Zero Punctuation: Shadow of the Colossus

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
:D

DAMN GOOD DAMN DAMN GOOD DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN GOOD Review.

Loved this one the most of all and I had been anticipating for almost more than a year that Yahtzee would review Shadow of the Colossus and now.....WHOOHOO is all I can say :D

alexbaxthedarkside

May 21, 2009
Nice one people at the escapist, I love the new format for Yahtzee's videos!
its nice and easy to skip back to earlier bits in the vid and over all is a nice improvement. Love all your work on this website
best of luck with all the new episodes to come Yahtzees, Love em! :)

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
On the strength of this review, I bought a copy of the game at Fry's ($18.00). I just finished killing the salamander (what a huge pain in the patoot), and am now working on the turtle in the geyser field.

The horse doesn't steer very well. And my mastery of the controls is still questionable.

The game actually feels kinda puzzling. I'm so used all kinds of stuff going on all the time that SotC feels enormous, barren, and lonely. I almost want to sit down and have conversations with the lizards that infrequently dot the landscape. When I encountered a small slow-moving turtle on my way to Colossus 6 (I think), I wondered if its appearance was significant.

It's a very lonely quest this guy is on. And the first time the licorice twizzlers entered his body after killing the first Colossus, it was obvious things would not end well for him, making the story kinda bleak as well.

Diddemannen

Oct 31, 2010
Shadow of the Colossus is, despite its flaws, a prime example of how a game can ascend far above the hundreds of other titles competing for our interests.

Still feel bad about colossi no. 13, Phalanx. He didn't even attempt to attack you, the poor bastard :(

UltraStationJin

Jul 2, 2008
Wait.What?

Shooting things increased your holding endurance?

Regardless, loved this game.

A very bittersweet and melancholy quest. A shame I could never find a copy of ICO afterwards.

Psyko

Nov 8, 2010
About time, was waiting for you to do this review, and its pretty accurate too. SOC was a masterpiece, along with okami its one of those 15 minutes of fame jobs that get fuck all funding. i really really really really hope they put it onto future platforms and maybe even by the blessing of god update some textures and sounds. twould be killer.

jimgreer

Aug 25, 2009
Psyko said:
i really really really really hope they put it onto future platforms and maybe even by the blessing of god update some textures and sounds. twould be killer.
There's an "HD" combo release of Shadow of the Collosus and ICO coming out for PS3 next spring: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/09/hd-icosotc-remake-official-last-guardian-coming-in-2011.ars

I was about to buy a used copy but I think I'll wait for this. Happy memories.

Psyko

Nov 8, 2010
jimgreer said:
Psyko said:
i really really really really hope they put it onto future platforms and maybe even by the blessing of god update some textures and sounds. twould be killer.
There's an "HD" combo release of Shadow of the Collosus and ICO coming out for PS3 next spring: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/09/hd-icosotc-remake-official-last-guardian-coming-in-2011.ars

I was about to buy a used copy but I think I'll wait for this. Happy memories.
Win! but wait, what the fuck is a "European ending"? Im from Ireland, we get the same shit endings that the rest of the world gets. do they project an upside down bowl of black and white fruit onto a tree or somthing like german expressionist art? they should stick with the originals, i knew they would ruin somthing, theres always somone in one of these studios that thinks they can fix everything by being innovative. well at least its going to be in 3D with a good enough frame rate. :D

Sir Bames Jond

Apr 2, 2011
I really enjoy the theme of exploration and the contrasting gameplay in SotC, but the controls (Mind you, this was on the early PS2, when varied control schemes were still groovy) make me want to shoot furious blood out of my eyes. There was rarely a point playing that game that I pressed X actually trying to summon my horse, instead of while trying to stab Mister snake monster.

Ultima228_v1legacy

Mar 23, 2009
And Studioforce get's their name mentioned for the last time in history (hopefully) forever, may they never raise a gutiar to play another stupidly fast song again.

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
Recently bought this after hearing all the praise it got and especially the adoration Yahtzee gives it as evident in this review. It did frustrate me most profusely for the first two Colossi. After stabbing the first in the ankle I had no idea where to go from there and died continuously in my efforts to grab onto something. I eventually noticed that I could grab onto some of his armour just above the ankle. As for the second beast, after I stabbed it in the head I was led to believe, using my own powers of observation, that the next place I was required to hurt were the eyes as these turned blue, the same colour as the symbol for stabbing on the flesh. So I desperately tried and failed many, many times to get to them and poke them out. My reason for believing this was the solution was because once I fell off and had to begin climbing for the hundreth time, the eyes returned to their previous orange. I eventually resorted to a guide in my unending frustration and discovered the next attack point wasn't the eyes at all but the bloody rear end! To say I was miffe, having wasted probably an hour or so, is an understatment.

I feel a slightly more extensive tutorial on all the game mechanics or perhaps adding a optional hint system would have been better. I had, of course, totaly forgotten that the sword could be used as a homing beacon to highlight what part you had to attack next. A reminder for us more forgetful people would have been nice. In fact I had to find hints on the internet for the next three colossi, at least enough to get me on the right track and this is probably either a failing on my part or an over-reliance on in-game hints or prompts.

Now that I'm in the swing of things however I've come to appreciate the brilliance of this game, the 5 Colossi I've faced thus far have all blown me away in their scale and variety and the desolate, remote plains make up for some wonderful breathing space in between battles. Yahtzee's right, I can't wait to see the next colossus, I just hope the game can maintain the momentum for 11 more fights. I also wish I could get this on HD, damn PS3 exclusivity.

Chunko

Aug 2, 2009
He made a mistake in the beginning, he said she was the only character with an X chromosome. Guys have X chromosomes as well, girls just don't have Y chromosomes.

JagerBombastic

Mar 3, 2014
And the game still holds up even by today's standards, which admittedly have only gotten more dull as time has gone on.