Zero Punctuation: Resident Evil 5

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
carry armor in a pocket in your armor and capcom arent bad people they are just idiots are both good calls

as always, another good review. two thumbs up.

chenry

Oct 31, 2007
RE5 wasn't bad. You get a smaller inventory screen, but you also get an nigh infinite storage bin you can access between levels.

What I do hate though is that interesting situation where I have 20 bullets. My partner has 10 bullets. I want those bullets. But both of our inventories are full. I cannot request this ammo because I have no space, and the game won't automatically add the ammo on top of my existing cache.

The partner AI is hockey-helmet, mittens-on-strings retarded. She basically stands around and does nothing while zombies are trying to chew my face off. She wastes ammo constantly, it actually got the point where I took away her guns and gave her a cattle prod and that was it. When she's not doing bugger all, she's usually standing in your way, blocking you from shooting.

So play co-op, either online or offline. You can probably get through amateur mode w/ the AI, but human partners is essential when you get to higher difficulty levels. Thankfully Capcom has done a good job with the online mode so it's not a complete clusterfuck like certain games.

As for armour taking up a space in the inventory, maybe it's not in the inventory just blocking your pockets :p

And so far I am having no major issues with the small inventory. I can go into a level carrying a pistol w/ a full mag, my trusty shotgun, and that is it. I will exit the level with more ammo, healing potions, treasure, and a variety of other junk the game will throw at me. The inventory is not broken, it's just different.

This is especially easy if you beat the game on a lower difficulty first, since your items and and weapons all carry over. Starting on Normal mode with a maxed out handgun and more bullets than God certainly makes things easier.

Redfield2701

Mar 11, 2009
I think peole are expecting way way way to much out of Sheva. We should always keep in mind she is still just a computer controlled player, how much can the comuter really do? If she did all the work for you it wouldn't be much of a challange. If you play the game with her JUST as a supprot player and don't really expect much outta her things get 10 times better. Now with that said once I went thru the game a few times and unlocked infinite ammo, I gave her a magnum and she never missed a shot, something to be said for "bad" AI.

On top of that, Armour is just Armour. you don't strap on a bullet proof vest and magicly have 10 more pockets. Armour is met to save your life, not carry your shit. Now with that in mind, If you put armour plates over your legs (like in RE5) wouldn't you end up covering a few pockets.....Just sayin'

P.S. For all of you having trouble with the A.I. I wrapped all modes with her, Including pro people need patients. I have played with a lot dumber people online then my computer A.I. If you don't believe me....Redfield2701 on the PSN

nought_0

Sep 17, 2008
Funny as the corner of hell where all the comedians go.
Oddly tickled by the unimpressed yet patient crab, and if a game's ever released where you're healed by your female sidekick wiping your tears with a hanky, I'm buying it. No questions asked.

Breno

Jul 4, 2008
yeah i tought that hole retarted thing about inventory was stupit to i mean they could have at least make it so u paused the game when u went into it!!

Sgt. Dante

Jul 30, 2008
puchead said:
right.......... memory quiz time!!!

Gun, Knife, Nintendo DS(Old Version), Cadbury Creme Egg, Jar Of Branston Pickle, Copy og the Beano, Captain Pickard .....thing, The TARDIS, a purple Dildo

yes, you don't have to say it-I have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy to much time on my hands.
I got the cream egg, switchblade and the DS, but couldn't remember the other 6. didn't even notice the bottom row the first time round.

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
I know a bit about Resident Evil.

I agree with the fact that Resident Evil 5 has the spark of 4 in there somewhere, but doesn't let it come to fruition because so many wrong ideas have been put in.

However, I disagree with Yahtzee's "Partner" problems, which is apparently the biggest problem he has with the game. His first problem was the fact that Sheva always seemed to resort to the Handgun. So lame!

Here are some ideas, Yathzee:

(1) ditch her Handgun, and she'll have (a) her Machinegun or whatnot at the ready and (b) one extra inventory slot for you! Win win!

(2) If you're a clever player, you'll find out that you can tell Sheva to switch between Cover and Attack Mode. In Cover Mode, she's the lovely Handgun/Sniper Rifle housewife you described, but in Attack Mode, she'll whip out that Machinegun and not heal you that often (and bring out the big herbs when you actually need them - or not hehe :).

The inventory system problems I can relate to but not when one of Yahtzee's complaints is that an Egg is taking a WHOLE inventory slot. They do stack, you know. Five of'em in one slot. Feel immortal with five golden ones at the ready anytime.

With that said, I personally have other gameplay and story related problems with Resident Evil 5. A LOT of them, far too many to list here - I'll be talking about them all in my FAQ, don't worry :). And keep in mind, I've been playing this series fanatically since it all began. I always liked the story, the new game elements/challenges and its twists.

Until now. Resident Evil 5 is a quilt of games and not an attractive, coherent whole because of it. Gameplay wise, I can work around all the issues, but I don't find myself enjoying the game while doing this. I don't like the Boss fights at all - those giant orange glowing globes being the cause, because it feels like an insult to my gaming intellect. They remind me of Lost Planet a lot actually - say, who directed Resident Evil 5 again?

Yep, that's right.

It's not Shinji Mikami. I fear that because he left, a large part of what made Resident Evil so interesting to me left as well. Now we're Takeuchi country, the man who loves giant orange glowing globes, pointless plots and completely forgettable characters (I mean, how many of you out there actually liked Irving and Excella? Not to mention how "important" they are as characters in the story).

Anyway, I'll tell you all here and now that after taking this baby through Professional mode, I am disappointed in Resident Evil 5. Really. This game had such enormous potential, but it has been squandered - the resulting quilt (sans the story) may be nice to look at and to play in most of the parts, but it doesn't leave a lot of lasting impressions (there are some, but quite limited). As a whole, I'd rate this to be a decent, fun romp, but not much more than that.

Takeuchi is talking about a "total reset" for Resident Evil 6. After reading the Files, I fear that I already know what this reset is going to be. And I really hope that they won't do it.

All right, ranted long enough. See you in the FAQ (or not).

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
For the first time, I agreed with each and every bit of Y's review. No merchant, the nine circles of hell and a copy paste of the first area of RE4. Oh dears. The armor bit had me rolling on the floor but my favorite was the sidestep to fall of the bridged. They really needed to innovate. Coop all the way. Wander how the hobo felt sitting at Y's couch.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
"Capcom arn't bad people, they're just idiots"

I like the way this is put. Any racism in RE5 isn't diliberate, it's just Capcom being retards so there not much to worry about.

Extravaganza

Mar 2, 2009
I've been wonder why Yahtzee didn't say anything about the awesome graphics.
Or maybe a little part on how fucking bullshit the controls are, and how you cant move and shoot/knife.

I cant play this game for long periods of time without getting pissed at the game design/controls.

Iwamori

Sep 7, 2008
The way you set sheva to use her better weapons was holding B and pressing up on the d pad to switch her to attack rather than cover. How anyone was supposed to intuitively know this was beyond me though.

Great review as always.

MsDevin92

Nov 9, 2008
Huh, my little brother was playing the game a few weeks ago and kept complaining about the partner, too. I will admit, she used a LOT of healing items on him...

bumbum

Mar 25, 2009
I think this is the first ZP review which I have agreed with every point. Bravo, Mr Yahtzee :)

You hit the nail on the head. I also think RES 5 takes itself way too seriously; RES 4 had the shooting galleries, the merchant, and the characters were almost parodies of genre clichés.