Zero Punctuation: Serious Sam 3: BFE

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
What a good video to start(so to speak) 2012 with.

Got a few chuckles off and I'm glad Serious Sam didn't go mainstream and remained a good old school shooter from back in the day,as it would seem like it.

Haven't said it in the last video comment,but Happy New Year Yahtzee!

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
SilversunFire said:
I MUST KNOW THE RECIPIENT OF "The Copulating Jelly Baby Award for F***ing Sweet Game" AWARD!!!
If I may play at being Johnny Carson, I'm guessing that The Bastion is going to get Yahtzee's nonexistent top game of the year reward.

Although Portal 2 is another candidate, because all of Yahtzee's complaints could be summed up as "Not as good as Portal 1." And in terms of praising-with-nitpicking, that's a pretty solid recommendation.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
chronobreak said:
Meh, was really hoping for Dark Souls. Maybe next week.
This

Y U NO DARK SOULS Review .

OT: I am dissapointed that it didn't meet yahtzees standards, i was waiting for this review to decide if i was going to get it or not. Guess i'll pass up on this game then.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
It's true, all the new parts are cumbersome and feel out of place, and all the good parts are just copy pasted from the old games.
They really didn't put much thought behind this, which sounds strange for a brainless fun game but before it becomes that there needs to be damn well designed.

Yoshemo

Jun 23, 2009
What a coincidence! I just got done playing a Serious Sam game for the first time and this review pops up. Neat!

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Meh. I have no love or nostalgia for "classic" or "retro" style FPS games. In my view there is a reason things aren't done that way anymore. But to those that enjoy this kind of game I hope this one lives up to your expectations. And I'm all for choice in the marketplace, so I'm glad SS3 is out there, even if it's not there for me.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Lovely game..

As in yes it is hard as nails old fashioned.. yeah it is not making excuses
Remember Duke Nukem Forever? Well if that was closer to BFE at least we had an enjoyable experience.

Nah I like this game, it is what it is.. there!

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
I hope he doesn't decided to put his "Top 5 Games of 2011" or whatever thingie on Extra Punctuation, like he did with the E3 Hype Massacre last year.

I guess it's okay because I haven't laughed this much at a review in a while. I'm not sure why, but the orbiting missile shooting armchair is what got me.

Stavros Dimou

Mar 15, 2011
This game goes further than providing nostalgic pleasure.
I never played a Serious Sam game before,and this one reminded me why I started playing videogames and liking the genre of FPS.
It was like a flashback,but a good one.
And I don't know about you,but I like the way the game gets harder as you progress unlike most modern shooters where you can die or kill the same easy way on map 1 and map 8.
It reminded to me that I was playing a game that was made focusing on making me have fun,not that I was watching a directed movie where I have to press buttons to keep it playing..
The mechanics that consist of its gameplay,where you have to develop different tactics for different enemies kept me interested unlike for example BF3's campaign where no matter what the enemies carry, and on which level you are,you always have to do the same thing,cover,aim,shoot.
To progress it requires you to change the way you approach each situation and that keeps feeding your brain with the feeling of freshness,and I didn't felt it became dull or boring like I felt when I had completed about 5 missions in BF3.
If someone is interested more on a single player,I think he would have better experience with ss3 than bf3,but bf3 is all about multiplayer anyway.

DoomBlackDragon

Sep 13, 2008
While Yahtzee may have found this game to be between ok to good. I know it is so much better then Jurassic Park : The Hard raid want a be..... I mean Jurassic Park : The game.

While I really do not mind it just being a remake of Serious Sam 1 with a new engine and graphics. I still like the old fashine kill spree games. So sick of all the Battlefield style of games. I so want them to go back to Doom Style. While war games here and there a nice. I think they are best published few here and there.

It is no fun sitting around letting me arm regrow while I suck on my thumb. I just want to run around shooting things with a BIG FUCK GUN. If I need help. Run as super sonic speeds to the nearest health pack.

I blame Multiplayer for killing the FPS gaming.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
I get the feeling that Yahtzee really likes Painkiller.

In any case, I'm happy to see Shooter Season 2011(12) over. Maybe now we can move on and... hum...

Fuck, Christmas is over so I guess there won't be any decent releases for the next months :/

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
I was actually wondering what "BFE" meant, actually. I was thinking something like "Big Fucking Explosions", although "Biscuit Fortification Experiment" sounds cooler! XD

Well, he didn't really like it, but he didn't hate it, so that's something in its favor. It's like he said, if it had tried to reinvent anything, it would have been better. And I kind of get the impression that Yahtzee would have had a higher opinion of the game if the first part hadn't been a gray-ish corridor shooter.

I hope the next game he reviews is "The Binding of Issac". I think it's a difficult (but never punishingly) little game, but, just for fun, I would like to see what Yahtzee would think of it.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
As much as I like Serious Sam, I think I'll stick with TFE and TSE HD since very little seems to have been added to the SS formula aside from more reloading and a sprint fuction. Booooooo.

It's a shame because I was actually quite excited when BFE was announced.