Zero Punctuation: Resident Evil 4

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
I was excited for a Resident Evil 2 Remake until I saw it confirming for me that Resident Evil 4 ultimately ruined Resident Evil for me.

Also despite seeing any Silent Hill game played I have zero interest in that franchise.

Typing this down makes me feel like Yahtzee stole what was my favorite horror franchise.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I never quite managed to put my finger on what makes RE4 scary outside the Regenerators. It's true the game has an unnerving tendecy to scale danger from 0 to 100 in seconds. Even after you replay it hundreds of times, the way the game paces its quiet moments with full-on action sequences (and the way danger escalates within them) makes for a nerve-breaking trip.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I think we can all admit the Village was the best part of the game. Tense, scary, low ammo and weapons, dark rain, monsters and dog. The castle was silly fun, but silly none-the-less. Felt more like a Castlevania game.
The island was just kinda' there. The Regenerators were fucking terrifying, but outside of that it was just another generic military zombie island

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
Well, let me fix the last part: Resident Evil Gaiden is one of the most overlooked RE experiences, everyone throws the word 'underrated' whenever Code Veronica, 3D Mercenaries or Zero is mentioned, but Gaiden is better, horror game on a handheld notwithstanding. It also did the whole survivor on a ship way better than Revelations did.

The fact that it was meant to be the tie between 2 and Nemesis, before it was completely retconned, shows that Capcom is above Square Enix in the regard of tying important lore bits of a series in completely different platforms. Maybe with REmake 2, Gaiden will be touched again, or Capcom will turn that into another Umbrella Corps and then everything Yahtzee said will be true.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
i hated re7... it was barely a RE game.. it was a texas chainsaw massacre game with generic horror crap sprinkled on top.... RE4 on the other hand was quite different then previous RE games but it was still connected enough that it felt like it fit and was a really good game on gamecube

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Jacked Assassin said:
I was excited for a Resident Evil 2 Remake until I saw it confirming for me that Resident Evil 4 ultimately ruined Resident Evil for me.

Also despite seeing any Silent Hill game played I have zero interest in that franchise.

Typing this down makes me feel like Yahtzee stole what was my favorite horror franchise.
RE4 was my first game in the franchise, so unlike most people I wasn't upset when 5 and 6 went in a more action-oriented direction and i'm excited for the remake of RE2(especially given how shit that game was to begin with, whatever they do to it could only be an improvement).

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
crazygameguy4ever said:
i hated re7... it was barely a RE game.. it was a texas chainsaw massacre game with generic horror crap sprinkled on top.... RE4 on the other hand was quite different then previous RE games but it was still connected enough that it felt like it fit and was a really good game on gamecube
Igor-Rowan said:
Well, let me fix the last part: Resident Evil Gaiden is one of the most overlooked RE experiences, everyone throws the word 'underrated' whenever Code Veronica, 3D Mercenaries or Zero is mentioned, but Gaiden is better, horror game on a handheld notwithstanding. It also did the whole survivor on a ship way better than Revelations did.

The fact that it was meant to be the tie between 2 and Nemesis, before it was completely retconned, shows that Capcom is above Square Enix in the regard of tying important lore bits of a series in completely different platforms. Maybe with REmake 2, Gaiden will be touched again, or Capcom will turn that into another Umbrella Corps and then everything Yahtzee said will be true.
I think 5, 6 and Revelations 2 are all underrated games.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
MC1980 said:
The perception of the early RE games is fascinating. They were never anything but schlock action garbage, with giant snakes, sharks, plants, crocodiles, The Thing monsters, random made up special forces/mercenary groups, pretend science straight from trashy b-movies and stupid roundabout conspiracies. Yet people treat them like they're these small scale focused horror classics, and RE4 was the one that brought forth the stupidity. That was just the honest one.

Take Remake 2 for example. That game looks nothing like the game it is remaking outside of superficial elements of characters and location. What it does feel like, is it's the remake of the game people pretended RE2 was. Scary, intense horror, suspense whatever. But wasn't what it was. That's just what you thought it was when you played it when you were 10, and were stupid. Go back to it now with the blinders off and say it's not laughable as 'horror'.
Agreed, RE 1-3 were all shite, nobody really gave a shit about RE1 until it got a remake that made it not suck.

Speaking of which, I wonder if Yahtzee is going to review said remake?

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I totally forgot about Gaiden and Dead Aim before this video. Was there also one set in a zoo?

darkrage6 said:
MC1980 said:
The perception of the early RE games is fascinating. They were never anything but schlock action garbage, with giant snakes, sharks, plants, crocodiles, The Thing monsters, random made up special forces/mercenary groups, pretend science straight from trashy b-movies and stupid roundabout conspiracies. Yet people treat them like they're these small scale focused horror classics, and RE4 was the one that brought forth the stupidity. That was just the honest one.

Take Remake 2 for example. That game looks nothing like the game it is remaking outside of superficial elements of characters and location. What it does feel like, is it's the remake of the game people pretended RE2 was. Scary, intense horror, suspense whatever. But wasn't what it was. That's just what you thought it was when you played it when you were 10, and were stupid. Go back to it now with the blinders off and say it's not laughable as 'horror'.
Agreed, RE 1-3 were all shite, nobody really gave a shit about RE1 until it got a remake that made it not suck.

Speaking of which, I wonder if Yahtzee is going to review said remake?
Agreed. RE has always been schlocky, but I think that was what they were aiming for. It's Silent Hill that nails atmospheric horror.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
crazygameguy4ever said:
You uh, not a long time fan of the series I take it?

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
darkrage6 said:
Jacked Assassin said:

RE4 was my first game in the franchise, so unlike most people I wasn't upset when 5 and 6 went in a more action-oriented direction and i'm excited for the remake of RE2(especially given how shit that game was to begin with, whatever they do to it could only be an improvement).
(I swear I had already responded to this post, but my response was deleted)

The reality of the matter is Resident Evil 4 should have gone the way of Devil May Cry by not being a Resident Evil game. The fact that people need to complain about Resident Evil's lore while praising Resident Evil 4's gameplay should be proof enough for them that they don't like Resident Evil. For people like them, they should go play a different franchise that adopted Resident Evil 4's gameplay.

And since you found the original games to be shit I rather not have you as a fan of what was my favorite horror franchise.

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
Catasros said:
I'm assuming there's a good reason that I've never heard of Dead Aim?
Not really. First, it provides a good look at how a company can make a game better from one game to the other. With Dead Aim, they take all the stuff that didn't work with Dino Stalker and polish everything that did work up to a shine. Second, it's quite a good entry for a Guncon 2 Resident Evil game (that's not on rails).

But there's where the problem comes in. It has been established that Yahtzee doesn't like game control schemes that are not standard controller. Even without that, Guncon games were largely a niche market.

Darth_Payn said:
I totally forgot about Gaiden and Dead Aim before this video. Was there also one set in a zoo?
Resident Evil Outbreak 2 did have a zoo complete with it's own zombie elephant. However, you'd have to play REO2 and, unlike Dino Stalker -> RE: Dead Aim, the Outbreaks go in the opposite direction. RE Outbreak was a game that was a lot of fun as an L4D predecessor set in the RE Universe with a fairly coherent story (for RE). Outbreak 2, apart from replacing most of it's voice actors with really bad ones, seems to be more of a loose collection of scenarios that were left on the cutting room floor from the first Outbreak. It could have been salvaged through the creativity of SOME of the scenarios if the partner AI wasn't so rock-stupid. However, the AI does not improve. As such, an AI that was adequate in the first Outbreak becomes unplayable in the second one.

Undead Elephant? I will run at it and try to stab it. Well, I'm dead again and I need the human player to save me.

This brings us to the problem with playing it with human characters. Apart from the fact that the servers are gone (although you can still find the occasional unofficial one), Sasaki wanted to preserve the horror vibe. Realizing that horror goes flying out the window if you allow people to talk to each other, he refused to incorporate voice speak and just left a voice menu of common non-location specific commands. This made teamwork difficult in RE1 and it did not change for Outbreak 2.

Well, I ranted a bit there. The short answer is Outbreak 2 had a zoo section.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Johnny Novgorod said:
I never quite managed to put my finger on what makes RE4 scary outside the Regenerators. It's true the game has an unnerving tendecy to scale danger from 0 to 100 in seconds. Even after you replay it hundreds of times, the way the game paces its quiet moments with full-on action sequences (and the way danger escalates within them) makes for a nerve-breaking trip.
The Castle part with Salazar was unnerving. THe creepy black robbed Cultists were the most scariest of the 3 factions of enemies you encounter and they had the more scary special enemies like the gladiator like brute with the giant claws, the cultists head exploding into the Plaga head was the most gnarly one since that one can eat Leon's entire head. And lets not forget Salazar's Right Hand.