Zero Punctuation: Resistance 3

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Great review. Looks like Resistance 3 is the game the Duke Nukem Forever should have been, at least in mechanics department is more Duke Nukem than DNF.

MajWound

Mar 18, 2009
This is one of those few moments when I had zero interest in playing a game, but Yahtzee convinced me otherwise. If this game is anything like Half Life 2 (which I sadly only JUST got around to beating), I must play.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
WanderingFool said:
Makes sense, Yahtzee cant give a truely positive review... it would have the effect of dividing by 0...
See the orange box review. He can't because then he would have to jab forks into his eyes.

OT: Insomniac just did what they did with their ratchet and clank games, so no ripping off. Yatzee should probably have a look at them.

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
hermes200 said:
Also, the whole anagram thing with Combines and Insomniac is a little far-fetched...
I thought it was pretty obvious he was exaggarating on purpose. Guess not.

OT: This one was brilliant, simply brilliant.

Dutch 924

Making the impossible happen!
Dec 8, 2010
Quite a funny review today

Also, Metro 2033? I wonder what Yahtzee thought of that game. I thought it was fairly underrated.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
One of my friends was a big fan of Resistance 1, so I'm glad to see the game is more like that one... which in turn is modelled around Half-Life 2... my mind is jello right now.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
If this wasn't a PS3 exclusive, or alternatively if I owned a PS3, I'd purchase this game based solely on this review.
Soviet Heavy said:
Wait a minute! THE SCIENTIST HAS A BEARD!
The Escapist needs to add forum signatures so I can sig the hell out of that comment.

psicat said:
But wait a minute wasn't Half Life 2 also basically just a rip off of Halo: Combat Evolved. They are both FPS with non regenerating health. Both have silent protagonist in a power suit is the only one who can save humanity from the aliens, along with his perky female companion. And, of course both game titles start with an H, so Valve must of copied Bungie, and in turn they now get copied by Insomniac.
I really wish this comment wasn't intended as a joke so I could refute it, dammit.

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
Very nice review; you can almost see Yahtzee's thought processes as he was playing the game.

"Oh hoo-bloody-ray, another mediocre retooling of Halo covered in dirt...half a tick, are they actually requiring me to use health kits? Huh, well that's a bit unexpected. Oh great, a brand new gun to use, so which one am I going to drop to make room for...I can carry THAT one too? Huh...this is actually looking up! Sure the story's pretty flimsy but at least it's fun to -play-, going around this abandoned town, shooting zombies and...is that a crazy priest? This is starting to remind me of something...come to think of it, aliens, giant hole in space, possessed humans...oh bloody hell, it's a Half-Life 2 rip off!"

Gotta agree with Yahtzee, it's not a bad idea to emulate those who have been successful, but there's a point beyond which it stops being following an example and begins to be just shamelessly copying something to the letter.

vehystrix

Nov 18, 2009
You sure that this wasn't just HL EP3 you played?
for all we know, that's where they've been hiding it...

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Actually they didn't rip off HL2, Insomniac Games have been doing this kind of gameplay since the first Ratchet and Clank game.

Being a big fan of the first two Resistance games I'm actually quite surprised he gave this one a good "review". I was going to buy it anyway, but it's nice to know he enjoyed it.

Delicious Anathema said:
More brown games...
Uhhh, Resistance 3 isn't a "brown game", from my experience playing the beta the multiplayer maps in particular are very colourful. And the game also has a slighty "cartoony" look added to it to make it stand out more.

Resistance 2 wasn't brown either, the only one that was brown was the very first one.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Loved the end credits:

I counter your Jimi Hendrix with... MAGGIE THATCHER!!
Yahtzee counters her with... *insert viewer's face*

Priceless!

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Wow a good review. I'm shocked. Just to let you know, none of the previous Resistances had 2 gun limits or completely regenerating health either. And the guns have always been creative. I think they steal it from the games they've always made :D

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
This last third of 2011 is more based on its massive number of sequels. Even Batman: Arkham City and Saints Row The Third, likely to contend for Yatzee's GOTY they are, are sequels.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
That was an... unusual review this week but it made me laugh the whole time, especially the ending.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
Well, the first game didn't have totally regenerating health. It was like... four quarters of a health bar, and you'd regenerate up to one quarter, and it had a weapon wheel. The second one sank a lot down into the two-weapons and regenerating health part, but a lot of the fanbase didn't like it, so I'm pretty sure this is just a bounce-back from the second game rather than a ripoff of any other. (Yes, I am a fanboy...) That said... I laughed my head off at beard thing.

I definitely had a Ravenholm feel from the one village part, especially considering the leapers remind me of headcrabs. I was playing co-op at the time and I told my brother "Where's a crowbar when you need one?"

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
Kopikatsu said:
Anyway- I hadn't even noticed all the similarities between HL2 and Resistance 3. What're the chances that it's coincidence? (Probably not likely, but still.)
The chances are actually pretty good. I mean, hell, this is assuming that Half-life's story could be called original.

Nice review. Oddly... favorable. Not exactly what I expected.