Zero Punctuation: Resident Evil 5

BristolRuss

Mar 25, 2009
A brilliant video as always. One slight problem, the plural of octopus is really octopuses. Not octopi like stated in the video.

But I am sure this was just a small oversight from a man as great as yourself ;)

ExplosiveSheds

Mar 9, 2009
Good review.
And like most other people commenting who arent leaving a message purely to quote something said in the review itself like parrots with ADHD, im going to leave my opinion.
Its a good game. Its resi 4 with a new outfit. I couldn't care less about the inventory system,it works well enough and actually leaves you with a challenge (once you had the large case in Resi 4 you were pretty much set, providing you could actually aim).
If you liked resi 4, buy it. If you don't, keep it to yourself.

Stylish_Robot

Dec 29, 2008
While I did love the game (3rd 1000/1000, WOO!), I agree with Sheva's love of the handgun at the start but if you instead gave her a rifle, she's an incredibly good shot. And I always found it curious why your melee and bulletproof armor are in your inventory

vviki

Lord of Midnless DPS
Mar 17, 2009
Spawn_Of_Kyuss said:
Triple-c*nted hooker strikes again.
Hip, Hip, Hooray for the triple-cunted hooker!

P.S. Let me quote Yahtzee here: "By the way, it's alright, you can swear on the internet, your mum probably isn't going to read it. I know, because she's too busy beng fucked. By ME."

bootwhistle

Mar 25, 2009
Another great weekly dose of hilarity... though the though struck me that while I do agree with most of what Zero Punctuation goes on about in the gaming industry... the lack of good games has really left me quite amazed. The most consistent theme in ZP reviews are unimaginative games designed without any real thought put into the fun 'game' part. I may not be the most serious gamer but I find in surprising that there has yet to really be a title that I was actually excited about.
I've actually found some of the really simple games more entertaining... starcraft, deus ex, freelancer... moon lander.

Silversavage

Mar 25, 2009
i'm sorry i always had respect for you but now i have come to the conclusion that ur shit at gaming... Really the inventory is no problem at all and the AI of Sheva isn't as bad as you say, she hardly ever used a pistol with me. Right when you began with saying that RE1 was shit i knew that this was going wrong. Sorry i liked every review of you but this one made me believe that you are not good at gaming...at all.

HadesWTF

Jun 4, 2008
LMFAO. HEY YATZEE, GOT SOMETHING THAT MIGHT INTEREST YA! HEHEHEHEHEEE

It was hilarious and not overdone with hatred, a good balance that left a fan like myself laughing and not complaining.

Supposedly they are re-inventing the series again next game. We will see....

Kanashe

May 8, 2008
Alright. Let's see...Four pages and half of the posts are just pointless praizeing by the Yahtzee sheep. Now let's see what can I say bout this review. Well, for once it's not funny in any way, the jokes are just 'meh', and the witty remarks are mostly "Yeah, you said that before" (if any of you Yahztee sheep wanna blead on me saying I'm wrong, then fuck you.), now the bad jokes/writty analogies aside, the review itselfe wasn't much. I mean alot of people already said RE5 felt like RE4, but cut down, so bassicly Yahtzee didn' say anythin' new, and just what already has been said. Also brining the racist thing, I wanted to mention this durin' the 50Cent game, but fuck it, I'll say it now. I don't know if Yahtzee is just a moron, or did he skip logic, but whenever you defend yourselfe/excuse sayin' your not racist. It mostly ends up backwards, plus Yahtzee kinda showed on how much his 'not racist' by tossin' racial jokes left and right. If he wasn' racist as he claimed as he was, he woulden' have defended himselfe.

msremmert

Mar 18, 2009
I was hoping this would be reviewed.
Right on. You have summed up my hatred of the inventory system brilliantly.

daftalchemist

Aug 6, 2008
I'm really glad I'm not the only person who thinks RE4 is better than RE5. That Sheva chick is god awful, truly. Ashley was much better. Even if she didn't necessarily help you out a lot you could just stuff her in a dumpster until the danger was gone and then bring her back out. Sheva is just *too* damn "helpful". I once loaded a new area to have her run off somewhere, come running back, yell at the top of her lungs "ARE YOU OK??!!1" and then spray me in the face with first aid spray when I was a little over half health.

SatansBestBuddy

Sep 7, 2007
I was playing this game with a friend who had never played RE4, and the entire time I was rambiling on about how RE4 did everything RE5 did, but better.

Seriously, everything that's wrong with RE5 was something they did right in RE4, but had to change in order to fit co-op into the game or to please the fans who were crying for the change and really should have just shut up.

For example, in RE4, you had to pause to change weapons or heal or fiddle around a bit to pick up that cool new gun you just found but have no room for.

This meant that you were always right in the thick of the action, but people complained because it meant that you were taken out of the action while you sorted items.

In RE5, it's all realtime, so if you have to do some invintory managment, you have to RUN AWAY FROM THE ACTION, praying you don't die while you mix herbs or equip that sixth gernade that takes up its own spot and when you use it your unarmed all of a sudden.

So now, instead of always being in the action, which is what people want, you have to run and hide, which is what people wanted.

And that's just one example, I could name a dozen other things that they did right by RE4 but changed for RE5 and made it a worse game for it.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
"Capcom aren't bad people, they're just idiots."

No argument here. If you plan on playing alone you'd be better off getting punched in the dick....repeatedly.

At least that way you'll get the same experience without losing $60 and hours of your life.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
SatansBestBuddy said:
I was playing this game with a friend who had never played RE4, and the entire time I was rambiling on about how RE4 did everything RE5 did, but better.

Seriously, everything that's wrong with RE5 was something they did right in RE4, but had to change in order to fit co-op into the game or to please the fans who were crying for the change and really should have just shut up.

For example, in RE4, you had to pause to change weapons or heal or fiddle around a bit to pick up that cool new gun you just found but have no room for.

This meant that you were always right in the thick of the action, but people complained because it meant that you were taken out of the action while you sorted items.

In RE5, it's all realtime, so if you have to do some invintory managment, you have to RUN AWAY FROM THE ACTION, praying you don't die while you mix herbs or equip that sixth gernade that takes up its own spot and when you use it your unarmed all of a sudden.

So now, instead of always being in the action, which is what people want, you have to run and hide, which is what people wanted.

And that's just one example, I could name a dozen other things that they did right by RE4 but changed for RE5 and made it a worse game for it.
The "Live" aspect of the inventory system isn't that bad. I normally spend free time reorganizing my items so that I'm prepared if the shit starts to fly and I'm not working on dealing with it when there's dozens of Africans in my face. However, the SMALLNESS of the inventory and lack of ease in exchanging items is what's annoying people the most. And the fact that herbs can't be stacked and that ammo has punishingly small capacity (only 50 bullets in 1 gun ammo slot??) only exacerbate the problem.

bootwhistle

Mar 25, 2009
incal11 said:
Noone got banned at the start of the thread;
natural selection works.
Uhm, actually in this particular example it was intelligent design by 'Mod'... unfortunately there are no natural predators of internet a$$holes ... I just realized that statement can sooo be used out of context.

SmilingKitsune

Dec 16, 2008
Thanks a lot Yahtzee, now my key board is covered in tea, I really have to stop watching Zero Punctuation with a drink in hand.

Inriri

Jun 4, 2008
Great review.

I'm playing through it right now and I'm having a blast. Sheva was moronic at the beginning, but honestly, if you take her gun away and give her a machine gun and rifle, she's a goddamn monster. I've seen her switch to rifle to pick off manjini from far away (scoring headshots too no less) and then using burst fires when they got close. She's even staggered a couple and ran up to melee, which I thought was awesome. Maybe I'm just lucky that the ai that came with my game is smarter than the average bear.

My only qualm with the inventory is the fact that Chris has a holster designed to hold a pistol, yet it still takes up a slot. Other than that, it does add a certain degree of (albeit artificial) challenge when it comes to deciding if that extra item is truly worth losing a slot.

Oh, and my take on the armor in armor: It takes up a slot because the armor is covering one of their magical pockets