Zero Punctuation: Resident Evil 5

Judithia

Mar 25, 2009
Indigo_Dingo said:
Judithia said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Well thats my enthusiasm for this game crushed. So far the only really worthwile game to sow up this year has been downloadable.
You must try really hard to hate games.

That or your nostalgia goggles are on far too tight
The games in question are Flower, Lumines Supernova, Noby Noby Boy, and Savage Moon. I don't ask much of games. Besides, if I had nostalgia goggles I would have liked Street fighter IV. I have no nostalgia goggles to speak of.
So you didn't enjoy

Killzone 2
Madworld
Persona 4
Skate 2

Whats not to like about Street Fighter IV?

KingKamor

Jul 8, 2008
Loved the bit about carrying your armor in a pocket of your armor. The infinite loop picture was a nice touch.

I can't get this game, since I can't afford a 360 or a PS3, but I've played RE4, and I was wondering what they did to the inventory screen for RE5. It saddens me that they no longer have the attache case, because I actually had fun organizing my random shit in that thing. Hell, I could horde ten chicken eggs for healing purposes and still have enough room for my handgun, an smg, a sniper rifle, and a rocket launcher. I hated the inventory screens in REs zero through 3, and RE4 had the only one that I liked. Alas, Capcom is indeed comprised of idiots. Thanks for the vid.

Judithia

Mar 25, 2009
Captnhaggis said:
I've played 5, and the biggest problem (which I was amazed yahtzee didn't mention) was the controls. I absolutely hated them. Whose decision was it to require the player to hold down two buttons at once to fire? Every time I got surprised by another sneaky zombie, I found myself yanking impotently on the right trigger and pleading with the muscly TV man to shoot his goddamn gun.
Hang on..

Its been like this for every Resident Evil game to date.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Roffey123 said:
It is, suprisingly, possible to hate an element of the game but like the game itself?
OK, you've got me there... I guess I'm too picky. Or maybe I'm just stupid and missing out on some good games. Maybe if I play counter-strike for another 10 years I'll start getting good at it...

griffinmills

Apr 7, 2008
Having been playing video games since the pinball era I've got to say, "WTF do you people expect out of "A.I." in video games?" I definitely went in expecting it to be way, way worse than it is. PS3 version here and Sheva seems positively amazing at times. She combines Herbs, has two different attack patterns based on whether you put her into Combat or Cover mode. Navigates 99% of the game with great ease even when terrain is changing around and monsters and populating everywhere. Always saves you if you remember to hit the button. In my games she heals you only when she or you are getting rather low on health. Is it immaculate perfection of a cloned version of yourself obeying your every whim telepathically? No, and it's never going to be so.

Is it possible that the PS3 version AI is just amazingly better?

As for personality and character, Sheva is the least annoying female character in a video game to my recent memory. Her voice acting isn't overblown and her dialogue is mostly supportive without tons of B.S. snobby one-ups-manship quips and/or tied to a chair orgasm squeals and moans in lieu of real dialogue. Really only the, "You can't be serious..." line when she can't path back to you is about the only annoying thing she says and it's way less disturbing than Ashley asking Leon for some "Overtime."

Gameplay is rather changed up from RE4 if you bother to explore it. Lots of melee attacks to perform rather than the Kick and Suplex only. Limited carrying space is a throw back to RE1 IMO and should have at least offered the RE4 option of expanding your "attache" case through purchasable upgrades. RE1, 2, 3 and Code Veronica were great and fun games at the time but I don't know if folks could handle them now if we have people complaining about "can't walk sideways" or "can't move and aim" in this game. RE5 lets you quick turn, dodge with button combos, save each other, melee enemies... and yes you can strafe if you let go of the run button by the way, yet somehow it's not enough. This isn't Tomb Raider folks! Okay this is a bit of a potpourri paragraph but Capcom has to try some different gameplay or else they'll get slapped with the, "you didn't change anything!!" stick, damned if they do/don't yadda yadda.

Yahtzee's review is very funny and well done, as always, but I feel he either is willfully ignoring solutions or opting to ridicule the solutions presented. Some stuff is dead on, eggs taking up inventory, unable to simple snarf recovery items instead of passing them around and equipping them laboriously, armor inside of armor etc. Unfortunately I feel he is a bit off the mark on Sheva and folks are reading racism into things pretty much at their leisure rather than with any thought. Like 987987987 people before me have mentioned, the tribal village part was explained in game and seemed wholly appropriate in the progression of the story thus far at that point.

In summation, I'm not sure if Yahtzee was "lazy" at the gameplay part of this review or decided to be "lazy" in the review part. Was he not paying enough attention while playing the game and thus missed some really obvious solutions and explanations or did he discard these solutions and explanations in order to get to "teh funny" of the review? Some reviews you can tell he really hates the games and could care less and these are generally very brutal and funny reviews. Some though you can tell he actually was a bit fond of the game and thus is laboring a bit to do his "duty" and be "that mean Yahtzee reviewer guy" and slam the title. Some throw away lines in this review like, "chris sandich" and the knocks on early titles make me think this is another review where he either liked, or wanted to like and was a bit disappointed by, RE5. Excellent "that mean Yahtzee reviewer guy" review, mechanically, but I feel he had to, either willfully or not, feign(?) ignorance of some things to get himself and the review where it needed to be to match expectations.

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
Thankyou very much for giving Resident Evil 5 the kicking it deserves. A friend of mine has been banging on about it for weeks. Now all he needs to do is review 'Empire: Total War', say its better than Portal, apologise for being a dick for not reviewing it earlier, and I can die a happy man.
But no, Yahtzee won't do things like that. He has his stuck up his arse too hard.

griffinmills

Apr 7, 2008
p1ne said:
One of the best ZPs to date, methinks.
I'd be interested to know why you feel this way, with details and stuff! Of course I'd hate to be disappointed to learn you only say that because you, "Hate RE5" or something blaize but I could be pleasantly surprised and that would be great.

Personally I felt the review of "peggle" where he bags on "casual games" and their ilk was one of his best. The topic was (nearly over) ripe for ridicule and the sarcasm scathingly hilarious and brilliant.

The Zelda Phantom Hourglass (IIRC) review is good because you can tell he really likes the game and it's fun to see him struggle a bit. Actually, any review where he ends up liking the game besides himself is interesting since it's a change of pace. I think this happens to him in the Saints Row 2 review as well.

hayashi38

Jul 14, 2008
"You're carrying your armour in the pocket of your own armour."
Brilliant. This video was more Classic Yahtzee too. Bloody Brilliant.

Judithia

Mar 25, 2009
griffinmills said:
Having been playing video games since the pinball era I've got to say, "WTF do you people expect out of "A.I." in video games?" I definitely went in expecting it to be way, way worse than it is. PS3 version here and Sheva seems positively amazing at times. She combines Herbs, has two different attack patterns based on whether you put her into Combat or Cover mode. Navigates 99% of the game with great ease even when terrain is changing around and monsters and populating everywhere. Always saves you if you remember to hit the button. In my games she heals you only when she or you are getting rather low on health. Is it immaculate perfection of a cloned version of yourself obeying your every whim telepathically? No, and it's never going to be so.

Is it possible that the PS3 version AI is just amazingly better?

As for personality and character, Sheva is the least annoying female character in a video game to my recent memory. Her voice acting isn't overblown and her dialogue is mostly supportive without tons of B.S. snobby one-ups-manship quips and/or tied to a chair orgasm squeals and moans in lieu of real dialogue. Really only the, "You can't be serious..." line when she can't path back to you is about the only annoying thing she says and it's way less disturbing than Ashley asking Leon for some "Overtime."

Gameplay is rather changed up from RE4 if you bother to explore it. Lots of melee attacks to perform rather than the Kick and Suplex only. Limited carrying space is a throw back to RE1 IMO and should have at least offered the RE4 option of expanding your "attache" case through purchasable upgrades. RE1, 2, 3 and Code Veronica were great and fun games at the time but I don't know if folks could handle them now if we have people complaining about "can't walk sideways" or "can't move and aim" in this game. RE5 lets you quick turn, dodge with button combos, save each other, melee enemies... and yes you can strafe if you let go of the run button by the way, yet somehow it's not enough. This isn't Tomb Raider folks! Okay this is a bit of a potpourri paragraph but Capcom has to try some different gameplay or else they'll get slapped with the, "you didn't change anything!!" stick, damned if they do/don't yadda yadda.

Yahtzee's review is very funny and well done, as always, but I feel he either is willfully ignoring solutions or opting to ridicule the solutions presented. Some stuff is dead on, eggs taking up inventory, unable to simple snarf recovery items instead of passing them around and equipping them laboriously, armor inside of armor etc. Unfortunately I feel he is a bit off the mark on Sheva and folks are reading racism into things pretty much at their leisure rather than with any thought. Like 987987987 people before me have mentioned, the tribal village part was explained in game and seemed wholly appropriate in the progression of the story thus far at that point.

In summation, I'm not sure if Yahtzee was "lazy" at the gameplay part of this review or decided to be "lazy" in the review part. Was he not paying enough attention while playing the game and thus missed some really obvious solutions and explanations or did he discard these solutions and explanations in order to get to "teh funny" of the review? Some reviews you can tell he really hates the games and could care less and these are generally very brutal and funny reviews. Some though you can tell he actually was a bit fond of the game and thus is laboring a bit to do his "duty" and be "that mean Yahtzee reviewer guy" and slam the title. Some throw away lines in this review like, "chris sandich" and the knocks on early titles make me think this is another review where he either liked, or wanted to like and was a bit disappointed by, RE5. Excellent "that mean Yahtzee reviewer guy" review, mechanically, but I feel he had to, either willfully or not, feign(?) ignorance of some things to get himself and the review where it needed to be to match expectations.
Finally, some one who isn't blinded by fanboyism

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Captnhaggis said:
I've played 5, and the biggest problem (which I was amazed yahtzee didn't mention) was the controls. I absolutely hated them. Whose decision was it to require the player to hold down two buttons at once to fire? Every time I got surprised by another sneaky zombie, I found myself yanking impotently on the right trigger and pleading with the muscly TV man to shoot his goddamn gun.
i agree with you there. its a fucking third person shooter. not like the old RE parts. it sure was abit a pain in the ass (should have done it like in dino crisis) at some stages but it worked.
if i would have been able to strafe in RE 4, i could have liked the game in a way. i lost counting, so many times i have died because of no strafing.

Gennabear

Mar 26, 2009
I agree with the end!! Where is the arms dealer?? He was hands down my favorite of RE4. His loss saddens me. And after watching my friend play thru the first time, you pretty much quoted him word fer word on Sheva. I laughed my ass off.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
I agree with the following:

I hate the AI's stupdity.

The inventory system is stupid. a white egg takes up as much space as the GATLING GUN( a weapon specific to Chris, much bigger than assault rifle)? SERIOUSLY!?

I hate how they removed the ninja/pirate merchant dude. Now I apparently sell my treasure on ebay.

Armor takes up a slot? it is stored in a pocket of my armor? (well phrased Yahtzee!) WHAT THE HELL!?

(Spoiler!!!!!!)

I hate how unrealistic many of the guns are. The MP5 has penetration and the Sig 556 doesn't? What the hell? and why does the Smith and Wessson Model 29 hold more ammo than a desert eagle? In real life, the eagle is better at spraying ammo. the Eagles' special upgrade should have been rate of fire, not piercing. Piercing should have gone to the M29-it has a longer barrel and more acceleration.

However, I love:

You can make any gun infinite ammo. YAY!!! Not just a few guns, but any gun you like. I liked how the Broken Butterfly had a nice rate of fire, better than the handcannon, and often wished I could get infinite ammo for it. Sigh.

I love how they added a Smith and Wesson 500 to this game. My favorite gun in RL. Ironic, since I wanted to see more of the Broken Butterfly last game.

It takes fairly long to get a gun the infinite ammo upgrade...but not too long. So it feels like an accomplishment, but doesn't take forever. Nicely done :)

Being able to buy ammo for a gun- even if it's only the grenade launcher- is a good decision.

I can store items outside my inventory in a between-missions safe deposit box. WONDERFUL DECISION.

(END SPOILER)

Ultimately I thought the game was worth it. Still, I hate the steps taken backwards.

Judithia

Mar 25, 2009
Metalrocks said:
Captnhaggis said:
i agree with you there. its a fucking third person shooter. not like the old RE parts. it sure was abit a pain in the ass (should have done it like in dino crisis) at some stages but it worked.
if i would have been able to strafe in RE 4, i could have liked the game in a way. i lost counting, so many times i have died because of no strafing.
HAHAHAHAHAHA OH WOW!

You silly trolls.

GojiraX

May 7, 2008
I'm surprised Yahtzee never mentions the controls. That's one of the top three complaints made by people who are too easily annoyed.

Judithia

Mar 25, 2009
Treblaine said:
But when people start associating personalities with races (ie, "acting black") then that is racism and there are not enough hours in the day for that bullshit.
Treblaine said:
there are not enough hours in the day for that bullshit.
So there needs to be more hours in the day for racism?

That's what your saying?

Nice one.

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
Blank__ said:
It's "Cliff's Notes."
Who is this "Cliff" and why does he have notes? He doesn't exist which means he can't have notes. Yahtzee is correct. It's "cliff notes," not "Cliff's Notes." Stop trying to be smart and correcting people because you suck at it.