Zero Punctuation: Resident Evil 6

Jasper Kazai

Dec 8, 2007
Now, I don't give two shits about RE, but one thing that I found odd:
Kotaku and now this have been the only two outlets I've seen that spoiler-tagged the "extra campaign" thing. Every single other thing I've read about the game have just blatantly stated who/what it is. So, do people just think it doesn't deserve a spoiler tag, or what? And why then bother censoring it if everyone else isn't?

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Leon Kennedy? Outspoken misogynist? I must have missed the part of the game where Leon said he hated women. When did he get that label?

striderkiwi

Jul 15, 2010
Another horrible review from Yahtzee from a series he's clearly uber biased about. I don't know why I expected anything better from him...

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Founding a city on the moon? Guess that's one more thing he has in common with the Nazi's XD (iron sky joke)

But yeah I have no idea what so many people see in this game. It's not survival horror in the slightest, there are too many pointless bits thrown in just because without any polish, and the co-op is just as pointless as ever. In a month (or even year) with so many better offerings, why bother playing RE6 at all?

dennett316

Jun 30, 2010
striderkiwi said:
Another horrible review from Yahtzee from a series he's clearly uber biased about. I don't know why I expected anything better from him...
Of course you think he's biased little one, he has an opinion that is different to yours. Well, in a sense he is in that he has an opinion on the games...didn't stop him enjoying Resident Evil 4 though.
But you know, you'd be just as biased if you liked the thing...just in a different way.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Daniel Ford said:
To be fair RE:3 ended with a nuke.
Maybe the whole game series should have ended with that nuke too?

daxterx2005 said:
First Jim reviewed it, now Yahtzee? Can Bob be next please? XD
I think that could be a Big Picture episode, but I'm not sure what Bob could say the 1st two guys haven't already.

And I'm not holding my breath for an XCOM review; it's a strategy game and a remake, two game types Yahtzee isn't a fan of (see HALO WARS and Syndicate).

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
rembrandtqeinstein said:
I hated the first 3 resident evils and would have probably hated 4 on gamecube. But on the Wii RE4 was brilliant because you could AIM with the wiimote.

Plus when I played through it I was working on a kidney stone so I had the immersive feeling of a foreign body tearing up my insides the whole time.
This.

I pretty much gave up on RE5 after about three stages because the controls just felt so unplayable (seriously, Chris is an elite military soldier, but he doesn't know how to strafe!? Or even move while aiming!?), especially after Capcom pretty much nailed the controls for RE4: Wii Edition.

The demo for RE6 felt like 1/3 of a good game. I really liked Leon's segment (well, mostly), I guess because it was closest to RE4's style. Chris's segment I wasn't overly keen on, as it basically felt like it was trying to be a Call of Duty/Gears of War type game, but with the worst, loosest control scheme imaginable. Jake's segment I just found unplayable and (once again) gave up on it after about five minutes.

Sorry Capcom, you can add all the flashy, mister fancy-pants production values you want, but if your gameplay sucks, then the game sucks.

Studsmack

Sep 28, 2012
From what I've played, mostly Mercenaries mode and a bit of Leon's co-op campaign, Resident Evil 6 is not that bad. It certainly lacks a certain polish to it that I'm used to seeing in these bigger budgeted games, especially disheartening when realizing it is coming from Capcom.

Also, I'm sticking to the fact that playing co-op with complete strangers can only be a recipe for disaster... that, and eventually an aneurysm.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
So here is a game where one of the biggest complaints is that the AI partner is too competent compared to a human partner. WHO WOULDA THUNK IT?

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
baseracer said:
Ok, I'm gonna bite.

Why didn't Yathzee play local co op? That's loads of fun and you don't get idiots that are online.
Yahtzee believes any full priced game must stand up on single-player alone. To a point I agree. I'm kinda wondering if it would be that much harder to just make 2 versions of a puzzle with and without co-op requirements and to make alternate cutscenes that benefit from the other person being there but doesn't alter the story.

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
striderkiwi said:
One question, do you like the game?

Then the review shouldn't bother you.

secondly, Yahtzee LIKED Call of Duty 4.

2clueless

Clueless since 2003
Apr 11, 2012
Zukipuu said:
I see that planet Earth chuggin on a bottle of Clorox there... nicely played.
I do not know whether the idea was done as a reference in bad taste, or out of complete ignorance. But.. much too soon, and so not cool. I couldn't watch the rest of the video after that.

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
well my opinion on resident evil six have been revamped thrice now. i might just get it just so i can play as some monster and mess up some poor jerks game in multiplayer(mindjack anyone?).

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
MegaManOfNumbers said:
Demonio Penguino said:
"Capcom games are never very well written"
Ahem.
*Points to Phoenix Wright series*
There are always exceptions.
Also, it's one franchise out of many, including Megaman, Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry, Resident Evil, Ghosts & Goblins, Street Fighter (hah!), Darkstalkers, Bionic Commando, Sengoku Basara, Viewtiful Joe, Final Fight, Dead Rising, and Lost Planet.

OT: Yeah, I've never cared about RE as a franchise. Nothing about it ever really excited me, and they really just seem to re-tread the same ground over and over in each game. They're even just constantly re-using the old characters. There's a certain point where you've gotta break away from the norm here, guys.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
The "S" stands for Scott. I'm surprised he didn't recall the frequent usage of "Mr. Scott Kennedy" in 4.