Zero Punctuation: Ride to Hell: Retribution

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Jman1236 said:
Never heard of this game, and THANK GOD I NEVER DID OR CARE FOR IT!!!!

Also, I thought Superman 64 was the plan 9 of video games.
I still think Superman 64 to be worse, at least Ride to Hell Retribution can be funny from how bad it is, Superman 64 is just a plain bad. But E.T. is still superior to these, I think, as at least the game work correctly, too bad the game still too complex even for most modern gamer to understand, it seem, has most seem to be completely incompetent at playing it when they LP it. Not that the gameplay of E.T. isn't bad, I just don't think it merit it reputation has the worse game ever, has most of the reputation seem to come been unintuitive, instead of been broken, like most other awful games.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
It's good to see Yahtzee enjoying a game, because of how bad it is, and not enjoying a game because of how good it is.

I can't help but imagine he was doing the reviews with a pair of oversized glasses on, while drinking a PBR...maybe even wearing a plaid shirt, and a pair of jorts...while admiring his newest sleeve tattoo...

In anycase sounds like the type of game that would be fun to pick up for <$5, and design a drinking game around. Perhaps I'll try to arrange this for my friends and I thanks for the recommendation.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
At 02:35 in the video, in the cutscene with no background music, the character on the left abruptly and without fanfare grows breasts.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I never understood the appeal of bad games. Unlike bad movies, where you can just watch and be amazed at the sheer stupidity of it all, you actually have to do something when playing video games, you know, being an interactive medium and all, and when you're having trouble playing the game because of it's crappy controls and features, how, exactly, do you get enjoyment out of that?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Looked at the feedback for this game, and it's getting universally paddled. One reviewer gave it a 0.5 and said that the best thing about the game was the pause screen. Ouch.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Magog1 said:
PedalTank said:
So it's so bad it's good....

AWESOME!! THAT'S THE SOLE REASON I WATCH MOVIES!
No trolling intended, and I don't mean this in the "your gay" because you like crap, but the only people I know who consistently go around looking for "so bad it's good" are gay people. I knew this kid named Roger Nystrom who did this crap. Watched both bardy bunch movies. IN THE THEATER!

later in life he turned out to be gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that sir,
but i'm just preparing you. ^^.
What

W

Wha

What

O...okay

OT:
This is a game?

Wait, really? Guess I'll have to watch someone else play it... I don't know if it's possible to do it without cringing a lot though

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Casual Shinji said:
I just watched Two Best Friends play this literally seconds after coming here and seeing you reviewing the same damn thing.

It's too much.
Ugh I tried watching that. Those guys are way too loud. Not Pewdiepie annoying but getting there.
It depends which video you get them on to be honest. Their look at Ride to Hell: Retribution was pretty poor because they only spent about 50% of the video talking about the game even though it was easily comedy gold material from the first frame.

Their most amusing videos for me have been the terrible Silent Hill entries and anything Metal Gear. Pat's knowledge of the franchises is quite impressive and his comments can be quite insightful, especially when he brings the games down because he actually knows what he's talking about.

But yeah, I can see how they might get on your nerves after a while!

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I know what you're trying to do Yahtzee. You feel like an idiot for purchasing this game, so in order to feel better about yourself you want to manipulate us into buying it :D

Not gonna happen.

Jan 12, 2012
Shjade said:
Jman1236 said:
Never heard of this game, and THANK GOD I NEVER DID OR CARE FOR IT!!!!

Also, I thought Superman 64 was the plan 9 of video games.
No, Superman 64 is just so bad it's horrible. It's not even fun to watch someone else suffer through playing it.

FightingFurball said:
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Because every so often, Yahtzee throws away all pretense of being a respectable critic and takes a delightful shit on some truly worthy property (See: the first Duke Nukem Forever review).
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1968-Viewers-Choice-Duke-Nukem-Forever
I think he meant http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/3581-Duke-Nukem-Forever-for-real-this-time
No, Fighting Furball was right, although both videos are good.

scienceguy8

Sep 1, 2008
Video will not play as of 3:20 PM EST.

200, Stream not found, NetStream.Play.StreamNotFound, clip: '[Clip] 'http://video.escapistmagazine.com/links/766d9ea2d7d02d7e2dec3a7c47146f9d/mp4/escapist/zero-punctuation/03f315f5e33b50a39ac35c600b391a91.mp4''

Edit: never mind, working again

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
On the bright side, unlike The Last Of Us, it doesn't promise a protagonist and story that is gripping, and then throws it away in the last minute to demonstrate the protagonist is the biggest cock in any game ever.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I love it when Yahtzee reviews an obviously bad game, just to let off some steam (NOPUNINTENDED!) and to use such wonderful tricks of phrase, like stretching out the way to say "shoot fish in a barrel". It's like this game couldn't decide if it wanted to be Sons of Anarchy or that Tim Schaefer-mad LucasArts game. I haven't watched many Let's Plays of bad games; are they as hilarious as Yahtzee described?

As for the Last of Us backlash, I think it came down to personal taste, and Yahtzee's didn't go for a game trying to transparently be "art" by shooting for the "True Art is Depressing" and "True Art is Angstsy" tropes (whose pages I will not link here for the good of your productivity today). For that matter, I've seen one of my friends play it at his house, and it doesn't appeal to me at all, and from what I heard about the ending, it's a waste of my time spent playing more fulfilling and entertaining games. If Yahtzee didn't already cover Games as Art in one of his Extra Punctuation columns, I think this is fodder for a future one.

Saika Renegade

Nov 18, 2009
What's rather odd is that this has one of those stock sequel subtitles on the end but, as far as I can tell, isn't actually a sequel to anything. Apparently it was once a single game that was cancelled, then brought back to life as three separate games, none of which seem to be any good if the gameplay videos are any clue.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Vie said:
It's Plan 9 from outer space bad?

Jesus, who did they get to pretend they did the QA?
[sarcasm]What is a QA?[/sarcasm]

OT:

This is the Yahtzee I started coming here for. The guy who plays shit games and tells you how bad they were.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
I watched an 11:30 LP of this game.
http://www.twitch.tv/gameinformer/b/423718358

Yeah...its that bad

I mean even going back 10 years I would expect better. This game is definitely something that was shelved long ago and once the cleaner was on vacation the hired replacement opened "the forbidden zone". And yet this game out of that dark dank zone somehow was brought out.

Is it bad? Yes its really bad! And I can judge that from watching a long boring painful lets play :!