Zero Punctuation: Shadow of the Colossus

Redgethebat

Aug 16, 2010
For me, it wasn't that the Horse sections were too long and empty, but the game feels empty. It's just, like you said, a relatively small boss roster with nothing in between. If there had been more puzzles or platforming (actually I take that back, platforming with these controls isn't a good thing) between the bosses to play like actually levels, that would be better. It's not that I dislike the big empty lonely horses, it's just it feels like there should be something more in addition to them.

Zanaxal

Nov 14, 2007
people who claim starcraft 2 are this and that are the true "fanboys".

Fanbois of thinking the WORLDS most sold/played game for several years atleast is crap only due to in their demented worlds that something that good must be bad because it makes em feel important.

fact and closed.

Mordan Freeman

Apr 14, 2010
hawk533 said:
I laughed at the "Twoo Wuv" part. Again I am reminded of Princess Bride. "Mawwaige is what bwings us hewe today."
Great movie!

OT: It's so hard to find a used copy, but I was able to find one at gamestop near me (Thank god).

Ascarus

Feb 5, 2010
i'm so sad i never got around to playing this and i no longer have my PS2.

/grumble

SilentSh0tz

Feb 11, 2010
Amazing Game dude, glad you chose it. They need to make a sequel, even though they'd probably ruin the epicness of the whole game.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
SilentSh0tz said:
Amazing Game dude, glad you chose it. They need to make a sequel, even though they'd probably ruin the epicness of the whole game.
Ico is as close to a sequel as we'll get in that it's Wander's fault that the Horned Children came to be in the first place. I think the Queen is a remnant of Dormin somehow, but don't quote me on that. She DOES command the same kind of shadows you see watching Wander in his sleep after every kill...

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
WaffleGod said:
I don't quite know why Yahtzee reviews this game when there's SC2 to review. Isn't it your job as a reviewer to review games... Even though you think/know they're complete shit? As others already stated, I find it odd he reviews fucked up shitty "make a quick buck" games, but avoids certain really good games like the plague... Afraid to become too mainstream?
I don't quite know why people think Yahtzee hasn't reviewed SC2. He rips the game, the genre, and the people who play it every time he mentions the damn thing. You should be well aware of his opinion at this point, and you should definitely understand why he opts not to touch it in a formal review.

This isn't the first high-profile release he's refused to review, and it definitely won't be the last. That's been his tact from day one, and no amount of focused complaining will change that. Or at least I hope it doesn't, because I hate to see a guy compromise his convictions for mass appeal.

Although it would be fun to see him thoroughly trash the game AND dedicate a follow-up to his mailbag.

Azjenco

Feb 18, 2010
Zanaxal said:

Fanbois of thinking the WORLDS most sold/played game for several years atleast is crap only due to in their demented worlds that something that good must be bad because it makes em feel important.

fact and closed.
Wow, luckily your opinion goes above and beyond any reprieve... Sad little man...

(sigh) You know, I enjoy StarCraft, I also love World of Warcraft, or any other game Blizzard creates, purely for the amount of effort they place into each game they create, and how it clearly shines through in the end results. On the other hand I dislike playing driving games or any type of sport games. Now I don't go out of my way to bash them, especially not to people who enjoy them.

What I don't understand is, why cant you flaming idiots see that tastes differ? So you don't like something, deal with it. Why bash it? Is it out of insecurity that you cant grasp the enjoyment something brings someone else? There is a difference between giving your opinion and being ignorantly dim.

If you dislike StarCraft, then don't play it. If someone else enjoys him, grant it to him, it wont deteriorate the things you enjoy. So why try so hard to destroy the things he enjoys?

Humanity is pathetic...

Zanaxal

Nov 14, 2007
Azjenco said:
Zanaxal said:

fact and closed.
Wow, luckily your opinion goes above and beyond any reprieve... Sad little man...

(sigh) You know, I enjoy StarCraft, I also love World of Warcraft, or any other game Blizzard creates, purely for the amount of effort they place into each game they create, and how it clearly shines through in the end results. On the other hand I dislike playing driving games or any type of sport games. Now I don't go out of my way to bash them, especially not to people who enjoy them.

What I don't understand is, why cant you flaming idiots see that tastes differ? So you don't like something, deal with it. Why bash it? Is it out of insecurity that you cant grasp the enjoyment something brings someone else? There is a difference between giving your opinion and being ignorantly dim.

If you dislike StarCraft, then don't play it. If someone else enjoys him, grant it to him, it wont deteriorate the things you enjoy. So why try so hard to destroy the things he enjoys?

Humanity is pathetic...
Well a game can still be good and not like it ofc, like i said with SOC i dont think its anything great, but that doesn't mean i hate it to the extent of the SC2 haters on this board, which almost certainly is just trolling. Or some closet troll thinking he's looking at it in a objective manner.

Most frequent thing brought up is lan support. So SOTC don't have lan support or any multiplayer support?? do people hate on it for that?

You obviously missed the whole point of the post completely.

If you had read a few posts on this forum and see how much hate there is going towards the SC2 then you might have actually posted something constructive.

romxxii

Feb 18, 2010
I smell sockpuppets in the thread!

What I don't get is, if SC2 is such a great game, why one would need validation from Yahtzee, a man who has time and again stated his ambivalence towards RTSes in general, and who makes a living insulting videogames (and your mum) every Wednesday or Friday. It's like asking a Tourette's suffering quadriplegic to participate in a bloody marathon, or asking Simon Cowell to review a Dragonforce album. Remember kids, he criticizes games, he doesn't just review them.

It's like this friend of a friend who keeps insisting that SC2's a really great game, I shouldn't pre-judge it, yadda yadda, when I already told him that I never said it was bad, I'm just not buying it because I'm terrible at RTSes. I'm not that much of a masochist to try something that I already know will cause nothing but endless monitor-bashing frustration, especially when it costs $60.

As for the actual game reviewed, I agree that SoTC had some seriously buggy control issues, especially on horseback. Did I enjoy the game? When I was holding on for dear life to some giant mossy armpit hair working my way to the weak point, hell yeah I was. Not that GOTY for me though, considering the boring horse rides and bare framework of a plot. Does my opinion make this ZP any less funny for me? Hell no.

Pete359

Jun 29, 2009
Yahtzee's idea of a perfect game would be a Prince of Persia sequel where you're a disembodied breast navigating several giant colossi using a Portal gun while looking for your hot missing wife while listening to the soundtrack for Fantasy World Dizzy.

noogai18

Feb 21, 2008
I got Shadow of the Colossus a few years back, and it was no fun. I had no reason to care about the guy, the girl, the horse, or anything else in the game. On the opposite, StarCraft 2 actually has characters. They have motives, backgrounds, and develop over the course of the game.

And, if you use Halo Wars and the Total War games as the basis for all your RTS opinion, you're being willfully ignorant. WarCraft, Dawn of War, StarCraft and Age of Empires all have fundamental differences, and while we classify them all as RTS games, there are such major differences between them all that saying they're just like Total War or Halo Wars makes you a nimrod.

And while simply clicking your marines around can't compete with the snake thing, holding against a limitless swarm and getting pushed back to the crest of a hill to defend a superweapon while it powers up and detonates as your bunkers are surrounded and your remaining cruisers desperately try to hold off the bigger creatures easily does.

LostTimeLady

Dec 17, 2009
I NEED to play this game. It looks amazing, it's finding a copy of it for less than the price of a new PS3 game that's the problem.

Great review for Yahzee this week (people have already mentioned the X chromosome thing so I don't need to).

Also, is it just me or has he toned down the swearing? That's no complaint, the less swearing, the more room for wit in my opinion.

Redgethebat

Aug 16, 2010
LostTimeLady said:
I NEED to play this game. It looks amazing, it's finding a copy of it for less than the price of a new PS3 game that's the problem.

Great review for Yahzee this week (people have already mentioned the X chromosome thing so I don't need to).

Also, is it just me or has he toned down the swearing? That's no complaint, the less swearing, the more room for wit in my opinion.
"Also she seems to confuse swearing for wit. THAT'S MY THING!" -Yahtzee in the Wet review.

Azjenco

Feb 18, 2010
Zanaxal said:
Azjenco said:
Zanaxal said:

fact and closed.

Humanity is pathetic...
Well a game can still be good and not like it ofc, like i said with SOC i dont think its anything great, but that doesn't mean i hate it to the extent of the SC2 haters on this board, which almost certainly is just trolling. Or some closet troll thinking he's looking at it in a objective manner.

Most frequent thing brought up is lan support. So SOTC don't have lan support or any multiplayer support?? do people hate on it for that?

You obviously missed the whole point of the post completely.

If you had read a few posts on this forum and see how much hate there is going towards the SC2 then you might have actually posted something constructive.
Sorry man, in hindsight I was unfair and I did miss the point of your post by a mile.

I can't understand how people moan so much about lan support. Blizzard can - and most probably eventually will - add it in a future update. Battle.net has been upgraded immensely and works brilliantly. For all intents and purposes it is lanning from the comfort of your home. Only problem comes from organizing small tournaments or even a local get together, which still seems moot if you take in the party system, Real ID, and ladder league features. It's better than lanning a tournament if you ask me.

As for constructive input, why bother I ask you. I have read the posts that came before and while some defend it, about 90% of the criticism came in the form of, SCII is lame because I can't play strategy games therefore it must be lame as well, or the game is over hyped and we all know hype is wrong so I wont play it because judging from all the hype it must be overly lame, and naturally the people who hate fan boys just for the sake of hating something in their meaningless existence to give themselves some sense of purpose.

There is not much you can say to defend the game constructively if people troll on in a moronic manner. I'm thinking you implied much the same as I do here that people don't try to play the game before judging it, or even go into the game with the mindset to even give it a fair chance. Like my girlfriend always say: don't argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you through experience.

It's sad how people cant be satisfied no matter how good a thing you deliver. They moan that SCII is so unchanged, it's basically the first game with a graphics overhaul. But change the game and people moan that it's not the same game anymore and practically ruined. What exactly do you want then? People like that are pampered little brats and nothing in life will satisfy them.

As for people who go on about how not-so-strategic RTS games are, well that takes time. SCI is considered the most balanced game to date, only because balance patches were still being released many years after the game was launched. Most RTS games don't have years, or are too unbalanced to begin with.

To me SCII was a vivid experience, much like its predecessor. As where games like Mass Effect 1 and 2, Assassin's Creed 1 and 2, Knights of the Old Republic, Warcraft 1 through 3, Diablo 1 and 2, Half Life, Resident Evil 2, C&C Red Alert, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Dune 2...
These were all games that defined true experiences for me. To you they may differ, and I will grant you that. Why try diminish it to you just because I took nothing away.

Lastly, and this is what gets to me, proving we are spoiled to levels of stupidity. We live in an age where mediums of experience are refined to pique our senses unlike any generations before. Until the previous millennium people only had books, still an awesome medium to stimulate the imagination. The previous generation were given film and television, which is still evolving today, even into a three dimensional art form. We grew up on a next level, experiencing story not only in our thoughts or as a spectator, but as a participant.

If you cant see that then you are blind, stupid, or pampered beyond repair. Yes, some books, films, and games are of lesser quality, but beyond those we can at least appreciate the many that strive further. Granted we are different beings of different tastes, so enjoy the forms of entertainment crafted towards you. If you look at things through the perspective of fanboy rubbish or beneath you omnipotence, then congratulations you empty void of a soul, you are the evolved form of fucked up.

Sash'Rahaal

Feb 12, 2010
Oh this game. I love this game like no other.
One thing I noticed that wasn't mentioned was how well the soundtrack worked with the game.
Whenever you killed a colossus, it would com crashing down to earth, and it would play that awe-struck, perhaps even remorseful track that makes you realize that this unimaginably ancient creature has just died. It's been killed, by you. A scrawny little kid with a fancy little sword who wants to cheat the natural order of things and bring his dead girlfriend back to life.
It makes me feel like I'm the antagonist. I'm killing mountains for the sake of a grain of sand.

ray2k6

Mar 23, 2009
Yahtzee, You Twat, You didn't even give Starcraft 2 a try. Judging a book by its cover I see. You did review Brutal Legends, Red Alert 3, and Halo Wars. What's wrong trying out another RTS?

DAOWAce

Aug 7, 2007
Country
US
I never thought Yahtzee would review SotC. To be honest I haven't even played it, just heard nothing but good things over the years. It's on my 'to play' list though.

That said, I'd like to see him criticize Starcraft 2, but it wouldn't be right if he hasn't played Starcraft.

In my opinion? I gave Starcraft a 10 and Starcraft 2 a 6.5. Yeah, Blizzard ruined it for me.