Zero Punctuation: Resident Evil 5

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Yosho-sama said:
How exactly is someone "a bit" black? *glares at Yahtzee*
Don't get hung up with names, you can hardly say Sheva is representative of Sub Saharan Africa, even ignoring skin tone her face does not have the strongest African features, much more North African and Middle Eastern. I have not played the game but she doesn't seem to add much of an African flavour to the game though I wonder if that is more down to incompetence of the developers in capturing the zeitgeist of an African woman.

We can all be immature about this or we can just grow up and accept that we are all different yet people from the same part of the world have some common superficial features. I don't see what the big deal is. Black, white, male, female, vulcan, who cares?

But when people start associating personalities with races (ie, "acting black") then that is racism and there are not enough hours in the day for that bullshit.

bumbum

Mar 25, 2009
DoomBlackDragon said:
stiver said:
Resident Evil 2 is still the best game in the series.
110% agrea with this statement. It was also the most scaries. Have not playied not sence I felt 4 was got so much over hype for CC butchered game. Was not expecting 5 to be this super awsome game. Sadly RE is dead like SH is dead. Funny it seems horror games alway hit thier peak at the 2nd game. Yahtzee made me thing of RE5 sound like it was the outbreak with a plot. Lol with the 4 perso co op zombie survile bonus for beating the game. You might as well play CoD WaW for nazi zombies.
I also agree with your sentiment about RE2 and SH2, but I'm guessing that a lot of younger folks would find the control systems almost unplayable by todays standards.

It was always the plot that drove these games: the controls were incidental and nothing to write home about. Now the controls are pin-sharp and accurate, but the story and the characterisation can feel a bit soulless. RE5 isn't really that bad story-wise (the usual convoluted B movie fare) and it provides a decent amount of background info in the 'Files'... it's just that a lot of games recently feel like they are all loosely following the same formula. There is so much emphasis on action, spectacle and multiplayer - there seems to be less of the psychological stuff - the truly memorable stuff.

/rambles on...

I'm probably just playing the wrong games :)

PeterDawson

Feb 10, 2009
You know, aside from the not changing weapons thing (which can be avoided by taking away her other weapons) Sheva worked fine for me. I honestly don't get why people don't like her, based on my experience anyhow.

I didn't mind the inventory much, but I would happily agree with the armor comments.

Oh, and given the point of the tribal-style characters and the area, I disagree on that being an, "Oh dear." Not gonna rant a bunch about it though. Capcom's a big boy.

DracheLehre

Feb 26, 2009
I had a feeling a las plagas thing was coming up... and I wasn't dissapointed... Capcom has a nack for reusing concepts...

Yosho-sama

Mar 25, 2009
I personally think that if I were to take offense to this game, it'd be that it makes women look like idiots. The AI makes Sheva instantly hateable.

Oh, and point missed by Yahtzee. The fact that they chose black people to be the first zombies with guns... easily confused by stupid people as racism.

Jay619

Oct 8, 2008
think yahzboi missed the bit about using the cover and attack commands to make your partner change from using light weapons to heavy weapons, aka cover means pistol and attack means machinegun if thats what he was giving the scatty chick; damn ammo whore that she is =/

Yosho-sama

Mar 25, 2009
Jay619 said:
think yahzboi missed the bit about using the cover and attack commands to make your partner change from using light weapons to heavy weapons, aka cover means pistol and attack means machinegun if thats what he was giving the scatty chick; damn ammo whore that she is =/
Yeah, Yahtzee selectively misses out on a bunch of things that would make his rants less funny but that is an easy one to miss. Besides that there's no context to her usage anyways. Give her a machine gun and why ever use a pistol again. Give her a rifle and she'll use the shotgun from any range.

Glerken

Dec 18, 2008
It was good, but the jokes are getting old. You can only use the triple cunted hooker joke so many times before it stops being funny.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
LOL. great review. resident evil 4 sucks big time. i cant get it why people like RE 4. its shit all over. boring graphics, horrible controls, monsters look like junkies, boring story, absolutly shit to make it short.
and now we have part 5 which is even more crap. i knew it. so as people told me, its like RE 4.
how the hell can you play a game like this with this fucked up controls. no sideway walking, cant walk wile aiming, WTF??? no one walks like this. in a action game, sideway walking is a must have to survive.
yes, capcom are idiots.

Kurt Horsting

Jul 3, 2008
RE1 remake is the scariest, Re4 was the most fun, have yet to play 5. Good work Yahtzee. I think he should review dawn of war 2. It would be the first RTS he'd review, and its a weird one of the genre too (unless your a COH fan). And since he makes fun of Space Marines a lot, it would be fun to see how he comments on the original space marines.

Dr.Doctor

Nov 5, 2008
I think people are being too harsh on the AI. Sure the healing is a little annoying, it would probably be better if they made a "heal" command or something(then again, the controls are clunky enough as it is). But when Yahtzee talked about Sheva using the pistol, it's beacuse she was set in "cover mode". That has her using her weakest gun, and if you use "attack mode" she pulls out her stongest weapon. I actually really liked that, it means you can have her save her good gun for harder parts and the pistol for the easy parts.

Captnhaggis

Feb 22, 2009
I've played 5, and the biggest problem (which I was amazed yahtzee didn't mention) was the controls. I absolutely hated them. Whose decision was it to require the player to hold down two buttons at once to fire? Every time I got surprised by another sneaky zombie, I found myself yanking impotently on the right trigger and pleading with the muscly TV man to shoot his goddamn gun.

Aidoc

Nov 12, 2008
It's amazing how people here are unable to think for themselves. Posts by people who obviously haven't even played this amazing game are just agreeing with Yahtzee like a bunch of stupid sheep. This is a GOOD GAME, Yahtzee just has to hate on everything or his site wouldn't get any traffic.

Don't get me wrong, I love Yahtzee and his reviews. They are always a good listen, and even though I'm a fan of the game, some of the jokes were genuinely funny. Still, don't be a fool and miss out on the game just because of his review. It's much better than he's portraying it to be, especially with a co-op partner.