yahtzee, I understand. I know you WANT to root for Nintendo as much as anyone, but you see so little for you that you can't see how you can do that. You loved No More Heroes, so I know you're not indiscriminate, but rather than insist that however little you like it, the Wii is designed around casual and beginner gamers, you merely call the console worthless as a whole, and since so many people listen to your opinions Yahtzee, that's done far more harm than good, it's helped widen an unhealthy rift between the casual gamers and the hardcores. I'm sure that's not your intention, but the fact remains, we as gamers, hardcore or casual, need to stand as a whole for the love of our medium, to beat down the unfair negative stigmas gaming has garnered, especially to fight off the bullshit violence debate. The casual gamers are non-gamers giving gaming a go. How much more solid ground will we have if our Moms and Grandmoms become gamers in the slightest sense, no longer seeing the console as this untrustworthy bad-habit machine. We need this to get bigger, we need them on our side.

Nintendo understood this. The Wii doesn't have everything for everyone, but it just about has everything for someone, and those someone's are the casual gamers. They are necessary, and I applaud Nintendo for being the only ones to really see it, even if it means less content an experienced gamer like myself is likely to enjoy.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
That last line made my day. Well played.

Is there going to be a Just Cause 2 review ever? Just curious.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
It's like winning a contest at jerking off to your sister in the shower.....

This is quite possibly the most poetic and incredibly good literary comparison I have ever read. From now on I am going to end everything I say with the words "it's like."

It's like I've been inspired or something.

DoanDavid

Flat lurker
Oct 28, 2009
Good review.

Planing on buying the game soon along with Monster Hunter Tri.
He should review that one.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
You know what's funny? Waaaay back in the early days he actually liked the Wii. His raging on it constantly is like a husband constantly bitter at his wife for the years he wasted on her...

Anyways, getting really tired of the constant dick jokes but other than that his reviews are heading uphill again.

yellowhead

Nov 18, 2009
Plurralbles said:
yellowhead said:
I think difficulty curves that don't plateau are more amusing and one is supposed to begin feeling like an unstoppable killing machine because they are GOOD at the game rather than they've put enough hours in and "earned" an unbreakable guard that needs one motion to work.
I figured that being an effortless unstoppable badass might add to that feeling. Like being so cool that nothing impresses you.

De Ronneman

Dec 30, 2009
I lolled so many times it's not even funny anymore.

Let's do a rundown:
+1 for the Arucard reference, I wasn't the only thinking of that apperently,
+1 for each "wank" joke
+1 for the Wii bashing
+100001010119 for the cat with the assault rifle

I almost pissed my pants at that one:)

Ariosona

Jul 16, 2009
1:20 "Are you that vampire guy"

Is that by chance a reference to Black Blood Brothers?
Just thought it might be cause of the HORRENDOUS amounts of red on one character.

OT: That was actually a good review, much better than most of the recent ZP babble.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Where does one go to study the "Startled Gazelle?"

Another review I watched solely for entertainment purposes. I "loaned" my Wii to my mother, who as an old lady with no gaming skills will find it far more fun than me, so no Wii exclusive is really going to attract me much.

Still, funny review. And begs the question of what else WMP is useful for.

Cheesebob

Oct 31, 2008
Lowering the quality sound for us poor people who can't afford to become a 'publisher', ay The Escapist?

DamianWorld

Jan 13, 2010
J-Dude said:
Yahtzee, you're a great reviewer, and God, I love ya', but I really hope your constant disappointment with anything made by Nintendo is more about your intent to come off as a people-hater than to genuinely be dissuading people from looking into it.

I agree as much as you will that motion control is just a long-term experiment, much like 3D movies. The only reason it's got such a free ride is because it's different. It's a gimmick if there ever was one. But even if I personally don't like using it and will prefer plugging in the Gamecube controller whenever I (rarely) play a Wii game, I understand the necessity of it all.

Look, the Wii is definitely designed around the casual gamer, and for many but the most devoted of Nintendo fans, a lot of it won't seem made for them. A lot of it will seem really easy, almost insultingly so, but I think that's the truth of it all. A LOT of the Wii ISN'T for those of us seeking greater and greater challenges, not to say the first-party Mario titles ever disappoint even now. Nintendo realized there was a vacuum in the market for games and consoles priced and intended for gamers who were never gamers before. They realized that just as they had raised our generation of now-hardcores' back in the NES/SNES/64 days, so too did the newest generation need the same thing. Except nobody else in the gaming industry was prepared to do that.

Back in the golden age, we had Atari, Sega and Nintendo, all GAMING companies. Since then, the two new big guys have stepped in and made a name for themselves, and as a whole Playstation and XBox are distributing gaming to the masses adequately. But the problem is, Sony and Microsoft aren't GAMING companies, they're massive multinational corporate empires, and they're less concerned with the ultimate fate of the gaming industry than they are about appealing to what people seem to want here and now.

Back in the 80's, comic books went to a point when the geekier aspect made for kids was almost chucked entirely out the window when the "Grim and Gritty" fad took over, with comics like Watchemen and Spawn forming bandwagons that everyone else jumped on, since all the older hardcore comic book fans thought it was so badass. But then, early 90's, those fans grew up and stopped buying comics out of necessity, and there were no young comic book reading kids to spur on a new generation. No Mom wanted to buy their kid "Spawn", are you kidding? And so the market imploded, and to this day you can't get kids to buy comic books, not unless they actually happen to be Japanese manga.

This can happen to gaming, and it looks all too likely that it will. Nintendo has played their cards smart, they know they need to attract and makes games for new gamers. The WiiMote and all it's motion-sensor garbage was probably a fluke, but Nintendo is going to use it, because everyone wants it. They've got themselves a mascot, a timeless symbol of gaming named Mario for the new gamers to rally behind, whereas Playstation has "BluRay Logo Man", and XBox has Master Chief, a faceless lump of emotionless armor. Casual gaming is getting parents and grandparents little kids to join the cause. And if it keeps up, gaming may stop being such an insider thing and enter the mass media, securing itself as part of our culture, the same way that comics, film and television did in their day, when THEY were the new kids on the block.

And it's working, the Wii may make a lot of shovel-ware needlessly, but it's conquering sales, and Nintendo is unthinkably on top as if the world had rewound back to the good old days. Nintendo is a gaming company, and they're willing to step back and be the elementary teachers of the new generation instead of running with their graduates, willing to immortalize gaming and do what's necessary to strengthen its weak points and its place in the world. Playstation and XBox are doing their thing just fine, but what casual game exists for the Playstation? Ratchet and Clank? That's about it. But without all those new gamers, the market will implode. And the second it does, Sony and XBox can and WILL opt out. No more Playstation, no more XBox, and they'd take a ton of 3rd party devs with them, since Nintendo will still be going, but will see no reason to keep the 3rd parties on life support. Goodbye Konami, goodbye Capcom.

Yahtzee, I understand. I know you WANT to root for Nintendo as much as anyone, but you see so little for you that you can't see how you can do that. You loved No More Heroes, so I know you're not indiscriminate, but rather than insist that however little you like it, the Wii is designed around casual and beginner gamers, you merely call the console worthless as a whole, and since so many people listen to your opinions Yahtzee, that's done far more harm than good, it's helped widen an unhealthy rift between the casual gamers and the hardcores. I'm sure that's not your intention, but the fact remains, we as gamers, hardcore or casual, need to stand as a whole for the love of our medium, to beat down the unfair negative stigmas gaming has garnered, especially to fight off the bullshit violence debate. The casual gamers are non-gamers giving gaming a go. How much more solid ground will we have if our Moms and Grandmoms become gamers in the slightest sense, no longer seeing the console as this untrustworthy bad-habit machine. We need this to get bigger, we need them on our side.

Nintendo understood this. The Wii doesn't have everything for everyone, but it just about has everything for someone, and those someone's are the casual gamers. They are necessary, and I applaud Nintendo for being the only ones to really see it, even if it means less content an experienced gamer like myself is likely to enjoy.
No-one cares

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Well spoken J-Dude ... although I dispute the terminology 'Hardcore/Softcore' ... games are games.

Dr. Mario for example. Strategic, Tetris-like puzzle game of fiendish difficulty sometimes. Always asomething new in that game ... different clusters of bugs, to different levesl of gameplay. Loads of replayability.

Is a 'Hardcore' title really that 'hardcore' if all it does is have guns and deathmatch?

I position the question, with ninty's upcoming wii exclusive, Monster Hunter Tri .... all the monster hunters have 100's hours of replayability ...(no, really, Hard to believe but true) ... the game doesn't 'end'

There's no story to end it ...

The monsters can be fiendish in their difficulty and every foil to the big bad monsters rely on a triple threat of skill, game knowledge, and equipment/item loadout from the player...

Compared to Splinter Cell, or MW 2 ... 5 hours a piece of single player campaign, a little co-op/online functionality (albeit MW2 online functionality can kiss the original's ass, because it is SO much better).

What's more 'Hardcore'?

Keep in mind MH3 will have both Split Screen co-op and online functionality (for 4 player parties).

I have all 3 consoles, and a good gaming rig ... and I haven't touch my PS3 or my Xbox in ages... for me personally Wiimote + Keyboard and mouse = definitive gameplay experience and are the true 'hardcore' experiences.

For starters .... PS3 and Xbox look like garbage nowadays. PC is where it's at graphics wise, and the gameplay is better as well(mostly). So I usually stick to my PC and my wii (because the shooters feel different than a Keyboard and mouse, and feel much better and solid in comparison to dual analog stick controller).

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Cheesebob said:
Lowering the quality sound for us poor people who can't afford to become a 'publisher', ay The Escapist?
Sounds fine to me. Doesn't sound any worse than the previous ZP's in standard and the high quality version is only slightly more crisp. The visual's a more drastic step up than the audio, really.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I would like to point out that there is a VERY competative international league of jerking off to your sister in the shower although i must admit the best local leagues reside in the deep shouth.

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
The best was saved for last. It has been a long time since I was last caught off-guard and LOLed spontaneously, a great "out of thin air" moment which is definitely appreciated.

And that's why I tune in every week.

StarofAzura

Lady Nerevarine
Mar 22, 2010
Whoops, forgot to hit "quote".

Yeah, this does not convince me I want a Wii. Entertaining review, though, and it's good to hear Yahtzee's voice recovering.

To the person who was wondering about Reboot:

...wow you make me feel old.

Reboot is a cartoon from the 90s that was about people who lived in computers and had to defeat "games" in order to surivive. It was pretty freakin awesome, NGL.

J-Dude

Dec 16, 2009
PaulH said:
Well spoken J-Dude ... although I dispute the terminology 'Hardcore/Softcore' ... games are games.

Dr. Mario for example. Strategic, Tetris-like puzzle game of fiendish difficulty sometimes. Always asomething new in that game ... different clusters of bugs, to different levesl of gameplay. Loads of replayability.

Is a 'Hardcore' title really that 'hardcore' if all it does is have guns and deathmatch?

I position the question, with ninty's upcoming wii exclusive, Monster Hunter Tri .... all the monster hunters have 100's hours of replayability ...(no, really, Hard to believe but true) ... the game doesn't 'end'

There's no story to end it ...

The monsters can be fiendish in their difficulty and every foil to the big bad monsters rely on a triple threat of skill, game knowledge, and equipment/item loadout from the player...

Compared to Splinter Cell, or MW 2 ... 5 hours a piece of single player campaign, a little co-op/online functionality (albeit MW2 online functionality can kiss the original's ass, because it is SO much better).

What's more 'Hardcore'?

Keep in mind MH3 will have both Split Screen co-op and online functionality (for 4 player parties).

I have all 3 consoles, and a good gaming rig ... and I haven't touch my PS3 or my Xbox in ages... for me personally Wiimote + Keyboard and mouse = definitive gameplay experience and are the true 'hardcore' experiences.
I personally define "hardcore" and "casual" in terms of innate difficulty. Subject matter is irrelevant, but it must be admitted that most games you'd find outside the Wii will likely tell the player once how to perform a certain action and then fling them into the game. Lets face it, when I refer to a "casual" gamer, I'm not so much referring to the people who play games but only ever now and then, as I am to the people who can count on one hand how many times they've held a controller. Ever watch your parents struggle to grasp what are in your opinion, very BASIC controls and are ultimately defeated by the game's equivalent of a Goomba? This is what I'd consider a casual gamer. We "hardcores" are the ones who have mastered the basics better than we realize and are adapted to guiding a game avatar through a game world so well that we can pick up and play just about every game and have SOME idea of what to do.

I know, that probably will get the people who play every game on hard and do things like enter options for "no vita chambers" in Bioshock a bit upset, but the truth is most games are gamers games, expecting, nay, demanding that after a short demonstration you're prepared to do it for real, whereas a new gamer will panic and go, "No, wait, what was that button again? Press X to not what?? What's X? Oh God, what is that! ARGH!!!"

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Hehe...Alucard! Yay!

Nice review, made me chuckle expecilly near the end with the whole odd, nearly trance like state you wre playing in =P

Iklwa

Jan 27, 2010
God, and I thought ReBoot had been completely forgotten ^^

And for the record, I'm sure it's very nice, but I'll admit that the Wii is a serious gaming system before I pay ten bucks to watch hi-res vids.

xHipaboo420x

Apr 22, 2009
EddySpaghetti said:
uhh i'm in Milano (Italy) what time wod that be here??? (excuse my super dumbness)
It would be 1800 (6 o' clock) your time, I believe! And you're not being dumb: the only way to get answers is to ask questions! :)

Toar

Nov 13, 2009
AceInTheHole16 said:
WTF's Reboot?
Oh my God... shut up. Just shut up. I might bring brimsonte down upon your head if you say anything else.

ReBoot was the FIRST fully virtual animated television show brought to us by Mainframe Entertainment. It was a comuter themed show with various jokes and a darkening story as the audience grew older. The show was frowm the same animators as Beast Wars, Beast Machines, Heavy Gear, and lately the Fairy Scare mother and Tony Hawk crap that has been playing on Cartoon Network.

warps

Jun 10, 2009
Another entertaining review. I played and enjoyed the first "No More Heroes" and quite liked the controls, however inaccurate they were. I wonder how much of an improvement the Motion Plus really is over that.

8bitlove2a03

Mar 25, 2010
I would totally play a game where you're an air traffic controller at the Hindenburg disaster.

EddySpaghetti

Feb 13, 2010
MaxChaos said:
EddySpaghetti said:
uhh i'm in Milano (Italy) what time wod that be here??? (excuse my super dumbness)
It would be 1800 (6 o' clock) your time, I believe! And you're not being dumb: the only way to get answers is to ask questions! :)
Hehehehe cool thank you dude...uhh do u perhaps use a ps3? online that is...

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
The Hobbes part was cool, I actually am dating the daughter of Bill Watterson's friend, they both went to high school in Chagrin Falls together, and are good friends ^^ I'm that cool

I've asked before, but I'm going to keep trying, especially since we all know your hatred for the Wii, since the Wii is not your fav. system, which do you prefer to play on, X360 or PS3? Or do you really not care either way?

trent08

Jan 13, 2010
I had the first one it wasn't that good, but im thinking of getting this one now. The only problem is i don't have wii motion plus

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
How boring. I know it's hard to rip apart such a fun game, but Zero Punctuation is a lot more fun when Yahtzee bashes games without mercy.

Comte de Frou Frou

Apr 9, 2010
"looking like an episode of Reeboot" I used to love that program :) It was animated by the same dudes who did the Money For Nothing video for the Dire Straights. ;)

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
J-Dude said:
I personally define "hardcore" and "casual" in terms of innate difficulty. Subject matter is irrelevant, but it must be admitted that most games you'd find outside the Wii will likely tell the player once how to perform a certain action and then fling them into the game. Lets face it, when I refer to a "casual" gamer, I'm not so much referring to the people who play games but only ever now and then, as I am to the people who can count on one hand how many times they've held a controller. Ever watch your parents struggle to grasp what are in your opinion, very BASIC controls and are ultimately defeated by the game's equivalent of a Goomba? This is what I'd consider a casual gamer. We "hardcores" are the ones who have mastered the basics better than we realize and are adapted to guiding a game avatar through a game world so well that we can pick up and play just about every game and have SOME idea of what to do.

I know, that probably will get the people who play every game on hard and do things like enter options for "no vita chambers" in Bioshock a bit upset, but the truth is most games are gamers games, expecting, nay, demanding that after a short demonstration you're prepared to do it for real, whereas a new gamer will panic and go, "No, wait, what was that button again? Press X to not what?? What's X? Oh God, what is that! ARGH!!!"
Not really, pretty much out of home by age 10 :p

But in relation to your topic, i'm drawing on your inference that a hardcore game needn't explain to you gameplay specifics BECAUSE it assumes that you've played something much likte it in the past?

So a 'Canon' shooter being presented to a 'standard hardcore gamer' needn't explain to you in game, that right trigger shoots, left trigger - grenades, etc etc?

But surely this shouldn't be the goal of games.

If 'hardcore gamers' were truly worried about the concept of games becoming too 'samey' then anything that attempts to create something that postmodernity-style 'jams' you from immersion to make you recognise that you're playing something unlike anything else should automatically be WELCOMED by gamers? :]

In the truest sense, a truly 'hardcore gamer' must accept that the value of a game comes from learning how to best it by utilising aspects of it that are traditionally not aspects of what is the 'norm' for that genre, not about using what's familiar in genres in the most familiarised way.

Because as most gamers would tout, 'familiarity breeds contempt', originality in new IPs are necessary.

As having played this game, I can certainly say that this is the case with Red Steel 2... it delivers a new experience, with grand precision, and exceptional drive.

As such is also the case with Wii's premiere shooter Metroid Prime 3 .... the third person action/adventure/(very slight)rpg Fragile: Sayonara Tsuki no haikyou, MoH Heroes 2, Madworld, No More Heroes (1 & 2), upcoming Monster Hunter Tri, list goes on

Like other console shooters, the wii has some awesome games, and even if they are of the same genre, the learning curve in how to use the controls is much higher than shooters on the PS3 and XB360....

Surely if gamers (particularly 'Hardcore' as you define) we're truly welcoming of change, they should snap up the wii because it offers crucially different gaming styles even within the same genre. If only because it gives them the sense that they can truly conquer any game.

In the end, the wii delivers an experience that is critically overlooked on the PS3 and 360 ... and as such it would be foolish to simply tout that console as 'childish' when the Nintendo has , literally, created a 'paradgm shift' in the way we perceive games and gameplay ... Not only that GOOD wii games are EXTREMELY enjoyable ... and simply would not work on any other platform....

Am I the only one to think that this is a GOOD thing, and that originality and new gameplay ideas SHOULD be pursued to their logical limits? I personally do not view the wii in concepts of 'hardcore/casual' ... I view it as concept shattering.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
While I do absolutely love this game, I have to admit this was still pretty funny.

Also, Hobbes cameo for the win. And yes, I do love that move...though really, I'd almost think upgrading the shotgun to automatically break armor is more of a gamebreaker for standard enemies (if not bosses).

hcig

Mar 12, 2009
yea, this would have been funnier and better if it wasnt for the wii trashing, or rather, the WM+ trashing, he is completely dishonest about what the WM+ does, and on top of that, you can remedy the upgrade problem but not boosting your katana's power, i was under the impression that yahtzee wouldnt bother with upgrades, because upgrades in games ALWAYS make you over powered

he also seems to have missed the camp in the writing, i thought if anyone other than jim sterling would appreciate it, it would be yahtzee, but now i can only assume he thinks jason's team is like say...any other ubisoft team.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
hcig said:
yea, this would have been funnier and better if it wasnt for the wii trashing, or rather, the WM+ trashing, he is completely dishonest about what the WM+ does...
I dunno...it seemed more like he was delivering a backhanded compliment than bashing it.

Not so sure about the upgrades, though. Even if you don't upgrade your katana strength, all you need to do is force the enemy into a weak position and finish them (personally, I love the Guillotine->Matador and Matador->Shot combos). The complaint seemed to be that some of the automatically unlocked moves are rather overpowered.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
hahaha this was hilarious from the start, but well especially the end that made me lol

even the comments here are funny xD

drakenabarion

Demiurge
Sep 11, 2009
Yey. Back to a good standard! :D

I love my Wii, but I love hearing Yahtzee tear it to shreds.

Now what the Wii needs is someone to burn all those casual games and start again. Even if there were good games on Wii, at the moment its too embarrassing rummaging through "My favourite pet kitten", "Barbies Magical Adventure" and other such made up titles which wouldn't shock my if the did really exist.

Wii was supposed to be a new and futuristic gaming system, not just another way to play chess.

p.s. Does anyone know if "Sadness" will ever be released? Along with Zelda, it was one of the reasons I bought the Wii on release date but seems to have vanished/been cancelled.

itsmeyouidiot

Dec 22, 2008
Yet another bullshit Wii game review from Yahtzee.

If I need to freking spell it out for you all, I will.

THE WII IS A PERFECTLY GOOD CONSOLE WITH PLENTY OF GOOD GAMES.

All you Yahtzee fanboys who blindly follow his opinions despite the fact that he WANTS people to have their own opinions need to die, preferably in a fire.

I don't really know why I keep commenting on these, Yahtzee is still going to make these unfunny bullshit "reviews" that serve no purpose other than to make me want to punch him in the face over the internet.

Anyway, Red Steel 2 is awesome. Buy it.

hcig

Mar 12, 2009
NeutralDrow said:
While I do absolutely love this game, I have to admit this was still pretty funny.

Also, Hobbes cameo for the win. And yes, I do love that move...though really, I'd almost think upgrading the shotgun to automatically break armor is more of a gamebreaker for standard enemies (if not bosses).
oh wow, somebody else who agrees with me, the tiger (even fully upgraded) isnt as effective as he says it to be, and definately not as useful against bosses as he claims

but the full upgrade + special for the shotgun and sidewinder rifle are much worse, especially since even if an enemy is blocking, the explosive round of the rifle can be shot at the ground by them, and knock them over, then easily pop them again while their down, you can even 1-hit katakara if you get a headshot, though its somewhat remedied with the fact that the rifle rounds are rare, and max capacity is like, what, 20 or so rounds?

Mariakitten

Mar 29, 2010
Great review as always, I liked the "my fighting style is the frightened gazelle" in the credits.

Dec 14, 2009
itsmeyouidiot said:

All you Yahtzee fanboys who blindly follow his opinions despite the fact that he WANTS people to have their own opinions need to die, preferably in a fire.

I don't really know why I keep commenting on these, Yahtzee is still going to make these unfunny bullshit "reviews" that serve no purpose other than to make me want to punch him in the face over the internet.

So agreeing with an opinion makes someone a fanboy? Also, if you don't like the reviews, why watch them and make angry comments telling people to die? Obvious troll is obvious.

hcig

Mar 12, 2009
NeutralDrow said:
hcig said:
yea, this would have been funnier and better if it wasnt for the wii trashing, or rather, the WM+ trashing, he is completely dishonest about what the WM+ does...
I dunno...it seemed more like he was delivering a backhanded compliment than bashing it.

Not so sure about the upgrades, though. Even if you don't upgrade your katana strength, all you need to do is force the enemy into a weak position and finish them (personally, I love the Guillotine->Matador and Matador->Shot combos). The complaint seemed to be that some of the automatically unlocked moves are rather overpowered.
well, maybe, with yahtzee i suppose its hard to tell, at least when it comes to anything wii related (take that backhanded comment at the beginning about the wii being a home for innovation, for example)

well ive been playing though on ninja, with weapons vanilla (except for revolver accuracy, its horribly off shot in the beginning) and pacing my special moves unlocks, and the game is significantly harder (if you input the nihonto hana code, its even harder, because its a wakizashi)

but it also seems to vary by fighting styles, Jason V, the director says he has noticed people have distinct fighting styles, and apparently "the gamer" or, the guy who doesnt give a damn, and rushes in to kill everything, tends to have an easier time with the game, because he is so focused on raging through the whole fight, he seems to almost become bulletproof, hahaha.

im a bit similar to you though, but without the guillotine, i spend alot of time moving from one enemy to another, taking down immediate threats, and chipping away at armor and health as i dash around the room, then once i get an opening, i use the reaper, the matador, or the shot to finish them off.

the reaper and matador are EPIC against shinjiro, and if you use the eagle, you can start a short mid-air battle

Boaal

Dec 30, 2008
Well, while I did get a laugh, and I loved the Hobbes bit, this was ENTIRELY PREDICTABLE.
he is however right - three and half years and the fact that nintendo allowed wii music to exist... shows something of a deficiency in the company.

hcig

Mar 12, 2009
drakenabarion said:

Now what the Wii needs is someone to burn all those casual games and start again. Even if there were good games on Wii, at the moment its too embarrassing rummaging through "My favourite pet kitten", "Barbies Magical Adventure" and other such made up titles which wouldn't shock my if the did really exist.

Wii was supposed to be a new and futuristic gaming system, not just another way to play chess.

p.s. Does anyone know if "Sadness" will ever be released? Along with Zelda, it was one of the reasons I bought the Wii on release date but seems to have vanished/been cancelled.
1.sadness was vaporware, sorry, but shattered memories is similar in concept, and it way friggin awesome (also very graphically appealing)

2.casual games dont need to burn, there are people that enjoy those games, the problem is the STIGMA needs to burn, so developers will put in proper time and money (like with RS2, silent hill, and monster hunter tri) to make a good game, sadly, RS2 isnt doing very well (though it has alot working against it) but silent hill sold well, and in japan, monster hunter tri sold the BEST of all the console MH games (still hard to compete with the psp market thought, as it is a portable version)

3.also, i like chess, but we need advance wars online instead :D

KillerRabbit

Jan 3, 2009
itsmeyouidiot said:

You do realize it is his niche to flame everything, whatever game or console the game is played on? Fail?

hcig

Mar 12, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
itsmeyouidiot said:

So agreeing with an opinion makes someone a fanboy? Also, if you don't like the reviews, why watch them and make angry comments telling people to die? Obvious troll is obvious.
i still watch to be entertained
i have to say, this was way better than what he usually does with wii (this had backhanded compliments instead of straight out hateful insults) but you have to admit, yahtzee has a track record of flat out, sony level lying about the wii, and you know he does it just to spark ire. (trolling)

oh, and buy red steel 2, its awesome, despite what yahtzee says, the combat makes it worth it.

SkullCap

Nov 10, 2009
I have to admit this game looks rather good. Definitely worth a rental to check it out.

I must say this is Yahtzee's first Wii review in several months which made me curious as to why he has not reviewed No More Heroes 2. Regardless of that, this Red Steel 2 review was a nice surprise.

hcig

Mar 12, 2009
SkullCap said:
I have to admit this game looks rather good. Definitely worth a rental to check it out.

I must say this is Yahtzee's first Wii review in several months which made me curious as to why he has not reviewed No More Heroes 2. Regardless of that, this Red Steel 2 review was a nice surprise.
he joked about "too good to rip on" before but im almost certain he cant complain enough to justify it :D

or maybe its because it doesnt release until the end of next month :p

Lucky Grim

Aug 26, 2009
That was probably my favorite ZP yet. I can't say why, or what led me to that conclusion, but I walked away from the Red Steel review in better spirits than I have before when watching his reviews, so grats! Keep up the good work.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
Seeing Hobbes for a split second made me much happier than it probably should have.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
I think it's weird how Yahtzee hasn't commented on getting spoofed in Doraleous and Associates.

Shadow-Fox

Nov 11, 2009
did anyone else notice the awful lot of masturbation jokes? I think Yahtzee is finally paying the price for his attitude towards relationships. ^^

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
DamianWorld said:
J-Dude said:

No-one cares
This is the kind of response you get when someone is ultimately defeated, doesn't like it, and lacks the brain power to come up with something smart.

Very nice speech. It actually has thought put into it, unlike the random Wii-haters in this thread.

OT: Despite problems, RS2 sounds much more playable than the first. Gonna rent it someday...

SkullCap

Nov 10, 2009
hcig said:
SkullCap said:

he joked about "too good to rip on" before but im almost certain he cant complain enough to justify it :D

*laughs quietly to myself*

The Australian release dates do point to the possibility of No More Heroes 2 not being reviewed yet just like Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.

sneeky033

dAT cAPSLOCK
Dec 1, 2009
i had a lot of fun with this game, but i agree with yahtzee in that swordfighting is the only kind of hardcore gameplay that could be enhanced by the motionplus.

best review in a long time

hcig

Mar 12, 2009
SkullCap said:
hcig said:
SkullCap said:

The Australian release dates do point to the possibility of No More Heroes 2 not being reviewed yet just like Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.
*Looks up silent hill release date...*

jesus christ, why do they do that crap to those poor australians? i feel sorry for non north american gamers, they get the shaft big time

drakenabarion

Demiurge
Sep 11, 2009
hcig said:
drakenabarion said:

1.sadness was vaporware, sorry, but shattered memories is similar in concept, and it way friggin awesome (also very graphically appealing)

2.casual games dont need to burn, there are people that enjoy those games, the problem is the STIGMA needs to burn, so developers will put in proper time and money (like with RS2, silent hill, and monster hunter tri) to make a good game, sadly, RS2 isnt doing very well (though it has alot working against it) but silent hill sold well, and in japan, monster hunter tri sold the BEST of all the console MH games (still hard to compete with the psp market thought, as it is a portable version)

Okay you are right, its not the fault of casual games. But the problem when I go into a game store is that I can almost only find casual games on the Wii. Wii ported flash type games don't appeal to me, but I guess its obvious that they are making a lot of money for Nintendo, and Pop Cap games :)

But I hope Red Steel 2 is a step in the right direction. From what I can tell, it is a much more refined gaming experience. And a game doesn't need high definition or 2.9 billion polygons per seconds to be good. But time will tell if anyone else tried to do something new with that platform.

(Oh I like Chess too, and also Go (Japanese board game based on the idea of capturing territory for those who are not familiar) :D )

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
In an effort to make this game hard, I never bought ANY armor or health upgrades and almost NEVER used the Tiger. Result: A hard game... Seriously. Though that's especially true on the hard difficulty setting. I know it sucks, but if you want to keep this game hard, you have to not buy things and choose not to use a special move... Still fun as hell though. Also, don't worry about getting different attacks, those are too cool not to get. Some of them are essential to not dieing every three minutes.

All in all, Yatzee didn't seem to hate this game too much. He said what reviewers say, just with more hyperbole (as usual). That makes me happy as... I liked the game quite a lot.

ParadoxBG

Dec 24, 2009
I love how every time he reviews a Wii title there's a bevvy of masturbation jokes. XD

Lovely review. Kind of makes me wish I had the game. Hacky hacky slashy slashy is rather cathartic.

hcig

Mar 12, 2009
sneeky033 said:
i had a lot of fun with this game, but i agree with yahtzee in that swordfighting is the only kind of hardcore gameplay that could be enhanced by the motionplus.

best review in a long time
whats with this line of thinking?

first off, ANY sports game benefits, and thats an easy example to think of, second, adventure games can benefit from the level of interactivity.

now, what games exist that dont have gameplay based around sports, interaction with environment, or swords? shooters of course

and think about how WM+ can benefit shooters, the whole point behind the iron sight aiming trend was to allow a more fine aiming ability which was unavailable to people playing with game pads, but with the wii, its remedied by the bounding box.

now think about this, if youve got wii motion plus, while playing an fps, you now have control over the entire gun, so if you want to fire from the hip? simply fire from your actual hip, want to fine aim? bring the gun to your shoulder, and you can look right down the sights

with the WM+ you can make melee attacks more aggressive, if you simply snap the remote forward (like we do in most wii games) you would do little to no damage, and would probably just piss someone off, but if you got down and brutally beat the enemy with your wiimote/gun, it would lead to a much more visceral and involving experience .

plus, call of duty knife fighting would be awesome.

F8L Fool

Mar 24, 2010
Thank God, Yahtzee actually did an accurate and extremely funny review of a relevant game. It seems like every time he picks a game that is actually worth reviewing it's half-assed, inaccurate, or not that funny. This definitely wasn't the case.

I think that motion technology will have to be elaborated a great deal, in ways that we haven't even comprehended yet in order to even keep up with traditional mediums. Just because something is capable of being done in a "different" way, doesn't mean that difference is more fun or efficient.

SkullCap

Nov 10, 2009
hcig said:
SkullCap said:
hcig said:
SkullCap said:

*Looks up silent hill release date...*

jesus christ, why do they do that crap to those poor australians? i feel sorry for non north american gamers, they get the shaft big time
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories=April 22, 2010

I haven't the slightest idea. You'd think Australia would get games faster because Australia is much closer to Japan. Oh well...

WastedHero

Jan 14, 2009
I cracked up when he showed a sword made out of Hobbes. That would be a pretty awesome sword.

C_Topher

May 17, 2009
What? You reviewed Red Steel 2 before No More Heroes 2? What the hell, Yahtzee? You actually liked the first No More Heroes, and to the best of my knowledge, No More Heroes 2 has been out longer than Red Steel 2, so what gives?

Captain12345

Apr 6, 2009
Haha, enjoyed both the Calvin and Hobbes and Princess Bride jokes in this one. Great review overall as always.

Steamperegrine

Jul 25, 2009
I just wonder what the character is like, aside from the idiot-proof tutorials and Badassness = (Size of hat)

Dhatz

Aug 18, 2009
the only problem with Wii's controls is the wii's controls! it's obsolete as shit.

Nothing can beat the Sixense True Motion. And it's multiplatform!

hcig

Mar 12, 2009
drakenabarion said:
hcig said:
drakenabarion said:

Okay you are right, its not the fault of casual games. But the problem when I go into a game store is that I can almost only find casual games on the Wii. Wii ported flash type games don't appeal to me, but I guess its obvious that they are making a lot of money for Nintendo, and Pop Cap games :)

But I hope Red Steel 2 is a step in the right direction. From what I can tell, it is a much more refined gaming experience. And a game doesn't need high definition or 2.9 billion polygons per seconds to be good. But time will tell if anyone else tried to do something new with that platform.

(Oh I like Chess too, and also Go (Japanese board game based on the idea of capturing territory for those who are not familiar) :D )
Mmmm, chess and go, the games that inspired "pai sho" a surprisingly fun game (taken from the avatar[of the good variety] universe) :D

yea, i totally share your sentiment about the casual games, but we will never get out of that hole until people like whats his face, ex- infinity ward guy stop saying the wii isnt worth your time, because of its lower processing capability.

nintendo was on the graphical cutting edge since the NES, and it got them NOTHING, when they entered with the N64, a console that was unbelievably powerful, they began to feel the sting of 3rd parties leaving them for the much more developer and budget friendly ps1, when the gamecube rolled around, that sentiment stayed, and so nintendo could only get the crappiest of 3rd party jobs.

soon, the gamecube was "kiddie", it had everything developers wanted (great power, great reputation among consumers, easy to develop for, etc) but now they declined, because the ps2 was where it was at, sure, its graphics were pathetic compared to the gamecube and xbox, but it had an enormous install base of gamers and non gamers alike, was the cheapest to develop for, and for some, it had the perfect controller. does this sound familiar to you?

this carried over to the wii, however, where they went the ps2 route, COMPLETE focus on large audience, better controls, and leaving power behind.

and they payed dearly for it.

you can tell that what started as legitimate complaints turned into a certain developer hatred of nintendo, and now, after developers failed for THREE YEARS to bring out any core games, they decide to go ahead with the plans, meanwhile, that ENORMOUS hardcore install base has already left their wii in the closet, because developers chose to shaft the consumer.

what would it take to get this core to buy your game?

bring it out with zelda

its that simple, you have to wait for the wii owners to bring out the wii for the new zelda game, right then, you need to snag them, begin releasing games within the first two months of zelda's release, and there is a chance of bringing them back to you.

of course, by "you" i mean them, and i dont know why i just typed up a poorly written history lesson and future wii gameplan when nobody who could use it will be reading :/

ninjajoeman

Mar 13, 2009
I am still wondering how hq graphics for someone using ms paint is this great thing.
Hell this is like how yathzee complains about the wii motion plus you improve the sensor but you dont improve the processor or something or other.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Y'know Yahtzee's lucky Twitter limits how long your tweets are because I would've fucking posted a much more mean spirited tweet than the one I sent him now. It seems every time he does a Wii review now, another brainless dipshit PS3 fanboy on YouTube uses it as an excuse as to how Wii owners apparently have no dick or how much of the very fanboys he hates that he's ironically become. (Except he gets paid for it)

Also I love how contradictory he is when it comes to the Wii using cel-shaded graphics in it's game. First of all, I thought Yahtzee was a "gameplay over graphics" person and second, I don't remember him saying that about No More Heroes 1. So it's okay for that game to do it but when every other game does it, it's because of graphics limitations. Yeah that's real fair.

Also why does every asshole on the internet keep saying it took 3 years for the Wii to get good? Last I checked aside from Brawl, No More Heroes, and Mario Kart, it was '08 that the Wii had it's first big blunder of a year and '09 was only slightly better than that but still lagged a bit. So it's really only been two years so far.

MowDownJoe

Apr 8, 2009
Don't worry, Yahtzee... I hate 2Fort, too.

...Actually, that's the only TF2 map I can think of that I hate.

SkullCap said:
hcig said:
SkullCap said:

He said on Twitter he went to GAMETRADERS RO.... err... some other GAMETRADERS to pick up the UK copy of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. Nintendo can't ruin his bootloader if he doesn't need to use it!

hcig

Mar 12, 2009
Dhatz said:
the only problem with Wii's controls is the wii's controls! it's obsolete as shit.

Nothing can beat the Sixense True Motion. And it's multiplatform!
what, do you work for them? sixense is the same thing as the wii motion plus

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
wildcard9 said:
Hmm...references to Charlie Brown, Helsing, and Calvin and Hobbes in the same review.
What was the Hellsing Reference? I think it flew over my head.

hcig

Mar 12, 2009
Lordofthesuplex said:
Y'know Yahtzee's lucky Twitter limits how long your tweets are because I would've fucking posted a much more mean spirited tweet than the one I sent him now. It seems every time he does a Wii review now, another brainless dipshit PS3 fanboy on YouTube uses it as an excuse as to how Wii owners apparently have no dick or how much of the very fanboys he hates that he's ironically become. (Except he gets paid for it)

Also I love how contradictory he is when it comes to the Wii using cel-shaded graphics in it's game. First of all, I thought Yahtzee was a "gameplay over graphics" person and second, I don't remember him saying that about No More Heroes 1. So it's okay for that game to do it but when every other game does it, it's because of graphics limitations. Yeah that's real fair.

Also why does every asshole on the internet keep saying it took 3 years for the Wii to get good? Last I checked aside from Brawl, No More Heroes, and Mario Kart, it was '08 that the Wii had it's first big blunder of a year and '09 was only slightly better than that but still lagged a bit. So it's really only been two years so far.
1. i have long wondered how a gameplay over graphics person could possibly bash the wii for graphics, but he did it.

2.maybe they mean the 3 years to get good, or maybe they arent getting it across properly, but to me, its that the wii too 3 years to get 1:1, and it took 3 years for big publishers to actually give a damn. though really, 4 games isnt my idea of publishers giving a damn

3.dont be so pissed, wii fans should be ignoring these things, let the ps3 fanboys have their fun, they only do it because they are dead on the inside (no games, you see?)

Potato21

Dec 17, 2009
Captain192 said:
Haha, enjoyed both the Calvin and Hobbes and Princess Bride jokes in this one. Great review overall as always.
This review was a reference to half my child hood with those! Princess Bride, Calving and Hobbes, Charlie Brown. Great review! Normally I can think of something I want him to do next but at this point I'm out of ideas. As always, can't wait til next week.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
"You only one because no one else was doing it"

Agreed

"You might hit a nearby pot plant"

I can imagine that.

Nice cat Yathzee. I'd want that one.

Nice episode overall. Didn't make me lol but made me amused. Wii Controller stuck to gun. Imagine the US Army enforcing that.

Greywalker Zero

Apr 14, 2010
IMPS ftw!
Dungeon Keeper would be proud.

And if you missed Reboot and any of its ilk, count yourself as one of the lucky.
And Alucard IS a gaf, which ever way you look at it.

Jumpingbean3

May 3, 2009
Your review made me think of something: Would the Wii motion control have been better if it was just an accessory for sword fighting games like Red Steel 2? I have no doubt the console itself would be better because we'd be worrying less about RSI, gaps between when you swing the remote and when it does something and horrible third party games that exist only to make use of the motion gimmick.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
LOL @ REBOOT GRAPHICS

LOL @ Cat with Lancer

LOL @ Hindenburg reference.

Killer jokes in here and I got the feeling he enjoyed the game somewhat. Or did I miss some kind of message here?

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Brilliant review! Really enjoyed this one! You summed up why you did like it and why you didn't like it perfectly!

Gold medal :D

Tanzka

Jan 7, 2009
Well Yahtzee, I hope you're happy. You've got the caped console crusaders on a roll again.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
"Put this bit in that bit" ROFL..

"My personal fighting style is 'Startled Gazelle'"

Brilliance as usual, and perhaps slightly more even handed than I had anticipated!

Flame Rider

Apr 5, 2010
MowDownJoe said:
Don't worry, Yahtzee... I hate 2Fort, too.

...Actually, that's the only TF2 map I can think of that I hate.
Judging by the setting you'd still be OK with Sawmill, Lumberyard, Viaduct and a few other, not counting player created stuff.

dmcc85

Feb 18, 2010
that native imp at the ending scene was totaly ignored.
you could play a farmer game, in whitch you have to climb up trees and cut of coconuts with your bayonett(a).

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
Damn, ZP is pretty sweet in high-def....... snarf snarf

Anyhow, that was the funniest ZP in a long while. I was laughing loudly to myself within the first two minutes to the point where I couldn't hear a lot of the review - that hasn't happened in FOREVER. Really good show, that one was!

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
"You killed his father, prepare to die." =D awesome review; I'm still surprised he hasn't reviewved Shattered Memories by the way.

LightOfDarkness

Mar 18, 2010
I thought Red Steel 2 was decent. Although your guns are useless about halfway through the game since the enemies can just block your bullets and even if you break their guard it's much more efficient to just stab them. I liked being able to choose between a gun and a sword more than those segments being gun/sword-specific (considering that sword segments are few and far between in the original red steel). I doubt Yahtzee ever gives Wii games a chance to be good.

Also, the only the RED part of TF2 maps are desert-y/ish.

adderseal

Nov 20, 2009
Yes yes yes yes! Calvin and Hobbes reference! You are my hero. This is one of the best ZPs ever done. The air traffic controller had me in stitches :D

Anaphyis

Jun 17, 2008
Pretty much any game could be superior with motion detection given some basic ingenuity on the side of the developer unless it is either a shooter or a platformer, aka the bread and butter for the EXTREME HARDCORE GAMERZ. So yeah.

Aside from the typical Wii bashing and the hypocrisy it entails and I've come to expect from Yahtzee I still have to ask why Nintendo is getting flak here when the title in question was developed and published by Ubisoft. No one in their right mind would blame Sony for Stormrise after all.

But hey, most oft the reviews for Wii titles also degrade into all-purpose Wii bashing, you nothing new here either.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
For some reason, by looking at the title and the cover art i was actually hoping for this game to be good. -_-

Dancing Rick

Apr 14, 2010
Loving the Princess Bride reference at the end there.
And I may or may not get this game, depends whether or not I decide the Wii is worth more than playing bowling on.

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
You mean the sensor bar doesn't go up the nose? No wonder I wasn't getting much response.

Yeah, I traded my Wii in so I won't be getting this one, nice to know the Motion Plus is actually doing something semi-decent for the first time, though. All the other games released for it seem bland and mediocre (save perhaps a couple of the Sports Resort Plus games).

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
hcig said:
NeutralDrow said:

oh wow, somebody else who agrees with me, the tiger (even fully upgraded) isnt as effective as he says it to be, and definately not as useful against bosses as he claims

but the full upgrade + special for the shotgun and sidewinder rifle are much worse, especially since even if an enemy is blocking, the explosive round of the rifle can be shot at the ground by them, and knock them over, then easily pop them again while their down, you can even 1-hit katakara if you get a headshot, though its somewhat remedied with the fact that the rifle rounds are rare, and max capacity is like, what, 20 or so rounds?
Hmm, I'll have to try that. I just finished fully upgrading my guns (just got the game a few days ago, so I'm still playing through Easy), and I'd yet to find a use for the explosive rounds...and yeah. 24 round max capacity, and ammunition few and far between. But damn do I love the rifle's Shot finisher. Even more than the revolver's throat shot.

Reading between the lines of the review, that's probably a wrong response. I'm probably supposed to be saying "that makes the game too easy!" instead of "holy shit, new way to be awesome!"

hcig said:
NeutralDrow said:
hcig said:

well, maybe, with yahtzee i suppose its hard to tell, at least when it comes to anything wii related (take that backhanded comment at the beginning about the wii being a home for innovation, for example)
Same here. Still strikes me as being incredibly shortsighted...but he's still entertaining, so I'll take that.

well ive been playing though on ninja, with weapons vanilla (except for revolver accuracy, its horribly off shot in the beginning) and pacing my special moves unlocks, and the game is significantly harder (if you input the nihonto hana code, its even harder, because its a wakizashi)
Another thing I'll have to try! Was that one of the pre-order codes or something?

but it also seems to vary by fighting styles, Jason V, the director says he has noticed people have distinct fighting styles, and apparently "the gamer" or, the guy who doesnt give a damn, and rushes in to kill everything, tends to have an easier time with the game, because he is so focused on raging through the whole fight, he seems to almost become bulletproof, hahaha.

im a bit similar to you though, but without the guillotine, i spend alot of time moving from one enemy to another, taking down immediate threats, and chipping away at armor and health as i dash around the room, then once i get an opening, i use the reaper, the matador, or the shot to finish them off.
I think I saw someone in a thread somewhere describe this game as "first-person Devil May Cry," and I do like playing it as such (hence, I will always secretly know "The Rush" as "Stinger"...and using The Shot with the shotgun is "Gunstinger"). But yes, anything stylish works, regardless of speed. If they have three points of armor, Guillotine, Matador, Rush, and deal accordingly...or if they have four, Guillotine, triple-slash, Matador, Shot. Or...

Well, you get the idea. And I just love the Guillotine, for some reason. And I have to admit, some of the fights have been pretty nerve-wracking so far. Like the first time fighting off two of those large, hammer-wielding Jackals...

the reaper and matador are EPIC against shinjiro, and if you use the eagle, you can start a short mid-air battle
I haven't gotten the Reaper yet (just unlocked Cobra), but I'll keep that in mind...

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
FallenMessiah88 said:
For some reason, by looking at the title and the cover art i was actually hoping for this game to be good. -_-
It is good. Weren't you listening?

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Interesting, seems to be the closest thing to a Wii game Yahtzee has actually LIKED somewhat since No More Heroes. Taking into account the fact that Yahtzee's reviews make everything sound 3 times worse than they actually are, I think I might check this out after all. When I have the time and money of course.

Oh yeah, and considering his end point about what kind of "hardcore" gameplay you can do with motion control, our very own MovieBob in his other life as the Game Overthinker just recently released a video [http://gameoverthinker.blogspot.com/2010/04/episode-34-waggle-war.html] on the implications of the upcoming Project Natal and PS3 Move and discusses Sony's attempts to be "hardcore" at the end. His thoughts were quite interesting.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
*squee*

There was a mention of ReBoot!

This is officially the Best. Review. Ever.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
haha. Guide the Hindenburg do-OH, THE HUMANITY! :(
jk
good review, Yahtzee. good comments on RS1 too ^-^

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I'm not sure what to say... Not bad but better with ketchup?!

I agree when he says that red steel 2 should be renamed red steel 1 'cause RS1 was shit.
And I also agree that they don't need to show a instruction video EVERYTIME you get a new ability.

But when he says thing like "What are we ever going to use this for except swordplay?!"
My question is "Does that really need to be said... Especially NOW and not 3 YEARS AGO!" Which is when it should have been said.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Awesome review. Loved all the jokes but you are NOT Inigo Montoya and I only have 5 fingers per hand.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
It's funny, I actually recall there being fans of the original Red Steel and those who really looked forward to Red Steel 2, but whatever.

I like the tutorials and instructions in the games, because I'd rather go in knowing exactly what they Hell I'm doing than risk going in blind.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Great Zero Punctuation this week. Let's see. The Wii is a Gamecube with a gimmicky controller. Wii 3rd party support is still garbage. It's good to be reminded of these things from time to time. However, it does seem that the motion control is somewhat improved. Although that still does nothing to fix the problem that Nintendo doesn't have a proper next gen console. I guess when your raking in money by the truck load it really doesn't matter what your detractors think. For my money though in five years the Wii will be right up there with R.O.B, The Power Glove, The Power Pad, and The Virtual Boy regardless of it's success. The only difference will be that this poorly done gimmick was able to turn a profit.

Quicksilver1111

Sep 18, 2008
ugh, another clueless wii review. I like how he mentions that the difficulty doesn't increase, despite actually saying the bad guys kind of get armour and powerful swords that require strong attacks to break. It's also only three times you have to pull off the move, which is good for me, because it's handy to know the moves off by heart if you want to actually win in the later boss fights. All his bashing, and he failed to mention the only thing I didn't like about the game - the ending. I liked his Princess Bride reference though.