Zero Punctuation: Shadow of the Colossus

Amata

Mar 18, 2009
A pretty good review, although I am surprised that Yahtzee didn't mention the camera. As much as I love SotC, the camera in it is awful.

Sash'Rahaal

Feb 12, 2010
Upon reviewing the comments, I'm actually hoping Yahtzee does a ZP for Starcraft II.
Because we all know that, if you actually bother him about it to the point that he says "Fuck it." He's going to tear the game apart.
And then what will you do? You'll ***** even harder.
It'll be Brawl all over again.

LeighAlura

Aug 2, 2010
So I guess I'm not the only one who does rage-filled shot practice with whatever projectile weaponry I have on hand?

Good to know.

I should be thankful that I don't own any automatic weapons, though. God only knows what would happen if I did.

finalizer

Aug 13, 2010
Hunter.Wolf said:
Sigh, you don't seem to understand the he doesn't like RTS at all ... neither CoH nor SC2.
(I know it's an old post, w/e)

I know he wouldn't like it by pure principle of it being an RTS (He's made it plainly obvious he has little love for the genre as a whole), I was simply giving my own opinion on the matter.

NeverMemory

Aug 12, 2009
reachforthesky said:
NeverMemory said:
Well, I'd like that 5 minutes of my life back. At first I thought that it's a little odd seeing review of a game that's been out for god knows how long; I thought that maybe there is another newly released title that somehow had the exact same name or something. But I was wrong.

I've always thought that the swearing thing fits Yahtzee really well, because it sort of gives me the impression that this guy means business. But now I realized that Yahtzee only swears becuase he is a ****, a dick that like to screw every living thing on the face of the Earth.

Well, my patience with Yahtzee is running thin, so I told myself that the next time I saw something this unprofessional, I should stop watching zero-punctuation for good. I mean there was the DC tour where it's basically couple minutes watching couple dudes driving, and there is this tantrum.......enough is enough !!
Was there actually anything wrong with the video? You should be more specific about your complaint if you want anything done about it. If it was just the fact that he's reviewing an old game, there's not a lot to be done, I don't think anything (important)is really out right now that he hasn't reviewed. I could be wrong...
in my defense, all I could say is that a review should be about recently released title. The purpose of the review is to warn people about crooked game so we don't get cheated out of our money by untalented and possibly evil game developers.

This review is clearly done way pass the released date and by then people who're interested in that title has already bought it and people who hasn't bought it probably never will. I mean seriously, who here at this forum are willing to wait this long for a review about WOW or Half-life 2 before they are confident enough to give it a shot?

To sum it up, I felt that it's a waste of my time to see/hear about a review on a topic that's clearly outdated.

Redgethebat

Aug 16, 2010
There were several instances where I for one never played a game and never would of if I hadn't watch a recent review like this one or watching an old review. Portal, Metroid Prime, Kirbies' Nightmare in Dreamland, American McGee's Alice...

VideoNasty

Aug 21, 2009
still hold that FLASHBACK for the sega megadrive (better than SNES version) is one of the best games ever made.

Reborious

Dec 25, 2008
Another great review!

SO great in fact, it actually made me go out and buy a PS2 and SotC. I shit you not. (As well as Killer 7)

Zelcor

May 13, 2009
Good review. Never had a PS2 but do have a PS3 so I'm praying for a Team Ico collection. Also would anybody like to get together and start that awesome game of Hungry Hungry Hippos? Cause it must happen at least once throughout history

Lokislambda

May 7, 2010
One problem the fruit was more like a level up and the lizards were more like experience points in my opinion. It is a great game though.

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
NeverMemory said:
reachforthesky said:
NeverMemory said:
Well, I'd like that 5 minutes of my life back. At first I thought that it's a little odd seeing review of a game that's been out for god knows how long; I thought that maybe there is another newly released title that somehow had the exact same name or something. But I was wrong.

I've always thought that the swearing thing fits Yahtzee really well, because it sort of gives me the impression that this guy means business. But now I realized that Yahtzee only swears becuase he is a ****, a dick that like to screw every living thing on the face of the Earth.

Well, my patience with Yahtzee is running thin, so I told myself that the next time I saw something this unprofessional, I should stop watching zero-punctuation for good. I mean there was the DC tour where it's basically couple minutes watching couple dudes driving, and there is this tantrum.......enough is enough !!
Was there actually anything wrong with the video? You should be more specific about your complaint if you want anything done about it. If it was just the fact that he's reviewing an old game, there's not a lot to be done, I don't think anything (important)is really out right now that he hasn't reviewed. I could be wrong...
in my defense, all I could say is that a review should be about recently released title. The purpose of the review is to warn people about crooked game so we don't get cheated out of our money by untalented and possibly evil game developers.

This review is clearly done way pass the released date and by then people who're interested in that title has already bought it and people who hasn't bought it probably never will. I mean seriously, who here at this forum are willing to wait this long for a review about WOW or Half-life 2 before they are confident enough to give it a shot?

To sum it up, I felt that it's a waste of my time to see/hear about a review on a topic that's clearly outdated.
Look at the comment by Reborious just below you (he ran out and bought a PS2 and this game because of this review). Now make a note of why your comment is pretty weak. Just because a game happens to be 5 years old doesn't mean it's completely irrelevant. There is no reason why we shouldn't look back at our favorite games to remember what it is that makes a great game in the first place.

Yahtzee did that. What did you do? You whined. I'm not exactly sure what you think the point of that is.

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
BTW, you can play Shadows of the Collosus in HD, on your computer, with an emulator. Not a lot of people realize this.

Nocturnal Gentleman

Mar 12, 2010
I never liked this game. It was probably one of the biggest disappointments I've ever experienced. The controls were horrible, the graphics were not anything special, the soundtrack wasn't memorable, the story was bland, and the game play was yawn-worthy. The only good thing about the game was the amazing scale of the colossi which had me in awe...well for the first few anyway. The game was the most boring thing I touched and for the life of me I couldn't get the praise.
It's not that I don't like unique game styles, I loved okami, but I just felt there wasn't anything there worth all the praise. If I want a good story I'll go play Legacy of Kain: Defiance. At least I actually cared about the characters in that one.

WarDaft

Apr 3, 2010
You know it's only a matter of time before someone makes a SotC SC2 map.

Think Yahtzee would review it then?

evilpilch

Sep 22, 2010
Yers, one of the most awesomest ventures in gameplay ever. Quite frankly spectacular. I also loved the fact that the horse acted like a horse and not like a medieval car. Let me explain. In car games (GTA3x for example) cars act (quite understandably) like cars. You need to keep your foot on the accelerator to keep them moving, and you need to steer to avoid crashing into things. In games where horses are a form of transport, more often than not they act like the cars described above. Fallen Earth horses do this. However in SotC the horse actually acts like the intelligent animals it is. You gee it up a bit to get it going and then it goes, and you can actually take your finger off the button and it still goes. And if it comes to the edge of a cliff, it won't mindlessly bail over the edge like some equine car, it'll actually follow the clifftop, by itself! No steering necessary! And if you gallop into a shady grove, it'll get spooked and come to a halt, and it takes awhile to get it going again. Your steed actually has personality. Simple and effective. Marvelous.

Redgethebat

Aug 16, 2010
evilpilch said:
Yers, one of the most awesomest ventures in gameplay ever. Quite frankly spectacular. I also loved the fact that the horse acted like a horse and not like a medieval car. Let me explain. In car games (GTA3x for example) cars act (quite understandably) like cars. You need to keep your foot on the accelerator to keep them moving, and you need to steer to avoid crashing into things. In games where horses are a form of transport, more often than not they act like the cars described above. Fallen Earth horses do this. However in SotC the horse actually acts like the intelligent animals it is. You gee it up a bit to get it going and then it goes, and you can actually take your finger off the button and it still goes. And if it comes to the edge of a cliff, it won't mindlessly bail over the edge like some equine car, it'll actually follow the clifftop, by itself! No steering necessary! And if you gallop into a shady grove, it'll get spooked and come to a halt, and it takes awhile to get it going again. Your steed actually has personality. Simple and effective. Marvelous.
True. To bad it controlled like shit.