Zero Punctuation: Red Steel 2

Captain12345

Apr 6, 2009
Haha, enjoyed both the Calvin and Hobbes and Princess Bride jokes in this one. Great review overall as always.

Dhatz

Aug 18, 2009
the only problem with Wii's controls is the wii's controls! it's obsolete as shit.

Nothing can beat the Sixense True Motion. And it's multiplatform!

hcig

Mar 12, 2009
drakenabarion said:
hcig said:
drakenabarion said:
Yey. Back to a good standard! :D

I love my Wii, but I love hearing Yahtzee tear it to shreds.

Now what the Wii needs is someone to burn all those casual games and start again. Even if there were good games on Wii, at the moment its too embarrassing rummaging through "My favourite pet kitten", "Barbies Magical Adventure" and other such made up titles which wouldn't shock my if the did really exist.

Wii was supposed to be a new and futuristic gaming system, not just another way to play chess.

p.s. Does anyone know if "Sadness" will ever be released? Along with Zelda, it was one of the reasons I bought the Wii on release date but seems to have vanished/been cancelled.
1.sadness was vaporware, sorry, but shattered memories is similar in concept, and it way friggin awesome (also very graphically appealing)

2.casual games dont need to burn, there are people that enjoy those games, the problem is the STIGMA needs to burn, so developers will put in proper time and money (like with RS2, silent hill, and monster hunter tri) to make a good game, sadly, RS2 isnt doing very well (though it has alot working against it) but silent hill sold well, and in japan, monster hunter tri sold the BEST of all the console MH games (still hard to compete with the psp market thought, as it is a portable version)

3.also, i like chess, but we need advance wars online instead :D
Okay you are right, its not the fault of casual games. But the problem when I go into a game store is that I can almost only find casual games on the Wii. Wii ported flash type games don't appeal to me, but I guess its obvious that they are making a lot of money for Nintendo, and Pop Cap games :)

But I hope Red Steel 2 is a step in the right direction. From what I can tell, it is a much more refined gaming experience. And a game doesn't need high definition or 2.9 billion polygons per seconds to be good. But time will tell if anyone else tried to do something new with that platform.

(Oh I like Chess too, and also Go (Japanese board game based on the idea of capturing territory for those who are not familiar) :D )
Mmmm, chess and go, the games that inspired "pai sho" a surprisingly fun game (taken from the avatar[of the good variety] universe) :D

yea, i totally share your sentiment about the casual games, but we will never get out of that hole until people like whats his face, ex- infinity ward guy stop saying the wii isnt worth your time, because of its lower processing capability.

nintendo was on the graphical cutting edge since the NES, and it got them NOTHING, when they entered with the N64, a console that was unbelievably powerful, they began to feel the sting of 3rd parties leaving them for the much more developer and budget friendly ps1, when the gamecube rolled around, that sentiment stayed, and so nintendo could only get the crappiest of 3rd party jobs.

soon, the gamecube was "kiddie", it had everything developers wanted (great power, great reputation among consumers, easy to develop for, etc) but now they declined, because the ps2 was where it was at, sure, its graphics were pathetic compared to the gamecube and xbox, but it had an enormous install base of gamers and non gamers alike, was the cheapest to develop for, and for some, it had the perfect controller. does this sound familiar to you?

this carried over to the wii, however, where they went the ps2 route, COMPLETE focus on large audience, better controls, and leaving power behind.

and they payed dearly for it.

you can tell that what started as legitimate complaints turned into a certain developer hatred of nintendo, and now, after developers failed for THREE YEARS to bring out any core games, they decide to go ahead with the plans, meanwhile, that ENORMOUS hardcore install base has already left their wii in the closet, because developers chose to shaft the consumer.

what would it take to get this core to buy your game?

bring it out with zelda

its that simple, you have to wait for the wii owners to bring out the wii for the new zelda game, right then, you need to snag them, begin releasing games within the first two months of zelda's release, and there is a chance of bringing them back to you.

of course, by "you" i mean them, and i dont know why i just typed up a poorly written history lesson and future wii gameplan when nobody who could use it will be reading :/

ninjajoeman

Mar 13, 2009
I am still wondering how hq graphics for someone using ms paint is this great thing.
Hell this is like how yathzee complains about the wii motion plus you improve the sensor but you dont improve the processor or something or other.

MowDownJoe

Apr 8, 2009
Don't worry, Yahtzee... I hate 2Fort, too.

...Actually, that's the only TF2 map I can think of that I hate.

SkullCap said:
hcig said:
SkullCap said:
I have to admit this game looks rather good. Definitely worth a rental to check it out.

I must say this is Yahtzee's first Wii review in several months which made me curious as to why he has not reviewed No More Heroes 2. Regardless of that, this Red Steel 2 review was a nice surprise.
he joked about "too good to rip on" before but im almost certain he cant complain enough to justify it :D

or maybe its because it doesnt release until the end of next month :p
*laughs quietly to myself*

The Australian release dates do point to the possibility of No More Heroes 2 not being reviewed yet just like Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.
He said on Twitter he went to GAMETRADERS RO.... err... some other GAMETRADERS to pick up the UK copy of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. Nintendo can't ruin his bootloader if he doesn't need to use it!

hcig

Mar 12, 2009
Dhatz said:
the only problem with Wii's controls is the wii's controls! it's obsolete as shit.

Nothing can beat the Sixense True Motion. And it's multiplatform!
what, do you work for them? sixense is the same thing as the wii motion plus

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
wildcard9 said:
Hmm...references to Charlie Brown, Helsing, and Calvin and Hobbes in the same review.
What was the Hellsing Reference? I think it flew over my head.

hcig

Mar 12, 2009
Lordofthesuplex said:
Y'know Yahtzee's lucky Twitter limits how long your tweets are because I would've fucking posted a much more mean spirited tweet than the one I sent him now. It seems every time he does a Wii review now, another brainless dipshit PS3 fanboy on YouTube uses it as an excuse as to how Wii owners apparently have no dick or how much of the very fanboys he hates that he's ironically become. (Except he gets paid for it)

Also I love how contradictory he is when it comes to the Wii using cel-shaded graphics in it's game. First of all, I thought Yahtzee was a "gameplay over graphics" person and second, I don't remember him saying that about No More Heroes 1. So it's okay for that game to do it but when every other game does it, it's because of graphics limitations. Yeah that's real fair.

Also why does every asshole on the internet keep saying it took 3 years for the Wii to get good? Last I checked aside from Brawl, No More Heroes, and Mario Kart, it was '08 that the Wii had it's first big blunder of a year and '09 was only slightly better than that but still lagged a bit. So it's really only been two years so far.
1. i have long wondered how a gameplay over graphics person could possibly bash the wii for graphics, but he did it.

2.maybe they mean the 3 years to get good, or maybe they arent getting it across properly, but to me, its that the wii too 3 years to get 1:1, and it took 3 years for big publishers to actually give a damn. though really, 4 games isnt my idea of publishers giving a damn

3.dont be so pissed, wii fans should be ignoring these things, let the ps3 fanboys have their fun, they only do it because they are dead on the inside (no games, you see?)

Potato21

Dec 17, 2009
Captain192 said:
Haha, enjoyed both the Calvin and Hobbes and Princess Bride jokes in this one. Great review overall as always.
This review was a reference to half my child hood with those! Princess Bride, Calving and Hobbes, Charlie Brown. Great review! Normally I can think of something I want him to do next but at this point I'm out of ideas. As always, can't wait til next week.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
"You only one because no one else was doing it"

Agreed

"You might hit a nearby pot plant"

I can imagine that.

Nice cat Yathzee. I'd want that one.

Nice episode overall. Didn't make me lol but made me amused. Wii Controller stuck to gun. Imagine the US Army enforcing that.

Greywalker Zero

Apr 14, 2010
IMPS ftw!
Dungeon Keeper would be proud.

And if you missed Reboot and any of its ilk, count yourself as one of the lucky.
And Alucard IS a gaf, which ever way you look at it.

Jumpingbean3

May 3, 2009
Your review made me think of something: Would the Wii motion control have been better if it was just an accessory for sword fighting games like Red Steel 2? I have no doubt the console itself would be better because we'd be worrying less about RSI, gaps between when you swing the remote and when it does something and horrible third party games that exist only to make use of the motion gimmick.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Brilliant review! Really enjoyed this one! You summed up why you did like it and why you didn't like it perfectly!

Gold medal :D