Zero Punctuation: Resistance 3

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
Sudenak said:
Damn. Had my hopes up that a game was finally pushing ahead with nice game mechanics, only to learn that it's basically ripping off HL2. Hopefully it's just a massive coincidence and we'll once more see an FPS that doesn't require you to suck your thumb in a corner.

Until then, I'll cling to my Heretic and Hexen and gaze longingly at next-gen graphics.
If they have to rip off something, it might as well be Half Life 2.

Skyy High

Dec 6, 2009
Sudenak said:
Damn. Had my hopes up that a game was finally pushing ahead with nice game mechanics, only to learn that it's basically ripping off HL2.
You say this like it's a bad thing....also, considering how few other FPS games are "like" HL2, and how many FPS games aren't, I'd say the genre can fit another game with similar mechanics. Particularly when they work so well.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
LordJiro said:
Don't be silly, Yahtzee, Insomniac isn't COMPLETELY ripping off Valve. They can count to three, for one.
Mwahahaha :>

Ep3 quote, first page. Valve really got to get their act together.

OT: Great review, definitely wont buy the game.

CarlMin

Jun 6, 2010
This was a very original Zero Punctuation episode in some way. I can't really put my finger on the difference between this episode and the other episodes we've seen lately.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Ah, so it IS true that Yahtzee doesn't like a game unless it resembles one of his favourites.

Wait... I forgot the Driver: San Francisco review. Well, there goes my insult down the drain...

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
This episode actually made me laugh. I love Yahtzee's ADHD nature in this one as he dances between praising it and hating it constantly. You know what? I might actually play this one.

Might.

CronoT

May 15, 2010
Yahtzee may be joking, but I'm not surprised. Sony's entire business model from day one for the PlayStation brand has been "Rip off ideas from a better company."

catalyst8

Oct 29, 2008
Re. the closing credits, in the interests of humanity I feel obliged to post this:

Is Thatcher Dead Yet? [http://www.isthatcherdeadyet.co.uk/]

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Sudenak said:
Damn. Had my hopes up that a game was finally pushing ahead with nice game mechanics, only to learn that it's basically ripping off HL2. Hopefully it's just a massive coincidence and we'll once more see an FPS that doesn't require you to suck your thumb in a corner.

Until then, I'll cling to my Heretic and Hexen and gaze longingly at next-gen graphics.
I... uh... what? Have you never played a shooter with health kits, unlimited weapon carrying potential, and no cover system before? That's not pushing ahead, mechanics-wise. It's just ignoring things some people have complained about in other AAA shooter titles.
*Sigh* Are we really at the stage at which including mechanics that any other game has made use of will draw accusations of copying it? In that case, Forza totally ripped off lego racers. They both have customisable cars that you use in an attempt to beat your opponents to the finish line.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Jesus... Did Yahtzee actually.... like.... something?? :p

Funniest one he's done in a while and I loved it, loved how he switched it up with all the 'Wait a second!!' accusations :p

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Heh. That was more entertaining than most of the other ZP's, it seemed to have a bit more comedy to it than point-and-rip style criticism.

J03bot said:
[snip]
*Sigh* Are we really at the stage at which including mechanics that any other game has made use of will draw accusations of copying it? In that case, Forza totally ripped off lego racers. They both have customisable cars that you use in an attempt to beat your opponents to the finish line.
This has been my reasoning for a while now. Why is it only Games are given the "You just copied [x] you loser!" treatment? Surely if something makes for entertaining gameplay then it should be integrated into other games right? Like not having to take the wall out for three dates, meeting it's parents and getting an HIV test before you can brush against it.

Do people say the same for Car Companies? If Ford uses something Toyota just implemented are they copy cats? No, seriously, do car enthusiast make this accusation too or is this just when it comes to software / games?

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Loved the gripes at modern shooters. However, any shooter that has regenerating health and a lot of weapons isn't ripping off half-life. In that case there are a hell of a lot of shooters that ripped off half-life long before half-life ever came out...

Dec 27, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
DrunkenElfMage said:
Holy crap... was that a positive review? It almost seemed like Yahtzee didn't know what to do with himself, kinda like a Nazi on a desert island who has run out of different races and religeons to blame all of the Islands problems on.

Wait a second! Yahtzee... Nazi... they both end with a ZEE! Where did YOU hide the body Mr. Crowshaw!?!?!?
Godwin's Law ALREADY? That seriously has to be some kind of record. Really, it does.
Godwin's Law refers to the likely-hood of Hitler being used as a comparison point in an online discussion/ argument, not a somewhat funny, joke analogy made as a comment on video.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
LordJiro said:
Don't be silly, Yahtzee, Insomniac isn't COMPLETELY ripping off Valve. They can count to three, for one.
Well played and thank you for making me laugh.

I'm surprised Yahtzee didn't include a similar joke in his review. He almost always makes a "where's Episode 3?" jab when he talks about Valve.

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
Definitely in agreement here. If you're going to rip someone else off, at least it was Valve.

They could have ripped off a much worse FPS.

I doubt the rest of the "3"s this year will follow suit.

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
I just want to say this, LOL.

Haven't done that for a review in a long time

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
played the game and it was complete rubbish...
BUUUTTTT then again maybe that's cuz I was attempting to play with the Move gun peripheral...
come to think of it SOCOM 4(?) and Killzone 3 both sucked incredibly as well...but again I was using Move

so okay I dunno about the games themselves, they might be quite good actually. but Move sucks hahaha